PDA

View Full Version : New chef coming to Russia

VENGACHI
10-10-2011, 11:14
Hey all. Going to to Russia in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. I'm wondering what opportunities there might me for an American chef. Will I be able to fond work and at a descent wage. I've been working for the ritz Carlton for several years as well as other fine ding restaurants. Any info would be most helpful.
. Thanks,
Jake

Max77
10-10-2011, 11:47
Hey all. Going to to Russia in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. I'm wondering what opportunities there might me for an American chef. Will I be able to fond work and at a descent wage. I've been working for the ritz Carlton for several years as well as other fine ding restaurants. Any info would be most helpful.
. Thanks,
Jake

Hi and welcome Jake!
Sorry if I am a little bit off topic here, but I'd like one day to see them sell pre-made patties for burgers in Moscow supermarkets. Juicy and daily fresh, made of ground chicken, beef or pork with the right spices and stuff. Maybe some of you, American chefs :bowdown:, can make my dream come true. Does this sound like a million dollar idea to anyone?

Thanks,
Max

OnSecondment
10-10-2011, 14:41
Hi and welcome Jake!
Sorry if I am a little bit off topic here, but I'd like one day to see them sell pre-made patties for burgers in Moscow supermarkets. Juicy and daily fresh, made of ground chicken, beef or pork with the right spices and stuff. Maybe some of you, American chefs :bowdown:, can make my dream come true. Does this sound like a million dollar idea to anyone?

Thanks,
Max

Don't Alvie Perusa do something similar already?

Max77
10-10-2011, 22:19

Well, thanks for the info!
They'd better have it the way I like. The proper way that is!

Anyways, I think there's great market potential for such things. I just don't think a few stores scattered around the city can satisfy all the demand.

VENGACHI
13-10-2011, 10:14
Hey all I'm planning on moving to possibly Voronezh or Moscow with my fiancÚ. She is Russian. Would there be any highend restaurant groups that would want to hire an American chef with lots of experience in the fine dining sector. Of course money is important, but I'm really just trying to he happy and have living at home with my lady. Any information on various restaurant groups or any other directions I could point my self in would be much appreciated. Visiting the country real soon. Thanks for welcoming to your forum.

Benedikt
13-10-2011, 11:21
you have to register, let them have your CV, they have their site in english and russian language.
then you can check in your inbox every 3 or 4 days when you get the jobs that are available.and there are lots of it. but don't fsaint when yo usee the salary they offer. or what they are asking what a Chef is supposed to know and to do...
forget Moscow, they overwork and underpay you. provinces pay much more and knowledge and experience is being asked. but it is understood that more then basic russian is needed beyond the city limits of moscow.
you will work either with young people fresh out from cooks college who are full of theoretical ideas but never have cooked a real beef boullion or demi glace. and you get the old style cccp cooks, who have done their thing since the great patriotic war and will NOT change, come hell or high water.
need more help or have more questions, send me a pm or e mail, if you are in Moscow we can meet also over a beer or two.
i am here in Russia since over 20 years, and soon will write a book about it.
happy cooking,

Benedikt
13-10-2011, 11:22

in all forms, sizes and shapes. they are just called -kotletti- and not burgers...:beerbros:

Benedikt
13-10-2011, 11:27
with a few foreigners inbetween. so they will cater what the majority of buyers want, not the odd foreigner.
therefore buy mince, MIRATORG has the best, from METRO, and do your own burgers at home. the way YOU like them, with all the right spices and seasoning....
Burgerbuns, the soft rolls like at MCD, you also can buy at METRO, so you will have your perfect Big Mac.Don't forget to buy a liter or two of Coke and you feel like at home.