PDA

View Full Version : Problem renewing Russian passport for child

moscowlondon
16-09-2007, 23:00
My wife is Russian (and naturalised British)and I am British. Our child was born in London and acquired British citizenship at birth. We registered his birth at the Russian Embassy and they entered our child in my wife's Russian International Passport. It was subsequently renewed at the Russian Embassy in London. Our child is also in my wife's internal passport.

My wife's passport is now expiring and the passport people in Taganka refuse to include our child, or issue him his own passport, arguing that he isn't Russian! We've gone back several times. I rang the Russian Embassy in London and they said to come back and renew the passport in London! Won't work as we cannot leave Russia without a valid passport.

What can we do? The British Embassy in useless. Our child has a British passport but as he entered Russia on my wife's Russian passport he cannot use it. So our child is effectively stuck here.

Clean32
16-09-2007, 23:15
Ok easy

you need your wifes pasport
british birth certificate, translated and notarised

first you go to the RF citizen office, get your childs citizenship papers.

Then you go get a passport for your child at the OVIR

moscowlondon
16-09-2007, 23:28
I have my wife's passport, our marriage certificate (we were married in Moscow) and my child's birth certificate translated and notarised (with apostille).

What is the RF citizen's office? Where is it? We live in Moscow, near Novy Arbat. I've never heard of this office. We'll go immediately if you can tell us where it is. Amazing that the Embassy never mentioned this!

Clean32
16-09-2007, 23:40
no sorry i doint live in moscow myself, put it up as a new thread plenty of peaple here have had children in russia, so thay have all been there.

the othere thing is when your wife gets her new passport the spelling of you last name uummm may have changed, uslly to something weird, doint worry just go with it, but you will have to change any tickets. you can get new passports again in the UK when you get back.

moscowlondon
17-09-2007, 07:05
Clean 32 has advised me to go to the "RF citizenship office" and obtain citizenship documents for my child. We live in Moscow and cannot find this office. I called the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and they do not know of it. Our local OVIR is also clueless. Does anyone in Moscow know where this office is?

tgma
21-09-2007, 13:07
It should be the local OVIR - there should be a department specifically dealing with children under the age of 18. They should at least be able to tell you what to do - we went there to get my daughter included my wife's passport, but then, she was born in Russia. But we had renounced her Russian citizenship when she was born, in order to get an exit visa. Now we wanted to re-activate her Russian citizenship, and all I had to do was to sign a document stating that I had never applied to the British Embassy for citizenship for my daughter.

My guess is, you should be able to do something similar for your child. But there should be a department in the OVIR where your wife is registered, although the queue will probably be horrendous.

Katrine L
21-09-2007, 15:32
Maybe Clean32 has meant ZAGS (Civil States Records Office)- they register all births, marriages\divorces, deaths in Russia and their documents usually serve as basis for all further police and OVIR procedures of issuing passport. Try to contact them, may you will learn smth useful. The closest ZAGS to you is at New Arbat str.21
phone (495) 203-52-46

Clean32
21-09-2007, 19:33
Maybe Clean32 has meant ZAGS (Civil States Records Office)- they register all births, marriages\divorces, deaths in Russia and their documents usually serve as basis for all further police and OVIR procedures of issuing passport. Try to contact them, may you will learn smth useful. The closest ZAGS to you is at New Arbat str.21
phone (495) 203-52-46

Thanks, thats exacly what he needs to do. and you are correct about the birth certificate, i suspect that the OVIR will not budge untill thay get that