PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an expat orchestra

AlexinRussia
09-10-2011, 13:43
Dear all,

I've been looking -unsuccessfully- for an expat orchestra in Moscow. I play the clarinet and the piano and I'd love to join a band/orchestra. I haven't played the clarinet for a while but used to be quite good at it. And it would be quite nice to meet new people to!

Ideally it would be situated in the south of Moscow or on the orange line. Please let me know if you've heard of any in the area.

Thank you

andymackem
10-10-2011, 11:04
Hi,

Can't think of an expat orchestra, or even an amateur band for Russians. The International Choir (based at St. Andrew's) is the best I can come up with. This doesn't help me, since I sing like a police dog :(

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be other expatters who would be interesting in setting up some kind of ensemble. We might not get a full orchestra together, but depending on who is involved we could create something workable? I'm another lapsed clarinet player (currently without an instrument); any others out there? String players?

FatAndy
10-10-2011, 11:15
This doesn't help me, since I sing like a police dog :(
Ha! Some people can't sing at all, so you have some advantage ;)

rivergirl32
12-10-2011, 14:38
Hi
I play cello although unfortunately I don't have it with me, but if I could find one on loan or buy a relatively cheap one it would be great to be a part of an ensemble, even a string quartet/trio. I miss playing my cello :-(

andymackem
13-10-2011, 14:41
So, two clarinets and a cello. We might be struggling a bit for repertoire here. Although the Brahms Op. 114 trio might work if we can find a pianist (and reach a compromise over which clarinet plays which bits!).

AlexinRussia
24-10-2011, 23:21
That's ok, I play the piano too. Actually better than the clarinet. Still not much of an orchestra. Anybody else interested? I can recruit a trombone and a drum player from work if I work hard on it...

gabriele
25-10-2011, 13:26
Ciao, i'm looking for piano lessons.
Have you some contacts??
Thanks,
gab

ilya
25-10-2011, 15:04
Hi, AlexinRussia!
I can advise you the orchestra of Moscow State University (but they are all Russians, and i guess a half of them are students). A friend of mine plays violin there.
Also, if you are interested, this Friday they give a concert in MSU. I got an invitation.
I cant say they play well but perhaps it will suit you for some time)))
If you got questions wright me a PM.

maupiand
24-11-2011, 18:49
Hi AlexinRussia,
I am violiniste, playing in an amatoreal orchestra in Paris and moving to Moscow the end of decembre2011.
Did you find any orchestra from the time you have posted? I can not imagine quitting with music...so please keep in touch if you have any information that can be helpfull in our research. I think I can manage the Russian Conductor explanations...
all the best
Monika

andymackem
25-11-2011, 23:08
That's ok, I play the piano too. Actually better than the clarinet. Still not much of an orchestra. Anybody else interested? I can recruit a trombone and a drum player from work if I work hard on it...

Well, if our 'cello-playing friend comes back to us that would at least by a trio with some viable repertoire. I can bring my clarinets over after New Year. Might be a starting point? Of course, it's been so long i may need some guidance about which end to blow down, but it should trickle back eventually (it's the pointy end, right!?)