PDA

View Full Version : Your first day in Russia.

winner
24-10-2011, 22:46
Do you remember your first day in Russia?

mikegulf
25-10-2011, 00:47
Yes, I had terrible jet-lag, tried to sleep, got up, had big welcome home party, got drunk, passed out and the next morning everything was fine!!!!

TolkoRaz
25-10-2011, 03:48
Yep, arrived at SVO-1 in all that I was wearing - a baggage handler had decided to relieve me of my suitcase and all its contents! :eek:

Fortunately it was the Summer, so I did not freeze to death! ;)

NotMe
25-10-2011, 08:56
I was surprised that people around donít smile, the drivers donít slow down on the pedestrian crossing and a man I smiled in SVO-2 just because I was in a good mood, was absolutely sure, that I was eager to become his mistress. :D

BrandonL
25-10-2011, 09:03
Yeah, arrived after almost 24 hours of flights and layover times.

Arrived at 6am, they lost my luggage, I was stuck at the airport for 5 hours, waiting for my job to open. then slept the entire day)

Benedikt
25-10-2011, 09:54

where at time anti american feelings were high, bombs were going off near and around the airport (our hotelschool were i was working was -across-
from the airport)
and the first day the boss took me to see the Red Square.and i thought,that is all, it is so small!!! I did now know that they took pictures always with special lenses to make it look bigger and the like.
then we went to the Ukraina Hotel to change some $$ into Rubles, what a procedure..Then in the evening we ent to buy liqueur for the restaurant, no delivery at that time. And there the price was in -golden rubles- confusing to say the least.
But soon i got used to all,being a Chef i did not have to worry about food and the sort and i stayes at the ship, so no problems either with an apartement, laundry and the sort.

Reyflor
25-10-2011, 11:06
:cold:

Freezing! it was last january!

Parco
25-10-2011, 11:17
Yep, I remember getting a gypsy taxi from SVO (Sept 2000) and first thing I ordered was a double vodka and coke at the bar (whilst waiting for my room to be prepared) at the Intourist hotel.

I understood from the pint-sized glass the barman filled with vodka that Russia has large measures when it comes to spirits. To soak up the alcohol, I had a pizza next door in what I now think is La Kantina!? Old timers may correct me on this.

winner
25-10-2011, 19:34
Every post is super. Thank you very much!!!

NotMe
25-10-2011, 20:56
Every post is super. Thank you very much!!!

That's because your thread and new avatar is super (i believe) and so each of us tried to be up to standards :)

winner
25-10-2011, 21:04
:)
That's because your thread and new avatar is super (i believe) and so each of us tried to be up to standards :)

Hans.KK
26-10-2011, 02:22
Do you remember your first day in Russia?YES, the 13 of december 1992, cold and dark.
We had to wait a long time to get off our ship i St. Petersburg, waiting outside on the ship, it was -20C.
"Ivan" was taken good care of us all with his AK47 when we finally manage to get permission to leave the ship, welcome to Russia !
December = christmas, no, not in Russia, not even light at the street, well more than half of the streetlight was out, the same with cars, allmost all without light, even at nighttime.

But it has gone in the right direction since then.

ZippyCrx
27-10-2011, 12:53
-25C? Damn right I remember my first day. It was the first day I'd ever felt so cold, and the first day I decided that driving in Moscow was an extreme sport because the lines on the roads were painted for decoration, rather than to actually be obeyed. Or maybe that's just in winter?

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 13:12
I first arrived in Russia in early May 1997, to visit my girlfriend (now wife).
When I arrived in Sheremetevo (which in those days was a very dark and unpleasant airport), I had no problems passing passport control.
My girlfriend and her father were supposed to meet me at the airport.
Once I got out of the airport she was not there.
I have to admit that it crossed my mind that I would have to return home.
This was in the pre-mobile phone period, so I could not call her. I could not speak any Russian either, so no one I could ask for help.
Luckily there were two chaps from East Germany (Hurray for the DDR !!!), to whom I could communicate in German. They had learned some basic Russian at school. They agreed to wait with me for one hour, and then they would help me further.
After 30 minutes my girlfriend arrived, all in tears.
Her father`s old Lada had broken down and he needed to fix it.

natlee
27-10-2011, 13:30
I first arrived in Russia in early May 1997, to visit my girlfriend (now wife). Hmmmm... punishment huh ;)

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 13:34
Hmmmm... punishment huh ;)

Girls always feel sorry for me when I tell them I was sent to Moscow as punishment :11088:

On the other hand... does being married to a Russian girl not qualify as punishment? And that one is `for life`.

natlee
27-10-2011, 13:37
Girls always feel sorry for me when I tell them I was sent to Moscow as punishment :11088:

On the other hand... does being married to a Russian girl not qualify as punishment? And that one is `for life`. lol and um not necessarily (but don't listen to me ;) )

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 13:44
lol and um not necessarily (but don't listen to me ;) )

When people ask me how long I have been married already, I always reply : 26 years.
Surprised, they then say : but you`re only 38 ??
I know, but from 1998, I can count all years double. This is the hardship factor.

natlee
27-10-2011, 13:49
When people ask me how long I have been married already, I always reply : 26 years.
Surprised, they then say : but you`re only 38 ??
I know, but from 1998, I can count all years double. This is the hardship factor. Hahahaha! Ah c'mon, I'm sure there's love there somewhere :)

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 13:55
Hahahaha! Ah c'mon, I'm sure there's love there somewhere :)

Of course, I am happily married.
Or rather, she is happy and I am married.

natlee
27-10-2011, 14:04
Of course, I am happily married.
Or rather, she is happy and I am married. LOL! You're horrible :D

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 14:26
LOL! You're horrible :D

Last month I had to take a group of customers to our factory. 15 men and 1 young girl aged 25. The girl was extremely beautiful. About 1m75 high, long legs and a great figure. On top of that she had a great hair-do and she was dressed very stylish.
When the workers in the factory approached, I told them all to back off, because `the chick was mine`. (In my native language of course, so that she would not understand.)
Anyway, upon my return to Moscow I told my wife that there was such a very beautiful girl.
She asked me : `and what ?`
I said : `Nothing of course. I am married.`

Turns out that this is the wrong answer !!!

She said :`of, so if you were not married, you would try something ?`

Correct answer would have been :`Of course not. I love you!`

See, a person is never too old to learn.

Parco
27-10-2011, 14:30
I'm not married :mml:

natlee
27-10-2011, 14:32

What HAVE you learned in the past 26 years!!!! :rofl:

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 14:34
I'm not married :mml:

You lucky little bstrd

Life of Brian. You lucky bastard. - YouTube

NotMe
27-10-2011, 20:01
Last month I had to take a group of customers to our factory. 15 men and 1 young girl aged 25. The girl was extremely beautiful. About 1m75 high, long legs and a great figure. On top of that she had a great hair-do and she was dressed very stylish.
When the workers in the factory approached, I told them all to back off, because `the chick was mine`. (In my native language of course, so that she would not understand.)
Anyway, upon my return to Moscow I told my wife that there was such a very beautiful girl.
She asked me : `and what ?`

See, a person is never too old to learn.

You didn't mention that tonic accent should be on the last word, thus: "Of course not. I love YOU!" :p

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 20:02
You didn't mention that tonic accent should be on the last word, thus: "Of course not. I love YOU!" :p

So you have been in the same situation?

natlee
27-10-2011, 20:03
So you have been in the same situation? We've ALL been in the same situation!!!

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 20:05
We've ALL been in the same situation!!!

You mean ALL, like in the sisterhood of women in a relationship?

natlee
27-10-2011, 20:07
You mean ALL, like in the sisterhood of women in a relationship? More like the brotherhood of humanity (in relationships) :D

NotMe
27-10-2011, 20:25
So you have been in the same situation?

Sure, a lot of times! :p

Who wasn't? ;)

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 20:29
Sure, a lot of times! :p

Who wasn't? ;)

Happens to women only I think.
Men are probably not refined enough to notice.

natlee
27-10-2011, 20:36
Happens to women only I think.
Men are probably not refined enough to notice. We aren't talking about men getting upset at your kind of answer from a wife/gf, we're talking men being in your shoes and women being in your wife's happens to everyone :)

SV1973a
27-10-2011, 20:39
We aren't talking about men getting upset at your kind of answer from a wife/gf, we're talking men being in your shoes and women being in your wife's happens to everyone :)

Now that I can fully understand.:iagree:

natlee
27-10-2011, 20:41
Now that I can fully understand.:iagree: Cause men and women DO speak the same language @ times :D

winner
29-10-2011, 00:13
Does anybody else remember her (his) first day in Russia?
Please, please tell!

martpark
29-10-2011, 00:51
Very early on a Sunday morning I was arriving and asked the school to order a taxi to pick me up. They met me personally in the school van, which was in the Japanese style with the driver on the right, though, the crack across the front glass was in the NYC style. It was raining and overcast and I hadn't slept but it was a big deal entering Moscow from Domodedovo and I remember lots of white prefab buildings on the way in and some F1 drivers speeding past.

I asked them at the airport to exchange money but they said you can do it in the centre, which surprised me on Sunday morning. Got to the block of flats and saw all the mini tin garages, which were new to me. Then they showed me the flat, described the intricacies of the home phone, gave me the keys and boogied.

It was then I remembered I had no Rus. money and no idea how to get something to eat. So I sat down and watched Soviet kids programs, even though I felt zombie-like from lack of sleep. They mercifully called and told me the directions to the supermarket/bank.

I changed money tentatively and then wandered into the connecting supermarket. The first thing I saw was an empty meat counter and I thought there must be shortages...didn't occur to me that it was Sunday morning and maybe it hadn't been put out yet. I wandered around bemused and chose some soft packet that had vegetables on it and was convinced it was soup of some kind. Then grabbed something that looked like margarine and then some shampoo like substance and other tidbits.

It turned out that the veg soup was mayonnaise, the margarine was creamy cheese and the shampoo was conditioner. A valuable lesson in paying attention was learnt. After I got a simcard and was ready to conquer Moscow all in my first morning.

natlee
29-10-2011, 00:58
It turned out that the veg soup was mayonnaise, the margarine was creamy cheese and the shampoo was conditioner. :D :D :D cool story!

winner
29-10-2011, 01:13
Very early on a Sunday morning I was arriving and asked the school to order a taxi to pick me up. They met me personally in the school van, which was in the Japanese style with the driver on the right, though, the crack across the front glass was in the NYC style. It was raining and overcast and I hadn't slept but it was a big deal entering Moscow from Domodedovo and I remember lots of white prefab buildings on the way in and some F1 drivers speeding past.

I asked them at the airport to exchange money but they said you can do it in the centre, which surprised me on Sunday morning. Got to the block of flats and saw all the mini tin garages, which were new to me. Then they showed me the flat, described the intricacies of the home phone, gave me the keys and boogied.

It was then I remembered I had no Rus. money and no idea how to get something to eat. So I sat down and watched Soviet kids programs, even though I felt zombie-like from lack of sleep. They mercifully called and told me the directions to the supermarket/bank.

I changed money tentatively and then wandered into the connecting supermarket. The first thing I saw was an empty meat counter and I thought there must be shortages...didn't occur to me that it was Sunday morning and maybe it hadn't been put out yet. I wandered around bemused and chose some soft packet that had vegetables on it and was convinced it was soup of some kind. Then grabbed something that looked like margarine and then some shampoo like substance and other tidbits.

It turned out that the veg soup was mayonnaise, the margarine was creamy cheese and the shampoo was conditioner. A valuable lesson in paying attention was learnt. After I got a simcard and was ready to conquer Moscow all in my first morning.

:Loco::10806: super story!

TolkoRaz
29-10-2011, 04:56
Cause men and women DO speak the same language @ times :D

Only whilst asleep! :snoring:

winner
29-11-2011, 02:12
So cool stories!
Please, please tell!

robertmf
29-11-2011, 02:30
So cool stories!
Please, please tell!

My first day was Platskartny class on a train crossing over Polish border.