PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Russian food?

LondonYvonne
26-11-2011, 23:33
What is your favorite Russian food?

TolkoRaz
26-11-2011, 23:39
Chornaya Ikra :celebrate:

robertmf
27-11-2011, 01:02

vodka with pickled herring & onions in cream sauce and black bread.

Korotky Gennady
27-11-2011, 02:23
pelmeni ("meat dumplings") with sour cream

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 03:48
The Russian food is quite plain, unless you know how to take it. For example, Westerners first eat the caviar, then drink the wine. WRONG! They also say that vodka is too strong for caviar. Of course it is if you do it this way. You first drink vodka and then eat the caviar, silly. Here's a fine example of how the Russian food and drinks can truly bring happiness to your life (starring the legendary [Russian] actor of our times Alexei Petrenko and the magnificent Julia Ormond):
More!

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 05:33
"Pelmeni, or stuffed boiled dumplings in general, originated in China (thus explaining the use of spices such as black pepper, which are not native to Russia and had to be imported) and were carried by the Mongols to Siberia and the Urals, from where they gradually spread as far as Eastern Europe. Pelmeni were particularly favored by hunters, who were looking for light, easy-to-prepare, nourishing food to take with them frozen on long hunting trips in the winter."

Are you sure you're a teacher?

I have to admit, drtnsnw, I don't get half of your jokes (my fault, naturally, I'm sorry, I mean it). Can I be anal? So the guy explained perfectly the origin of Pelmeni. He forgot, though, that they were spread all the way to Italy as well, via the Silk Road, but that's the details. Everything else is true. Pelmeni is a Chinese food. What's your beef? I mean, seriously, I'm learning English every other second of my life, so I simply want to know :) So there, I've been anal. Can we talk like human beings now? For a change? No joke, no jest, nothing. Serious question.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 05:39
pelmeni ("meat dumplings") with sour cream

Beef pelmeni with sour cream (hot crushed peppers on top -- my own addition), fresh Russian rye bread, and frozen vodka is Heaven on Earth to me. Nothing compares. Not Mexican, Thai, Indian, Chinese, or any other food that I really like. As the song goes: Nothing compares to you...

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 07:42

made from young lamb, not the old tough sheep they are flogging around.
smothered in nice thick pomegranate sauce *(-Nasharab- from Kinko, i think the company who makes the best).
salad made from thinly sliced red onions, lots of coriander greens, tomatoes, cucumbers. sprinkled with a little salt and vinegar.
fresh warm REAL Borodino black bread.
and sorry, for that not even after so many years in Russia, no Vodka, i hate it, but a nice cold beer.:hooray:

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 07:46
but BLINI you NEVER ate with a fork, always with hands ONLY!!!!! and they were supposed to be smothered in BUTTER, that's why it was called -maslenitsa- the butter week.and the butter was supposed to drip down your chin.
after that it was back to black bread and kvass for the fasting period, veliki post, before Easter.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 08:39
smothered in nice thick pomegranate sauce *(-Nasharab- from Kinko, i think the company who makes the best).
salad made from thinly sliced red onions, lots of coriander greens, tomatoes, cucumbers. sprinkled with a little salt and vinegar.
and sorry, for that not even after so many years in Russia, no Vodka, i hate it, but a nice cold beer.:hooray:
Cold beer? The day after, maybe (as a hair of the dog), but not as the main course, please. What you have described here is a pretty usual Caucasian treat, not Russian. Nice, but not Russian. Vodka doesn't go with it. It calls for red wine, or beer as the last resort. Russian food is supposed to complement vodka. Like kapusta, half-sour pickles (contrary to popular belief in the US, it's not Jewish food, it's Russian), sour pickles and tomatoes, sour mushrooms, that kind of stuff. Lots of meat and fish salads too. Shashlyk is so ordinary compared to that. Chicken or beef (sometimes pork) after the appetizers of course. But usually, the guests are so drunk by that time, that nobody really eats the main course anyway. That's why Russian appetizers are so filling.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 08:52
but BLINI you NEVER ate with a fork, always with hands ONLY!!!!! and they were supposed to be smothered in BUTTER, that's why it was called -maslenitsa- the butter week.and the butter was supposed to drip down your chin.
after that it was back to black bread and kvass for the fasting period, veliki post, before Easter.
You obviously know your Maslenitza, bravo. Still, the way they eat bliny in the movie is pretty genuine. And bliny there, ah, I wish I could have bliny like that right now. My grandmother made perfect bliny (just like in the movie), but my dear mother (whom I will always love in heaven) couldn't do it quite the same way. Bliny is an art. Not anyone can do it. Certanly those food stands do something that looks like bliny, but I will never eat that junk.

As far as butter goes, no, it's not supposed to drip down your chin. In Uzbekistan, when you eat plov, that's supposed to happen, but not when you eat Russian bliny. Black bread has nothing to do with it whatsoever. And kvas on Maslenitza is almost a sin. After Maslenitza -- kvas is all you have to drink. During Maslenitza, you are supposed to get drunk (not a law, a tradition).

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 09:23
Shashlik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Israel,Mongolia and Iran or Persia as it was known before, were for sure never part of the Caucasus region.
Also, the question was ,what is my favorite, so why should i say Vodka if i don't like it.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 09:45
Shashlik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashlik)

Israel,Mongolia and Iran or Persia as it was known before, were for sure never part of the Caucasus region.
Also, the question was ,what is my favorite, so why should i say Vodka if i don't like it.
In Russia, shashlyk-mashlyk means Caucasus. The question was, what is your fav Russian food. If the question was, what is you favorite food in general, I would say Chinese. But the questions was about the Russian food. Shashlyk is popular in Russia but it's not a Russian food and most of us eat it only on occasion. I ate it 5 days ago, and before that I can't even remember when I ate it. It's nice though, when done right of course :) As for vodka, I don't like it either, but as we say here in Russia, "you can't run from your destiny"...

NotMe
27-11-2011, 11:55
Hot boiled potatoes dressed with mixture of garlic, dill and vegetable oil.:lick:

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 12:18
"a nice shashlik"
"made from young lamb, not the old tough sheep they are flogging around"- PERFECT)
My favourite dish)

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 12:25
In Russia, shashlyk-mashlyk means Caucasus. The question was, what is your fav Russian food. If the question was, what is you favorite food in general, I would say Chinese. But the questions was about the Russian food. Shashlyk is popular in Russia but it's not a Russian food and most of us eat it only on occasion. I ate it 5 days ago, and before that I can't even remember when I ate it. It's nice though, when done right of course :) As for vodka, I don't like it either, but as we say here in Russia, "you can't run from your destiny"...
what IS Russian food:
Russian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the origins of Pelmeni are China, they came via the silk road with the traders to Russia.
Goluptsi, that stuffed cabbage rolls came via the med, where they used grape leaves and Poland, no grapes there, so cabbage.
Beef Stroganoff, was invented by a French Chef in St.P.
Chicken Kiev is not Russian either

That does not mean that my Austrian cuisine fares much better,Vienna SCHNITZEL hails from Byzantium, today's Istanbul. And the famous apple strudel is not Viennese either.

so what, at least Spaghetti are Italian, pasta was there long before Marco Polo came back from China.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 12:39
at least Spaghetti are Italian, pasta was there long before Marco Polo came back from China.
Hmm. I love Italy and Italians. Love my pasta too (I am a quite advanced Italian sauce chef). Do you have proof that Italians did it with no help from Chinese? I do believe that Chinese invented noodles, as everything else that they invented. If there's proof, I would like to hear it. No fighting, simple history lesson please.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 13:29
As far authentic Russian cuisine, of course there's no such thing, but Russians everywhere (even in America) eat pretty much the same thing and you can call it the Russian cuisine I think. It's simple and bland, unless (like I said) you know how to add some flare to it. I do it with hot crushed peppers mostly (I add it everywhere). Most Russians simply add mayo to every dish. I think it's disgusting but it sure adds a flavor to a dish (I've heard that in Brussels, they eat spaghetti with mayonnaise…yeah, well). But I digress.

Shashlyk is loved by all Russians, including myself, but it's a rare treat. Then again, I guess today you can call Shaurma and Sushi a Russian food, because it is popular and can be found on every corner. And let’s not forget Pizza, which is also very popular (really bad too, but nobody knows, so it’s not a problem). McDonalds is also right up there.

So, by these standards, my favorite Russian food is Royal Deluxe, Spicy tuna roll, Shaurma (without the cabbage please), Cheese pizza, and Shashlyk. There.

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 13:35
"Pizza (really bad too, but nobody knows, so it’s not a problem"- nobody knows? indeed?

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 13:43
"Pizza (really bad too, but nobody knows, so it’s not a problem"- nobody knows? indeed?
Yeah...indeed. Need details? Just ask.

TolkoRaz
27-11-2011, 13:57
Pelmeni is widely accepted as a Russian dish, its served in most Russian restaurants - Curry is an Indian food, but now its become a British National dish! :10310:

TolkoRaz
27-11-2011, 13:57

Is Pizza a Russian dish? :p

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 14:09
Hmm. I love Italy and Italians. Love my pasta too (I am a quite advanced Italian sauce chef). Do you have proof that Italians did it with no help from Chinese? I do believe that Chinese invented noodles, as everything else that they invented. If there's proof, I would like to hear it. No fighting, simple history lesson please.

Pasta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to history and you will read up that the lasagna were there long before Marco Polo. i did not think so at first either, but was pointed to wiki by an ITALIAN,:AngelPray: of course... Chef

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 14:12

and it is considered a vegetable, after all you have tomatoes,mushrooms, onions and the like there. milk comes from cows they eat gr**** cheese is made from milk, so it is vegetable, flour comes from grain, so it is vegetable....:celebrate:

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 14:15
It is now. The kind with whoknowswhat on it plus the mystery cheese that I wouldn't feed to my pig (if I had one) certainly is.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 14:20
and it is considered a vegetable, after all you have tomatoes,mushrooms, onions and the like there. milk comes from cows they eat gr**** cheese is made from milk, so it is vegetable, flour comes from grain, so it is vegetable....:celebrate:
One word -- PEPPERONI! It doesn't exist in Russia, I know, but come on. And don't make me start with anchovies...

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 14:29
Yeah...indeed. Need details? Just ask.
Is it so clever to judge all Russians?)))hm....
It isn't the ingenious answer.
"Just ask."- not interesting.

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 14:34
One word -- PEPPERONI! It doesn't exist in Russia, I know, but come on. And don't make me start with anchovies...

check out the -marinated vegetables- on any Russian menu, or on any local market.
marinated cabbage and tomatoes, pickled garlic, tsirimsha- pickled garlic stems and of course pickled chillies. pepperoni is just the Italian name. and they also have these little hot -jalapenos- here, pure fire i tell you.Mainly fresh in summer and not in abundant quantity but if you know where to look for, it is there.
and the pizza shops her for sure have NO imported jalapenos but local pickled chillies on their pizza.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 14:40
Is it so clever to judge all Russians?)))hm....
It isn't the ingenious answer.
"Just ask."- not interesting.
Don't be so gloomy, Victoria. I am Russian myself. A little f***ed in the head Russian, but Russian nevertheless. Everything is interesting, so let's talk :)

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 14:48
Don't be so gloomy, Victoria. I am Russian myself. A little f***ed in the head Russian, but Russian nevertheless. Everything is interesting, so let's talk :)
It is clear)you are a Russian)
gloomy? Nope. just quite one.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 15:02
It is clear)you are a Russian)
gloomy? Nope. just quite one.
How old are you? In some countries my even talking to you would be considered illegal. And I am a universal law abiding citizen :11721:

estre
27-11-2011, 15:26
Pirozhki i pirogi)))

Have you ever try delicious ones in the cafe Stolle?
It's really worth to eat them! )))

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 15:27
How old are you? In some countries my even talking to you would be considered illegal. And I am a universal law abiding citizen :11721:
"How old are you?"...
what about you? a bit drunk guy?)))
go to sleep...sweet dreams)

Benedikt
27-11-2011, 15:43
Pirozhki i pirogi)))

Have you ever try delicious ones in the cafe Stolle?
It's really worth to eat them! )))

don't think admin minds giving the address?

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 16:08
"How old are you?"...
what about you? a bit drunk guy?)))
go to sleep...sweet dreams)

Honey, I said it myself that I'm intoxicated. Read my work? Good for you. Look, if you want to talk, talk. If you want to practice insults, I'm game. Do your worst ;)

Korotky Gennady
27-11-2011, 16:10
Pelmeni is widely accepted as a Russian dish, its served in most Russian restaurants - Curry is an Indian food, but now its become a British National dish! :10310:

You see this yankey from Booze House knows better than us, russians, what russian traditional dishes are... :)))

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 16:14
Honey, I said it myself that I'm intoxicated. Read my work? Good for you. Look, if you want to talk, talk. If you want to practice insults, I'm game. Do your worst ;)
I'm not your "Honey") If you feel yourself insulted...why are you talking?....

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 16:14
don't think admin minds giving the address?
Do you mean Cafe Stolle? Hmm, doesn't sound like a commercial to me. Let me try it again in a different voice. Cafe Stolle! Nope, still nothing. Don’t work this Café Stolle, so take it easy. I’ll be in Café Stolle if you need me. Not that I like it, but they have the best coffee in town. Anything else there (at the Café Stolle) I don’t really like. I will accept my check now, thank you.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 16:18
I'm not your "Honey") If you feel yourself insulted...why are you talking?....

I didn't say you are "my" honey, but you are honey, aren't you? OK, how about "someone else's honey"? Does that sound better? I think just "Honey" would do. My piano teacher in a music school was Victoria Borisovna. Are you her? Vicrtoria...Vika, I loved you so much back then, Perhaps it is not too late for us to start all over. Please?

Victoria 55
27-11-2011, 16:24
I didn't say you are "my" honey, but you are honey, aren't you? OK, how about "someone else's honey"? Does that sound better? I think just "Honey" would do. My piano teacher in a music school was Victoria Borisovna. Are you her? Vicrtoria...Vika, I loved you so much back then, Perhaps it is not too late for us to start all over. Please?
more....please))))
Good ad)Thanks)

Korotky Gennady
27-11-2011, 16:35
Goluptsi, that stuffed cabbage rolls came via the med, where they used grape leaves and Poland, no grapes there, so cabbage.
Beef Stroganoff, was invented by a French Chef in St.P.
Chicken Kiev is not Russian either

. It doesn't matter... I don't know about Goluptsi... but Beef Stroganoff and some other dishes since long ago became the traditional russian food and the part of Russian cousine.

For instance there are classical russian pelmeni, Sibirian pelmeni, Pelmeni with veal, Pelmeni with meat of lamb or with fish and so on.

chartreuse
27-11-2011, 16:39
more....please))))
Good ad)Thanks)
Really? I can even write a song for you. Here:

Vika, my belle.
These are words that go together well,
Oh my Vikell.

Vika, my belle.
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
Très bien ensemble.

I love you, I love you, I love you.
That's all I want to say.
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know that
You'll understand.

More later. My muse left me for a moment, but I'll be back.

Green Tea
28-11-2011, 01:27
Драники с мясом

http://www.vkusnyblog.ru/wp-content/uploads/draniki-myas.jpg

Perhaps they are more Belarusian/Ukrainian, but still tasty Slavic food! :mooooh:

Korotky Gennady
28-11-2011, 01:35
That's like saying since Russians eat sushi, sushi is a traditional Russian dish.

Maybe your students should be teaching you...

Think with the brains... If you have ones... Sushi aren't russian traditional dish but if we start to eat it in almost every our house... then step by step it can become our traditional food sometime in the future.

robertmf
28-11-2011, 04:55
Драники с мясом

http://www.vkusnyblog.ru/wp-content/uploads/draniki-myas.jpg

Perhaps they are more Belarusian/Ukrainian, but still tasty Slavic food! :mooooh:

potato pancakes http://gotovim-doma.ru/view.php?r=322-recept-Draniki-postnye

Stuffed with meat, these Драники might be the English hand-size "meat pies" :question: ...

robertmf
28-11-2011, 05:12

If I want to have пилмени, I have to make my own. Same with закушки.

Pelmeni recipe (http://tasterussian.com/russian-pelmeni-recipe.html)

Benedikt
28-11-2011, 07:20
potato pancakes http://gotovim-doma.ru/view.php?r=322-recept-Draniki-postnye

Stuffed with meat, these Драники might be the English hand-size "meat pies" :question: ...

Draniki are never stuffed with meat, neither is meat or ham or bacon mixed under them. *(but since Chefs and cooks have culinary license , you can mix anything under the potatoes,even prunes, if you feel like, and it is a vegetarian dish)
and in Russia it is a typical but not exclusively, dish that is prepared in many restaurants during the -veliki post- before Easter.
Draniki can be compared to the newish potato- latkes- and indeed they originate from the Ukraine,Odessa, where there was a thriving Jewish community.
an English meat pie on the other hand consist of dough that is filled with braised beef and even better, some kidneys added and you have the famous steak and kidney pie.
How To Make Steak And Kidney Pie Recipe (Beef)
very easy to make, they just must have lots of -gravy- to soak up all the dough. and definitely no dill and sour cream!!!!

bce
28-11-2011, 13:02
My favourite is borscht, the recipe taken from Gordon Ramsey's Healthy Appetite :)

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 14:05
If I want to have пилмени, I have to make my own. Same with закушки.

Pelmeni recipe (http://tasterussian.com/russian-pelmeni-recipe.html)

Пельмени и закуски, Rob! :mad: :D
I guess where you've took закушки from - кушать? ;)

xSnoofovich
28-11-2011, 14:18
[I]"Pelmeni -originated in China

yea, a lot of asian countries have a variation of this dish, and i always thought it was funny that russians like to call it "russian" ravioli, or something like that, but since i am not a food historian, i just smile and nod.

xSnoofovich
28-11-2011, 14:22
Most Russians simply add mayo to every dish.

And that just shows how little westerners really know.

Mayo is the bomb. It makes everything better.

If Russia taught me anything it is ......

"How I stopped worrying and learned to love mayo."

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 15:47
Mayo is the bomb. It makes everything better.

If Russia taught me anything it is ......

"How I stopped worrying and learned to love mayo."
One of friends of mine yet from USSR times had a kind of proverb - "use olivie salad as zakuska for any strong alcohol - slides in and out easily!" ;)

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 16:47
How you, American, dare to promote cholesterol-containing food??!!:mad: :D

robertmf
28-11-2011, 16:50
How you, American, dare to promote cholesterol-containing food??!!:mad: :D

Bacon Explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

robertmf
28-11-2011, 16:56
Пельмени и закуски, Rob! :mad: :D
I guess where you've took закушки from - кушать? ;)

Спасибо. Люче с мягким знаком. хаха

What is the difference between есть и кушать :question:

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 17:04
Спасибо. Люче с мягким знаком. хаха

What is the difference between есть и кушать :question:

Не лучше, а правильнее! Ты, как шпион, должен это понимать! :D

"есть" is a kind of usual, everyday verb - for McD or other fast food place, cafe-bistro etc.
"кушать" is a bit (a bit!) more polite, pretentious, showing the process more like "procedure" or a kind of fun... - for a good restaurant
;)

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 17:08
Because mayo is sooooooooooo healthy...
Comrade, pls answer the question, don't hijack. ;) Nobody said that mayo is superhealthy. The claim was that it makes everything better.
How you dare to promote cholesterol-containing product?

robertmf
28-11-2011, 17:17
Comrade, pls answer the question, don't hijack. ;) Nobody said that mayo is superhealthy. The claim was that it makes everything better.
How you dare to promote cholesterol-containing product?

Do the Russian doctors have all adults on cholesterol medication like here :question:

Everybody here knows the answer to, "What's your HDL/LDL ?

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 18:00
I promote bacon because bacon is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sincere answer, comrade. Accepted. :D

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 18:04
Do the Russian doctors have all adults on cholesterol medication like here :question:

Everybody here knows the answer to, "What's your HDL/LDL ?

I'm in doubts that all of Russian doctors know the word. But... BTW, how much is the course of medication?
Surely not. I can only guess what is this abbreviation, like high density lipids, low density lipids? Or?

robertmf
28-11-2011, 18:16
I'm in doubts that all of Russian doctors know the word. But... BTW, how much is the course of medication?
Surely not. I can only guess what is this abbreviation, like high density lipids, low density lipids? Or?

Yes. HDL/LDL high and low lipids density. LDL is the bad boy.

HDL + LDL = total cholesterol which should be less than 200.

My normal total count runs about 230, so I am now on minimum cholesterol pill of 20mg per night (Simvastatin which is generic Zocor).

cholesterol meds (http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/cholesterol-medications)

Cholesterol meds are prescription drugs. Blood work, prescription + cost of pills = $

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 19:17
Yes. HDL/LDL high and low lipids density. LDL is the bad boy.

HDL + LDL = total cholesterol which should be less than 200.

My normal total count runs about 230, so I am now on minimum cholesterol pill of 20mg per night (Simvastatin which is generic Zocor).
Has anybody in US measured effects of 50-100 ml of vodka "per night":idea: vs 20 mg of (Simvastatin which is generic Zocor), with control group etc.?

robertmf
28-11-2011, 19:30
Has anybody in US measured effects of 50-100 ml of vodka "per night":idea: vs 20 mg of (Simvastatin which is generic Zocor), with control group etc.?

Yes - using me as control group :Loco:

... but a lot more than 100ml :) The report is no side effects except for occasional staggering.

xSnoofovich
28-11-2011, 19:38
BACON makes everything better.

Specially when you eat it Russian style, which of course, is served raw.....

FatAndy
28-11-2011, 19:55
Specially when you eat it Russian style, which of course, is served raw.....

With garlic, black bread and normal mustard! :lick:

robertmf
28-11-2011, 20:51
That "normal mustard" better be spicy!

:10806: Yes. The brown spicy mustard - not the yellow hot dog mustard. Horseradish mustard is also good.

FatAndy
29-11-2011, 10:51
That "normal mustard" better be spicy!
I meant normal Russian mustard, which you eat with tears... not "sweet" Western one, so here I agree fully.

FatAndy
29-11-2011, 16:09
Hah, the subj of boobs is disclosed... almost ;)

mikegulf
30-11-2011, 17:54
Plov

robertmf
30-11-2011, 17:59
Any more questions? :SwoonLoveSmiley:

Do you pop a cholesterol pill after all that triglycerided bacon :question:

CareBear
30-11-2011, 19:03

not really a fan of russian food....i guess potato salad.

robertmf
30-11-2011, 20:05
Any more questions? :SwoonLoveSmiley:

That rasher bacon on the side of the frying pan reminds me to mention brochettes.

Heat up broiler.

Wrap a 1/2 slice of (preferably thick-sliced) bacon around a scallop|shrimp|oyster. Stick with a toothpick, or make a kebab.

Place brochettes on cookie sheet.

Put cookie sheet into broiler. This cooking will be quick. Turn brochettes after 2 min. or so. Depends. Maybe you char a few for practice.

These are good, albeit expensive bar food, too. The local Molly McGuires gets $13 for a half dozen (scallop).

e.g. http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,brochette,FF.html

:10518:

chartreuse
04-12-2011, 09:49
not really a fan of russian food....i guess potato salad.

Stupid and primitive Potato Salad is an American food. Let's see: boiled potato slised, mayo, salt, pepper -- Potato Salad! How nice.

CareBear
04-12-2011, 12:12
Stupid and primitive Potato Salad is an American food. Let's see: boiled potato slised, mayo, salt, pepper -- Potato Salad! How nice.

If you want to be so "exact"...potato salad is tecnically originally from France, "princess". I apologise for my simple tastes ;)

Benedikt
04-12-2011, 13:24

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1231931228220006/Omas-echter-Berliner-Kartoffelsalat.html

chefkoch.de has 1400 recipes...
to make a good salad you need a special sort of potato,one that boils firm and not to -instant- mashed potatoes,-flesh- should be yellow and not white
slice thinly
add good beef bouillon
finely chopped onions
a touch of garlic
finely sliced chives
salt,good coarse sea salt if possible
white ground pepper
touch of mustard
touch of sugar
good apple vinegar, 3%, more it is to sour and not edible.
small finely chopped pickled cucumber and a little pickle marinade

mix all ingredients and let stand for at least 1 hour, so the potatoes can soak up the marinade. salad should be eaten luke warm and never cold.

Victoria 55
04-12-2011, 14:13
Unsuccessful Saturday night?))) hm....Why so angry?

CareBear
04-12-2011, 14:40
Unsuccessful Saturday night?))) hm....Why so angry?

haha I know, right? he's been responding to my every post like that!

CareBear
04-12-2011, 14:41
http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1231931228220006/Omas-echter-Berliner-Kartoffelsalat.html

chefkoch.de has 1400 recipes...
to make a good salad you need a special sort of potato,one that boils firm and not to -instant- mashed potatoes,-flesh- should be yellow and not white
slice thinly
add good beef bouillon
finely chopped onions
a touch of garlic
finely sliced chives
salt,good coarse sea salt if possible
white ground pepper
touch of mustard
touch of sugar
good apple vinegar, 3%, more it is to sour and not edible.
small finely chopped pickled cucumber and a little pickle marinade

mix all ingredients and let stand for at least 1 hour, so the potatoes can soak up the marinade. salad should be eaten luke warm and never cold.

Are you from Denmark? Just wondering

Benedikt
04-12-2011, 15:44
Are you from Denmark? Just wondering

as my avatar flag shows i am from Austria :wavey:and i am a Chef,:11157:45 years that is...:AngelPray:

robertmf
04-12-2011, 17:12

This looked like a good recipe until I got to the end. I'll substitute mayo for the vinegar, add celery & parsley, and serve chilled :)

CareBear
04-12-2011, 17:12
as my avatar flag shows i am from Austria :wavey:and i am a Chef,:11157:45 years that is...:AngelPray:

Ahh okay...didn't know whether you were a fan of Austria or from Austria. The link you gave was danish...so I figured maybe you were from there :) nice to meet you.

Benedikt
04-12-2011, 18:02
Ahh okay...didn't know whether you were a fan of Austria or from Austria. The link you gave was danish...so I figured maybe you were from there :) nice to meet you.

what difference one letter can make!!!!:10806:

shurale
05-12-2011, 16:46
The Russian food is quite plain, unless you know how to take it. For example, Westerners first eat the caviar, then drink the wine. WRONG! They also say that vodka is too strong for caviar. Of course it is if you do it this way. You first drink vodka and then eat the caviar, silly. Here's a fine example of how the Russian food and drinks can truly bring happiness to your life (starring the legendary [Russian] actor of our times Alexei Petrenko and the magnificent Julia Ormond):
More! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5uq075on0)

I have a strong aversion to Mikhalkov the film director.
The phony Russianness of his movies is truly nauseating!

ahince
05-12-2011, 21:44
My favorite Russian food is pancakes with red caviar, пелъмени, шашлык!!!

:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

chartreuse
09-12-2011, 09:22
My favorite Russian food is pancakes with red caviar, пелъмени, шашлык!!!

:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:
"№;% Да не ест никто у нас икру с блинами! А шашлык, ну шашлык, так это тока на даче, "№;%. А вот у меня её ваще нет и пипец! И шашлыков я не ем. И чо? Теперь я не русский что ли?

Look, normal Russians eat the following:

1. Bortsh (yam)
2. Schi (of done right, double-yum).
3. Kotlety ("cutlets", which are home made meat bolls, not a slice of meat).
4. Chicken (all of it, including the heart, which is a delicacy).
5. Beef kidneys (also a delicacy, very rare now).
6. Lamb testicles (not a Russian food, but always in the "Russian-Caucasus people" restaurant menu.
7. All kinds of salads with mayo (doesn't matter what's inside, as long as there's lots of mayo).
8. A fresh cucumber cut in half longways, each half salted and then eaten. The really old favorite.
9. Bef-Stroganoff, Gulyash, Azu -- means pretty much the same to most Russians. Small pieces of beef fried and then boiled in it's own juices for tenderness. Spices and vegetables are added during the process for flavor.
10. Bliny, pirogi, and other junk food that I never liked from my birth.
11. Sosiski. The horrible Russian frankfurters made of toilet paper and vomit. Sold at $5 a pound and very popular in Russia. Elections? What elections? How about vomit? Ate, eating, and will eat forever, goes the Russian slogan.

That's it. Pelmeni is the only food that people can make at home, which will resemble the real food. Other than that, VOMIT!

robertmf
14-04-2012, 19:42
Borscht (http://www.moscovore.com/blog/the-borscht-wars/) at moscovore.com

mds45
14-04-2012, 21:09

I like roasted or baked - I'm not fussy, 2 year old cat !

meri
15-04-2012, 00:27
Mine is shashlik, eggplant rolls and grilled potatoes with mushrooms.

I know shashlik is of Caucasian origin, eggplant rolls are adapted from Turkish/Greek/Italian , potatoes are in fact nothing but Swiss Röschti.
I was also upset to learn that Olivier (known as russian salad elsewhere) is by a french chef, pavlova is named after a Russian dancer but not Russian, kievski is now Ukrainian.

difference b/w kushat and yest is that kushat is derived from Ukrainian (old Russian) therefore better to use yest, I was told by my son :)

robertmf
15-04-2012, 00:55
Mine is shashlik, eggplant rolls and grilled potatoes with mushrooms.

I know shashlik is of Caucasian origin, eggplant rolls are adapted from Turkish/Greek/Italian , potatoes are in fact nothing but Swiss Röschti.
I was also upset to learn that Olivier (known as russian salad elsewhere) is by a french chef, pavlova is named after a Russian dancer but not Russian, kievski is now Ukrainian.

difference b/w kushat and yest is that kushat is derived from Ukrainian (old Russian) therefore better to use yest, I was told by my son :)

... I thought shashlik & kebabs are also from Turkic tribes :question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shish_kebab#Shish

I've only heard "Russian salad". Quite complex to make - but, as you point out - not Russian ... unless you ask a Soviet who will tell you all inventions are made in Russia :mml:

Olivier salad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chhotu
15-04-2012, 17:51
I like Vareniki (Vegetarian dumplings) and also Galuptsi (minced meat with rice stuffed in cabbage).

TGP
15-04-2012, 23:10

... which does not make Russia food taste worse.

TGP
15-04-2012, 23:34
- Olivier salad (and dont' tell me it is not Russian food!)

- boiled potatoes with sauer cabbage (which is called saurekraut in the West, but I guess it's a bit different thing) or with salted cucumbers

- rye bread "Borodinsky"

- pelmeni

- borshch, mashroom soup - it is not that Western puree-like stuff

- buckwheat kasha with fried onions

and some other trifles...

Benedikt
16-04-2012, 07:04

-before- he was so anti Putin and anything Government then got a few grants had help. And is singing now the song from the top of his lungs.
But this is not relevant here, this is the FOOD post.

Guillaume31
17-04-2012, 00:39
- Siliotka pot chuby

- Pierogi

- Pielmeni

and of course a "Spaghetti al vongole"