PDA

View Full Version : cold

sylvia24
30-10-2011, 18:35
its so cold in my school hostel but the heaters are on,what do i do???help!!!!!

FatAndy
30-10-2011, 19:28
Poor you, change the school...
If impossible check if windows's frames are OK. If the cold wind blows through, go to pharmacy and buy wide rolls of plaster (several pcs). Then stick it over the slots of window frame, leaving only "fortochka" for ventilation.

Benedikt
30-10-2011, 19:46
Poor you, change the school...
If impossible check if windows frames are OK. If the cold wind blows through, go to pharmacy and buy wide rolls of plaster (several pcs). Then stick it over the slots of window frame, leaving only "fortochka" for ventilation.

at any hardware or household store you can buy rolls of -paper scotch tape-, painters are using it to cover things when they ahve to paint..-malernaya skotch- will do the same.
and if you are streched even more for money, buy a roll of -kassa lenta- the rolls od paper that fit into the tills/cash amchine, wet the with water and soap, they will stick for the rest of the season to the window frame.

FatAndy
30-10-2011, 19:56
plaster from the chemist is to expensive - maybe, but it sticks stronger.

Victoria 55
30-10-2011, 20:04
I would advise the paper scotch tape,as others say. I used it, it's the best way to solve the problem.
How about to buy the heater? The wind heater model will quickly help you. Usually such buildings haven't a good heater,it's general problem in Moscow(

Judge
30-10-2011, 22:45
If you have old windows buy some foam and make strips from it,cover the cracks then put tape over the foam. If you just put tape it will peel off after a few days.Best do it right the first time so it will last all winter.

winner
30-10-2011, 23:47
1.the paper scotch tape.
2.to buy the heater.

I agree. Think about winter!

robertmf
31-10-2011, 00:37

What are you going to do in February ? :10168:

martpark
31-10-2011, 01:25
Cheap emergency tip.

Take the old plastic bags you kept from the supermarket. Get a dull knife from the kitchen. Push the bags into the window crack spaces with the knife blade. Repeat until all the window edges are filled. Enjoy five degrees more warmth than before.

robertmf
31-10-2011, 01:41
The Exhalted Dark Overlord Putin has decreed that "cold" will henceforth be known as "Russian warmth".

:cold: This is strange to me. Anytime in Russia Winter everything was triple glazed and sealed. VERY over hot.

Rhubard Geoff
31-10-2011, 08:48
I've had the windows open in my apartment the last month which would suggest you have a poor heating system.

sylvia24
31-10-2011, 13:38
my school's heating system is so bad,the windows are so old and heaters are not alowed so dat we dont set d hostel ablaze.......if u get caught with it,u,ll be sent straight home{nigeria 4 me}.will get the plaster and do smtin abt d window,i believe dat will help a bit.:agree:

xSnoofovich
31-10-2011, 14:01

Give me a call...... I can keep you warm :)

Dicorp
31-10-2011, 16:52
it's only gonna get colder.

like -30 cold. so get some warm clothes

FatAndy
01-11-2011, 02:06
Bro,
For personal apartments or money-making premises, like bars, hotels etc - yes. But the girl is living in university/institute/schhol hostel. These organizations are chronically under-financed, I suppose they can't allow themselves to change old cheap crooky wooden frames to plastic or composite ones with triple glass sheets...

:cold: This is strange to me. Anytime in Russia Winter everything was triple glazed and sealed. VERY over hot.

FatAndy
01-11-2011, 02:11
{nigeria 4 me}
Yes, a bit warmer that here. Though... Not a big issue - I remember - when I was student, guys from Africa who lived in our hostel too, they suffered from cold only during the very first winter, a year after they already played football outdoors at -20 C, and nobody was too surprised... ;)

Benedikt
01-11-2011, 06:55
1.the paper scotch tape.
2.to buy the heater.

I agree. Think about winter!

these places have old or weak wiring and most of them will not bear the electric load if others also have the same idea. you can read in the news about fires every year around this time, because of electric over load or short circuits. or maybe there are not enough [lugs, and people put to many appiances onto one plug, it over heats, and then starts to burn.