PDA

View Full Version : I want to save money for a trip

shurale
19-12-2011, 20:05
Hello everybody,

I want to save money for a trip. For a big trip.
I think I should start saving money now and I think I can save most on food.
Anybody wants to give advice?

Victoria 55
19-12-2011, 20:09
Hello everybody,

Don't visit "Azbuka vkusa"))
Eat 3 times a week- Monday,Wednesday and Friday)
Instead of drinking water use a snow)

Benedikt
19-12-2011, 22:20
Hello everybody,

ok, you can save but do not SKIMP, you still need all your fruits and vegetables and what have you. but a few hints and tips.

1. Always go shopping with a list.And stick to it. Never mind whatever there is on special offer. You do not need it. It still will be there next time.
2.Never go shopping on an empty stomach. You load up your trolley with much more then what you want or need.
3.Kids stay at home,if you have any. Period. Shopping you do yourself. And only what you need.
4.Don't think a big 5 kg bag of something is cheaper then 5x1 kg bags.
Also, think are you going to use what ever you bought, before the use by date and then have to throw out 1/3 or more.*(2 x 500 gr sugar cubes from Belarus are cheaper then 1x1 kg. At BILLA. Go tell)
5. Sliced bread is at least 20% more expensive then whole bread. Slice it at home..
6.Read the advertisements VERY careful. Many items are only sold at the cheaper price if yo ubuy 2 or more. *(Again BILLA). Do you really need two bottles of whatever is on sale.
7. Go shopping at the local -weekend- markets. They are in every district and work only on weekends. because on Sunday night the vendors have to schlepp their stuff all the way back home, you get good deals on Sunday evening.
8.Buy only what is more or less in season. -You- do not need now strawberries from Guatemala. Mandarines from Abchasia are in Season now, sweet and big, not the sour small stuff from Morocco or Tunisia or Turkey.
9.NEVER compromise on quality. It does not help if the potatoes or onions are cheap, already pre packed so you do not see inside, at home after a day or tow, half the potatoes or onions become soft and rotten. (AUCHAN is a favorite in this.)
10.Buy a few bunches of herbs in bigger quality. Parsley, dill, basil, green onions and the like. Chop them, add oil and salt to the herbs, they will last in the refrigerator for weeks and you do not have to chop a spoonful and then throw away half, when cleaning the cutting board.
11.MOST of all: buy -local-, at the shops around the corner, you will be amazed what they will do for you and find for you if you are a regular.
12. It might be easy to say, forget Stockmann or Asbuka Vkusa, it is not so. They also have their specials or items that no one else has and ARE needed or come in handy. Just THINK when going there and buy only what you need or want and don't be tempted.

Victoria 55
19-12-2011, 23:06
Hello everybody,

Some supermarkets cheat customers.Food price on the shelf can differ from food price at the cash desk.If you buy food in the "Perekrestok" there is a special equipment to check the price before you pay for it.

Benedikt
19-12-2011, 23:13
Some supermarkets cheat customers.Food price on the shelf can differ from food price at the cash desk.If you buy food in the "Perekrestok" there is a special equipment to check the price before you pay for it.

but they ALWAYS apologized, sorry, sorry, they had no time to change the stickers on the shelves. and so far, i always get my money back. *(sometimes in the beginning i did this. now i don't go shopping to Auchan anymore. it is not worth my time.. and you stand on the check out for another 1h. i can do with that better.)

TolkoRaz
20-12-2011, 00:07
Hello everybody,

Cancel Christmas and the New Year, return all bought presents and the Champagne; use recovered money to finance the trip of a lifetime :)

Victoria 55
20-12-2011, 00:12
but they ALWAYS apologized, sorry, sorry, they had no time to change the stickers on the shelves. and so far, i always get my money back. *(sometimes in the beginning i did this. now i don't go shopping to Auchan anymore. it is not worth my time.. and you stand on the check out for another 1h. i can do with that better.)
I experienced such problem.But Auchan still has good prices and it is good even the price isn't correct.I don't go to Auchan,because it is too far from my house.

martpark
20-12-2011, 00:16
Replace the light bulbs in yr house with long-lasting, energy efficient ones. Turn off lights, etc when not in use.

Victoria 55
20-12-2011, 01:35
Don't use an electric tea kettle.

mrzuzzo
20-12-2011, 02:02
Replace the light bulbs in yr house with long-lasting, energy efficient ones. Turn off lights, etc when not in use.

Don't use an electric tea kettle.

Neither of these suggestions will save money to go on a trip.

martpark
20-12-2011, 02:07
Neither of these suggestions will save money to go on a trip.

They'll do more than your suggestion.

mrzuzzo
20-12-2011, 02:41
They'll do more than your suggestion.

Not really... What you're suggesting gives savings of, what, 100rub a month?

The best thing to do to save money in Moscow is to find a cheaper place to live if you're renting, rent with somebody, move further from the center.

I really can't imagine big savings even on food unless you choose to eat lower quality products or eat just the essentials.

Unfortunately, Moscow is not a good city for "saving" money.

DavidB
20-12-2011, 02:47
http://www.mosenergosbyt.ru/portal/page/portal/site/tarifs/physical_person_tarifs/

Using the maximum tariff for Moscow (3.45rubles per kWh):

60W incandescent lightbulb running 5 hours per day for a year:
365*5*60/1000*3,45 = 377,75 rubles

15W eco-wanking bulb running for the same 5 hours per day for a year:
365*5*15/1000*3,45 = 94,44 rubles

So each bulb saves around 23,61 rubles per month if you run it for 5 hours a day at the maximum tariff. But eco bulbs cost a lot more, so it takes a few months before it starts saving money. If you replace 5 of them, you might save enough for a cup of coffee after 6 months. :D

SpinaPubica
20-12-2011, 11:35
Not really... What you're suggesting gives savings of, what, 100rub a month?

The best thing to do to save money in Moscow is to find a cheaper place to live if you're renting, rent with somebody, move further from the center.

I really can't imagine big savings even on food unless you choose to eat lower quality products or eat just the essentials.

Unfortunately, Moscow is not a good city for "saving" money.

As far as i remember he is living in Prague.
I agree with the rest of what you say Mr Z
Shurale , if you are not going to fancy restaurants i dont think you can save remarkable amounts of money by cutting the food budget.
If your "big trip" requires "big money" then you should considering selling your car if you have any or at least start using public transportation.

LondonYvonne
20-12-2011, 19:37
Or get a part time evening job and save the extra income

robertmf
20-12-2011, 19:41
So each bulb saves around 23,61 rubles per month if you run it for 5 hours a day at the maximum tariff. But eco bulbs cost a lot more, so it takes a few months before it starts saving money. If you replace 5 of them, you might save enough for a cup of coffee after 6 months. :D

Despite some energy benefit, the eco-bulbs are that non-ęsthetic florescent. That's okay in a factory/office, but I prefer incandescent in the home and restaurants, etc.

DavidB
20-12-2011, 21:59
Despite some energy benefit, the eco-bulbs are that non-ęsthetic florescent. That's okay in a factory/office, but I prefer incandescent in the home and restaurants, etc.

You are right - the quality of light from CFL bulbs is much lower than incandescent ones. To me, using CFL bulbs to save electricity is similar to not washing your clothes for a month to save water.

If you want to save energy without diminishing the quality of light, you can buy 40W halogen bulbs for standard E27 sockets. A 40W halogen bulb emits about the same amount of light as a 60W incandescent, and the intensity across the colour spectrum is even, like with incandescent bulbs. But it still won't save much money.

The other thing I find funny about CFLs is that they contain mercury, so disposing of them without causing pollution is a major operation compared to a simple incandescent bulb.

lacrima
24-12-2011, 23:28
Eating out usually takes much money.
Quit going to cafes and clubs, stay at home and cook youself, don't dine on burgers, etc
Quit smoking as it's also rather expensive

By the way, are you sure the trip is worth the efforts spared on it? maybe smth cheaper will suit you better?

WhiteLight
04-01-2012, 15:36
are you sure the trip is worth the efforts spared on it? maybe smth cheaper will suit you better?

www.ibbp.com

www.savingadvice.com

Шанин В.А. Как путешествовать.ISBN 978-5-98652-173-2

cbhattarai
20-02-2012, 16:24
If you want to save money on tips then the best option is start planning the expence from now, as do early booking of the hotels..

BabyFirefly
20-02-2012, 17:05
I second moving farther from the center. I can't think of any other way to see "big" savings. Other than that, no clubs, no casual dating, little to no eating out.

In terms of food... well, I've never ever found good quality produce at Auchan. Only seafood and other things, but veggies and fruits are always crap, or what's left over is terrible. I go there for baked goods, seafood, other stuff. If you're willing to give up meat for a while, beans have lots of protein, are quite versatile, and you'll be very full.

whiterussian
22-02-2012, 16:13
If you're willing to give up meat for a while, beans have lots of protein, are quite versatile, and you'll be very full.
You'll be very full of garbage. You can't save a lot of money on food. The only way to save money is to make more money.

With that said, I can eat pretty healthy on 100 rubles a day, and that includes meat, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, and some veggies. I don't eat bread and I don't eat fruit at all, because what they sell in stores has no nutritional value whatsoever. Oh, and no beer and other alcohol of course.

sunmind
01-03-2012, 01:12
if you wanna travel, better concentrate how to save on a trip

- stay for free abroad with www.couchsurfing.com

- hitchike when travel

- use low cost air lines

Green Tea
01-03-2012, 01:24
http://www.campingtents.us/images/camping-tent-480.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cn6j0o4Cc_I/R2WV1_2FjZI/AAAAAAAAABE/hH9urR6q1ow/s400/aaron_huey_siberia_hitchhiking.jpg

http://www.buzzinn.net/img/bizarre-and-odd/unusual-begging-methods/unusual-begging-methods14.jpg

blazo
24-07-2012, 14:39
Don't drink; don't smoke; don't eat out; eat lots of buckwheat, oatmeal, eggs, cabbage and in season fruits/veggies; don't buy "stuff" (clothes, electronics, etc); start planning your trip now; make a budget and document ALL your expenses and figure out exactly how much you'll need to save per month...

orlando771
24-07-2012, 15:45
Get a boyfriend, who would pay for all your expenses... :)

Hello everybody,

peppermintpaddy
25-07-2012, 01:12
[url]

15W eco-wanking bulb running for the same 5 hours per day for a year:

An eco wanking bulb?Why haven't I heard of these things before now?

Kagan
25-07-2012, 12:17
Don't visit "Azbuka vkusa"))
)

This is exactly true ... I live on Vrubelya street and it was the first super market which i have visited first in Moscow. I got nothing for 2000 rubbels :(

okiey
25-07-2012, 16:57
I don't see how its possible to save much money on food, particularly for a trip.

rob'n jerry
23-08-2012, 03:41
There are markets in the city where you can find good fresh meat, vegetables and russian deserts:thumbsup:. I go to Danilovskij or Novie Cheremushki, I know there is one in every part of the city.