PDA

View Full Version : Would this ever happen in Russia?

BrandonL
27-12-2011, 11:06
http://news.yahoo.com/colo-man-returns-10-000-found-vegas-airport-014248738.html

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) A Colorado man who found $10,000 before boarding a flight in Las Vegas says he returned the money to the owner because he wanted to show his children it was "the right thing to do."
Greenwood Village resident Mitch Gilbert told KUSA-TV he found two unmarked Caesar's Palace envelopes at the airport and realized there was money inside when he arrived home. The television station reported Monday (http://goo.gl/7aqpU ) that Gilbert called the airport and eventually got in touch with a man from El Paso, Texas, who reported the money missing.
Gilbert says he deposited the money in the man's bank account two days before Christmas. The man told the television station he won the money gambling and dropped it while running to catch a flight.

once again it shows America's unselfishness and generosity to others

FatAndy
27-12-2011, 11:32
http://www.taxi-forum.ru/node/1147
Our taxist is a bit more generous - 15K oiros vs 10K dirty greeen papers

http://smi.cek.ru/lenins-change-of-nizhny-novgorod/71861-Taksist-vernyl-klienty-zabitie-50-tisyach-ryblei.html
50K rub

Benedikt
27-12-2011, 15:05
http://news.yahoo.com/colo-man-returns-10-000-found-vegas-airport-014248738.html

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) A Colorado man who found $10,000 before boarding a flight in Las Vegas says he returned the money to the owner because he wanted to show his children it was "the right thing to do."
Greenwood Village resident Mitch Gilbert told KUSA-TV he found two unmarked Caesar's Palace envelopes at the airport and realized there was money inside when he arrived home. The television station reported Monday (http://goo.gl/7aqpU ) that Gilbert called the airport and eventually got in touch with a man from El Paso, Texas, who reported the money missing.
Gilbert says he deposited the money in the man's bank account two days before Christmas. The man told the television station he won the money gambling and dropped it while running to catch a flight.

i think it is people who make things happen, never mind where they are and where they come from. and a good home where one is thought what is right or wrong and the right thing to do.

robertmf
27-12-2011, 16:17
... Gilbert says he deposited the money in the man's bank account two days before Christmas. The man told the television station he won the money gambling and dropped it while running to catch a flight.

In lost & found cases like this, it's customary here for Gilbert to get a reward from the El Paso man.

mrzuzzo
27-12-2011, 16:21
What does this have to do with Russia? I read stories about people returning money all the time... I think recently some guy returned over a million rubles that fell out of a mail truck (Russian Post has some money handling business).. It all depends on the person.

Are you saying that all Americans would return money that they found?

It's not a big deal, and I don't see why Brandon is trying to instigate hate against Russia. If you don't like it here, maybe you should go back to where you came from?

Viola
27-12-2011, 16:22
The man told the television station he won the money gambling and dropped it while running to catch a flight.

Easy come, easy go...

BrandonL
27-12-2011, 17:06
What does this have to do with Russia? I read stories about people returning money all the time... I think recently some guy returned over a million rubles that fell out of a mail truck (Russian Post has some money handling business).. It all depends on the person.

Are you saying that all Americans would return money that they found?

It's not a big deal, and I don't see why Brandon is trying to instigate hate against Russia. If you don't like it here, maybe you should go back to where you came from?

Don't worry buddy, I'll be leaving soon) three months left in Russia, and I'm out

moscowmail
27-12-2011, 17:15
Don't worry buddy, I'll be leaving soon) three months left in Russia, and I'm out

Brando, first, sorry to hear you are leaving, I don't think he was having a go at you, I think his point is good, the way you worded you thread was that only in the US this can happen, to be fair, it happens all over the World, I am glad to see such a story, renews my faith in mankind so to speak

I think the best question would have been.. what would you (expat readers) do if you found it

BrandonL
27-12-2011, 17:19
Brando, first, sorry to hear you are leaving, I don't think he was having a go at you, I think his point is good, the way you worded you thread was that only in the US this can happen, to be fair, it happens all over the World, I am glad to see such a story, renews my faith in mankind so to speak

I think the best question would have been.. what would you (expat readers) do if you found it

I'm not applying it happens only in America.

I just see a lot of Russians, as people who look out only for themselves(and friends) and not others. Again, that's my opinion.

robertmf
27-12-2011, 17:23
... I think the best question would have been.. what would you (expat readers) do if you found it ?

I vote with Viola :evilgrin:

Easy come, easy go...

Besides, cash in an envelope ... :whisper: El Paso is right across the border from drug border towns of Mexico.

:shamp::shamp::shamp::shamp::drink::shamp::shamp::shamp::shamp:

moscowmail
27-12-2011, 18:08
I'm not applying it happens only in America.

I just see a lot of Russians, as people who look out only for themselves(and friends) and not others. Again, that's my opinion.

Fair enough, my opinion, you are not hanging around with the right crowd, MOST Russians I know, and I know quite a lot, are honest, and are an-unselfish lot, yes they look out for themselves, but the ones I know would have no hesitation helping others out as much as they can, but as I said, I respect your opinion

L'oiseau bleu
27-12-2011, 20:03
Just recently one really nice American announced she is leaving the country for another one - she found a nice place in HK. She spent here 10 years, made terrific carrier, got great amount of money and had over 40 people from all possible countries for her farewell party.
this is what could be called decent leave. Farewell of person who really did smth here and succeeded, who learnt hard instead of sticking lables to other lucky ones around, who did not get irritated by the fact that not every Russian kissed her for greeting. and who does not have even a thought to fart to people before leave. she is leaving but beautiful smell of friendliness and love is staying with us. and high professionalism of course...
sorry for offtop, Brandon

Benedikt
28-12-2011, 07:55
Fair enough, my opinion, you are not hanging around with the right crowd, MOST Russians I know, and I know quite a lot, are honest, and are an-unselfish lot, yes they look out for themselves, but the ones I know would have no hesitation helping others out as much as they can, but as I said, I respect your opinion

and i am not making up the stories.
on a train trip i forgot my my bag under the pillow when leaving. did not notice it until i was home, when i was looking for the keys. went to the offices of the railway station and was told, yes the bag was found already by the conductor and i can get it back, with everything inside, when the train returns. i was rather relieved believe me, not so much about the money. but my passport, the visa and TRP inside.

and a few weeks later i got a cut out out from a newspaper, on the same train the conductor found a bag with lots of money inside, not mine this time (un) fortunately, and also THIS was returned. this time it made the news because it was lots of money.

unfortunately good news make seldom news because it does not sell papers or bring ratings. it is the bad news that sell and these are printed. but the main thing it is the PEOPLE who make it, after all a train conductor is not rich either and with the money found she could have probably retired.
unfortunately these things are not being reported in our beloved English language newspaper. but -only- in the Russian press which very few of the foreign community can or do read. and yes, these news make it mainly into the -yellow- press or -knock and drop- newspapers.