PDA

View Full Version : What you don't like in Moscow?

winner
21-10-2011, 22:46
What you don't like in Moscow?

inorcist
22-10-2011, 17:07
People here don't know how to walk and how to build infrustructure in a way to avoid human traffic jam. People stop randomly in small corridors, people cross from left to right without considering the ways of others, people don't manage to walk at a consistent speed. And if you look at metro stations, trains stations airports, all public areas, office buildings ... there's almost never any kind of dividers that would make people intuitively walk certain directions to avoid congestions.

I was living in Hong Kong for a while which has a way higher population density and never really had this issue.

Benedikt
22-10-2011, 17:49
-Russians- who think 30 minutes late is punctual-
when you are pumped off a meeting, without a call, because someone or something more important came up, never mind, YOUR meeting was confirmed weeks ago.
the cheap excuse -this is Russia- instead of pulling the socks up and DO something about it.
motorists that stop in third line, so the bus or trolley can not pass.
motorists who stop on the tramlines, so the tram also has to stop.
motorists that drive into an intersection, even when they see that they will block it, because there is no way to get over it while the traffic light is green.
the yo yo's with the blue lights on the roof of their cars. they think they have the right of the road, don't need to stop on a red traffic light, can drive against the one way and still get away *(less and less though) with everything.
youngsters are sitting, pretending to sleep, in the public transport and not giving place to older people, pregnant women and so forth.
indifferent sales people, service staff, who carry on chatting amongst themselves instead attending to clients/guests/customers.
the burocrats, but for that the space here on the site is not enough...

and i am here alread over 20 years...:jester:

vovik01
22-10-2011, 18:07
"-xxxxxxxxx- who think 30 minutes late is punctual-
when you are pumped off a meeting, without a call, because someone or something more important came up, never mind, YOUR meeting was confirmed weeks ago.
the cheap excuse -this is Xxxxxxx- instead of pulling the socks up and DO something about it."

This is about Florida? :-)))

and i am here (in US) over 20 years...:-)))))))))))))))))))

Rhubard Geoff
22-10-2011, 18:34
People here don't know how to walk and how to build infrustructure in a way to avoid human traffic jam. People stop randomly in small corridors, people cross from left to right without considering the ways of others, people don't manage to walk at a consistent speed. And if you look at metro stations, trains stations airports, all public areas, office buildings ... there's almost never any kind of dividers that would make people intuitively walk certain directions to avoid congestions.

I was living in Hong Kong for a while which has a way higher population density and never really had this issue.

And I thought it was just me.

No sense of spatial awareness, in cars or on foot.

winner
22-10-2011, 20:20
Too many Russians. :rofl:
I think in 5-10 years it won't be a problem...

robertmf
22-10-2011, 22:05
Too many Russians. :rofl:

:badclown: We use to say the same thing - only about the Turks on the Black sea coast, across the way from the Crimea.

:545:

Swordfish90293
23-10-2011, 03:49
The fact that one can buy only toilet paper embossed with puppies but not kitties...

yakspeare
23-10-2011, 07:40
Russian men stealing all the hot local women...it just isn't right.

L'oiseau bleu
23-10-2011, 10:37
Russian men stealing all the hot local women...it just isn't right.

Looks like they have this knowledge embedded in their blood:)

BabyFirefly
23-10-2011, 15:12
The excessive smoking and thus spitting on sidewalks.
How clothes are stupidly expensive.

FatAndy
23-10-2011, 16:21
They're smartly expensive - people will always buy them, because of higher incomes here ;)
If you want to buy cheap clothes - welcome to Habarovsk and Blagoveschensk, a lot of cheap goods from China (even brand-labelled ;)) there...

BabyFirefly
23-10-2011, 20:02
I don't mind paying good money for good quality clothing... but here I've seen a lot of terrible quality clothing that's just too expensive. But I'm a woman and clothes for women is always more expensive regardless of quality...

Carl
23-10-2011, 22:11

The Herd mentality..

mrzuzzo
24-10-2011, 01:39
All the expats who come here and think they're better than everyone else and know what's better for everyone here. They criticize this county yet don't go back home.

L'oiseau bleu
24-10-2011, 10:48
All the expats who come here and think they're better than everyone else and know what's better for everyone here. They criticize this county yet don't go back home.

This is what I also cannot get. I wouldn't respect myself being around "sheeps" or idiots. What s the point? You are so in need for Russian money? Or may be because you are not successful in your own country?
Why to live in country when u do not like neither people, nor culture, nor values?
leaders...new synonim for swaggers?

mds45
24-10-2011, 11:05
I hate the spitting !!!! Hate it !!!

Swordfish90293
24-10-2011, 11:48
The Herd mentality..

The concept of the "Collective" vs. the "Individual" has many advantages. A different way of being not fully understood isn't reason to scoff...

Swordfish90293
24-10-2011, 11:49
I hate the spitting !!!! Hate it !!!

China has made great strides in anti-spitting campaigns...

Parco
24-10-2011, 12:12

The airport departure lounge (any) ...as it means I am leaving Moscow.

L'oiseau bleu
24-10-2011, 12:17
It's more entertaining than watching television.

Ha! BS! this is not the real reason. Real reason is that being in another country gives you illusion that you also live and exist. U do not have this feeling at home. And when you have problems here you always know whom to blame.

FatAndy
24-10-2011, 12:24
here I've seen a lot of terrible quality clothing that's just too expensive.
...and you was forced to buy them? 8(((
Don't forget old Russian proverb - there are two fools on the market, one sells, second buys. ;)

mrzuzzo
24-10-2011, 13:01
Pot or kettle?

What are you trying to say bud? I actually love Moscow and Russia.. If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be here!

Why do people like you even come here? So you can complain? Does it make you feel better than everyone else? Maybe complaining gives you something to do because otherwise your life would be dull and empty?

Carl
24-10-2011, 14:30
The concept of the "Collective" vs. the "Individual" has many advantages. A different way of being not fully understood isn't reason to scoff...

I've lived here since 93'...I understand perfectly. ..And BTW..who's scoffing?? The question was, 'what don't you like about Moscow?'....and I stated one of my reasons. Just as I would have stated reason if the question was regarding the USA or any other country.. The question itself, entirely by it's nature will produce a negative response.... no?
But keep preachin' anyways...it makes for entertaining reading))

L'oiseau bleu
24-10-2011, 14:38
It makes me awesome. Duh.

what a wise answer! Master, do u accept students?:)

Carl
24-10-2011, 14:42
You are so in need for Russian money? Or may be because you are not successful in your own country?

Now I hate to point out the obvious..... but if one cannot be successful in their home country..but can be successful in Russia..Well, that's gotta hurt the ol' ego a bit(I mean yours..not the loser that can't make it at home). No?
I mean, if all the losers that can't make it in their homelands are making bank in Russia.... it must mean they bring some value..right?
Again, not to point out the obvious..but to pay someone that brings no value is just plain stupid. Just my 2 cents...

robertmf
24-10-2011, 14:47
Pot or kettle?

:question: More like, "The pot can't call the kettle black" :question:

robertmf
24-10-2011, 14:51
Ha! BS! this is not the real reason. Real reason is that being in another country gives you illusion that you also live and exist. U do not have this feeling at home. And when you have problems here you always know whom to blame.

:12035: There is also, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

L'oiseau bleu
24-10-2011, 14:53
Now I hate to point out the obvious..... but if one cannot be successful in their home country..but can be successful in Russia..Well, that's gotta hurt the ol' ego a bit(I mean yours..not the loser that can't make it at home). No?
I mean, if all the losers that can't make it in their homelands are making bank in Russia.... it must mean they bring some value..right?
Again, not to point out the obvious..but to pay someone that brings no value is just plain stupid. Just my 2 cents...

:) if money would go only to decent and smart people we would be in paradise:) there are very different from what u described reasons why foreigners got access to Russian business on favourable conditions. and unfortunately for both of us it has a little ot do with knowledges and experience. You are just small particles of big politics;) and we are as well of course.

Carl
24-10-2011, 15:06
:) if money would go only to decent and smart people we would be in paradise:) there are very different from what u described reasons why foreigners got access to Russian business on favourable conditions. and unfortunately for both of us it has a little ot do with knowledges and experience. You are just small particles of big politics;) and we are as well of course.

Then I will take great comfort in knowing that I have been successful here purely on the basis of my unique knowledge and skills set..:D :12035:
No politics for me..))

mds45
24-10-2011, 15:48
China has made great strides in anti-spitting campaigns...

China here I come ))))

RUDZITIS1976
24-10-2011, 15:56
What I don't like in Moscow? TRAFFIC JAMS!!!!

kassandra
24-10-2011, 16:11
Men rule. :12115:

Men pay if they want to rule :)

robertmf
24-10-2011, 21:41

:11629:

winner
24-10-2011, 22:36

A lot of moscovites prefer to buy clothes abroad.

Victoria 55
25-10-2011, 02:27
That's true)

TolkoRaz
25-10-2011, 03:41

Milan in particular :10310:

Swordfish90293
25-10-2011, 08:35

This is the easy way out...real men take it...

Swordfish90293
25-10-2011, 08:39
I've lived here since 93'...I understand perfectly. ..And BTW..who's scoffing?? The question was, 'what don't you like about Moscow?'....and I stated one of my reasons. Just as I would have stated reason if the question was regarding the USA or any other country.. The question itself, entirely by it's nature will produce a negative response.... no?
But keep preachin' anyways...it makes for entertaining reading))

No need to become defensive...apologies if I pressed a button...

Carl
25-10-2011, 08:51
No need to become defensive...apologies if I pressed a button...

No buttons pressed, no apologies needed:)

NLD
25-10-2011, 19:04
So, to come back to the topic: I completely agree with the spatial awareness thing. People have either no clue they're completely in the way (be it in the supermarket, on the street, in the corridor at work), but what I think is more likely, they just don't care and thus don't think about it.

I think that's really the main thing I don't like about Moscow, this complete and utter apathy to anything that doesn't directly touch them (like friends and family). It's understandable to a certain extent, but still, it's sad...

Tony P
25-10-2011, 20:16
what I think is more likely, they just don't care and thus don't think about it.
I think that's really the main thing I don't like about Moscow, this complete and utter apathy to anything that doesn't directly touch them (like friends and family).

I agree, but think it is a little deeper than not caring or apathy.

City dwelling anywhere is always a pressurised existance which reduces interpersonal reaction and increases personal competitiveness among unknowns, shielded my anonymity.
For country people natural human competitiveness is directed towards survival against the outside, nature and natural forces. This needs co-operation - hence people appearing more considerate, welcoming and hospitable the more remote they are.

However here it is in a class apart.

Sure, Moscow Russians have no consideration for others they do not know, apart from having to show they are in some way superior to the next person.

It is so deep now, it has descended into the sub-concsious and their 'natural' way of behaving. This manifests itself as all forms of bullying behaviour which they will unconciously use up to their limit to demonstrate their own superiority or strength and then accept meekly when the bigger cat bullies them.

Simple examples-
Loud mobile phone conversations - walking straight through you - never holding a swinging door - filling gaps in queues if you don't keep up, etc are the start point. In a car it gets to the point they will instinctively push forward to occupy space and gain the front position even if ultimately it delays everyone, including themselves. The brain is switched off to that.

Driving particularly is interesting and appears to prove my point. Following on from the above example, they allow and never object to the other driver who has gone to greater lengths to do the same - like driving on rough road edges or pavements and then cutting in. You very seldom hear horns, or see head light flashing, in annoyance.

It's all very much the same Russian trait that shows in International politics.

Carl
25-10-2011, 20:46

City dwelling anywhere is always a pressurised existance which reduces interpersonal reaction and increases personal competitiveness among unknowns, shielded my anonymity.
For country people natural human competitiveness is directed towards survival against the outside, nature and natural forces. This needs co-operation - hence people appearing more considerate, welcoming and hospitable the more remote they are.

However here it is in a class apart.

Sure, Moscow Russians have no consideration for others they do not know, apart from having to show they are in some way superior to the next person.

It is so deep now, it has descended into the sub-concsious and their 'natural' way of behaving. This manifests itself as all forms of bullying behaviour which they will unconciously use up to their limit to demonstrate their own superiority or strength and then accept meekly when the bigger cat bullies them.

Simple examples-
Loud mobile phone conversations - walking straight through you - never holding a swinging door - filling gaps in queues if you don't keep up, etc are the start point. In a car it gets to the point they will instinctively push forward to occupy space and gain the front position even if ultimately it delays everyone, including themselves. The brain is switched off to that.

Driving particularly is interesting and appears to prove my point. Following on from the above example, they allow and never object to the other driver who has gone to greater lengths to do the same - like driving on rough road edges or pavements and then cutting in. You very seldom hear horns, or see head light flashing, in annoyance.

It's all very much the same Russian trait that shows in International politics.

Yup... you pretty much nailed it.:11629:

Swordfish90293
25-10-2011, 22:01

I disagree that this behavior spawns from the urban environment. New York City is an example of broiling human and social interaction of a most civilized kind. It can eat the weak, but also cares for them. People are affable and giving while being in the most competitive environment on Earth...

Victoria 55
25-10-2011, 22:02
walking straight through you- ((( that's about Italians(some old people on the beach)

FatAndy
25-10-2011, 22:05
New York City is an example of broiling human and social interaction of a most civilized kind. It can eat the weak, but also cares for them. People are affable and giving while being in the most competitive environment on Earth...

Is JFK airport a part of the NYC in this sense?:suspect:

SV1973a
25-10-2011, 23:08
Yup... you pretty much nailed it.:11629:

Correct, and I incorporated these traits in my behaviour in Russia.

Tony P
25-10-2011, 23:17
I disagree that this behavior spawns from the urban environment. New York City is an example of broiling human and social interaction of a most civilized kind. It can eat the weak, but also cares for them. People are affable and giving while being in the most competitive environment on Earth...

I have ridden by moto all across Russia. The Caucuses, Caspian, previously unridden romote areas including along the Altai/Tuva Mongolian border, northern Yakutia to the Polar Circle, the Pacific Ocean in Magadan, Vanino and Vlad, coming back by other unridden routes. There were some exceedingly remote areas. Once we went 3 days without seeing another human. But when we did the level of friendship, interest and assistance was amazing.

It regularly brought tears to my eyes that those with so little could give so much.

Agreed NYC (really Manhattan) mostly works on a humanitarian level and people communicate and consider each other more freely, albeit as well meaning and comprised of transient superficiality as the Irish hospitality (which I have always also frequently thoroughly enjoyed).

But see my sentence following the bit you quoted, "However here it is a class apart"

As most capital or major city is different from their country, Moscow is different from Russia. Here the difference is extreme. Bewilderingly extreme.

You just have to look at road behaviour as you go south or east. After 2 hours driving it is far less 'agressive' and pushy. After a day it is a relaxed pleasure to drive again. After a week or two it reverts to conditions and courtesy that disappeared even from UK some 30-40 years ago. Apart that is except for the odd large black 4x4 with a Moscow registration – showing his superiority!

So what makes here so different? I still think it is pressurised living PLUS something grown within the traditionally oppressed Russian psyche. Put these two together and we have the social chaos we all see daily all around.

This is from all levels of life from Government, Road Police, drivers of large cars, overweight men pushing through doors, private security and parking personnel, babushki in Post Offices. And so on down. They all like to flaunt their level of power to the limit, but are totally out of their environment when questioned or challenged.

Yes - tell me I am wrong by all means, but then please tell your alternative view of what brings about what we are discussing.

Carl
25-10-2011, 23:54
Correct, and I incorporated these traits in my behaviour in Russia.

Yeah... we get it. You've turned into a self-centered, rude and inconsiderate boor ...in just 3 years time. The astonishing thing is that you seem somewhat proud of this fact.

Swordfish90293
26-10-2011, 00:06
I have ridden by moto all across Russia. The Caucuses, Caspian, previously unridden romote areas including along the Altai/Tuva Mongolian border, northern Yakutia to the Polar Circle, the Pacific Ocean in Magadan, Vanino and Vlad, coming back by other unridden routes. There were some exceedingly remote areas. Once we went 3 days without seeing another human. But when we did the level of friendship, interest and assistance was amazing.

It regularly brought tears to my eyes that those with so little could give so much.

Agreed NYC (really Manhattan) mostly works on a humanitarian level and people communicate and consider each other more freely, albeit as well meaning and comprised of transient superficiality as the Irish hospitality (which I have always also frequently thoroughly enjoyed).

But see my sentence following the bit you quoted, "However here it is a class apart"

As most capital or major city is different from their country, Moscow is different from Russia. Here the difference is extreme. Bewilderingly extreme.

You just have to look at road behaviour as you go south or east. After 2 hours driving it is far less 'agressive' and pushy. After a day it is a relaxed pleasure to drive again. After a week or two it reverts to conditions and courtesy that disappeared even from UK some 30-40 years ago. Apart that is except for the odd large black 4x4 with a Moscow registration – showing his superiority!

So what makes here so different? I still think it is pressurised living PLUS something grown within the traditionally oppressed Russian psyche. Put these two together and we have the social chaos we all see daily all around.

This is from all levels of life from Government, Road Police, drivers of large cars, overweight men pushing through doors, private security and parking personnel, babushki in Post Offices. And so on down. They all like to flaunt their level of power to the limit, but are totally out of their environment when questioned or challenged.

Yes - tell me I am wrong by all means, but then please tell your alternative view of what brings about what we are discussing.

Agreed...people outside most major cities seem less stressed therefore more friendly and open save the Deliverance crowd. And this varies in degrees by country. The French had a bad rap which was, I think, unfounded, as once you leave Paris people seem tamer.

I just returned from New York and Moscow isn't so big and crowded by comparison. Yet there's day and night more humanity as you put it.

Here, though, you're right. there's a level of hyper aggression among some people unparalleled by anywhere else I've been. But if it ain't like this in New York or London, it must be due to something else...the water? The vodka? Years of oppression by the Tatars? Years of having nothing to the point where aggressive behavior was what kept one alive and was then ingrained genetically along some bloodlines?

I think this behavior thrived in the closed Soviet vacuum for that duration to a point it grew and became part of the national character for many. It was likely also fanned by the brutality of he Nazi's.

Raymond Virgill
26-10-2011, 13:21
I dont like the fact that people dont smile or say hello......I dont like when people look me up and down and form a judgement about who I am ,as if what I wore could tell you who I was.....lets face it ,if you are riding the metro with me it almost certain that you are not rich....so why look down on people?

ZippyCrx
27-10-2011, 12:56
The old people begging in the streets. It makes me feel so sad for them that they are forced to go in to the streets because their government paid pensions are terrible.

Droidage
27-10-2011, 13:14
Spot on.

Dicorp
29-10-2011, 12:42

this.

i can't count how many times a day someone would just stop infront of you, causing you to bump into them or bump into you for no reason, even if there is space to avoid a shoulder check.

at least i'm 2 meters tall and 100 kilos. It usually feels worse for them.

L'oiseau bleu
29-10-2011, 12:50
Do u know how to recognize native Moscovit girl? In a terrible crowd in metro she can run texting her SMS without touching any single person:)

LondonYvonne
29-10-2011, 13:45
I'm in London, but what I have noticed with Russian people is that they say they will do something, and then don't, and the most irritating part is that they don't let you know they are not going to do it

winner
29-10-2011, 14:14
I'm in London, but what I have noticed with Russian people is that they say they will do something, and then don't, and the most irritating part is that they don't let you know they are not going to do it
I want to say it's not exactly Russian people character! I know a lot of foreigners ( by the way, from this site...) who do this way! Yes, some Russian people are irresponsible, rude, stupid, lazy (add what you like) BUT!!!
There are the same ammount of irresponsible, rude, stupid, lazy (add what you like) people of other natinalities!!!
And you can find responsible, witty, smart, courteous (add what you like)Russian people like of other natinalities.

LondonYvonne
29-10-2011, 14:45
I want to say it's not exactly Russian people character! I know a lot of foreigners ( by the way, from this site...) who do this way! Yes, some Russian people are irresponsible, rude, stupid, lazy (add what you like) BUT!!!
There are the same ammount of irresponsible, rude, stupid, lazy (add what you like) people of other natinalities!!!
And you can find responsible, witty, smart, courteous (add what you like)Russian people like of other natinalities.
Yes, that's true, it depends on the person not the nationality.....may be I've just been unlucky so far

Carl
29-10-2011, 16:40
like to think they are more important than everyone else and hence, shouldn't have to.

...a whole butt-load of people like that here!! I've really never seen a place packed with so many people tied up in their own self-importance.
It's absurd:groan:

Judge
29-10-2011, 16:55
...a whole butt-load of people like that here!! I've really never seen a place packed with so many people tied up in their own self-importance.
It's absurd:groan:

8 years here and I haven't really met many people like you mentioned(can't think of one Russian to be honest who is ''tied up in their own self-importance'')..Most people I know here are very down to earth and easy to get on with..
Maybe it's just me, I don't hang around with such people so I don't see this in people here.

Carl
29-10-2011, 17:05
8 years here and I haven't really met many people like you mentioned(can't think of one Russian to be honest who is ''tied up in their own self-importance'')..Most people I know here are very down to earth and easy to get on with..
Maybe it's just me, I don't hang around with such people.

I guess we deal with a different type of people on a daily basis.. Lucky You!

Carl
29-10-2011, 17:07
(can't think of one Russian to be honest who is ''tied up in their own self-importance''

...or maybe you just live in a cave?

Carl
29-10-2011, 17:09
(can't think of one Russian to be honest who is ''tied up in their own self-importance''

..and where did I say 'Russian' in my post??

Judge
29-10-2011, 17:11
I guess we deal with a different type of people on a daily basis.. Lucky You!

I guess so.

Judge
29-10-2011, 17:14
..and where did I say 'Russian' in my post??

Drtnsnw was on about Moscowvites so I just thought your reply to him was about Moscowvites/Russians.... if not Russians then who are you on about?
Maybe expats that live here?

Carl
29-10-2011, 17:21
Drtnsnw was on about Moscowvites so I just thought your reply to him was about Moscowvites/Russians.... if not Russians then who are you on about?
Maybe expats that live here?

Plenty of delusional self-important expats here...along with their Russian counterparts.

Judge
29-10-2011, 17:32
Plenty of delusional self-important expats here...along with their Russian counterparts.

I agree with the first part....

Maybe that could be an answer to the OP's question..
A Moscowvite could answer, I don't like arrogant expats who come to my city and think they know it all..

Now for what I don't like about Moscow....only one thing comes to mind and that is ''Public Toilets'' there should be decent toilets around the city,underground or in buildings,not ugly blue smelly boxes..

winner
29-10-2011, 17:59
that is ''Public Toilets'' there should be decent toilets around the city,underground or in buildings,not ugly blue smelly boxes..

But you can't find even these smelly boxes somewhere...
:mooooh:

Judge
29-10-2011, 18:14

Yep, that's true, the toilet situation around Moscow really needs to be sorted.If Ronald McDonald ever decides to leave Russia then we will have a serious problem on our hands.Luzhkov was going to build loads of new high-tech toilets but Sobyanin rejected this idea.
Another problem with toilets here is that many are closed after 9pm, hardly any 24/7 toilets in a city with over 10 million people.

winner
29-10-2011, 18:18
If Ronald McDonald ever decides to leave Russia then we will have a serious problem on our hands.
:applause::11629::10806:

FatAndy
29-10-2011, 19:40
I use toilet in any nearest cafe/restaurant usually.:rasta:

BrandonL
29-10-2011, 19:53
Tunnel vision, I hate it...with a passion.

Every Russian has it.

Victoria 55
29-10-2011, 20:21
"If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them"------Bravo,I agree entirely with it.)
Sometimes it is better to watch rather than to talk.

MashaSashina
29-10-2011, 21:05
Tunnel vision, I hate it...with a passion.

Every Russian has it.
This finding betrays your wide horizons...

robertmf
29-10-2011, 21:10

Be thankful. You should see what they use in Харбаровск :)

BrandonL
29-10-2011, 21:38
This finding betrays your wide horizons...

Not really.

martpark
29-10-2011, 23:06
Maybe it's just me, I don't hang around with such people so I don't see this in people here.

I agree with what you say in general. Most people i get to know here are quite down to earth. I have met a few arrogant types also but very few.

Carl
29-10-2011, 23:35
I agree with what you say in general. Most people i get to know here are quite down to earth. I have met a few arrogant types also but very few.

'Get to know' someone...and the impressions one gets from differant people out-n-about town are two entirely different things.

Do you guys spend anytime downtown? Do you drive the streets of Moscow? I'm just curious as to where your daily routines take you for you to get your impressions.

Judge
30-10-2011, 10:59
Don't try to single me out as if I am the only one. Try to keep your personal issues with me off the forum.

Your name was mentioned because Carl quoted you, no one is trying to single you out.

Judge
30-10-2011, 11:17
'Get to know' someone...and the impressions one gets from differant people out-n-about town are two entirely different things.

Do you guys spend anytime downtown? Do you drive the streets of Moscow? I'm just curious as to where your daily routines take you for you to get your impressions.

Are you talking about the way people look here,walk, carry themselves,sure you might find some people in the centre who are all dressed up thinking they are 'it'.
I can usually see very well dressed people roaming around New Arbat,these people are very well dressed and look successful,they look like they have a few bob in the bank,but for all I know they could be poor and have only one decent suit or dress ,but when they are out and about they want to show off.
I drive but not in the centre of Moscow,I see no point in being stuck in a jam.
I agree that some drivers are full of themselves here,and show no respect to others cars,especially expensive cars boss the roads here.
That's another pet hate of mind about Moscow is the driving,but the situation is getting much better now..

sylvia24
31-10-2011, 13:56
dont like d way am been stared at in the metro or any where else apart frm my school.is it bcos am black???

xSnoofovich
31-10-2011, 13:58
dont like d way am been stared at in the metro or any where else apart frm my school.is it bcos am black???

Maybe it is because you are really beautiful?

Victoria 55
31-10-2011, 13:59
Not,because you are unique) Everyone who doesn't look like others or think another way is watched and discussed by the crowd.Take no notice of it...

winner
31-10-2011, 15:00

mds45
31-10-2011, 15:13
Sadly, Russia is a pretty racist country.
So the answer to your question is yes.

Unfortunately this is more likely to be true :(

TolkoRaz
31-10-2011, 15:57

Some say 'Black is Beautiful' - may be that's the reason! :10310:

mds45
31-10-2011, 16:02
Some say 'Black is Beautiful' - may be that's the reason! :10310)

And I would be one of them !! Black is beautiful so are all the other colours ))

martpark
31-10-2011, 16:21
'Get to know' someone...and the impressions one gets from differant people out-n-about town are two entirely different things. That's why I wrote 'get to know'. Other people I don't know, so can't really say much about them other than their hospitality is sometimes lacking though I've dropped my phone three times unknowingly and all three times it was returned to me.

I'm a teacher. I meet and talk in depth with normal Russians, large groups of them in fact, every day. They are quite friendly apart from a few high-flyers who were flying too high for me. Also I travel on the metro for hours every day. That's my story.

natlee
31-10-2011, 16:47
Not,because you are unique) Everyone who doesn't look like others or think another way is watched and discussed by the crowd.Take no notice of it... I fully agree, that could very well be the reason for most, if not all, stares. Gee, I stare @ my daugher's French teacher (i.e. teacher of French :) ) every time I see her. She is a beautiful redhead and I stare admiring her looks as well as wondering what my (redhead) daugher will look like when she grows up. She must think I'm a lesbian.. but I can't help staring! :D

TolkoRaz
01-11-2011, 04:31
Somebody once told me that Red Heads are wild! ;)

natlee
01-11-2011, 10:37
Somebody once told me that Red Heads are wild! ;) Come to kindergarten with me then.. :D

mrzuzzo
01-11-2011, 11:37
Somebody once told me that Red Heads are wild! ;)

I can confirm that fact. Redheads are insane bro.

TolkoRaz
01-11-2011, 17:31
Come to kindergarten with me then.. :D

Hmmmmmm :)

mds45
01-11-2011, 17:37

I keep holding doors open for women and they just look at me like I'm mad ???
No thankyou or any kind of acknowledgement just "the look "

TolkoRaz
01-11-2011, 17:40

Do you hold your hand out for tip? ;)

If so, go and find a real job! :p

mds45
01-11-2011, 17:45
Do you hold your hand out for tip? ;)

If so, go and find a real job! :p

You think it's easy for rich people to get in and out of this hotel, it's not !! they need me !!

Victoria 55
01-11-2011, 18:12
How about holding out your hand when the woman getting out of a car or transport?
Try it)))
You should do it)))
I like such manner of behaviour)

mds45
01-11-2011, 18:15
How about holding out your hand when the woman getting out of a car or transport?
Try it)))
You should do it)))
I like such manner of behaviour)

mmmm If just door holding merits such scorn the possibility to actually touch someone could I fear result in my blood being shed - sorry I am playing safe and sticking to doors ( not literally of course that would be silly )

Korotky Gennady
01-11-2011, 18:20

Are you working as an usher here ? :thumbdwn:

TolkoRaz
01-11-2011, 19:45
I think that you'll find that the English term is 'doorman' and the US term is 'bellman' :bookworm:

An 'usher', I think, normally shows people to their theatre or church seats :10310:

natlee
02-11-2011, 09:50
Hmmmmmm :) She's hot.. just sayin'.

SV1973a
02-11-2011, 09:56
She's hot.. just sayin'.

Who is?

natlee
02-11-2011, 10:00
Who is? My daughter's teacher! And you, my friend, are MARRIED :D

SV1973a
02-11-2011, 10:03
My daughter's teacher! And you, my friend, are MARRIED :D

But she does not need to know that ! :devil:

xSnoofovich
02-11-2011, 10:58
My daughter's teacher! And you, my friend, are MARRIED :D

It is mind over matter, right?

If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter? ;b

moscow777
02-11-2011, 13:40
it's dirty

natlee
02-11-2011, 14:18
No thankyou or any kind of acknowledgement just "the look " Have had the same problem with SOME OF our er ladies :D seriously, I have, not the look but the no thank you part or a smile or anything of the sort - makes me want to slam the door in their face sometimes :shame: But, the majority are grateful. If you hold a door open for me you're guaranteed a thank you :)

L'oiseau bleu
02-11-2011, 14:36
It is mind over matter, right?

If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter? ;b

and now, ladies and gentelmen, we are switching to the next thread - how Russia changed you:)

mds45
02-11-2011, 15:44
Have had the same problem with SOME OF our er ladies :D seriously, I have, not the look but the no thank you part or a smile or anything of the sort - makes me want to slam the door in their face sometimes :shame: But, the majority are grateful. If you hold a door open for me you're guaranteed a thank you :)

Then the next time someone opens a door for you say hello Michael, if he looks confused it's not me, If he looks really confused , as in how the hell did you know my name, it could well be me ))
Same goes for your kindergarden teacher friend by the way she sounds great :)

Newintown
04-11-2011, 13:12
not enough good food casual cafes and restaurants. Cup of coffee is too expensive.

JimG
07-11-2011, 00:05
I don't like that people take "blowing your nose", much to literally here.
I can't imagine where the chain of custody started regarding the tradition of the "finger on one nostril and blow through the other" in public. I dare not speak up in fear to get near.:yikes::yikes:

alouette
07-11-2011, 00:47
Have had the same problem with SOME OF our er ladies :D seriously, I have, not the look but the no thank you part or a smile or anything of the sort - makes me want to slam the door in their face sometimes :shame: But, the majority are grateful. If you hold a door open for me you're guaranteed a thank you :)

It does impress me, really, when somebody holds the door, for a example, in the metro. It makes me move quicker :) and I always say 'thanks'.

natlee
07-11-2011, 10:42
What amazes me is when ppl don't catch the door you're holding for them but keep walking.. people as in women AND men ;)

winner
12-11-2011, 21:35
not enough good food casual cafes and restaurants. Cup of coffee is too expensive.

Yes. You are right.

I prefer home food.

OK, what city in the world do u like to eat out?

Carl
12-11-2011, 21:52
Yes. You are right.

I prefer home food.

Milan, Paris, Bangkok, New York, Mougins (ok..a village, not a city but anyway), Los Angeles, Seattle.....good eats in all those places:))

TolkoRaz
12-11-2011, 22:50

Beirut. Abdul Wahabs is my favourite restaurant, but book well in advance; its very popular :)

FatAndy
13-11-2011, 15:34
Yes. You are right.

I prefer home food.

In Russia - Kaliningrad, Svetlogorsk (under Kaliningrad), Nizhny Novgorod, SPb, Rostov-na-Donu, Krasnodar, Voronezh, Perm, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk.
Outside Russia - Kiev, Minsk, Rome, Muenchen, Hannover, Salzburg, Prague, Amsterdam.

MariaPoli
13-11-2011, 15:37
Waiting patiently...

Interesting what will you say in 5 years??? To less Russians, miss them?;)

sixfootwo
15-11-2011, 20:03
I just don't like NOT being in Moscow. I lurrrvvve it !

In fact I love Russia. and Russian. and Russian food.

Wish I was there.

mds45
15-11-2011, 20:07
I hate topics on forums that just don't die !

mikegulf
15-11-2011, 20:13
I hate topics on forums that just don't die !

i concur! we should have a topic about topics we don't like to have topics about!!!!

mikegulf
15-11-2011, 20:38
Let's get together to discuss having a meeting to plan a meeting...

I always love a good pre meeting meeting to plan for the meeting about the meeting!!!

TolkoRaz
15-11-2011, 20:39
What about having a committee to form a committee?

justbe
15-11-2011, 20:39
I always love a good pre meeting meeting to plan for the meeting about the meeting!!!

…and drink before go out drinking!

mikegulf
15-11-2011, 20:53
…and drink before go out drinking!

Yes, that is a definite !!

Victoria 55
24-11-2011, 00:58
I don't like....lack of sun(

CareBear
29-11-2011, 15:37

LOL

Green Tea
04-12-2011, 00:42
What bugs me is that expats think they deserve western wages while working in Russia. Great if you work for an embassy or an international company who sends you to Moscow, but if you just show up in Russia and start a job search, don't demand higher wages than Russians.

chartreuse
04-12-2011, 08:27
What bugs me is that expats think they deserve western wages while working in Russia. Great if you work for an embassy or an international company who sends you to Moscow, but if you just show up in Russia and start a job search, don't demand higher wages than Russians.
If you just show up here, you will get nothing, not even 5 bucks an hour, unless you are willing to give away flyers at a metro station. Guys who say they are here for the money were hired by big Russian guns to run their business. Personally, I think these guys are greatly overpaid. They don't really do anything because they are fake. But Russian bosses are so flamboyant, they can pay anything for an English speaking manager (or lawyer, whatever) if even for a chance to h improve their English. That's what I see all the time. Most of these British and American "experts" are phonies. Just speaking the truth :)

Carl
04-12-2011, 19:03
They don't really do anything because they are fake. But Russian bosses are so flamboyant, they can pay anything for an English speaking manager (or lawyer, whatever) if even for a chance to h improve their English. That's what I see all the time. Most of these British and American "experts" are phonies. Just speaking the truth :)

That's an interesting take on things..
So what do you think the Russian 'business world' would look like today if all those 'phonies' hadn't been here at all?

Parco
04-12-2011, 20:07
If you just show up here, you will get nothing, not even 5 bucks an hour, unless you are willing to give away flyers at a metro station.

WOW! I must have been really lucky as I earnt more than $5 an hour, despite showing up here without a job. I'm proud to pass through Terminal D and see the hard work I put in tirelessly for months on end, but which last for many years to come.

In my last role, in a Russian IT company, I earnt less than my Russian counterparts but was happy to have had the honour and privilege of living and working in Russia and Kazakhstan.

What do I hate about Moscow?
Foreigners who complain about losing 'expat' perks, being paid the same as a Russian, or just don't appreciate how lucky they are to live/work here. HQS work permits are only going to make the problem much worse.

robertmf
04-12-2011, 20:19
... HQS work permits are only going to make the problem much worse.

Пожальста, :10293: What are "HQS" work permits and how will they make the problem worse ?

What is "the problem", anyway :question:

Спасибо.

Parco
04-12-2011, 20:36
Пожальста, :10293: What are "HQS" work permits and how will they make the problem worse ?

What is "the problem", anyway :question:

Спасибо.

Highly Qualified Specialist (HQS) work permits aren't based on a foreigner's qualifications but judged purely on their salary. Currently, 2 million rubles per year before paying tax. The process for employing a foreigner on an HQS work permit is much simpler. So the only type of foreign specialists Moscow is likely to see in the future are these highly (over)paid specialists.

The HQS work permits have nothing to do with talent nor ability over a non-HQS work permit. Put another way someone with a Phd or MBA earning 1.9 million rubles per year will have a harder time getting a job and/or work permit, than someone with a college diploma earning 2 million rubles.

Hence, HQS encourages higher salaries for foreigners.

If HQS was correctly rephrased to Highly Paid Specialist, I don't think the Russians would be too welcoming of such a scheme.

robertmf
04-12-2011, 20:57
Highly Qualified Specialist (HQS) work permits aren't based on a foreigner's qualifications but judged purely on their salary. Currently, 2 million rubles per year before paying tax. The process for employing a foreigner on an HQS work permit is much simpler. So the only type of foreign specialists Moscow is likely to see in the future are these highly (over)paid specialists.

The HQS work permits have nothing to do with talent nor ability over a non-HQS work permit. Put another way someone with a Phd or MBA earning 1.9 million rubles per year will have a harder time getting a job and/or work permit, than someone with a college diploma earning 2 million rubles.

If HQS was correctly rephrased to Highly Paid Specialist, I don't think the Russians would be too welcoming of such a scheme.

Thanks for HQS. All things equal, why would any employer pay 2M rubles to someone not competent ?

Parco
04-12-2011, 21:02
Thanks for HQS. All things equal, why would any employer pay 2M rubles to someone not competent ?

It's not unheard of, for an employer to pay a higher salary to get a foreigner in to work, avoiding the headache and hassle of non-HQS work permit ...especially if they fall just short or the 2m ruble target.

A fairer system for all should be based on qualification and experience, then if salary is 2M or above - no problem.

SV1973a
05-12-2011, 08:49

But all is relative of course. I think 2M roubles is not that much of a salary. Most of the expats (at least the ones I hang out with) earn more than 50kEUR in their home countries already.
So, if you got an MBA or PhD, you should definitely earn more than 2M roubles.
Besides, what is the problem. The higher the salaries of these expats, the higher the tax income for Russia.

ahince
05-12-2011, 21:46
Terrible traffic jams!

:plane:

Nansi
05-12-2011, 21:55
ohh agressive people XDD
well I agree with this our problems
but hey, we are not so bad )))

winner
08-12-2011, 00:45
I hate expats who come on expat forums and try to act more Russian than Russians.

:twofaced:

chartreuse
09-12-2011, 05:02
I hate expats who come on expat forums and try to act more Russian than Russians.
REALLY? Name one. All the expats here act as if they are so f**ing temporarily here that they can't wait to get out of here and return to their usual British or American paradise. Let me tell you something. It ain't no paradise over there! It's hell on Earth! But they still want to go there because....well because it's their hell, and this hell is ours. Simple. Everyone chooses its own hell, while on Earth that is. After that, who knows...

sashadidi
09-12-2011, 10:20
REALLY? Name one. All the expats here act as if they are so f**ing temporarily here that they can't wait to get out of here and return to their usual British or American paradise. Let me tell you something. It ain't no paradise over there! It's hell on Earth! But they still want to go there because....well because it's their hell, and this hell is ours. Simple. Everyone chooses its own hell, while on Earth that is. After that, who knows...

Its not hell on earth in New Zealand!!

TolkoRaz
09-12-2011, 16:45
Its not hell on earth in New Zealand!!

It is if you are a sheep! :p

L'oiseau bleu
09-12-2011, 17:01
It is if you are a sheep! :p

:)))

Green Tea
09-12-2011, 19:55
Looking back, the few things I didn't like about living in Russia and Ukraine were:

1.) No public drinking fountains.

2.) Disgusting public wash rooms, and the need to carry TP.

3.) No public libraries to borrow English books from.

4.) Waiting in queues.

5.) Shop security guards.

6.) Expensive electronics and clothing prices.

7.) Expensive long distance calls (no cheap options).

All rather trivial issues. The Pros outweigh the Cons.

TolkoRaz
09-12-2011, 21:36

TolkoRaz
09-12-2011, 21:36
Looking back, the few things I didn't like about living in Russia and Ukraine were:

4.) Waiting in queues.

Russians hate London; the libraries and newspaper stands do not provide Russian language books and the TV / Radio is in English! ;)

Oh, and in London, they drive on the opposite of the road! :p

Johno
09-12-2011, 22:11

Gee's.... Bitter much??

Johno
09-12-2011, 22:18

correct me if i'm wrong but you still need to prove higher education to get a HQS.

alouette
09-12-2011, 22:36
Russians hate London; the libraries and newspaper stands do not provide Russian language books and the TV / Radio is in English! ;)

Oh, and in London, they drive on the opposite of the road! :p

What a ridiculous statement! Have you ever met Russian expats in London? Did they really complain about no Russian books or TV programmes?

alouette
09-12-2011, 22:40
By the way, it's not only in London they happen to drive on the opposite side of the road but normally it doesn't cause much problems.

Indiana
10-12-2011, 01:45

4.) Waiting in queues.

I will challenge that. Let's see...

1.) No public drinking fountains -- false, plenty of those.

2.) Disgusting public wash rooms, and the need to carry TP -- Yeah, but what a ride!

3.) No public libraries to borrow English books from -- The country speaks Russian. Why would they have books in English? Duh!

4.) Waiting in queues -- ever been to K-Mart in the USA? In comparison, Russian lines are a joy ride.

5.) Shop security guards -- How many times they have actually given you any trouble? They are just doing their job, give them a break.

6.) Expensive electronics and clothing prices -- compared to what? The prices are not that different from the rest of Europe. USA is a different story, but Europeans pay a premium compared to the Americans too.

.) Expensive long distance calls (no cheap options) -- Come on. First of all, there are calling cards, which are dirt cheap, and second of all there's Skype, which is 100% free.

TolkoRaz
10-12-2011, 02:21
What a ridiculous statement! Have you ever met Russian expats in London? Did they really complain about no Russian books or TV programmes?

It was a joke, but it clearly went right over your head! :(

Green Tea
10-12-2011, 03:02
There are all sorts of Russian books, DVDs, music, and newspapers in the public libraries in my country.

Indiana
10-12-2011, 03:30
There are all sorts of Russian books, DVDs, music, and newspapers in the public libraries in my country.
And what country would that be?

I have no problems getting English books, DVDs, and music here in Russia. I will agree with you that public libraries here don't have anything decent except Mark Twain and Hemingway (whom I can't stand, but I'm stupid, so...). But again, this country is very Orthodox and they want to stay that way. How can you blame them? Freedom of choice, don't you preach that to the rest of the World every day? Well, that's theirs -- respect it. OK?

Indiana
10-12-2011, 03:48
Huge library near Tanganka with an entire floor dedicated to books in English.
There you go. Its Taganka though, not Tanganka. I prefer Metro Taganskaya myself. "Taganka" in this day and age sounds dirty, for some reason, I don't know.

Indiana
10-12-2011, 04:40
Someone needs to learn not to drink and type...
Why not? It's easy to say when all you do all day doesn't eat your brain from the inside. Some of us have to make money, so your pub can sell us the freaking beer. Some of us have to actually work, so we can support you. A brain needs a break once in a while, and sometimes it also needs to have fun. You will never understand.

winner
11-12-2011, 16:52
1.) No public drinking fountains....

drinking fountains when it's frosty :tongue:

3.) No public libraries to borrow English books from..

State library by Rudomino/Russian State Children's library.

5.) Shop security guards....
Shop security guards are in all countries now , I think.

It depends...

7.) Expensive long distance calls (no cheap options)...

What about Skype?

mds45
11-12-2011, 17:29
correct me if i'm wrong but you still need to prove higher education to get a HQS.

You don't need any formal qualifications to get a HQS visa, you do need an employment record that suites the job you will be doing and earn over the 2million Rb's , that's it.. nothing else..

Johno
12-12-2011, 22:40
I will challenge that. Let's see...

.) Expensive long distance calls (no cheap options) -- Come on. First of all, there are calling cards, which are dirt cheap, and second of all there's Skype, which is 100% free.

Or if you have decent internet, buy yourself a VOIP phone. Cheepest phone class possible.

vladvlad
18-01-2012, 23:51
Concise list about what I dislike in Moscow (i'm not speaking about the entire country, obviously):
1) traffic jams (especially in the inner ring and Rublevo Uspenskoe) and the insane way Muscovite drivers behave (use the metro, taxis or a paid driver, otherwise take some Prozac)
2) corruption and indolence of public officials and police
3) insane VISA/residency permits (get a lawyer to deal with it, or you will get suicidal tendencies periodically)
4) high prices of the quality things (of any nature and type)
5) not the highest work ethic in the world for many people
6) bad food (except for some high class restaurant)
7) to much use of alcohol, especially at night (this can generate potentially dangerous situations anywhere, with predilection in clubs and in traffic)

And now the good parts:
1) I love my job (real estate developer)
2) if you are good at what you are doing, you can make a lot of honest money in Moscow, even if The Guardian&co propaganda claim otherwise (and without being in business with the mostly invented "russian mafia")
3) women, women & women
4) nice forest and lakes around the city
5) winter with snow is fairy-tale type
6) culture (museums, libraries, etc - but you must learn russian)

winner
19-01-2012, 00:18
3) women, women & women
4) nice forest and lakes around the city
5) winter with snow is fairy-tale type
6) culture (museums, libraries, etc - but you must learn russian)
:iagree: