View Full Version : Jose Mourinho leaves Chelsea

Len Ganley Stance
20-09-2007, 06:56
From this morning's newspapers -

Mourinho severs his ties with Chelsea

Dominic Fifield
Thursday September 20, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

Jose Mourinho has astonishingly called time on a glittering three-year reign as Chelsea's manager by severing his ties with the deposed Premier League champions. Long-standing differences with the club's owner, Roman Abramovich, have re-emerged so strongly that they have forced him into the drastic step of leaving the club.

The Portuguese contacted his captain, John Terry, and other senior players at Stamford Bridge last night to indicate that he would be going, his relationship with Abramovich, fractious at best last season, having deteriorated further. More talks are likely between Mourinho's representatives and the club's hierarchy over the remaining years of his £5.2m-a-year contract, which runs until 2010, with compensation close to being agreed

The resignation came as a huge disappointment to Chelsea's players and will shock the club's supporters. Mourinho's backroom staff will be leaving with him, including his assistant manager Steve Clarke. Avram Grant, the club's director of football, is set to take charge of the team for the visit to their arch rivals Manchester United on Sunday.
The resignation came in the wake of a crisis meeting between Mourinho and Abramovich after Tuesday's draw against Rosenborg in the opening round of the Champions League. The manager is expected at the Cobham training ground today to say his goodbyes.

Under Mourinho the club ended a 50-year wait for the league championship by claiming the title in 2005, a feat they repeated a year later. Last season may have seen the title surrendered to Manchester United but there was success in the FA Cup and Carling Cup, and a second Champions League semi-final under the Portuguese in three years.

Although that is the furthest Chelsea have progressed in Europe's elite competition, the manager's failure to emulate his staggering achievement in winning the Champions League in 2004 while at his previous club, Porto, has undoubtedly contributed to the breakdown in his relationship with Abramovich.

In addition there were ructions over the role afforded to Frank Arnesen as the club's head of youth development and the appointment of Grant, a move which was initially opposed by Mourinho, who believed it undermined his power base. He was further upset by the refusal of the club to sanction the purchase of a centre-half during the January transfer window and by the signing last summer of the £30m Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack against his wishes.

That prompted persistent suggestions that last season would be Mourinho's last at the club, particularly given the side's failure to retain the Premier League title. Such speculation was rejected by the manager this year. "There are only two ways for me to leave Chelsea," he said at the time. "One way is in June 2010 when I finish my contract and if the club doesn't give me a new one. It is the end of my contract and I am out. The second way is for Chelsea to sack me. The way of the manager leaving the club by deciding to walk away, no chance! I will never do this to Chelsea supporters."

The reality is somewhat different today. Although there have been public shows of unity between owner and manager since then, not least on the side's pre-season tour of California, the simmering antipathy has remained and the relationship deteriorated further during a sloppy start to this campaign. Chelsea lost at Aston Villa, were fortunate to draw at Liverpool and failed to beat Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, with a team denied key players through injury labouring to cope with the hierarchy's sudden demand for more stylish football.

Mourinho has always been a practical manager, putting emphasis more on results than swagger, but Abramovich made a point in talks over the summer that he expected a more expansive and attractive game from the club he has bankrolled to the tune of some £500m since 2003. The Russian was not appeased by domestic cup success last term and remains deeply frustrated by Chelsea's inability to secure a first European Cup.

He cut an angry figure as he strode across the turf at a deserted Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night after the embarrassing 1-1 draw with Rosenborg, the lowest ranked team in the competition proper and a side with only one away win in the Champions League in 20 matches. Chelsea are still expected to progress in the group but the nature of the performance did little to convince Abramovich that they are a side capable of claiming the trophy he covets most of all.

Even so the loss of the self-proclaimed "Special One" is startling. The club's chief executive, Peter Kenyon, outlined Chelsea's vision of the future this week, insisting: "There's loads of speculation that if we don't win Jose gets fired, but that's not the way we think. It's about building and it's about winning it in a style, in a manner, which I think is befitting of the best clubs in Europe." Abramovich is likely to target his friend Guus Hiddink, particularly should Russia fail to qualify for Euro 2008, as a potential replacement.

Len Ganley Stance
20-09-2007, 08:58
From the Times........

Jose Mourinho leaves Chelsea after bust-up

José Mourinho dramatically left Chelsea with immediate effect yesterday after a final bust-up with Roman Abramovich. Late last night there was growing evidence that the manager had not walked out on the club but had been dismissed.

Mourinho is understood to have contacted five senior players in the afternoon to tell them that he was leaving, without offering any detailed explanation for his sudden departure.

He is believed to have phoned Frank Lampard before sending text messages to several other players, telling them only that he had had enough and would not see them again. The exact circumstances behind his departure are already being disputed, but Jorge Mendes, Mourinho’s agent, is expected to fly to London today to negotiate a payoff.

The news of Mourinho’s departure appears to have taken many of Chelsea’s senior executives by surprise. Peter Kenyon, the chief executive, Bruce Buck, the chairman, and Abramovich’s key aide, Eugene Tenenbaum, were called to an emergency meeting at Stamford Bridge last night to discuss the crisis.
That meeting broke up at 1.20 this morning and Tenenbaum left without making any comment.

The majority of Chelsea’s staff and players had been enjoying a relaxing evening at a cinema at Fulham Broadway watching a screening of Blue Revolution, a new documentary about the Abramovich years, but were called away to deal with revolutionary events of their own. Abramovich, the billionaire owner, had cancelled a business trip earlier in the day to hold talks with Tenenbaum, although they were initially thought to be about the poor attendance for Tuesday’s Champions League draw with Rosenborg rather than the manager’s future.

Mourinho’s relationship with Abramovich appears to have become fractured beyond repair. He has barely been on speaking terms with the Russian since a huge row erupted in January over a lack of funds to sign players during the transfer window, Mourinho’s reluctance to play Andriy Shevchenko and the owner’s desire to bring in Avram Grant to work with the misfiring striker. The former Israel coach was recruited in the summer as director of football as a fragile peace broke out, but it has proved to be brief.

Mourinho and Abramovich are said to have exchanged strong words after Saturday’s goalless draw against Blackburn Rovers. Abramovich spent time searching for a replacement as their relationship soured at the end of last season, making a firm offer to Jürgen Klinsmann, but he reluctantly decided to give Mourinho one more season.

Mourinho — whose £5.2 million-a-year contract was to expire in 2010 — has long since concluded that he was not being allowed to do his job. His authority was undermined by Abramovich’s decision to recruit Frank Arnesen from Tottenham Hotspur as director of scouting and youth development in May 2005 and further eroded by the signing of Shevchenko and the arrival of Grant, who is well placed to take over as a caretaker manager.

Mourinho’s departure brings to an end a stormy three-year reign during which he ended Chelsea’s 50-year wait for the league title, following up with a second championship, but failed to realise Abramovich’s dream of conquering Europe. Chelsea must search for a replacement, with Guus Hiddink, Klinsmann and Didier Deschamps, the former Juventus coach, likely to be targeted for one of the most highly rewarded but highpressure jobs in world football.

Judge
20-09-2007, 09:34
Great news, this has made my morning...:applause::applause::applause:

I hope he joins another english club, would hate to see him leave,always a laigh when he opens his trap....The self-styled "Special One" MY ARSE...

Well Len, that's Chelsea out of the race for league. 3 horse race now. :ak::ak::ak:

Sidney Bliss
20-09-2007, 09:37
It's common knowledge that things ain't been too rosy in the Chelsea camp for quite some time now but this still comes as a major surprise. Mourinho for Spurs anyone?

Len Ganley Stance
20-09-2007, 10:32
Great news, this has made my morning...:applause::applause::applause:

I hope he joins another english club, would hate to see him leave,always a laigh when he opens his trap....The self-styled "Special One" MY ARSE...

Well Len, that's Chelsea out of the race for league. 3 horse race now. :ak::ak::ak:

This was a huge surprise to me. Chelsea have made a poor start to the season by their standards, but they are only two points off the top of the table. They also have some very important players injured at the moment – Lampard / Drogba – who based on the last two seasons are worth thirty plus goals to the team plus Carvalho, who is a class defender and Chelsea concede less goals when he is fit because he’s very good at organizing the back four. He’s better at it than John Terry is, in my opinion.

It just seems to be a knee-jerk reaction by Roman and it’s hard to believe all of this stuff that Roman wants Chelsea to play more attractive football. What your average Chelsea supporter wants, is their club to win Silverware and Jose has done a pretty good job on that front.

There have been problems at Chelsea for ages though, and Mourinho did not want to sign either Shevchenko or Ballack, both who have contributed nothing to the team, other than to cause unreast in the dressing room because of their high salaries and lack of contribution on the pitch. The appointment of Avrim Grant who is a mate of Shevchenko’s has also cost Chelsea dearly. Jose was against the appointment from day-one and when he was told by the powers-that-be at Chelsea that Grant was seen as a replacement for Jose’s Assistant, Steve Clarke, Jose told them ‘If Clarke goes, I go’. Fair play to him for standing up for his staff and not getting pushed around. Grant did join the club but has not been allowed to meddle in first team affairs. I’d put money on that he’ll be in charge as a Caretaker-Manager against United this weekend though.

Another problem for Jose was Frank Arnessen (sp?). He was brought in to buy players and Jose was up in arms over this, and rightly so.

I don’t think that you should write Chelsea’s chances in the League just yet – they have too many good players in their squad. Whoever is appointed as Manager though, will have his work cut out in the dressing room as Jose’s dismissal is going to cost a lot of unrest and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the senior players, slap transfer requests in.

Who will get the job? Hiddink has been mentioned in all of the papers but I’m not convinced that he would be the right-man-for-the-job, as I doubt that he will be able to win the senior players over and the teams he’s managed have never been renowned for their attacking flair. If Roman is serious about wanting to be ‘loved’ through Chelsea playing more attractive football, I think that they need someone more charismatic than Hiddink. The man I’d say could do that and would have respect from the players is Jurgen Klinsmann.

Personally, I’d like to see them appoint Graeme Souness :).

Mourinho for Spurs anyone?

No, that would be funny and not beyond the realms of possibility. I can actually see Jose being SAF’s replacement at Old Trafford next season.

DJ Biscuit
20-09-2007, 13:50
It's common knowledge that things ain't been too rosy in the Chelsea camp for quite some time now but this still comes as a major surprise. Mourinho for Spurs anyone?

How fickle we are, I detested the man, but as a Spurs supporter I would suddenly find him to be a great manager if he did join The Pride of London.

Judge
20-09-2007, 22:17
Gus Hiddink isn't really a club coach, he's good with national teams who have done nothing for years,but running a club day to day will be out of his league.If Roman doesn't appoint a coach in the next few weeks and Russia don't make it to next years finals then Gus could be the man in charge come xmas.
If Chelsea want to keep things the same,they should get in the Italian maestro Capello.

Seeing Jose at Spurs will be the trick of the century if Spurs pull this off,you never know anything could happen in football.If Jose stays in England,London will be the place for him and the Spurs job will let him have a few digs at Chelsea,imagine the Spurs vs Chelsea games.:bash::bash::bash:

Judge
20-09-2007, 22:53
Len wrote '' it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the senior players, slap transfer requests in.'' this is something i can't wait for, a few good players will want to leave and could be snapped up on the cheap.Lampard hasn't signed a new contract,he could leave...The break up of Chelsea will be a good thing to see.

Drogba / Torres :nut::nut::nut:

Sidney Bliss
21-09-2007, 09:50
Gus Hiddink isn't really a club coach, he's good with national teams who have done nothing for years,but running a club day to day will be out of his league.

I'm not so sure about that, Judge. He was none too shabby during his last stint at PSV - two titles in two years if memory serves.

Judge
21-09-2007, 23:53
I'm not so sure about that, Judge. He was none too shabby during his last stint at PSV - two titles in two years if memory serves.

I didn't know about his time at PSV,but fair enough,pretty good to win back to back leagues,but the english prem league is a whole new thing, different from the weak Dutch league.

thewanderer
22-09-2007, 00:40
Len wrote '' it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the senior players, slap transfer requests in.'' this is something i can't wait for, a few good players will want to leave and could be snapped up on the cheap.Lampard hasn't signed a new contract,he could leave...The break up of Chelsea will be a good thing to see.

Drogba / Torres :nut::nut::nut:

Same thought had me salivating a bit, but I can't see Roman selling a lot of players off unless they really press. I wouldn't hate seeing Drogba in a red kit (although it would take me a bit to get used to not hating him), but I'd really like to see Malouda or even SWP to come in and nail down the left wing. Could stand to have Carvalho in the side also, but I don't think he'd want to come to sit on the bench behind Agger and Carragher.

Judge
22-09-2007, 00:58
I'm not too sure about SWP,good player but for me drifts out of games to often,he's not the player like he was at Man City,maybe that's down to his move to Chelsea,but if we pick him up for 8/9 mil,it might be bargain.
Drogba would just like Torres even better because he's already played in the prem leauge.

Carvalho , no thanks, waste of time.