PDA

View Full Version : neonatal care, giving birth in Russia?

bagel
18-09-2007, 15:12
Does any expat new mom on the forum have experience with the delivery system for expectant mothers in Moscow? From what I hear, expectant mothers who go for neonatal checkup at EMC say that since the EMC doesn't have the infrastructure eventually the expats are sent to a Russian delivery center. How is the quality of the experience?

Many thanks!

Mags2
18-09-2007, 22:35
Hi - I had my baby at the Perinatal Centre here in Moscow earlier this year. My experience was mixed, but this was mainly due to health problems, not complaints about the standard of care here. In fact, the neonatal unit at the Perinatal is fantastic. If your baby needs special care, as ours did, then I have no qualms in recommending the wonderful staff there.

I don't know how much research you've already done, but the two main things I'd say straight off are - if you go private it's VERY expensive (by UK standards anyway), so insurance is really a necessity; and secondly, it could be tough-going without Russian. I don't know if you speak Russian, but if not or if you don't have and friends or family for support then I really would seriously consider having the baby back home.

The information you were given about the EMC is quite correct. It is not licensed (nor are any other foreign clinics) for the actual delivery of your baby. So, if you decide to use the EMC for your antenatal care (I did as it is very local for me), then you can either stay with them until leaving the country to deliver abroad, or change into the Russian system at 36 weeks (or earlier if you'd prefer, you can sign a contract with the Russian hospital at any stage).

There's really too much info for me to put here. Please feel free to pm me with any questions. There used to be lots of threads on this topic on the old expat.ru site with links etc.. I haven't tried the search function on this new one yet so don't know if it stores information from before the change - if it does you should be able to find some useful tips.

Nur9
19-09-2007, 16:58
Hi. I am also considering the PeriNatal Hospital for giving birth here, and am trying to weigh the pros and cons of staying versus going back to the US. My main concerns are related to the standard of care and the qualifications of the doctors. Are they all Russians, and how rigorous is their medical training. Also, I am wondering how much of an issue the language will be. My Russian is mediocre. I can understand basic things, spoken slowly, and can communicate in basic Russian, but that is all. I would love to hear your perspective on your experience with these issues in particular.

bagel
19-09-2007, 19:05
Hi there!

Yes, I am concerned about quality of delivery and care provided to mothers and about the Russian language issue. Given that this is part of the Russian delivery system, I guess all care providers (nurses, doctors) will speak only Russian.

The option is to exit but that means exiting at the 7th month and staying with baby for another 3 months in country of delivery. Babies cannot travel without immunizations etc and minimum stay after birth I believe is 3 months in country of delivery. That adds upto 5 months of being away from husband.

Would appreciate if others can share their experience.

bagel
20-09-2007, 09:24
Mags, thank you for sharing the info. I am just starting to gather info slowly. Is there a website for the perinatal clinic? I guess this is a Russian public facility?

How expensive are the private clinics? And are they operated by Russian doctors and nurses who communicate in English? Yes, I have insurance.

Brave of you to give birth here, if I may say so!

xyz
20-09-2007, 09:44
My baby is born here 3 years b4. That time I was not knowing that much Russian. But the Doctor who performed c-section could speak some English which was quite helpful.
To my experience, if u r planning ur delivery here fix the hospital and from the beginning consult the same dr who understands ur system and problem personally. We had in the centre planirovya and cemiya.
As expected Nurses and Doctors can speak only Russian.

Nur9
20-09-2007, 12:30
The website for the Perinatal Medical Center is Перинатальный центр - ведение беременности, роды, гинекология (http://www.perinatalmedcenter.ru). You can also call and ask them to arrange for a tour.

Mags2
20-09-2007, 13:16
I've just written two incredibly long replies and lost both of them!

Firstly, congratulations to both of you! I'm happy to share the research I put into this, so please pm (go into my profile and press 'send private message')with your questions and I'll be glad to get back to you.

Here are some useful Russian sites:
Перинатальный центр - ведение беременности, роды, гинекология (http://www.perinatalmedcenter.ru/)
Рейтинг роддомов г. Москвы (http://www.rodi.ru/rating/index.html)
Журнал РОДЫ.ru - Журнал о беременности, родах и малыше (http://mama-journal.ru/)
Организация, сопровождение и ведение родов. Роддом в Москве. Грудное вскармливание (http://www.sadovoy-center.ru/mother/birth.php) (these people may have an English/ German speaker, they deal with homebirth, natural birth options etc. )

In brief, if you have insurance and do not speak Russian or have family here, I wouldn't bother looking into anywhere apart from the Perinatal Clinic (in answer to your question Bagel, it's private) or the Centre for Family Planning and Reproduction. When I was researching, the Perinatal had the best intensive care baby unit in the city. That was my main priority. I can email you the number of the Commercial Director, he will organise a tour and tell you about the various contract options.

Doctors - Russian speaking only as far as I know. The Perinatal has an interpreter I think. I was satisfied with their qualifications, you can ask when you visit the hospital.

Travel - check with your doctor. I know lots of people who travelled back to Moscow well before the baby reached 3 months.

Finally - I should say that I speak Russian and have been here a long time. I have to be honest and say that, even so, I wouldn't have had my baby here if I hadn't had an older child in school whom I couldn't leave. That doesn't mean I think the care is inferior (it's not, my baby's life was literally saved by doctors in the Perinatal, I can't be sure the same would have happened back home) - but with no language or wider family support it could be a very lonely experience. On the up side, I know women who've had babies here with very basic Russian and been very satisfied. A lot depends on how supportive and 'hands on' your spouse is! Also, if you can have a female relative or friend fly out it will make for a much happier and less stressful time for you.

There's lots more to say, can't go into everything here. Happy to continue by email:)

MissSixty
20-09-2007, 19:14
In Dec 2005, I gave birth to my son at the Center for Family Planning and Reproduction here in Moscow. I am an American with limited Russian -- basic conversation and understanding only. My doctor Dr. Raesa Vladimirova was great! She was younger, helpful, understanding and spoke English well. I was told in 2005 there were 4 doctors available who spoke English. My son was delivered by emergency C-section 5-6 weeks early. Honestly, the experience was not bad, but difficult at times, as the rest of the staff spoke no English. I definitely have my share of stories... My situation was stressful but everyone was as helpful as possible given the circumstances.

Now, I am pregnant again and due at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. I plan to have the baby here in Moscow again at Perinatal with Dr. Vladimirova. I am currently going to EMC until the beginning of Oct and then will switch to Perinatal for my remaining prenatal care through delivery. I have an appt there on Oct 1st and will post all the new information regarding contracts, pricing, etc.

Deciding to stay in Moscow for the birth of your baby is a personal choice. For me, it was more important to be near my husband than fly back to the USA. I was not willing to spend at least 2 - 3 months away from my husband and he was not in a position to come back to the USA with me during this time. Yes, at times it is difficult, especially since you don't have other close family members near you during the birth. My parents flew to Moscow and stayed for a month during the birth of our first child and will do the same with el segundo. The medical care here in Moscow at both the hospitals I mentioned is very good. I always felt cared for and at times "too cared for".... By this I mean, I think they perform too many tests to makes sure a person is ok. But, I would rather have too many tests done than not enough especially concerning my newborn child.

I am American, so the cost (even the VIP cost) of having a child in Moscow is not expensive. (I also have insurance which reimburses most of my expenses) For others, I believe there are many acceptable options for people to deliver in Moscow. In Dec 2005, I paid $2500 USD total and I was in the hospital for 15 days, had a C-section, my son was in the hospital 10 days (he was 5 -6 weeks premature). I am not sure of the cost at Perinatal, but will post the information I receive after Oct 1st. It's my understanding that it is more expensive, but still nothing close to the cost in the USA.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to answer them either though PM, email or telephone.

Mags2
20-09-2007, 23:48
Yes, as Miss Sixty says I suppose the cost isn't high compared to the US. It's just a bit shocking for anyone coming from a state healthcare background like me!

In April 07 we paid 6800 UE (at a rate of 33 rubles) for the delivery at the Perinatal, and around 700 for the antenatal care from 36 weeks until delivery. That was the 'Lux' contract (there are three types of contract in all). The VIP was around 12000, but the medical care is no different for that (you do however get a plasma tv:thumbsup:). There is a 'standard' contract too which is the cheapest option. However, there are some hidden extras in that one which bring it up moreorless to the price of the Lux. We paid several thousand more for 3 weeks of intensive care for our son, but that was covered by our insurance too luckily.

The prices have definitely gone up since then, so Miss Sixty will be able to give uptodate info soon (congratulations to you too by the way:), and many thanks for the info you gave me when I was expecting earlier this year!)

Something to bear in mind in case it's not mentioned and you have difficulty communicating with the nurses - the CFPR offer a really good service whereby a lactation consultant will come out to your home if you have any feeding problems. You can contact them through the Perinatal too. One of the great things about Russian maternity hospitals is that the mother gets a lot better treatment after the birth than in the UK. You get regular check-ups every day of your stay, ultrasound and if you choose to breastfeed there's a lot of assistance available if you ask for it. Got to be better than being sent home after 12 hours!

winterland
21-09-2007, 10:38
I cannot agree more with the above two moms who delived baby here. And guess there is good reason why we all happened to deliver our baby in the same hospital. My insurance company lobbied me really hard trying to sending me to Austria ( mainly due to afterbirth care for baby), but I chose to stay in Moscow for the same reason as MissSixty's. Being a first-time mom just arrived, not speaking Russian and having complications, I was very very nervous. Now looking back, I just want to thank all involved at the time from the Docs, nurses to the International SOS staff. If only I could speak some basic Russian, my experience would have been even better. Their lead doctor is the best in Moscow and often appears in the media. Usually a lead doctor sets up the best team to work with him (team effort, each step can't go wrong even in the simple C section). And his team including himself (in my case) all speak good English and very very professional and competent. Nurse and other lower level staff don't speak English but they are very nice people. If I ever deliver second baby here, I will make sure to be able to say in Russian "please help me get up", "water please" and any other phrase I may need. Their food is absolutely gourmet! Regarding the cost, I didn't study the finaly bill, but my impression was it was somewhat low given the conditions provided and the lengthy time I stayed there. Maybe at the time it was new and run some promotion, I don't know ( I delivered a bit after MissSixty). It may have gone up now.

bagel
21-09-2007, 16:40
Thank you ladies for this optimistic information. Glad to know there are reasonable options here in terms of quality of care and English speaking staff.

Is Dr. Vladimirova from Perinatal or CFPR?

After all the research put into this process by pioneers like you, I wonder if there is a way to consolidate this information as women weighing their options will be needing it. Instead of re-inventing the wheel everytime, I wonder if it is possible to gather it somewhere.

The website addresses provided all look screwed up on my screen. Is there sthg I am doing wrong?

Nur9: Thank you for the website address in my pm.

Best!

MissSixty
21-09-2007, 17:19
I believe Dr Vladimirova works at both hospitals. They are right next door to each other.... Perinatal is just newer and more 'luxe' : ), I suppose. Dr Raesa Vladimirova was married recently so she has another last name...I will try to find out what it is and post it too. Again, I am fairly certainly that there are at least 4 doctors who can speak English well enough to communicate with you and make you feel comfortable.

I completely agree we should probably consolidate some of this information and post it as a sticky or something.

Mags2 - Thanks for posting some of the price from April 2007. I will post the new ones after my appt Oct 1st. Hopefully, they have not gone up too much! Is the difference between VIP really just a flat screen TV??? Its almost double the price! They better have satelite, HBO and Showtime 24/7!!!

Good luck everyone! I'll keep you posted on my trip to Perinatal at the beginning of Oct. Hopefully, Segundo (his nickname right now....haven't decided on a name yet) won't come early!

Mags2
21-09-2007, 21:51
"Is the difference between VIP really just a flat screen TV??? Its almost double the price! They better have satelite, HBO and Showtime 24/7!!!"

I was exaggerating slightly, but yeah, that is moreorless it. It seems to me that the main thing about the VIP contract is that you get to call yourself a VIP and be offhand with the staff (that's what was happening on my floor anyway)! There were some perks, you get an extra room (two rooms and two bathrooms with lux, I think you get three rooms with VIP) plus you can have a nanny in 24hrs if you want. There are no differences in the medical care whatsoever, all the difference in price is taken by the accommodation, fluffiness of the towels etc. After a UK hospital I thought it was heaven having my own bathroom, I really didn't need a three-room apartment! As you'll see there are a few actressy types, I guess VIP is targeted at that market.
I spent 7 days in lux - you get fluffy pink dressing gowns - it's on the same floor as the VIPs, so same staff, same treatment. I then moved down to the intensive care floor so I could be nearer my son, this meant that I switched to a 'standard' room. They took my pink dressing gown off me and replaced it with a blue one, slightly less fluffy......:rolleyes:

Nur9
25-09-2007, 15:55
I have two more questions related to this general topic that I'm hoping you can answer.

1) How difficult is it to obtain a birth certificate and passport for the baby if it is born here? I have heard that getting the birth certificate involves jumping through some hoops. Can anyone elaborate?

2) Any recommendations on where to buy maternity clothes here?

Mags2
25-09-2007, 16:38
Got your pm Nur9, will answer as soon as I get a chance:)
Meanwhile, thought it would be useful to post on your other questions here.

1.) Russian birth certificate is easy enough to get nowadays, just make sure you have made your Russian translations in plenty of time.
If you have your baby in the Perinatal the admin staff will give you the certificate you need to take to the ZAGS nearest to the hospital. Besides the proof of the birth from the hospital, you need yours and your partner's birth certificates (official Russian translations), copy of your passports (official Russian translation), apostilled copy of your marriage certificate (if you have one - you might get away without this, best to enquire).
I haven't got the exact address of the ZAGS at hand, but will post it if I find it. It's really near to the Perinatal and the CFPR. You don't need to register the birth in the ZAGS where you actually live or are registered, you can do it by the hospital, plus they are used to dealing with the foreign documentation there. You also don't need to take your baby along, in fact my husband did it without either me or our new arrival. This is information as of April 2007, always best to double-check in case something has changed. They will give the address and number of the right ZAGS at the Perinatal if you enquire. If you pick an unusual name for your child, so make sure that the spelling in both languages suits you! We actually took a letter from our Embassy confirming our spelling as it was an odd name and I didn't want a lifetime of having it spelt wrong on visas, passports etc.

2. Maternity clothes - big selection at Mothercare on Novyi Arbat. A few bits and bobs downstairs in Benetton on Tverskaya. A selection in Top Shop in the Evropeisky Mall (they were the only ones last year stocking a winter maternity coat, cheapish too:thumbsup:). Also, there's a chain calles Sweet Mama Москва. Магазины для беременных | Магазины | О компании | Мода SWEETMAMA.ru (http://www.maternity.ru/about/shops/moscow). There are more....baby has woken up must go!

Mags2
25-09-2007, 16:42
Re passport - you will need to contact your Embassy. We got a British one easily with just our own passports and our son's Russian birth certificate. An official translation into English was not required. May be different at your Embassy though, as for the Irish passport, for example, we did have to have a translation of the brith certificate (I am guessing the passport is sent from Ireland, whereas the British one is produced here in Moscow).

Mags2
25-09-2007, 19:11
Another shop with maternity clothes/underwear is Kengaru, there are quite a few around the city - КЕНГУРУ » Адреса салонов, магазины для беременных и детей (http://www.keng.ru/new/articles.php/tPath/10)

There's also a designer maternity store near to Stockmanns at Smolenskaya, never went in as looked incredibly expensive, gorgeous stuff in the window though!

MissSixty
25-09-2007, 20:48
Thanks for the information!

MissSixty
25-09-2007, 21:12
Got your pm Nur9, will answer as soon as I get a chance:)
Meanwhile, thought it would be useful to post on your other questions here.

1.) Russian birth certificate is easy enough to get nowadays, just make sure you have made your Russian translations in plenty of time.
If you have your baby in the Perinatal the admin staff will give you the certificate you need to take to the ZAGS nearest to the hospital. Besides the proof of the birth from the hospital, you need yours and your partner's birth certificates (official Russian translations), copy of your passports (official Russian translation), apostilled copy of your marriage certificate (if you have one - you might get away without this, best to enquire).
I haven't got the exact address of the ZAGS at hand, but will post it if I find it. It's really near to the Perinatal and the CFPR. You don't need to register the birth in the ZAGS where you actually live or are registered, you can do it by the hospital, plus they are used to dealing with the foreign documentation there. You also don't need to take your baby along, in fact my husband did it without either me or our new arrival. This is information as of April 2007, always best to double-check in case something has changed. They will give the address and number of the right ZAGS at the Perinatal if you enquire. If you pick an unusual name for your child, so make sure that the spelling in both languages suits you! We actually took a letter from our Embassy confirming our spelling as it was an odd name and I didn't want a lifetime of having it spelt wrong on visas, passports etc.

2. Maternity clothes - big selection at Mothercare on Novyi Arbat. A few bits and bobs downstairs in Benetton on Tverskaya. A selection in Top Shop in the Evropeisky Mall (they were the only ones last year stocking a winter maternity coat, cheapish too:thumbsup:). Also, there's a chain calles Sweet Mama Москва. Магазины для беременных | Магазины | О компании | Мода SWEETMAMA.ru (http://www.maternity.ru/about/shops/moscow). There are more....baby has woken up must go!
Did you really need both partner's birth certificates (official Russian translations) too? I don't remember this from 2005...

Isn't it redundant with your passport?

mproy
25-09-2007, 23:32
Hello
I also gave birth at the perinatal centre in april 07 (Mags2, when did you give birth?!) but on the standard contract and paid EUR 3,000 without any extra. I stayed there 3 days (instead of 4) as everything was fine.
For my first child I went back to France and came back as soon as I got the visa (he was 5 weeks).
I much prefered the second "experience".
Good luck to all expectant mothers!

Mags2
26-09-2007, 01:02
[QUOTE=mproy;290791]Hello
I also gave birth at the perinatal centre in april 07 (Mags2, when did you give birth?!) but on the standard contract and paid EUR 3,000 without any extra. I stayed there 3 days (instead of 4) as everything was fine.

Hi - I was in there 23rd April - May 11th. How about you? Am guessing you signed your contract before us, I remember the price going up in between our initial tour and the actual signing. Also depends on which doctor you use. With the standard contract you may an extra percentage if you have certain obstetricians.

MissSixty - will check with my husband about the birth certificates. We certainly had them translated and he took them along to ZAGS. Will ask him if they really required them.

vladislav
26-09-2007, 01:13
Dear All!
I would like to let you know that Perinatal Medical Center and Center of planning family and reproduction are DIFFERENT hospitals.
But they are located in the same territiry.
PMC is the newest and 9 months ago I gave birth to my child there.
I am Russian and my doctor was mrs. Ryzhkova - I don't know if she speaks English but even if she does I will never recommend her to anyone.
She stimulated me when I was on the 38 week of pregnancy and because of that could have lost my child. Thanks God - he was born and feels ok, but they had to make the surgery to me because of stimulation. I don't know why she did that though I griping pains...
And it is really expensive - we paid about 4k euro (1 euro - 33rub) for cesarean + pregnancy checkup 2500 euro

mproy
26-09-2007, 08:46
Mags2,
I was there 19th-22nd April. I signed the contract in March. My doctor was one of the two recommanded by European Medical Center.

Mags2
26-09-2007, 10:45
Mags2,
I was there 19th-22nd April. I signed the contract in March. My doctor was one of the two recommanded by European Medical Center.

Must have had different doctors, ours would have added 10% on to the basic standard price. Or maybe you just got lucky! Couldn't in all conscience recommend mine. Although she was kind, she allowed me to go way over, which had rather serious consequences for our baby. Looking back I should have been more forthright and insisted on induction, easy to say with hindsight though.

However, I would still recommend the Perinatal despite my less than perfect experience. Birth, unfortunately, is always going to be a bit of a lottery, things can go wrong wherever you are. BUT I would say that you really need to keep on top of things yourself at the Perinatal and don't assume the expense of it means that everyone is competent. If something isn't right, tell them. Particurlarly with the nursing staff - you really need to keep your eye out, especially when your baby is in the 'nursery' when you're asleep.

My recommendatioon would be to get your partner to hang around while you're resting/asleep after the birth and make sure that the baby really is being watched as they say it is. Unfortunately our son wasn't (well maybe he was, but the young nurse had no clue) and ended up in intensive care. The only good thing to come out of it (apart from his recovery thank goodness, and the wonderful care of the Special Care staff), is that it really shook them up. I had the heads of everything under the sun visiting me every day, they were obviously terrified that they would be blamed and everyone was trying to keep us sweet. At the time we were more interested in our baby recovering than complaining about the hospital and now I am pretty sure that our incident will have made the likelihood of the same happening to someone else much lower. Do have to say though, a situation like the one we found ourselves in would have been doubly horrendous without good Russian.

I really don't want to scare anyone and would just like to say that the paediatric doctors were marvellous - they and their equipment were definitely as good as anything you'd get in the west.

Nur9
26-09-2007, 11:49
Thanks for the recommendations on the Maternity Clothes! I am so excited to find out there is a Mothercare here in Moscow. I will be planning an excursion there this week. I have hit the point where all my pants are too tight, and all my maternity clothes from the first time around are warm-weather clothes!

Mags2
26-09-2007, 12:06
There are several! Here are the addresses: Mothercare / Магазины / Москва (http://www.mothercare.ru/?id=219)
I think Novyi Arbat has the best selection, but Evropeisky Mall branch handy as you can call into Early Learning and Top Shop at the same time!
They drive me mad charging so much more than in the UK for the same item, but when needs must....;)

letpeacebe
26-09-2007, 15:26
I delivered my daughter in June 2 yrs back and I must say i was very satisfied with the Russian doctor and hospital.
The only thing that i would like to share is the delivery time. I feel it is a good idea to have someone whom you can communicate to at that time in case your russian skills are not very good. In pain, we all revert back to our mother tongue no matter how fluent we are :)

mproy
26-09-2007, 20:22
Hello
I also saw some maternity clothes at Zara, at the Evropeisky Mall.

Paul Bp
04-10-2007, 18:54
HI, I was not giving birth here, but I have done all the prenatal care in Moscow at the prenatal center as well and I have very good experience. Its true, that almost everybody speaks only Russian, but I have found a doctor there who speaks English She is very nice, kind professional young lady, who took care of me very well. I can give you her phone if you still need it. But the nurses are speaking only Russina, that is true.
Dora

bagel
19-04-2008, 10:11
Dear all,

I am leaning towards giving birth in Moscow at one of the 2 centers recommended here. Do you recommend that I have the pre-natal check ups done by an OBGYN from these centers or go through american/european medical center until it is time?

How can I contact Dr. Raesa Vladimorova? She sounds like a god-send.

Many thanks,

sab
16-05-2008, 16:17
I am also pregnant and planning to give birth at the perinatal medical center. I had my first cosultation with Dr. Pashkova. She seems ok. So do the rest of the staff, especially the doctor performing the ultrasound.

I have not signed a contract yet though. I asked for copies of the 3 different types of contracts but they are all vague about whether actual delivery and postnatal care are included. Could those of you who have given birth there before help clarify?

In any case, the contract costs are as follows: (for those signing a contract on their 2nd trimester)
Standard-111,000-131,000rub
Luxe-220,000rub
VIP-370,000rub

Thanks!

katia mcewen
17-05-2008, 11:05
You can also being followed by Dr Rebouillat at the Alliance Francaise 694 12 12 (open Monday to Saturday Metro Stevnoy Bvd). He is a french gynecologist and obstetrician. He speaks fluent English, Russian, Italian and French, of course. He does himself the scans. If you have decided to deliver here, he will recommend you in the last month to the russian obstetrician who will deliver you.

Good luck,

Katia

Picante
17-05-2008, 21:19
Quote:" I have not signed a contract yet though. I asked for copies of the 3 different types of contracts but they are all vague about whether actual delivery and postnatal care are included. Could those of you who have given birth there before help clarify?"

Hi Sab, I am going to delivery in the PMC too, and to clarify your question, there are two types of contract: prenatal (meaning before birth) and the birth itself. For example, I signed a prenatal standard contract, this one include all the consultations and tests but not the actual delivery. Around week 34-36, I will sign another one for the delivery (and prices vary from natural birth to C-section). Each type of contract has 3 different levels as you mentioned, standard, lux and vip, and prices also vary according to what doctor you choose, except for the vip which literally include anything and anyone.

Hope this will help you if you have more questions just PM.

wmariaw
19-06-2008, 09:40
Could you please tell me about the differences in the prenatal contracts? What is included in the standard, Lux, and VIP? Thank you very much!

Quote:" I have not signed a contract yet though. I asked for copies of the 3 different types of contracts but they are all vague about whether actual delivery and postnatal care are included. Could those of you who have given birth there before help clarify?"

Hi Sab, I am going to delivery in the PMC too, and to clarify your question, there are two types of contract: prenatal (meaning before birth) and the birth itself. For example, I signed a prenatal standard contract, this one include all the consultations and tests but not the actual delivery. Around week 34-36, I will sign another one for the delivery (and prices vary from natural birth to C-section). Each type of contract has 3 different levels as you mentioned, standard, lux and vip, and prices also vary according to what doctor you choose, except for the vip which literally include anything and anyone.

Hope this will help you if you have more questions just PM.

Picante
19-06-2008, 15:19
Could you please tell me about the differences in the prenatal contracts? What is included in the standard, Lux, and VIP? Thank you very much!

Roughly, The Standard includes, limited number of check ups, analysis, consultations by specialist, etc. (this is the one I have) and it does not included for example, any studies outside of the normal ones (in the case, there is any complications during your pregnancy and need more tests). The Lux and VIP are almost the same (unlimited of everything, 3D scans (ultrasounds), and with the "best" doctors, etc) there are very few differences, for example, the VIP have some (i do not remember well) extra luxurious things like not waiting at all, pregnant women club, etc.

It is best to go and see the different options, they have a designated desk and a lady who can answer all your questions and give you the prices (these vary according of program and what doctor you want, etc).

EandE
21-06-2008, 21:33
Hello,

Our child was born last week in the Perinatal Center (no problem that we arrived without contract as a result of the fact that our child was born one month early, good doctors for the actual delivery, good care for the baby etc. However, not many people who speak English and that unfortunately that influences the communication and service somewhat). We have received a certificate of the Perinatal Center and right now we have to go to ZAGS close to the Perinatal Center to obtain the birth certificate. Not everything with respect to obtaining the birth certificate and the passport for the child are clear to us. Does somebody have information about:

1) Is it sufficient to take the certificate of the Perinatal and the official translations of both our passports?
2) We are not married, something that is quite common in our home country the Netherlands. Does this have consequences?
3) According to our embassy we will be able to get a Dutch passport for our child by means of an official translation of the birt certificate of ZAGS. Does this sound familiar?
4) What does a birth certificate of ZAGS mean? EG. do children that are born in Russia also get the Russian nationality?
5) Does somebody speak English at ZAGS and are people helpful at ZAGS?
6) We assume that by providing ZAGS with the official Dutch name of oour child that they will translate that correctly into Russian (in the same way our own names were translated by obtaining our visa, translations of our passports etc.). Is this assumption correct?

Thank you very much for your information!

Picante
21-06-2008, 22:11
Hello,

Our child was born last week in the Perinatal Center (no problem that we arrived without contract as a result of the fact that our child was born one month early, good doctors for the actual delivery, good care for the baby etc. However, not many people who speak English and that unfortunately that influences the communication and service somewhat). We have received a certificate of the Perinatal Center and right now we have to go to ZAGS close to the Perinatal Center to obtain the birth certificate. Not everything with respect to obtaining the birth certificate and the passport for the child are clear to us. Does somebody have information about:

1) Is it sufficient to take the certificate of the Perinatal and the official translations of both our passports?
2) We are not married, something that is quite common in our home country the Netherlands. Does this have consequences?
3) According to our embassy we will be able to get a Dutch passport for our child by means of an official translation of the birt certificate of ZAGS. Does this sound familiar?
4) What does a birth certificate of ZAGS mean? EG. do children that are born in Russia also get the Russian nationality?
5) Does somebody speak English at ZAGS and are people helpful at ZAGS?
6) We assume that by providing ZAGS with the official Dutch name of oour child that they will translate that correctly into Russian (in the same way our own names were translated by obtaining our visa, translations of our passports etc.). Is this assumption correct?

Thank you very much for your information!

Hello,

I am sorry I can not answer all your questions (I have not delivery yet), however I can tell you, children who are born in Russia to non Russian parents are not Russian, so the birth certificate means just the register of the birth of your child, but does not give him citizenship.
Also, I will be surprise if somebody speaks English at ZAGS but you should ask the hospital, they will tell you what to do or with who to go (maybe you are lucky and you get a bilingual officer due that more expatriates are delivering there).

Good luck and congratulations.

lemon
04-11-2008, 16:47
Hi, read this forum in addition to a lot of other info and went to the European Medical Center to take out my IUD and get advice on what to do/not to do while trying to get pregnant. Saw Alain CHURLET (France) and was VERY disappointed. He was polite, but just could not wait do get me out of his office. He did not mention anything about pre-natal vitamins, whether it is risky or not getting pregnant right after IUD, whether i should stop using differin (topical vitamin A) for my acne. he did not know how to spell it. finally he said that if i manage to get pregnant in the first post-IUD month he wishes me good luck. bizarre. I had a very nice obgyn in the US and the contrast was shocking… may be at EMC they feel that there have a “captive audience” of expats?

Kat09
16-04-2009, 13:38
Hi,

Im pregnant week 9, considering giving birth here in Moscow.

Looking for Muscovite moms-to-be. Anyone here?

/Kat

ps i speak russian

Tess24
06-05-2009, 14:58
I am 33 weeks pregnant with limited Russian language skills. My only support system here is my husband, who has a tendancy to faint at the sight of blood. Can someone please give me advice on where I should go to give birth, and what can I do to help me feel more in control and safe here. All the doctors I have gone to only speak Russian and treat me in a strict and cold manner. It is not an option for me to return to my country to give birth. Is there a maternity hospital here with friendly,caring staff that speak a little English?

HollyGM
08-05-2009, 15:20
Maternity clothes are expensive here. I liked going to the Europesky mall and shopping at mothercare and prenatal when the sales arrived. Some of the best deals in maternity clothes are at non-maternity stores that have big sizes. I like monsoon for dresses and betty barclay for T-shirts. H&M, Next and other less expensive stores are a good choice too because you are only going to wear the clothes a short time. The best deals are from friends who want to get rid of their old maternity clothes.

aichka
13-05-2009, 12:44
Hi,
can anyone recommend doctors (OB-GYN) to go to for prenatal care in Moscow. I have been going to the American Medical Center for some time now, but have trouble choosing a specialist there or elsewhere in the city.
Thanks

aichka
13-05-2009, 12:49
I am 33 weeks pregnant with limited Russian language skills. My only support system here is my husband, who has a tendancy to faint at the sight of blood. Can someone please give me advice on where I should go to give birth, and what can I do to help me feel more in control and safe here. All the doctors I have gone to only speak Russian and treat me in a strict and cold manner. It is not an option for me to return to my country to give birth. Is there a maternity hospital here with friendly,caring staff that speak a little English?
Hi Tess,
I've seen various doctors at the AMC (american medical center) and have been very pleased with them all. The attention and care are to any standards in my view and they all speak at least some English there. The problem is that they are not licensed to deliver, so you can only see them until week 36 and then be transferred to Perinatal Center or leave Russia to give birth. Another thing is that they are simply too many doctors to choose from--I myself (week 8) trying to figure out which one to stick with...

cjoanblanq
22-05-2009, 21:24
Hello all

We are a new expat couple in Moscow (myself french, my wife polish) and decided to have delivery in moscow where we live since a few months. We chose perinatal medical center on sevastopolski, as recommended by doctor from EMC. We chose the standard package (where you get single room with private bathroom, TV, fridge, ..) as we thought the lux or VIP are reserved for the new russians and their big black 4-wheel drives. No need to a triple room apartment for delivering a baby and staying 3-4 days !! and as written in other posts the medical service is the same.
There you have to sign a contract in advance covering for delivery only (we paid 180000 rubles for standard package) and you can ask for english speaking doctor (there are two in the center). Our doctor was mrs. Elena Karaganova, she was very nice, taking care and really helped my wife for delivery. Apart from the doctor the rest of the personnel did not speak english or did not show it ;-( You also have to pay for each day in the room (about 12000 rubles per day in the standard option, which is already quite luxury vs what you have in public hospitals in France...). Working and delivery room is very good (individual room with full medical equipment and very caring nurses, anesthesiolog, etc ..). The personnel there is very friendly, food is very good and we were very satisfied by the service. I was allowed to come any time in the morning and to stay up to quite late in the evening. In the standard package though the husband is not allowed to stay overnight as there is only one single bed per room.
Our little Victor was delivered last Friday (May 15) and is home since Tuesday. After for the care of baby they propose various options of contracts but we decided to go back to EMC as we can pay (and get reimbursed by my french insurance) for the visits programmed in the french social security system, which would not be the case if we'd bought a 6-month or 1-year contract. And the EMC you find more french or english speaking doctors.

Bels
23-05-2009, 00:18
Looks good if you can pay up!!!! What has happened to social services in Russia? Never has happened! What about those millions who can't pay such extortionate price. What on earth do you think they do. Give birth themselves in their own flat maybe. What on earth has happened to a decent National health service? ZERO? So much for the hatred of capitilism, because Russia has always been more capitilist than Britain, and is now more capitilist than America, as they are completely failing to provide an offordabele descent srvice for their own people. And what is really free for those who can,t aford their healthcare. Not even their pensioners and children have free health care here.

aichka
23-05-2009, 12:46
Actually, all this stuff is free for Russian citizens. You pay for extra services or services of private clinics; but all these services are attainable for the Russian citizens in the regular 'policlinics' free of charge, including all the required tests, delivery, drugs, regular doctor visits...

For expats it's different--we have to pay up

Looks good if you can pay up!!!! What has happened to social services in Russia? Never has happened! What about those millions who can't pay such extortionate price. What on earth do you think they do. Give birth themselves in their own flat maybe. What on earth has happened to a decent National health service? ZERO? So much for the hatred of capitilism, because Russia has always been more capitilist than Britain, and is now more capitilist than America, as they are completely failing to provide an offordabele descent srvice for their own people. And what is really free for those who can,t aford their healthcare. Not even their pensioners and children have free health care here.

New York
13-11-2009, 23:11
Hello, I have one quetion regarding preparation right before the delivery moment.

Is it true that nurse will putting a lot of water (1-2 litters) from the butt to clean inside of mother's berry before giving a birth? In my country, we use small amount of liquid medicin as a rectal injection, but if I have to take 1-2 litters rectal injection in Moscow, I am so scared to deliver a baby here in Moscow. I hope this is just a rumor or they do not use such method in Moscow any more.

I am planning to give a birth in Perinatal Medical Center, so if experienced person (who had delivery in Perinatal Medical Center) can answer to my question, I would be very appreciated!

sematana
14-11-2009, 18:55
I can reply to your second question.
Actually I'd recommend you go with the normal shops where there are better clothes or
there is prenatal, mothercare, H&M, zara etc... where you can buy maternity clothes.

unlvdating
19-11-2009, 14:02
I really love to read articles which are very informative and the topics are based or concerned with the current issues in our society. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers. Great job!

KLi
19-11-2009, 20:05
If you're having a casarean section in other maternity hosps, they definitely give you a 'klisma' as they call it, on the day of the op and on the day after. It's not as bad as it sounds, just make sure a toilet is VERY close! Don't know about in the place you mention, though most probably yes. Can't say about natural births.

As for ex-pats paying, all pregnant women where ever they're from are entitled to completely FREE pre-natal care - see my post on 'documents needed to give birth'. If you don't speak Russian, you'll need help sorting it out of course, but's that's the case in any country. All scans, blood tests, etc are all completely free.

sematana
13-01-2010, 23:34
I cannot agree more with the above two moms who delived baby here. And guess there is good reason why we all happened to deliver our baby in the same hospital. My insurance company lobbied me really hard trying to sending me to Austria ( mainly due to afterbirth care for baby), but I chose to stay in Moscow for the same reason as MissSixty's. Being a first-time mom just arrived, not speaking Russian and having complications, I was very very nervous. Now looking back, I just want to thank all involved at the time from the Docs, nurses to the International SOS staff. If only I could speak some basic Russian, my experience would have been even better. Their lead doctor is the best in Moscow and often appears in the media. Usually a lead doctor sets up the best team to work with him (team effort, each step can't go wrong even in the simple C section). And his team including himself (in my case) all speak good English and very very professional and competent. Nurse and other lower level staff don't speak English but they are very nice people. If I ever deliver second baby here, I will make sure to be able to say in Russian "please help me get up", "water please" and any other phrase I may need. Their food is absolutely gourmet! Regarding the cost, I didn't study the finaly bill, but my impression was it was somewhat low given the conditions provided and the lengthy time I stayed there. Maybe at the time it was new and run some promotion, I don't know ( I delivered a bit after MissSixty). It may have gone up now.

Can you please give the name of the doctor. I am 34 weeks pregnant and planning to deliver there.

Thank you