PDA

View Full Version : Biological clock watcher

DaveUKagain
24-11-2003, 21:46
Gooooooood evenin` folks - I think.........

At least I THINK it`s "good evening. " ;-))))) Could be any time at all. ;-)))))

Biological clocks and winter.....

Dunno about all of you folks, but when the time of year turns towards "Santa Claus" and "Snowman" ol` Dave here finds his biological clock starts to look like it`s manufactured by Mickey Mouse. I honestly don`t know whether it`s night or day. Fall asleep in the afternoon, wake up at all hours.....

Now, someone DID say to me "get a light box" - I just fell asleep in front of it. Perhaps I`ve been a hamster in some previous existence and I`m hibernating - no idea. But - along comes winter and Dave is thrown into unbridled confusion as to what the time of day is - even more so than usual. Anyone else in the "confused" club with me ? ;-)))))))

Donations for a ticket to somewhere nice on the Equator most gratefully accepted. Cuba`s great. ;-))))) I reckon if I smoke more cigars from there, all will be just fine. ;-))))))) Well - worth a try !!!! ;-)))))))

DaveUKagain
24-11-2003, 22:25
Hehee ! Sorry Sadie - I`m slipping. It`s old age. Lack of nicotene. And the biological clock. ;-)))))

Funny thing with me- no SAD - "seasonally acquired depression" - I remain the epitome of gerbil-faced cheeriness for some strange reason. At 3am. Thinking it`s 3pm.

Think I`ll try hibernation. ;-)))))))))

DPG
25-11-2003, 00:59
Sorry, can't hold myself back on this one...the fact that you are posting the above from lovely warm Manchester while those of us who are actually living here both leave and return to our flats (which don't have individual thermostats) in the dark, trudge through the snow on the way to and from the metro and occassionally skate and slide around like Torvill (or rather Dean in my case), is to be honest, really quite risible.

If you do indeed generally suffer from S.A.D then I at once sympathise, second the reccommendation of light or possibly some 5-htp or Sam-e and really wonder what on earth you would do (although I shouldn't think it will happen) if you had to spend an entire (i.e. Nov - April) winter in Russia!

The meaning of the word winter of course being rather a relative thing to us Brits, and I would say with this being my second one here, pretty much unknown to those abed in England who haven't been here for one.

Sorry about my mood - but be the lack of light and the cold! Grrrr!;)

Missionary
25-11-2003, 01:23
DaveUKagain,

Nicaragua is nice this time of year, and you can live like a king of the cheap, too.

DaveUKagain
25-11-2003, 04:09
Hehee ! Sorry DPG - no no, nothing to do with winter, but everything to do with the hours of daylight, and we`re on the same latitude, of course. The daylight disappears and my biological clock goes NUTS and I can`t tell what time of day it is - no SAD , just..... nuts. ;-))))) Nothing to do with temperature- just- hours of light and darkness. Same as in Moscow. ;-))))

Missionaries` right -I really should move to Nicaragua - I`d be back on the equator with a normal day night cycle, smoking myself to death...... ;-))))

geofizz56
25-11-2003, 13:22
Try melatonin capsules instead - cheaper, and better for your lungs.

And if you MUST head to the tropics, I'd vote for Salvador, Brazil or over Nicaragua. Maybe not as cheap, but a beautiful city with great beaches and parties.

Darn it, now I'm dreaming of South America, and what I NEED to be doing is getting back to work!

Stella
25-11-2003, 13:30
Dave, you are turning into a warywolf!

DaveUKagain
25-11-2003, 14:08
Hiya Geofizz ! ;-))))))

A good idea, but !!!!! Brazilian cigars are terrible, unfortunately, and having been in business with three lovely people from Brazil who tried ripping me off at every corner - heheee ! Cuba here I come. ;-))))))))))))

Werewolf, Stella ? Ooo, can`t be, I`m too well shaven. ;-)))) Incidentally, I got a shave at 4am this morning thinking it was at least the middle of the day. I think I need some kind of seratonin / nicotene drip to smooth everything out, y`know. ;-))))) It`s 11am at the moment and it feels like 8 at night..... aha, time for a cigar, then. ;-)))))))))))

tofu
25-11-2003, 15:08
Even if it was a typo, I like the idea of a warywolf - a sub-breed of the traditional were wolf.

The warywolf stalks the streets of Moscow which presents certain challenges - hence the wariness. This includes crossing innocent looking streets that are really camouflaged puddles waiting to soak unexpectant feet and pant hems. And if you avoid those, then it is the innocent looking ladas or volgas that unexpectedly speed up to ensure there is enough splash velocity for the puddles to reach you on the sidewalk. And if it is neither of those then it is the unexpected wet slops of snow coming down from the roof tops to make deposits much like pigeons do on the passerbys.

Oh the joys of modern street life - and the wary wolf doesn't like it - a successful wary wolf will avoid all these things and move to a South American Banana Republic.

DJ Biscuit
25-11-2003, 16:08
Dave, try drinking a lot in the evening and when you get a hangover you'll know it's morning. :)

Or try drinking a lot period and it wont matter what time of day it is. :D

geofizz56
25-11-2003, 17:14
I'd like to visit Cuba, but it's still off-limits to most Americans. I love the whole Caribbean basin - the Turks and Caicos are still largely unspoiled, and Aruba is nice except for the prices. Maybe I'll ask for Trinidad for my next posting and renew my scuba certification.

enrico palazzo
25-11-2003, 20:19
You can go to Cuba, just can't "spend money" there. Trick is to enter from Mexico,and NEVER tell anyone official (i.e. Immigration) where you went. The Cubans don't mind.

DaveUKagain
25-11-2003, 22:47
Apparently the Cuban stogies there are the same price as over here in the UK...... damn near. Interestingly enough, it`s reckoned that 90% of American cigar smokers have never smoked a real Cuban cigar..... they just THINK they have. ;-)))) (Mainly fakes..... )

Pleased to report that I fully intend to take up Dr DJ`s sterling idea about the internal application of alcohol to curtail my proto-somnambulistic idiosyncracies (say `wha ? ;-)))) ) - DJ, you`ll have to branch out into medicine. Gynaecology, perhaps ? ;-)))))

In the interim, Wolfman Dave (aoooow) better light up a small part of Nicaragua`s foliage. Hm. Wolfman. Moon. Apparently there was a solar eclipse in Antarctica yesterday. As scientists` watched agog (or even two-gog) at the temporary disappearance of the sun from the sky, countless thousands of penguins apparently all squawked in panic as darkness descended. Just shows THEY get whatever I get too at this time of year. Or perhaps they`d been on the Pernod ? Alas, the article wasn`t that specific..... ;-)))))

kniga
25-11-2003, 22:54
Dave,

Nah, I'll pass on this one...

DaveUKagain
25-11-2003, 22:56
:D

DaveUKagain
25-11-2003, 23:16
PS For educational purposes, I include a picture of this fascinating cosmological abberation below. ;-)

kniga
25-11-2003, 23:20
A black cat at midnight?

natalia_apple
26-11-2003, 00:18
...in a dark room

kniga
26-11-2003, 00:31
οΚ, Lioness! You are up prowling around late...like a black cat at midnight in a dark room?

DaveUKagain
26-11-2003, 01:20
....... with it`s eyes shut...... ;-))))

That`s "dark", is it ? I`m not too sure at the moment...... ;-)))

kniga
26-11-2003, 01:31
Dave,

The cosmological aberration you appended came out as a black square. Is this a little slice of the Far Cosmos you are sending us, or what?

DaveUKagain
26-11-2003, 01:54
That was the Eclipse at the South Pole, Kniga. I just could NOT for the life of me fit the penguins in as well....... ;-)))

Originally posted by kniga
Dave,

The cosmological aberration you appended came out as a black square. Is this a little slice of the Far Cosmos you are sending us, or what?

kniga
26-11-2003, 02:00
That was a groaner, Dave. I predict you will soon be heading out of town just ahead of an angry torch and tar bucket wielding crowd...

DaveUKagain
26-11-2003, 02:08
If only I can shake these chicken feathers off me, Kniga. ;-)))))))

kniga
26-11-2003, 02:25
With bad puns like you make, you'll need to run faster, Dave!

enrico palazzo
26-11-2003, 09:04
less than a month til the winter solstice. then think of it this way, after Dec. 21, all the days get l-o-n-g-e-r. :)

kniga
26-11-2003, 09:46
Enrico,

Are you really in Seoul? The winters there are brutal, too.

geneven
26-11-2003, 10:14
There's a lot of recent info on travel to cuba here:

http://query.nytimes.com/search/article-page.html?res=9D00E2D91438F937A25752C1A9659C8B63

kniga
26-11-2003, 10:19
Well, it sure beats Seoul in the winter!

sally
29-11-2003, 19:02
when I saw this thread, I thought DaveUKagain was going to own up to an irrepressible urge to have a baby....

phew!

kniga
29-11-2003, 19:51
Sally,

He does have an irrepressible urge to have a baby -- it's the cooperation in the project he lacks. :-)

DaveUKagain
29-11-2003, 20:43
He`s right- "Doing quite well on your own" doesn`t count in "making baby" stakes.

That`s "making baby stakes" and not "making baby steaks", by the way - different concept. ;-)))))

Actually, Dave here decided earlier this year that he`s waaaaay too old for fatherhood. Oh good lord above, definitely not. As the old hack has it -

"Go on, have a baby
If you really must
Babies are better than rabies
But really, only just"

The defence rests, m`lud. ;-)))))

kniga
29-11-2003, 23:47
Dave, you're never too old to have a baby until the well runs dry. It's your partner you have to think about...