PDA

View Full Version : Marrying a Russian citizen while having a student visa

BabyFirefly
10-10-2011, 04:46
Hi,

I'm currently a student at MGU, and thus have a student visa. My boyfriend and I want to get married and to then apply for temporary residence.

I just want to know if I'm able to get married on a student visa (well, maybe a business visa since we're getting married in the summer hopefully and I might need to do a visa run for that), and if I'm able to apply for temporary residence while abroad, since I might need to come back to the US for a year for academic reasons. We *might* get married earlier IF I NEED to be in Russia while filing for temporary residence, but it's not what we want to do.

Theoretically I'd like to apply for temporary residence while abroad, get the paperwork/visa/whatever sorted, and be able to come back here without issues. However since there's some new visa rules, I don't know if I'm able to pull this off. Any advice?

rusmeister
10-10-2011, 06:34
Hi,

I'm currently a student at MGU, and thus have a student visa. My boyfriend and I want to get married and to then apply for temporary residence.

I just want to know if I'm able to get married on a student visa (well, maybe a business visa since we're getting married in the summer hopefully and I might need to do a visa run for that), and if I'm able to apply for temporary residence while abroad, since I might need to come back to the US for a year for academic reasons. We *might* get married earlier IF I NEED to be in Russia while filing for temporary residence, but it's not what we want to do.

Theoretically I'd like to apply for temporary residence while abroad, get the paperwork/visa/whatever sorted, and be able to come back here without issues. However since there's some new visa rules, I don't know if I'm able to
pull this off. Any advice?

Residency in Russia is pretty incompatible with returning to the US for a year, which might throw some serious monkey wrenches into your marriage if you have to be separated for that year. Separation for long periods is generally bad for marriages. You might have to choose one or the other. I guess it depends on how important the academic reasons are vs how important the marriage is. (I think marriage pretty darn important, more than most do these days, it seems.)

BabyFirefly
10-10-2011, 16:09
There's a good chance I won't graduate if I don't go back for a year, and not getting my degree is unacceptable for both of us for many reasons. I just have a few courses left to get my dual degree.

Unis here won't seem to take transfer credit for anything so that's out of the question, and he could come to the US but that process alone would take about a year, so not worth it if we'll be hopping on a plane soon after he gets his visa/green card/whatever to come to the US (this doesn't apply if we do direct consular filing, BUT only residents can apply for direct consular filing in the Moscow US embassy). That's why I'm hoping to be able to apply for TPR for Russia while in the US, that way I can come back here after graduation with no having to live on a business visa (since that seems out of the question given the new regulations).

His work actually pays quite well and is very flexible in terms of holidays, so we're going to spend that year visiting each other (we've done it before).