PDA

View Full Version : Holiday in Suzdal

Suzdal
03-12-2003, 08:50
Looking for a place to get away over the holidays? Spend some time in the classically beautiful town of Suzdal. Take a one horse open sleigh ride across the countryside - enjoy banya life at it's finest at the newly constructed Hot Banya complex - dine at one of several good reasonably priced restaurants or just explore the town on foot and enjoy the special celebrations there throughout the holidays. If you aren't familiar with Suzdal, this site will tell you a little about the town. http://www.suzdal.com/suzdal/index-e.asp Here are some pictures - http://www.suzdal.ru/razdel5.php

For about the price of a hotel room, you can rent our village house there. Totally renovated with new bath and kitchen, it's located on a 60 sotok site overlooking the river. Perfect for a family or couples, it even has a working wood burning Russian stove. There is cross country skiing right out the back door - snowmobiles can be rented across the frozen river at the tour center.

If you don't have a car, there are commuter trains from Kurskaya Station to nearby Vladimir - a 250 ruble taxi ride from there to Suzdal or take a bus from Moscow directly to the town.

For further information, email me at wilgus@online.ru

Billie Bob
03-12-2003, 21:07
and the price tag?

:rules:

nothing is stated above...

but does sound interesting

DaveUKagain
03-12-2003, 21:42
Got some pictures of it in a book about the zolotnoye koltso here, and it looks really nice. However, it`s also the place where that famous "toilet" photo comes from in another thread. ;-)))))) Anyway, Russian public toilets are the same all over, and it sounds like a great getaway.

I`ve always wanted to see the Cathedral of the Nativity there. Hell of a sight.

More to Russia than Moscow, of course ! ;-))))

DaveUKagain
03-12-2003, 21:47
Hope the original poster doesn`t mind, but I included a pic from the site here.....

Nice chance to see historical Russia and the "Golden Ring" towns, folks !

Jet
03-12-2003, 21:58
Guys, what about Sochi?? Anybody has any info?

DaveUKagain
03-12-2003, 22:03
Well, I used to pay for my fiancee to go on holiday there. ;-)) Lovely place, but I believe it can be expensive, Jet Li. ;-))) Putin holidays there. Really nice, I hear. There`s also Adler, Pyatigorsk - lovely part of the world.

Flight should be about two hours from Moscow - it`s 90 mins to Volgograd, and Sochi`s just down the road from there.

Jet
03-12-2003, 23:54
I hope u did go with her to Sochi??

DaveUKagain
04-12-2003, 00:37
Ha, no - she just got the money off me to go on her own, Jet Li. ;-) I couldn`t go because of work commitments - mind you, that WAS in a previous life. ;-))))))))))

Sochi`s supposed to be very nice indeed - don`t know what the weather is like at the moment, but - Black Sea coast..... ;-))))

Suzdal
04-12-2003, 19:38
We actually have two village houses for rent in Suzdal - both are real village houses with log interiors.

The first which I described on the 60 sotok site has just been renovated - directly on the river across from the tour center. It rents for $190 for a long weekend and $35 for each additional night.

Second village house is right in the center across the street from a beautiful monastary - view is of the river and cathedrals on a hill. Two large rooms in this log house - nice bath and kitchen - lots of village antiques. fenced in private yard. We haven't renovated the outside yet - the facade is peeling. this one is $150 for long weekend and $25 per additional day.

Both are very clean and cozy - our friends love staying at them.

Billie Bob
04-12-2003, 22:27
sochi is great and can reccomend where to stay and eat.

we have an expat who lives down there, if ya need contacts let me know. I've been to sochi plenty of times, actually know the entire black sea coast no problem, from adler to anapa.

polly
07-12-2003, 07:26
can foreign nationals actually get into adler? for some reason i think this is in adzharia or abkhazia???? i've got friends who go down to that area nearly every year. we get invited, and then -- *oops*, i'm a yankette. can't go. heard it's really gorgeous, tho.

Jet
07-12-2003, 15:32
Billie Bob, is it worth to go to Sochi for a weekend??

DaveUKagain
07-12-2003, 20:44
Originally posted by polly
can foreign nationals actually get into adler? for some reason i think this is in adzharia or abkhazia???? i've got friends who go down to that area nearly every year. we get invited, and then -- *oops*, i'm a yankette. can't go. heard it's really gorgeous, tho.

Hiya Polly - got some photos of my ex there. It`s an absolutely fantastic place. Cheap, too. Don`t know about the travel requirements / visa situation, though. Also got some shots from Pyatigorsk and it is just utterly breathtaking scenery. A lot of the sanitoria are down there - y`know how it`s Russian culture to recover from an op in clean air and pleasant natural surroundings ? Absolutely amazing place.

kniga
07-12-2003, 22:53
Suzdal is a beautiful, peaceful place full of history and a good look at the Russia that used to be. There used to be a rule that no structure could be more than two storeys high so as not to block the view or be higher than the churches, I was told some years back. A tour of any of the churches is well worth the time as the interiors are even more beautiful and intriguing than the exteriors.

DaveUKagain
08-12-2003, 01:40
I think you`re right about the rule, Kniga - I think it`s still in force. (Not sure though.)

Got a book here on the Golden Ring towns published in the late 80`s. Just to give you a brief rundown -the Golden Rign is a selection of preserved towns from the 12th-17th centuries. If you thought Russia was all mikorayons and Soviet kvarteri - then this`ll be an eye opener for you. Unbelievable medieval architecture - preserved churches - something indeed to see.

The towns I`ve got pictures of in my book (and would dearly like to visit )are -

Zagorsk
Pereslavl - Zalessky
Rostov Veliky
Yaroslavl
Vladimir
Suzdal
Ivanovo

Go do a search, folks. Russia ain`t all the same, and if you`re a history buff and want to see something very different, I think you`ll find it here. ;-))))))

toka1111
14-12-2003, 16:55
Originally posted by polly

Adler is a part of the so called Big Sochi. The reason for the name "Big Sochi" is that except for the town of Sochi ther are a few villages and tiny towns strung along the Black Sea coast. Adler is located right after the town of Sochi and is the closest to Russian/Georgian (Abkhazian) border - but is still very much Russian :) A Sochi airport is located there. I've never heard of foreigners prohibited to visit Adler... doubt that Russian military bases in Abkhazia could be a reason... can ask my friend, Sochi's her home town.

Suzdal
19-12-2003, 17:18
There is an expat in Souchi who has a very good website on what to do - places to stay etc.- also can answer most of your questions. Here it it - I just found it. http://www.russianriviera.com/

Suzdal
23-12-2003, 12:42
Sorry but we are now completed booked through the Russian Christmas. For those of you looking for something very special after the holidays, in addition to the two village houses we are renting out our brand new 230sqm log home there. Adorned with intricate wood carving, it is one of the village's prettiest houses. It comes with a country style gourmet kitchen, large sauna, jacuzzi. Great for a group or company gitaway.

Suzdal
28-12-2003, 19:51
Due to problems with deposits, we still have some days open over the New Years/Russian Christmas holiday for couples or a group.