PDA

View Full Version : Demand for native teachers in Ekaterinburg

sisyphus
08-10-2011, 23:15
anyone know if there is much demand for native english teachers in Ekaterinburg? Is the demand for general english, business english, childrens etc? ta. :wavey:

Bels
09-10-2011, 00:03
I dont even know where this place is, but we all know there is a demand for English everywhere in the world. What you need is to find out is if there is wealth in this area, and who can afford this obvious demand in English. Otherwise you need to form large groups and have your own prepared language lessons.

I would say that the general demand is for children and teenagers, and adults are unreliable on a regular basis, and that is a fact any where in the world

anyone know if there is much demand for native english teachers in Ekaterinburg? Is the demand for general english, business english, childrens etc? ta. :wavey:

Ulyana.de.fine
09-10-2011, 12:54
http://youtu.be/V2S76LSHLcs

bob-b-d
09-10-2011, 20:00
Recently I was browsing jobs in. Kiev and was amazed when I came across an ad! "Native English speaker wanted for private lessons for my child, salary $5 per hour." I about fell off of my chair!

Mark Hemming
09-10-2011, 23:07
I'm sure I've seen adverts for teaching jobs in Ekaterinburg. Try checking tefl.com for jobs under the "search by country" option.

Bels
09-10-2011, 23:48
What do believe the market rate is for a private EFL teacher is in Moscow area, especially western region. I personally never accept anything less now than 1500p per academic hour. And tht is at my place. Costs are divided from this figure with small groups. This is at my local classroom of course. Prices could be much higher I have to travel, and have the time. Visiting homes for examle, wow! unreliable and might be a high cost in time, diluting your income.

Recently I was browsing jobs in. Kiev and was amazed when I came across an ad! "Native English speaker wanted for private lessons for my child, salary $5 per hour." I about fell off of my chair!

Bels
09-10-2011, 23:58
Sorry. I have been searching all over the place and can find nothing. I tried your sour suggestion in tefl.com and found this for all of Russia

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/results.html?searchOpts%5Bage%5D=&searchOpts%5Bcou_id%5D=177&searchOpts%5BtitleKeywords%5D=&searchOpts%5Bjo_category%5D=0&searchOpts%5Bec_id%5D=0&x=32&y=4

The point is why do you want to teach in a specific area. In fact why do you want to be employed at all as an EFL teacher. You do realize there is no money in it, and that you could be better off working in a hotel in anypart of the world, or why not a house servant somewhere.

I'm sure I've seen adverts for teaching jobs in Ekaterinburg. Try checking tefl.com for jobs under the "search by country" option.

Larry Paradine
10-10-2011, 22:27
A few weeks ago a Samara based company (British-American Linguistic Centre; formerly known as Volga Centre for information and Education) advertised on TEFL.com for teachers in several Russian cities, including Ekaterinburg, where they don't have schools. I've often worked for BALC and can honestly say it's a good firm to work for, but it seems they put in the adverts acting as agents for some other schools, and I don't have details about them. However, the following week, BALC put the same ad in TEFL.com but with the additional information that preference would be given to applicants already living in those cities. In effect, this means that they don't want (or perhaps can't) provide visa support and accommodation to teachers who aren't already in Ekaterinburg (let alone in Russia). They've now stopped advertising, so the vacancy may have been filled.

In an earlier post (in the Teachers' File), I've mentioned a few pluses and minuses about working in the provinces. Don't take any notice of BELS, or of anyone else who only knows the Moscow scene, but look at my previous posts and those of others on the subject of teaching in the provinces: and you could always look at posts on the subject in the eslcafe.com site (known to disgruntled ex members like me as the Greasy Spoon). I'm not going to repeat advice I've given before but do make sure that your future employer can get a teacher (преподователь) visa for you (no other visa will do) and that a free, single (not shared) flat is part of the package.

Bels
10-10-2011, 23:35
Bels only knows the Moscow scene? :) correction!. But not only that BELS only knows the Moscow western region scene, in Rublevka area of which I have lived and worked. Of which although many think the rich area of oligarchs, we are only talking about of potential EFL customers, whereas Moscow itself has a much bigger percentage of potential EFL customers who can afford group or one to one. So yes it can be highly competitive here in comparison to the high volume of customers available in major cities such as Moscow.

Also I totally agree with you and have advised the same. Anyone coming to Russia must get this teachers' visa. There are only other alternatives if you happen to be married to a Russian spouse.

But don't underestimate my knowledge, as I have listened and learnt from other members here and ESLcafe for the past seven years, and this advice and knowledge has been valuable to me, and of which I have passed onto others.

A few weeks ago a Samara based company (British-American Linguistic Centre; formerly known as Volga Centre for information and Education) advertised on TEFL.com for teachers in several Russian cities, including Ekaterinburg, where they don't have schools. I've often worked for BALC and can honestly say it's a good firm to work for, but it seems they put in the adverts acting as agents for some other schools, and I don't have details about them. However, the following week, BALC put the same ad in TEFL.com but with the additional information that preference would be given to applicants already living in those cities. In effect, this means that they don't want (or perhaps can't) provide visa support and accommodation to teachers who aren't already in Ekaterinburg (let alone in Russia). They've now stopped advertising, so the vacancy may have been filled.

In an earlier post (in the Teachers' File), I've mentioned a few pluses and minuses about working in the provinces. Don't take any notice of BELS, or of anyone else who only knows the Moscow scene, but look at my previous posts and those of others on the subject of teaching in the provinces: and you could always look at posts on the subject in the eslcafe.com site (known to disgruntled ex members like me as the Greasy Spoon). I'm not going to repeat advice I've given before but do make sure that your future employer can get a teacher (преподователь) visa for you (no other visa will do) and that a free, single (not shared) flat is part of the package.

Bels
10-10-2011, 23:48
I really do have to back to the fact that you need to investigate that this particular are has a population of people with good income, otherwise you can honestly say that you are not going to have regular work, and that your income may well be low and you have to question whether you will be paid for the work you have done. You must also ask yourself as to why you want to work in this area.

Andrei
20-02-2012, 22:57
In Ekaterinburg, rates for English lessons are twice lower than in Moscow. On the other hand, there are almost no native speaker teachers of English. If you find clients from big companies, it is possible to make a decent living there