PDA

View Full Version : International Phone Card

Missionary
26-11-2003, 06:30
I would like to ask you all for recommendations for a good international phone card, or inexpensive non phone card method, to call from the US to Moscow. I have found and used a few cards, but have had nothing but problems with most of them. Any suggestions that you could provide would be appreciated.

DPG
26-11-2003, 11:10
Check out the answers to the same subject posted a while ago:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3243

Whatever you do, don't buy 'compass' cards - I bought one the other day and the dial in number is a bloody fax...either a con or something is broken at their end (still!!!):(

vatalia
26-11-2003, 13:44
I recommend you go to the nearest Russian store in the city you live at and buy some card there - they ussualy have low rates

lochnessmonster
26-11-2003, 13:47
Now are you sure you read the instructions properly, DPG. It IS, after all, an international FAX card for sending cheap faxes abroad.

I am stuck on ARCTEL, not great, and for some reason ALWAYS engaged at 08:30 in the morning. But if you persevere, and get through, it works fine. I tend to do four or five numbers after each other, saves a lot of time redialling and waiting to connect...

enrico palazzo
26-11-2003, 13:53
use 10-10-220-011-7-095+xxx-xxxx....... it is three bucks for a twenty minute call, or get on their website www.1010220.com

DPG
26-11-2003, 13:57
Well, unless the meaning of the words 'телефонная карта' has changed since I learnt them, I'm sure I read the instructions correctly!!;)

Have you worked out how to get the balance on the Arktel cards?...I could never do it no matter what I tried.

lochnessmonster
26-11-2003, 14:30
DPG: Yes, make sure the pencil or pen is EXACTLY in the middle of the card and the card should balance perfectly!

Missionary, I just saw a couple of new cards at those orange kiosks that have sprouted up all along the centre of the city. not Matrix, Zebra or Arctel, but a couple of others that, AS USUAL, I saw and forget ten seconds later. If you walk by those kiosks, have a look and try a range.

By the way, can the Zebra card be used for BOTH internet AND long-distance dialling?

DPG
26-11-2003, 15:05
Apparently it can be used for both, I know someone who has used it for the net, but their feeling was that mtu provides better service.

lochnessmonster
26-11-2003, 15:55
so are you implying that the MTU thingie can be used for both internet AND log-distance dailup? Just a thought, since I seem to go through a ton of these cards every week, and it would be RATHER convenient to have one that does everything - including ironing my shirt for work

enrico palazzo
26-11-2003, 16:01
Guys, your posts are informative as well as entertaining, but please take a minute to read the original post. Missionary is looking to call TO Russia FROM the USA. Found another one, better deal. 10-10-987+011... 39 cents to connect and 13 cents per minute

lochnessmonster
26-11-2003, 16:06
By jove, enrico Palazzo, you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Missionary, I apologise, I didn't even think and just barged in with an answer that had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING.

DPG, go on, apologise, too, it's all your fault!

dacha_culture
26-11-2003, 16:12
For US to Moscow, about 6c/min try "global papa" at www.ldpost.com. Used it a while back - connection was not bad.

lochnessmonster
26-11-2003, 16:14
Last year I used America First. Cost me FIVE dollars and I used to phone me mates here almost every day on it. I thought it was pretty good value.

dacha_culture
26-11-2003, 16:18
The cheapest I've found to Moscow from the US was from the website: www.discall.com. The card is called: "Rublevskaya;" it was about 3 cents per minute. I didn't use the service very long and don't remember how good the connections were. Also, I think the card expires after a month or so.

DPG
26-11-2003, 16:39
Originally posted by lochnessmonster
By jove, enrico Palazzo, you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Missionary, I apologise, I didn't even think and just barged in with an answer that had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING.

DPG, go on, apologise, too, it's all your fault!

I apologise profusely, unreservedly, unmitigatedly and even irrevocably for my (and especially Lochnessmonster's) non reading of the original posting and the contents there-of, and distance myself (but not Lochnessmonster) wholly and irrefutably from any personal offense or anguish which may have been caused by our incorrect answering of the thread and the malice afore thought with which we posted our replies!!! :):):)

Seriously though, the mtu card can be used for both but I think that it has to be used exclusively for one (ie. phone OR net) purpose - so you'll need two cards anyway!

Missionary
26-11-2003, 22:16
No apologies necessary. Thank you all for the information. I am using a card right now that is $.032 per minute, which I think is a good rate. I have found rates as low as $.011 per minute. My main concern is quality, as I use this card to call my wife in Moscow everyday. With the card I use now, I have myriad quality problems. This seems to be the case for most of the cards I have tried. Does any one have any suggestions for the best quality connection? Thanks in advance.

vatalia
27-11-2003, 13:04
russian stores have cards and they ussualy about 5 cents/minute and the quality is pretty good. So try the Russian store