PDA

View Full Version : Census shows 65,000 Russian women

Stella
24-11-2003, 02:48
65,000 Russian women think they are still married, while their counterparts think otherwise. What does "marriage" mean to your Russian partner? And what are the legalities?

polly
24-11-2003, 03:26
i think there's a lot of things that come into play here. i heard about this poll as well and had to laugh a bit. but seriously, there are a lot of married couples who have decided to live separately -- maybe women tend to be more 'sentimental' about the stamp in their passport than the men in that regard. also, there are probably many couples in a common law (grazhdansky) marriage, and again, maybe women are more inclined to consider that 'official' than are men. then you have women who are widows and may still consider themselves married.
but all things considered, it's kind of difficult to believe an official poll wouldn't take all of these situations into account. or maybe it's not! i dunno! :rolleyes:

Stella
24-11-2003, 03:42
I don't know know, either, Polly, but, marriage means something else to Russians. I know, because I've been married to a great Russian guy for almost ten years. Casual sex is not grounds for divorce, so what is? Oye, pooh, pooh, pooh!

Stella
24-11-2003, 04:17
But it's possible!!!:agree: