PDA

View Full Version : I hate the word 'trending'....!

Green Tea
04-12-2011, 00:57
Can't stand this word. Makes me cringe whenever yuppies and tv pundits use it.

martpark
04-12-2011, 01:00
Why don't you look into your tea leaves and tell us something you like?

Green Tea
04-12-2011, 01:03
I like brunettes.

That's not the point! Don't say "trending"!!!

ezik
04-12-2011, 01:30
Is "trending" something like "being the trend"? Or is it more like attempting to be the trend?

Korotky Gennady
04-12-2011, 01:59
I hate the word 'trending'.

What about the other words ?

martpark
04-12-2011, 02:51
Is "trending" something like "being the trend"? Or is it more like attempting to be the trend?

Used in twitter to mean 'popular'.

robertmf
04-12-2011, 03:20
What about the other words ?

trending == "becoming a trend" | in the process of becoming popular | tending to

compare to

trendy == already a trend|fashionable|popular

chartreuse
04-12-2011, 08:35
I like brunettes.

That's not the point! Don't say "trending"!!!

I hate every single word they say on Russian MTV! They are all English words with perverse meaning spoken by Russians who have no idea what they are saying! I hope my daughter will evade this by some magic (before we move out of here).

CareBear
04-12-2011, 12:15
I hate every single word they say on Russian MTV! They are all English words with perverse meaning spoken by Russians who have no idea what they are saying! I hope my daughter will evade this by some magic (before we move out of here).

I pray your daughter will evade you by some magic...

rusmeister
04-12-2011, 18:54
I've come to the place where I don't pay any attention to fashionable language any more. I figure out what is the clearest and most precise way of saying something and say it.

It's common for people to repeat whatever language they hear, mainly in the media. When it's nonsense or just plain wrong, I don't say it even when everybody repeats it like sheep - particularly when it represents vague thinking.

I no longer say "be gay", "have sex", "way cool", "to friend someone" or any of the modern nonsense language that floods our airwaves.

A good excerpt from a great essay on euphemisms and false language:

When somebody wishes to wage a social war against what all normal people have regarded as a social decency, the very first thing he does is to find some artificial term that shall sound relatively decent. He has no more of the real courage that would pit vice against virtue than the ordinary advertiser has the courage to advertise ale as arsenic. His intelligence, such as it is, is entirely a commercial intelligence and to that extent entirely conventional. He is a shop-keeper who dresses the shop-window; he is certainly the very reverse of a rebel or a rioter who breaks the shop-window. If only for this reason, I remain cold and decline the due reverence to Companionate Marriage and the book which speaks so reverentially about the Revolt of Youth. For this sort of revolt strikes me as nothing except revolting; and certainly not particularly realistic. With the passions which are natural to youth we all sympathize; with the pain that often arises from loyalty and duty we all sympathize still more; but nobody need sympathize with publicity experts picking pleasant expressions for unpleasant things; and I for one prefer the coarse language of our fathers.
http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc/books/on_evil_euphemisms.html

Parco
05-12-2011, 03:04

Gladly swap with you to stay/leave.

BTW - my friend works for MTV Russia, on the Trendy show :mml: