PDA

View Full Version : USA - is it really that bad?

shurale
15-12-2011, 19:48
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/census-shows-1-2-people-103940568.html

BrandonL
15-12-2011, 20:58
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/census-shows-1-2-people-103940568.html

no

BabyFirefly
15-12-2011, 21:56
Yes. It's expensive to live in America.

Swordfish90293
15-12-2011, 23:48

I think not, especially if you consider the level of quality and availability for the price, say, of food...However gasoline is definitely more expensive. And in a place like L.A. or San Diego that's a major cost...

Benedikt
15-12-2011, 23:55
no

and it was before my Russian years, meaning quite a few years back....but i had a South African stamp in my passport, i worked there for 11 years, i had quite a few not so pretty adventures.
but then so i did in Indonesia, for different reasons,and we were only a few -western expats- at that time on that town.
and a few other places as well...

BabyFirefly
16-12-2011, 00:12
I think not, especially if you consider the level of quality and availability for the price, say, of food...However gasoline is definitely more expensive. And in a place like L.A. or San Diego that's a major cost...

Yeah but you have to pay for insurance, if not you might as well shoot yourself if an emergency comes. University is very expensive, and housing in good places is (or was). If you're in a neighborhood with bad schools, sending your kids to private school will be expensive. Public transport is expensive (not as much as in Sydney but not like in Moscow) and in some places non-existant, etc. And IMO job opportunities are scarce.

It really does depend on *where* in the US you live though.

BrandonL
16-12-2011, 00:22
Yeah but you have to pay for insurance, if not you might as well shoot yourself if an emergency comes. University is very expensive, and housing in good places is (or was). If you're in a neighborhood with bad schools, sending your kids to private school will be expensive. Public transport is expensive (not as much as in Sydney but not like in Moscow) and in some places non-existant, etc. And IMO job opportunities are scarce.

It really does depend on *where* in the US you live though.

Eh, I lived in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, in a nice area, I was paying $500 a month for a 3 bedroom/3 bathroom apartment.
I also had a two bedroom apartment in Newtonville(or newton), MA (one of the TOP places to live in America) and I was paying $750 a month.
in 2004 I have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house in Superior, Colorado (at the time it was the #2 nicest place to live in America) and I was paying $960 for the entire place. You can even google map it and see the neighborhood (961 sapphire way, Superior, colorado)
Boston public transportation is like $40 bucks a month for buses or $60 for the subway, which is roughly the same price as Moscow.
A lot of schools if they are bad, or you have problems, they will allow you to transfer to a different school.
Health insurance is not mandatory either. and it's actually not that expensive, if you take in account, how much cheaper it is to live in America then in Moscow.

sashadidi
16-12-2011, 08:37

Try Sydney Australia!!

mrzuzzo
16-12-2011, 10:38
I agree with Pete and Brandon, it's not that bad... If you have a decent job, you can have a much higher quality of life and afford much more stuff than you can in Moscow. It's not even remotely comparable.

I'd say the quality of life you can have on $3000 a month in the USA (net, after taxes) is comparable to the same quality of life you can have on $7000 here.