PDA

View Full Version : Never buy ACER!

13-09-2007, 11:40
A friend bought an ACER notebook some weeks ago, and suddenly couldn't boot anymore. Blue screen... She asked my brother to fix the problem. The point is that ACER does not supply ANY disk with their notebooks! My brother needed 5 hours work to fix all, he had to download all the drivers (one by one!!!) from ACER website (They don't even supply a ZIP file!), and had to buy a NON-licensed Windows disk (Acer sold with an OEM licensed copy, no disk of course!).

Conclusion: Never buy ACER! ALL other brands supply a recovery CD with all what is necessary in case of trouble.

Helga
13-09-2007, 11:42
So what can you suggest to buy?

13-09-2007, 11:50
Asus is a good choice, there are cheap nd expensive models. Siemens-Fujitsu is better in my opinion but more expensive.

Helga
13-09-2007, 11:52
Ok, thanks!

JohnnyLomo
13-09-2007, 12:30
I won't support Acer as I do not regard them as a particularly good manufacturer, but in case anyone else has a similiar problem, a little advice.

Acer do provide the back up software to restore the computer, but it is packaged in a hidden partition on the hard drive.
When you first boot you are asked if you would like to burn this software to DVD and if you select no you will get this warning each time you boot.
There is an option to turn off this warning and less computer literate folk may do this as it is a nag.
Thing is, if you don't burn the DVD and your hard drive goes "tits up" you are a little screwed.

Burn that disk folks, it only take a few minutes...

13-09-2007, 12:39
I won't support Acer as I do not regard them as a particularly good manufacturer, but in case anyone else has a similiar problem, a little advice.

Acer do provide the back up software to restore the computer, but it is packaged in a hidden partition on the hard drive.
When you first boot you are asked if you would like to burn this software to DVD and if you select no you will get this warning each time you boot.
There is an option to turn off this warning and less computer literate folk may do this as it is a nag.
Thing is, if you don't burn the DVD and your hard drive goes "tits up" you are a little screwed.

Burn that disk folks, it only take a few minutes...

Good recommendation for sure! But the girl didn't do it, so she had nothing. Acer should just do like all other companies, supply one recovery CD that contains the OEM licensed Windows copy and the drivers. It would cost... maybe 5 rubles more?!

JohnnyLomo
13-09-2007, 12:56
I fully agree, but it is increasingly common for manufacturers to follow this route now, Acer is definately not the only brand name company to operate in such a way.
I believe it is an anti piracy measure of some kind, I may stand corrected, but I understand that when you burn the disk from the hard drive it is marked as being unique to that machine so cannot be copied or sold on, for the manufacturer to provide unique disks (windows license aside) for every machine would, I assume, be somewhat expensive.

The nag shouldn't be ignored or turned off, but I do feel that thr importance of burning the backup be stressed at point of sale too..

Baracuda
13-09-2007, 13:02
Adding to "Guest" Toshiba is also good and they last pretty long, considering I still use a tablet PC I bought 5-6 years ago... HP I dont know about Russia but in Turkey they have a very good service..

ATO1980
13-09-2007, 13:13
Toshibas are good. Macs are good too, since now you can run any Windows program on them with the help of a special program.

13-09-2007, 13:15
Toshibas are good. Macs are good too, since now you can run any Windows program on them with the help of a special program.

I am interested by this (Windows on Mac). Any link, please ?

JohnnyLomo
13-09-2007, 13:16

You can actually run Windows itself using Bootcamp, and if cost isn't an issue, I would recommend a Mac over a PC everytime...

13-09-2007, 13:26
You can actually run Windows itself using Bootcamp, and if cost isn't an issue, I would recommend a Mac over a PC everytime...

About Windows software in Mac, do they really all work?

And why would you recommend Mac?

JohnnyLomo
13-09-2007, 13:32
Mac over a PC? It is a program that emulates Mac in a PC, or the opposite?

About Win software in Mac, do they really all work?

Mac over a PC is possible using a program called PearPC (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/), but it is quite processor intensive and installation does require that you have a "geek " gene :nut:

All the newer dual core macs can run Windows natively, BootCamp is a little piece of software that allows you to choose which OS you want to use at switch on.
A copy of Windows is not supplied with the new Mac however, you have to get hold of your own copy.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that in the Mac OS it is possible to switch between languages with a couple of mouse clicks, something Windows does not do, at least easily, Vista requires that you have the Ultimate edition and requires downloading language packs, not intuitive at all...

TD
17-09-2007, 14:03
About Windows software in Mac, do they really all work?

the program I have used and installed for quite a few people is called Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/)

it is installed on top of the Mac operating system, and creates a virtual environment for installing any version of Windows

once you boot up your copy of windows and go to full screen mode, you can't tell that you are still using a Mac - perfect integration

WilliamFTH
17-09-2007, 14:20
A friend bought an ACER notebook some weeks ago, and suddenly couldn't boot anymore. Blue screen... She asked my brother to fix the problem. The point is that ACER does not supply ANY disk with their notebooks! My brother needed 5 hours work to fix all, he had to download all the drivers (one by one!!!) from ACER website (They don't even supply a ZIP file!), and had to buy a NON-licensed Windows disk (Acer sold with an OEM licensed copy, no disk of course!).

Conclusion: Never buy ACER! ALL other brands supply a recovery CD with all what is necessary in case of trouble.
Tell me about it, I'm using a Acer now and it is really suck espeacially with F**king Vista, just so hate this piece of crap.

My old (3 years model T30) IBM with XP run 3 times faster..............

17-09-2007, 14:29
the program I have used and installed for quite a few people is called Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/)

it is installed on top of the Mac operating system, and creates a virtual environment for installing any version of Windows

once you boot up your copy of windows and go to full screen mode, you can't tell that you are still using a Mac - perfect integration

Thank you for the info.

But in fact, if it is to install Windows OS, which interest is there in buying a Mac??