PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - brain-eating amoeba

robertmf
21-12-2011, 19:49
Washing noses with neti pots or squeeze bottles has become increasingly popular as a home remedy for colds, allergies and sinus trouble. But it's not such a great remedy if it kills you.

Now that two people have died from infection with brain-eating amoebas after using neti pots, doctors are warning: do not put tap water up your nose.

Proper Neti pot usage (http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/19/143960631/second-neti-pot-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning)

:drink::drink:

Benedikt
22-12-2011, 08:24
the instructions state clearly if you -refill- the bottle *(which i think is wrong already in the first place) you should use only distilled or boiled water. Even such simple instructions are apparently to much. the results we can read then every day in the obituary columns or even worse, medication and manufacturers are being blamed quickly for bringing something deadly on to the market.
by the way,here in Russia we are using the most simple, cheap,very effective and safe remedy. if we have a blocked nose or sinus. (that does not mean i do recommend it to each and all. but we use it at home over ANY medication.AND IT IS OBVIOUS THAT IT DOES NOT REPLACE THE VISIT TO A DOCTOR IF THINGS ARE BAD).
Take a little bit of onion juice, from a grated onion, and sniff it up your blocked nose. you will breathe easy for the rest of the day.this is by the way one of the main ingredients of all these squeeze bottles. more or less deflavored onion juice, so you don't stink and distilled water.
or, before going to sleep, stick to cloves of garlic lightly up your nose. not recommended to kids. and grown ups should also do it only while not asleep. the garlic should be big enough so it can not slip up the nostril and -stuck up- only very light. should you fall asleep and turn around they will fall out and not do any damage. but the etheric oils of garlic will have time long enough to open up you nasal passages and let you breath easily and sleep better.

jonotomoscow
23-12-2011, 13:46
Take a little bit of onion juice, from a grated onion, and sniff it up your blocked nose.

Painful!

FatAndy
23-12-2011, 13:57
Painful!

Agree. Brandy is better. Drink and blow out via nose. Works hard, butworks.

bydand
23-12-2011, 15:09
How about boiling a bit of onion or garlic in your water? I use sea salt, or kosher salt, but am open to suggestions.

FatAndy
23-12-2011, 16:17
Sea salt works not bad. Infusion of thyme and|or chamomilla also may help, especially for children - they're soft herbs.
Sniffing garlic or just keeping fresh halves/slices of it in your rooms/kitchen also helps. I remember times when I worked for a small (that time, now it is big) company, and in the lunch room there were saucers on all tables with such garlic cuts - no one was ill with cold in those seasons...

Benedikt
24-12-2011, 00:29
Painful!
you are right, for about 5 seconds one thinks the brain is going to blow up, but then the rest of the day it is easy breaths .:)

robertmf
24-12-2011, 01:15
... I remember times when I worked for a small (that time, now it is big) company, and in the lunch room there were saucers on all tables with such garlic cuts - no one was ill with cold in those seasons...

Yes but The :yuk: smell of you all ................................

No one was ill and no :vampire: vampires or :yikes: kissing, either either.

FatAndy
26-12-2011, 10:44
Robert... where is your attention... not eatin'... just sniffin'
;)