PDA

View Full Version : Big Boy's

grandman
23-11-2003, 22:06
The big boy's are great for live firing on a range, but all have associated problems under actual combat conditions.

Most good combat weapons are a trade off, between accuracy and stopping power. Remember you have to bring a weapon to bear against a target that is armed, mobile and dangerous, under very Strenuous conditions.

Teutonic Deity
23-11-2003, 23:26
For a great novel based around the US gun culture, check out [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888118040]"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross (over 290 reader reviews on Amazon!)

DaveUKagain
24-11-2003, 00:27
Hi TD and Grandman -

Grandman, you`d almost be right if I occaisionally missed. I never do. ;-))))))))))))

Anyway. To be honest, I`m so soft that I`d never even hurt a fly- I just liked the challenge of putting holes in distant pieces of paper. Typical esoteric sport practised by those not quite in touch with reality, of which I am a proud and fully paid up member. ;-))))

Dave ;-)))))

Stella
24-11-2003, 02:08
Oye, Dave, you are always right on target! Grandman, get a ghostwriter. JFK had one! Teutie, you have the dream job!:bookworm:

moscowmail
24-11-2003, 07:28
Couldn't resost guys, in any ermm real or combat situation the importance is not really on accuarcy, well not at close range, but noise and firepower....

Buutttt, I do agree with the big boy, me I liked the glock or MP....

Sorry for butting in old chaps...

DaveUKagain
27-11-2003, 20:45
Hehee - MM`s right. ;-))))) Never been shot at but I remember standing in the middle of a range (It`s OK, folks, this was a range in a valley and I was operating the safety flags from up top, perfectly safe) and listening to rifle bullets whizz past down below.

In case you`ve never heard that, sounds like the largest, angriest hornet in the world flying past you. If there`s several dozen of `em coming your way a second, you`re certainly reminded of your mortality. Whilst you have your head down. And brown trousers on. ;-))))

Churchill said once that it was the most exhilarating thing in the world to be shot at without chance of injury. ;-))))) Well, I`ll join him in the foxhole, and so long as I get to hold his cigar, he can do the return fire. ;-))))))))

DJ Biscuit
27-11-2003, 21:36
I spent some time in Belize and N.Ireland, scary is scary, exciting is an entirely different thing!

DaveUKagain
28-11-2003, 01:40
;-)))) Was it scary or exciting, DJ ? ;-))))))

kniga
28-11-2003, 02:05
grandman,

I don't want to get on your case again, but when did you ever experience the combat conditions you speak of?

moscowmail
28-11-2003, 11:02
Hey DJ, me too, and in da gulf first time round, and a bit of time in Afganistan.,....traing :) do miss the old buzz eh!!! :)

grandman
29-11-2003, 02:40
Originally posted by DaveUKagain
Hi TD and Grandman -

Grandman, you`d almost be right if I occaisionally missed. I never do. ;-))))))))))))

Anyway. To be honest, I`m so soft that I`d never even hurt a fly- I just liked the challenge of putting holes in distant pieces of paper. Typical esoteric sport practised by those not quite in touch with reality, of which I am a proud and fully paid up member. ;-))))

Dave ;-)))))

“Even the greatest of masters, is but a victim of circumstance in combat” A very important quote for all would be combatants to bear in mind!

Oh, it doesn’t mean, “no matter how good you are, there is always someone better

grandman
29-11-2003, 02:47
Originally posted by kniga
grandman,

I don't want to get on your case again, but when did you ever experience the combat conditions you speak of?

Oh, once again I find myself lacking, while you sir, bask in the light of wisdom, truce?

kniga
29-11-2003, 03:13
grandman,

Not wisdom, experience. No need for a truce, it was no contest.

DaveUKagain
29-11-2003, 04:13
Saw the end results of someone getting a 9mm in the head once and I for one am very glad I never saw combat.......

kniga
29-11-2003, 11:28
Dave,

You're staying up late again...

grandman
29-11-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by kniga
grandman,

Not wisdom, experience. No need for a truce, it was no contest.

Oh! You mean like:
1. Target asset Acquisition – (TAA)
2. Target of opportunity (TOO)
3. Target asset status (TAS)
4. Asset status (AS)
5. Surveillance Trap (ST)
6. Eye ball only (EBO)
ETC. – Or Oman, Iran, Iraq or Sharja (can’t remember correct spelling for this one). Sure I told you, I use to work in the ME, had a great time there and, earned a few pennies as well.

All makes for a good novel. Use to work for a British firm whose internal memo book abbreviations read like a spy novel. Probably why I have written one, plus a certain Richard Tomlinson made it clear there are something’s you don’t talk about? Not if you wish to remain part of the human race. You’re quite right though, if you’ve been there it does annoy you when some young upstart, starts talking rubbish – I agree!

And, of course as always, you are absolutely right to call me on this one, and I certainly have no wish to incur you’re wrath again!

BTW, if you’re experiencing any difficulty in obtaining any ingredients for Chinese cooking, provide a postal address – (If that is allowed) and I will send a Christmas parcel to all you exiles – (though why anyone considers you to be such is beyond me. You’re probably better off were you are, than we are here).

GM ergo WK

kniga
29-11-2003, 14:49
grandman,

I have no trouble with young upstarts. Everyone gets to be one at life's start, and age is an accident of birth, not a choice. I do have trouble with poseurs and you come dangerously close in some of your posts. The irritation factor for someone who has been there and done that when others who haven't talk about such things is not what the young upstart/poseur doesn't know -- it's what he doesn't know that he doesn't know. And there's no cure for this except experience, education, maturation and the good fortune to live long enough to realize the truth of this. I hope you get all the experience you'll need (except combat, and no one needs that) to develop that lively mind of yours into something as extraordinary as you think it already is.

Language, sigh. Grandman, we are not "exiles," but "expatriates". The former is generally understood to be involuntary, the latter voluntary. I do not believe any expat here has been exiled to Russia from his home country. Watch the amount of MSG you're putting in your Chinese cooking...

grandman
29-11-2003, 22:57
Kniga
MSG = Mono-Sodium-Glutamate - I think that’s what you mean.?
You must understand, the recipe I gave you is a slightly salt dish and must not have a sauce just a very fine coating that binds the ingredients together, you may need to add a small amount of additional water during the incorporation of the Corn starch, if it become gluteus.

I have never overestimated my importance to this board much less life. I learned a long-time ago that my thoughts or words can hope to have very little effect on the overall scheme of life on this planet. My actions could prove effective in a small way. The problem every thinking man faces is; his words can be retracted if incorrect, his thoughts never need to be known, but, his actions are final, and as such, must be both correct and sustainable.

kniga
30-11-2003, 00:05
grandman,

You are just TOO much fun! My reference to MSG was a little tongue-in-cheek to suggest that your thinking was getting a little thick.

And speaking of cheeks, I should hope my Chinese recipe would not turn gluteus, especially not gluteus maximus! The word you seek to express, ironically, "thick", is "glutinous".

Tell me you didn't go to cooking school at Cambridge...

grandman
30-11-2003, 00:29
:mad: At myself that is!

I was aware of another meaning to MSG, but foolishly set it aside, and you are (as usual) correct; insofar as my choice of words does not describe you’re Chinese cooking.

No, I never took cooking at Cambridge. Taught myself to cook, as a peaceful hobby; thank you once again, but this cannot continue in such a one sided manner!

kniga
30-11-2003, 00:48
Well, there's one way to assure that...

grandman
30-11-2003, 23:19
YES! I know

:)

kniga
30-11-2003, 23:35
Careful, you're beginning to look smart! :-)

grandman
01-12-2003, 01:14
No problems; looking smart and being smart, are two different animals – YES? Many people on this board look smart; until one looks closer, then – the veneer; just fades away into the sunset)))))?

kniga
01-12-2003, 01:15
Couldn't have said it better myself! :-)

grandman
01-12-2003, 01:23
Praise indeed - from the master; yet more still to be achieved, with careful practice, of-course -)))

:bookworm:

kniga
01-12-2003, 07:06
Yes, and you'll find The School of Hard Knocks a better learning institution than even vaunted Cambridge...

grandman
01-12-2003, 22:45
Tell me; Venerable Master, what is, YOUR-PROBLEM, with Cambridge?)))

:confused:

DaveUKagain
01-12-2003, 23:19
;-)))

My particular one is that I did some consultancy work there. After a few days, heard the MD on the phone saying "Ahh, it`s OK, we have a tame consultant here who does whatever we want, and he`s cheap ! " - went home a few days later, they phoned me up again, so I became a bit less tame and put my fees RIGHT up. ;-)))

No, they didn`t have me back. ;-)))))

kniga
01-12-2003, 23:29
Ah, grandman, just when I thought you were showing signs of getting smarter. My problem with Cambridge is its products.

grandman
01-12-2003, 23:30
There you-go; Dave, you didn’t have a problem; just a slight hitch. Which you-solved, by applying, some simple commonsense?-)))

DaveUKagain
01-12-2003, 23:36
Lovely place, though. Outrrrrrrageously expensive for rent. Mind you, all IT industry down there - or used to be. Used to work for a company with headquarters just to the south of there. Strange interview. Went in, they said "Can you do a three table join using SQL ? "

"Yep, no problem" says I.

"Right, how much do you want and can you start on Monday ?"

Them were the days...... ;-)))))

DaveUKagain
01-12-2003, 23:38
True enough, Grandman. ;-)) No, I like the place immensely, to be honest. Love a job back there - well, the IT recession seems to be finishing here, so luck and a fair wind, eh ??

grandman
02-12-2003, 00:10
I started to build; my-own website, then told by hosting company they didn’t offer/support:-
1 setting CHMOD commands
2. Htaccess files
3. MySql
4. SSI
5. SSL
6. Access to send mail
7. Php
8. Access to set cron jobs
9. SSH
So only partially completed, will find another hosting company; someday – maybe)))

:mad: At hosting Company-)))

DaveUKagain
02-12-2003, 00:39
A lot of hosters do, Grandman - just provide money. ;-) As for the support you mention - you`re having a database driven website ???

grandman
02-12-2003, 00:48
Dave,

That was the idea. HTML/DHTML – static- websites; are a pain, in a certain part of ones anatomy; located in the lower regions. )))