PDA

View Full Version : Flying through Kaliningrad - interesting question

hopkonian
16-09-2007, 15:45
Hi,
I have an interesting problem. My visa is valid from the 29th of September. I've found a cheap flight that leaves the 28th and gets in on the 29th, but there's a transfer in Kaliningrad - and the transfer takes place on the 28th! So I'll be entering the RF on the 28th in Kaliningrad, but not leaving the terminal. Will this be a problem? Do I have to pass through visa control in Kaliningrad before flying on to Moscow? Any help would be appreciated!

MaltSokol
17-09-2007, 00:36
Hi

You are going to go through passport control 90% in Kaliningrad as the Kaliningrad-Moscow will be a domestic flight. Your only chance is not to fly directly to Moscow but via a 3rd country, so that you would be in int'l terminals till your arrival in Moscow.
Maybe you could get a transit visa for the 28th. But in Moscow you should get your transit visa stamped as exit and your normal visa stamped as entrance... somehow...
I'd try to change the ticket.. The carrier is not going to let you in the plane :)

Good Luck,

Alberto

granit
17-09-2007, 21:31
Hi,
I assume that you are flying Kdavia, their website actually has information on this situation (http://www.kdavia.eu/article/128) . You will need to pass through passport control at Kaliningrad so it is very likely that you will have problems. I would advise you to either change the flight or extend the visa.

Granit

hopkonian
18-09-2007, 00:37
Wow, great find, I've been looking for something like that all day!

I finally got through to the Russian Embassy in Washington and they told me the same thing - indeed, recommended the same thing as Alberto: fly through a third country.

Thanks for all your help. See you in Moscow!

MaltSokol
18-09-2007, 12:39
You could try Airbaltic changing at a baltic state (which are EU and you dont need visa). I don't know if the timetables allow to link easily, but you could change at Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, Kuressaare, or even Helsinki.
The problem is that they are no stopover, so you'll have to take your bagage in Kaliningrad, which implies entering the RF. But with a ticket to the EU, you'd have the right to obtain a transit visa for the 28th. Then you would reenter RF on 29th with your normal visa.