PDA

View Full Version : Hello Moscow!

m&m
18-09-2007, 16:44
Hi,
With my husband and our 7 months old baby we are currently living in Bangkok, but got the opportunity to move to Moscow. I am trying to get enough information to help us to make the right choice....
Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Cheers,
Marie:confused:

AndreyS
18-09-2007, 16:51
Why not, Maria?
There is a friendly and cheerful community of expats here. Even Russians are tolerable :-).

AndreyS
18-09-2007, 16:53
All your particular questions are welcome!!!

bagel
18-09-2007, 17:08
what specific questions do you have? we moved to moscow from bangkok/hong kong.

for starters: in moscow, you can rule out cheap manicures, pedicures, massages, access to beaches, cheap flowers, 24*7 taxi service and great cuisine. moscow life is expensive and high prices doesn't assure you quality of products and services. one similarity is that traffic here is as bad as it is in bangkok.

happy to answer your specific inquiries.

Andy B
18-09-2007, 18:00
I'm regularly back and fore from Kuala Lumpur and you will notice a BIG change while you are here! Don't get me wrong, Moscow is a great place with lots of opportunity and lots going on, but it is a much more challenging place to live than Asia!

I guess, apart from the friendly people and good service you will be used to in Thailand, the biggest difference will be the prices (as already mentioned). Those luxuries you took for granted (including tailored suits etc.) will be a thing of the past unless you spend a lot! And unfortunately, as already mentioned, just coz it cost a lot, doesn't necessarily mean it is good!

We have two young kids (2 under 2) and while my wife has been here over the summer, I have had to bring baby formula, nappies, gripe water etc from KL as it is much more expensive here. It's not so bad if you get out to Auchan and the big out-of-town hyper-markets, but local supermarkets are not cheap.

Make sure you have a good medical insurance as well, as the medical centres are not cheap either (unless you speak Russian and use local facilities).

Don't mean to paint a bleak picture. As I said, Moscow is an amazing city, but be prepared for a big change!

Good luck,

Andy

m&m
19-09-2007, 20:09
what specific questions do you have? we moved to moscow from bangkok/hong kong.

for starters: in moscow, you can rule out cheap manicures, pedicures, massages, access to beaches, cheap flowers, 24*7 taxi service and great cuisine. moscow life is expensive and high prices doesn't assure you quality of products and services. one similarity is that traffic here is as bad as it is in bangkok.

happy to answer your specific inquiries.
Hi Bagel,
First thanks for your time and reply. It is great that you moved from BKK as well, you know already what are the standards of living here....and it is one reason why we hesitate to move to Moscow...dont really want to miss the good life (good food, good services, friendly people, cheap everything...)!

But Moscow sounds like a challenge, and we do like that! and I am sure there are plenty of other advantages as long as you have enough money to enjoy them (rich cultural life, beautiful country - would love to visit St Petersburg,close to Europe etc...).

I would appreciate to get informations about:
- furnitures: if I go to Ikea, how much would be a double (king size) bed, mattress, table and chairs, sofa? this if we rent an unfurnished apartment.
what would you recommend actually?

- Hairdresser: average price for men and women (haircut) at a local place

- Mobile phone contract

- High speed internet: connection and monthly bill (we pay 74$ in BKK)

- Cable TV

I have got info with regards to transportation, but I just would like to know if taking the subway with a stroller+baby is gonna be a nightmare...is it baby friendly?

- Housekeeper / nanny: if you employ someone, could you kindly let me know how much you are paying her? would you recommend to employ a filipino or a russian nanny?

I am done with my questions today,

Thanks a lot for your time and help,

Marie

m&m
19-09-2007, 20:17
I'm regularly back and fore from Kuala Lumpur and you will notice a BIG change while you are here! Don't get me wrong, Moscow is a great place with lots of opportunity and lots going on, but it is a much more challenging place to live than Asia!

I guess, apart from the friendly people and good service you will be used to in Thailand, the biggest difference will be the prices (as already mentioned). Those luxuries you took for granted (including tailored suits etc.) will be a thing of the past unless you spend a lot! And unfortunately, as already mentioned, just coz it cost a lot, doesn't necessarily mean it is good!

We have two young kids (2 under 2) and while my wife has been here over the summer, I have had to bring baby formula, nappies, gripe water etc from KL as it is much more expensive here. It's not so bad if you get out to Auchan and the big out-of-town hyper-markets, but local supermarkets are not cheap.

Make sure you have a good medical insurance as well, as the medical centres are not cheap either (unless you speak Russian and use local facilities).

Don't mean to paint a bleak picture. As I said, Moscow is an amazing city, but be prepared for a big change!

Good luck,

Andy
Thanks Andy for your post!
We are ready for some changes since we are considering the offer, but as you wrote, big changes will occure and it is not loosing time than having a precise look at what would be the expenses....we might be very surprised at the end of the month :(

If the price difference is significative between Auchan and the supermarkets in the center, we might want to do the big shopping once in a while for nappies, milk etc....but I know by experience that it can become a big headache (traffic), especially if you dont have your own car.....

Medical insurance is an important point, thanks to notify it...

Dont worry about painting a bleak picture of Moscow, it sounds pretty exciting (cultural life etc...) and we would not mind getting a bit closer to Europe....

Thanks a lot,
Marie

bagel
16-10-2007, 13:32
Bagel response: Real estate is much more expensive than in BKK. Can't answer about IKEA prices as we don't go to IKEA. But all international retail brands are available here, but due to import duty (similar to Thailand) the same product will cost you more than in the US, say. So, a MAC lipstick, Clinique moisturizer or a Marks and Spencer product is much higher here than abroad.

- Hairdresser: average price for men and women (haircut) at a local place
Bagel response: I go to a russian salon and pay 1300 rouble (or about USD 42) for a hair cut. I used to pay about that much in Bangkok and Hong Kong, but my hairdressers were French.

- Mobile phone contract
Bagel response: Getting local access is fine and 1000 rouble on prepaid lasts me 3 months. But I don't have international access and you would want to be prudent anyway, b/c international calling charges are as high and uncompetitive as in Thailand.

- High speed internet: connection and monthly bill (we pay 74$ in BKK)
Bagel response: We pay approx. USD 30 per month for unlimited access

- Cable TV
Bagel response: This is not astronomical either, but you don't get HBO, Cinemax, Star World and other English Language channels. The only English channels are limited.

I have got info with regards to transportation, but I just would like to know if taking the subway with a stroller+baby is gonna be a nightmare...is it baby friendly?
Bagel response: Not any more baby friendly as in BKK. But accounting for the weather in Moscow, six months of the year it is freezing, with ice, snow, sleet, dirty water in potholes. I do get irritated just walking on the streets of Moscow. Very badly managed and maintained.

- Housekeeper / nanny: if you employ someone, could you kindly let me know how much you are paying her? would you recommend to employ a filipino or a russian nanny?
Bagel response: Our old housekeeper comes once a week and we pay her 4000 roubles/month.

I am done with my questions today,

Thanks a lot for your time and help,

Marie[/QUOTE]

Aussie Mark
16-10-2007, 15:41
Can't answer about IKEA prices as we don't go to IKEA.

There is an IKEA in the MEGA MALL - IKEA (http://www.megamall.ru/mega2/en/shops/hyperstores/ikea/)

Gentle Shark
19-10-2007, 23:41
I read this thread and a bitter tear rolled down my cheek...
How on earth have I managed to survive and even bring up a son in this land without "cheap everything"? :(

Moscow is a baby friendly city. But I wouldn't advise you to take the metro with a stroller+baby, especially
at rush hours. This was one of the reasons which compelled me to buy my first car eight years ago.

I find it very exhausting to go to Achan by bus. On the other hand the last time I made an attempt to get there
by car I had to give up the idea because of endless traffic jams! At that moment I realised yet again that yes, I'm
able to earn money but I've got only one health (the cells of human neural networks don't reproduce themselves)!
This happened about half a year ago and I haven't dared to visit that hypermarket ever since. :D

I do hope I haven't frightened you...
Moscow has a very rich cultural life indeed and there are plenty of interesting places to see here, no doubt about it! :)

Tania.

Clean32
19-10-2007, 23:48
Please please could you bring me a bottel of squid sauce/oil plese plese i trade a bottle if JDs for it

Korotky Gennady
20-10-2007, 00:08
the cells of human neural networks don't reproduce themselves)!

:devil: : " reproduce... I can help you to reproduce them. "

Gentle Shark
20-10-2007, 00:28
:devil: : " reproduce... I can help you to reproduce them. "

Thank you a lot for your kindly offer to help :)
But I prefer just to keep them