PDA

View Full Version : We want to open apartment-hotel is it interesting?

Maiorka
13-12-2011, 19:14
Good evening!
I apologize for being distracted, but I have a question (very interesting for me) - we would like to open the apartment-hotel on Tverskaya street (the third building from the Kremlin) so will it be interesting to foreigners? Conditions of living we have planned on the basis of the hotel cleaning rooms, changing bed linen, laundry, etc. Another question - is it minus that our rooms are on the 4th floor in a building without a lift? Approximate cost per night ranges from 5000 to 8400 rur. What price would be acceptable to you for similar apartments in a month?

Beforehand thank you for your reply and sorry for my English.
I'm sure any answer will help us a lot!

Have a great evening!

soprty
13-12-2011, 19:29
There are many companies offering serviced apartments so the best bet is to see what the going rates for a similar apartment in the center are and see if you are in line. Good luck to you.

Good evening!
I apologize for being distracted, but I have a question (very interesting for me) - we would like to open the apartment-hotel on Tverskaya street (the third building from the Kremlin) so will it be interesting to foreigners? Conditions of living we have planned on the basis of the hotel cleaning rooms, changing bed linen, laundry, etc. Another question - is it minus that our rooms are on the 4th floor in a building without a lift? Approximate cost per night ranges from 5000 to 8400 rur. What price would be acceptable to you for similar apartments in a month?

Have a great evening!

Benedikt
13-12-2011, 20:32
Good evening!

Have a great evening!

walking up four floors with luggage.and every night after returning from meetings...forget it. that might be a place for backpackers, but then they do not have 8000 rubles.

BrandonL
13-12-2011, 21:21
walking up four floors with luggage.and every night after returning from meetings...forget it. that might be a place for backpackers, but then they do not have 8000 rubles.

They could hire someone that would do that for them.

Benedikt
13-12-2011, 21:46
They could hire someone that would do that for them.

i work 45 years in the hospitality business. that does not make me an know all. but at least some things i know better then others about hotels and restaurants.:grind:

BrandonL
13-12-2011, 21:55
i work 45 years in the hospitality business. that does not make me an know all. but at least some things i know better then others about hotels and restaurants.:grind:

I'm not disagreeing with you)

I'm just saying, they could do that)

Nobbynumbnuts
13-12-2011, 22:17
I'm not disagreeing with you)

I'm just saying, they could do that)

I think Benedikt is right.
Even if someone was to help you up 3 flights of stairs with your luggage you would still have walk up everytime you came home. That wouldn't suit many people.
It would also add to operating costs, they'd need to pay me well to carry luggage up that many stairs. ;)

BrandonL
13-12-2011, 23:00
On Tverskaya? If it's near Night Flight, they could rent by the hour...

Or for some people, by the minute...

moscowmail
14-12-2011, 09:43
Surprise surprise, usual people going off thread, no wonder people hate to post here

Back to the OP, Ben is right, walking up 4 flights of stairs will damage this type of business, however, the location (sounds like near or opposite Ritz) is very good and you will get a better occupancy keeping your rates lower a tad

It goes without saying employ someone to carry the bags upstairs, but not many people who can afford your prices will book or return if they have to do that every time, there are a lot of serviced apartments around that are as well located and have a lift

Ben is also right in his suggestion, a hostel can make great money there, you just cram a lot more people in to the rooms

Rhubard Geoff
14-12-2011, 09:54
You only arrive and leave once with your luggage so what is the issue? Place would be mainly used by business people who are well used to travelling with an airline size bag and laptop case.

Sure there are lots of apartments to rent in Moscow but an aparthotel is slightly different and potentially more comfortable.

With companies looking to cut travel budgets I think it could work.

moscowmail
14-12-2011, 09:59
You only arrive and leave once with your luggage so what is the issue? Place would be mainly used by business people who are well used to travelling with an airline size bag and laptop case.

Sure there are lots of apartments to rent in Moscow but an aparthotel is slightly different and potentially more comfortable.

With companies looking to cut travel budgets I think it could work.

I agree in part, but when there are similar priced (and very nice) serviced apartments in the same area, for slightly less than 6,000 rur, I have stayed in one, with a lift, then the choice is quite clear, I think the concept of aparthotels are great, but it needs to be the right biz model, walking up 4 flights of stairs WILL putt some people off, not all of course, but you do not want to restrict your client base right away

I do wish the OP the best of luck though, as I said, the concept is great

FatAndy
14-12-2011, 11:06
Once upon a time I used such type of "hotel" - in Novosibirsk. They had a big fair that time (Sibirskaya yarmarka), and all of hotels, including located in city and suburbs were occupied. But my partners from Nsk have managed to find that apt. Well, 5th floor w/o elevator, but good renovated, with all appliances, for 2K/night, when minimal hotel price was 3200 for that fair season. Location was not very central but close to. They supplied all docs for my buchgalterium (bill, receipt), so I had no issues.
Only one disadvantage may appear here - no breakfast.

So for Maiorka it will be the main task to position it correctly with market segment and price ;)

Hostel? Maybe. 16 ppl by 500 rub or 8 by 1000 will form the same 8K... but there will be excessive load onto bathroom and toilet.

orlando771
14-12-2011, 11:27
Good evening!

Have a great evening!

I had some friends came couple weeks ago, and i found similar place for them in vdnh same service, and paid 2500 rbl a night. to them it didnt matter if they have kremlin view or not.

soprty
14-12-2011, 11:28
What kind of fit-out does the apartment have? I think this will also play a major role on what you can offer. If you need suggesitons on the fit-out let me know.

Cheers and again good luck

Gypsy
14-12-2011, 14:00
What kind of fit-out does the apartment have? I think this will also play a major role on what you can offer. If you need suggesitons on the fit-out let me know.

Cheers and again good luck

Fit out is important as is quality and appearance of entrance. If you want repeat business from foreigners this will have to be good.

I believe the big market is for hotel type accomodation for Russians visiting from the regions. Your price levels seem well suited to them and the quality of entrance etc will not be an issue.

AgentJen
14-12-2011, 15:42
The price will have to be competitive and have good customer support. Serviced flats cost from 3000p - 7000p (70 - 150) per night.
These often include 2-3 rooms and are centrally located (including Tverskaya).

Uncle Pasha
16-12-2011, 09:06
The rate you propose is most definitely excessive.

In the best of days I was able to rent a large studio next door to Balchug-Kempinsky, on the other side of the river from you, for $140-160/night. Now I need to work hard to keep it rented for $70-120, depending on the length of stay.

Presently I'm doing a review of the hospitality scene in Moscow and see that many vendors active 5-7 years ago are out of business. Not a good time to offer yet another "apartment hotel". If you have a good agent you can get a room at The National for under $200!

Also the first few pages of Google results for Moscow+hotel are fully occupied by old/established ones. I see no easy way to penetrate this information blockade by the biggies.

I would also caution you against offering low rates. Budget travellers tend to be a source of trouble. Unappetizing details on my attempt to offer $10-25 accommodation in the center of Moscow are available on request.

It is unlikely to work. Look for another business model.

Uncle Pasha
16-12-2011, 09:22
Re: "I believe the big market is for hotel type accomodation for Russians visiting from the regions."

These two crowds (Russians and westerners) just don't mix. If you rent to Russians you need to keep things minimalistic. One set of linen. Just enough utensils to get by. Anything extra will disappear! Make sure long-distance access is blocked if working with the "provincials". With civilized toilet-trained people the approach is just the opposite. Can't rent the same apartment to both provincial Russians (with a rare exception) and westerners (where exceptions are common but still a typical westerner will not steal towels).

Re: The elevator and entrance hall issues mentioned earlier.

Elevator or no elevator and the quality of entrance are but very minor things. You winning points are location and especially the fact that you are new and thus probably not yet disgusted with the very idea of humans being allowed to roam this damn planet without a leash.

Maiorka
16-12-2011, 16:53
Thanks to all for reply! You have given me so much additional information, now I have some questions on which I should think.

Have a nice day!

Maiorka
16-12-2011, 17:52
We were interested in a possibility of making hostel. We have a few premises on Kropotkinskaya and Alekseevskaya metro station. How do you think would it be reasonable to make there hostels and for what price?

Thanks for any response!

Uncle Pasha
19-12-2011, 07:38
My friend has a two room apartment right by Metro Alexeyevskaya. Sleeps 2-4, air, internet etc. functional but otherwise very basic. Available every summer. In the summer it rents, with some effort, at $70/night, $400/week, $1200/month, or $1000/month. $70/night sort of feels like the right price for the area.

Kropotkinskaya is a totally different game. I'd say the rate should be nearly twice what it is in an ordinary risidential neighbourhood. My Ovchinnikovskaya Naberezhnaya studio (on the canal, opposite Red Square, 600ft to Balchug-Kempinsky) rents comfortably from $120/night to $2000/month. Kropotkinskaya, I think, is more expensive.