PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for City Visits

Wanderer
28-11-2003, 14:45
I have visited a few Russian cities during my work periods based in Moscow (namely : St Pet, Samara, Yekaterinburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Ufa, Irkutsk).

Can you recommend another city visit in the RF or former USSR for a weekend and why ?
Hotel recommendation too would be useful.

Cheers

DaveUKagain
28-11-2003, 14:53
Volgograd`s interesting, Wanderer. Stalingrad Battle Museum, motherland statue on Mamaev Kurgan, Volga river, pavement cafes - embankment, some nice little restraunts - great in summer but winter is a no. ;-))))) 90 minutes flight from Moscow and for a good hotel, try the Sberbank Hotel on Ulitsa Kommunisticheskaya - cheap, clean, friendly.

Nice place.

rosieredwood
28-11-2003, 18:01
...wait until summertime, and go visit any of he Golden Ring cities, using Yaroslavl as your "base of operations." And buy a guidebook: Lonely Planet, Fodor's etc.

Intourist
28-11-2003, 18:09
Within the RF, I'd say that if you liked Irkutsk, I'd recommend something further east like Khabarovsk or Vladi or Ulan Ude. The value for all three of them would be for the cultural opportunity of visiting relatively remote places, but there's enough little things to do in each of them to make a weekend out of it.

You also mentioned former USSR, and while a lot of Estonians would probably resent that label, never having considered themselves as such, I'd recommend Tallinn. If you have a multiple entry Russian visa and hail originally from the US or UK (and a host of other Western European countries) then you don't need a visa to go. It's an overnight train ride or hour plane ride. The old town is fantastic for a little sight-seeing and hitting the boutiques. Night-life is pretty active as well.

Wanderer
28-11-2003, 19:29
Thanks for the recommendations folks.

Dave - anyone you would like me to look up in V'grad in particular ?

The winter snow / conditions don't bother me too much - to me that's part of the 'flavour' of Russia....