PDA

View Full Version : Can I intern on a tourist visa?

DKB
19-10-2011, 01:08
Does anyone know if it's possible to intern whilst visiting on a tourist visa? Does it matter whether the internship is paid or unpaid? Many thanks

inorcist
19-10-2011, 18:03
I don't know a single country that would allow this from a legal perspective. But it's practically possible and I'm sure a lot of people have done this before.

Personally, I don't see why you would do this. A tourist visa is valid max 30 days and you put yourself and the company at risk.

For short term internships I know people who came on a normal business visa. Long term, it'll be tricky. To my understanding, the concept of internships is not as widespread in Russia as in other countries and therefore you need a full work permit.

inorcist
19-10-2011, 19:32
Ammendment to my previous post:

With respect to a paid internship. On a business, visitor or tourist visa you are not allowed to receive any money in Russia for any work done in Russia.

The only model to allow foreigners to do a paid internship here and make some money is that they get a contract in their home country and are sent over here for a business trip. So, they are paid at home but sit in a Russian office.

Of course again, this is Russia and officlal rules are often just ignored.

ilya25
20-10-2011, 01:06

With respect to a paid internship. On a business, visitor or tourist visa you are not allowed to receive any money in Russia for any work done in Russia.

The only model to allow foreigners to do a paid internship here and make some money is that they get a contract in their home country and are sent over here for a business trip. So, they are paid at home but sit in a Russian office.

agree with the above post except ingoring the rules that could lead to really high fines for immigration non-compliance
another possible option to become a student at russian uni and get a study visa, students may work w/o additinal paperwork

yakspeare
20-10-2011, 07:50
Students may not work, unless for the institution that has them on a student visa..and this is only for ten hours a week...if you want to work ten hours for a Russian university...considering the paltry sum the full times get, you may just cover the cost of your metro card each month!

andymackem
20-10-2011, 10:57

I believe you could arrange for any payments to be made in your home country, and ensure that on your contract your details made no reference to you being in Russia. That would also absolve the employer from any tax responsibilities before the Russian authorities - but would leave YOU liable to whatever your local income tax might be back home. Then it's up to you how you get to Russia, since being in Russia is not connected to your employment.

But, as others have said, are you sure this is something you want to do? I'm assuming you're not currently here and won't make much money out of the internship (if any). Is it really an opportunity that you couldn't possibly recreate in your own country or one where you have the right to work? Russia's a great place, but it's less great if you're earning very little and have a questionable legal status.

Parco
20-10-2011, 11:18
In short, I would recommend no.

If you are new to Moscow, don't know your way around and the police stop you for a spot-check. Firstly, you won't be dressed like a tourist (which will be clearly visible on your visa). Secondly, having documents in your bag or on you will clearly identify you as working for a company. Both you and the company will be subject to fines and of course deportation after applying for an exit visa.

Taxation shouldn't be that much of an issue since an intern earns close to the tax threshold within most European countries. Flights, visas and accommodation could all count towards tax deductables as you are on a business trip away from home. So in effect, you'd probably pay no tax at all.

ilya25
22-10-2011, 05:24
Students may not work, unless for the institution that has them on a student visa..and this is only for ten hours a week...if you want to work ten hours for a Russian university...considering the paltry sum the full times get, you may just cover the cost of your metro card each month!

I think foreign students can work w/o limitations during vacations

eric1
16-01-2012, 22:30
It is very rare to find an Internship that pays in Moscow. In this respect- if you are not being paid, it is no problem. But the tourist visa only lasts 30 days.

If you want to stay up to 3 months, you will need to get a business visa, but even with a business visa, you will not be able to earn money in the RF.

There are many language schools in Moscow (although they can be expensive) will get an invitation letter for you to stay up to one year in Moscow. Under this educational visa, you can take some Russian courses and also do an internship. But you still are not legally allowed to accept pay.

I know someone who did an internship and was paid for it, but it was a part of their university club ( aiesec ) and you need to be club member before you can tap into their resources.