PDA

View Full Version : Are we doing the right thing?!!!

aarden
07-09-2007, 23:05
Hi everyone
My husband, son and I are moving to Moscow in the next few months from England. We've a place for my 8 year old at the English International School and my husband will be working at Gasheka St in the west. Has anyone also got a child at the same school who could advise us on a good area to rent an apartment? Wondering how long it would take to get to the school if we lived on the west side or if we would be better going for somewhere in the middle! Also if anyone has some gems of wisdom that will make our relocation easier that would be marvellous. Like - are we really doing the right thing!!!

hka
08-09-2007, 07:47
Check your pm, I sent you a message.

WilliamFTH
08-09-2007, 08:50
Hi everyone
My husband, son and I are moving to Moscow in the next few months from England. We've a place for my 8 year old at the English International School and my husband will be working at Gasheka St in the west. Has anyone also got a child at the same school who could advise us on a good area to rent an apartment? Wondering how long it would take to get to the school if we lived on the west side or if we would be better going for somewhere in the middle! Also if anyone has some gems of wisdom that will make our relocation easier that would be marvellous. Like - are we really doing the right thing!!!
The answer is in your heart

HVJ
08-09-2007, 13:32
Try to find a place to live with the shortest transport time to the school. Be aware that even though it might look close on a map, in reality it can take forever to get there. Depends on the traffic, which is awful here.

If I could do it all over again I would live for a while longer in a temporary apartment and do a testdrive before moving into to any longterm place.

I have only heard good about the english international school.

Good Luck ! :)

SovietTwins
08-09-2007, 18:21
Listen to your heart - it's not the correct solution of this problem.
What profession of your husband?
You can to find the international school for your child, but it will be the problem - to find the flat near from the school and workplace.
In Moscow - prices for room and apartamen rent - is very high!
~1000USD for 20Square Meters. It's 1 room and 1 kitchen.
In center of the town - prices very high! And of course - not so good quality of apartaments.
Live in Russia - it's not live in Thailand, or Europe. It's - very different and sometimes - very difficult live.
But if you want to have some freedom - you can go in Russia.
What reason to moving in Moscow?
I can give more quality consultation, if you said me reason. :-)
If you REAL want to be in Russia - you will be in Russia. :-)

Baracuda
08-09-2007, 18:59
Unless you have a good reason for coming here.. I think its not a good idea, If its a job it must be well over 6000$ for a family!

WilliamFTH
08-09-2007, 22:36
Unless you have a good reason for coming here.. I think its not a good idea, If its a job it must be well over 6000$ for a family!
Bara,

I think Bels is right on the other polls of mine about cost of living....

As an expat that spoiled for “quality of life” else where it is expensive to live as I’m still in Malaysia. The fruit here is so expensive not to mentioned green. Now I understand what Bels mean………

And you are right too bro, local can survive as they are use to what they have and have not experience some part of the world where living is cheaper.

hka
09-09-2007, 08:40
I thought the main issue in this thread was school/finding a flat relatively close to the school etc, etc.... but I might have misunderstood something. As for 'doing the right thing' - I think we all want to do the right thing for our children all the time - but you'll never be sure until they're out of the house, right? They'll have lots of positive experiences in an international environment and I personally think ( and I have to believe) that in the long run the hardships of the first few weeks will be balanced by the positives gaineed. And if you stay in the UK, you'll still have no guarantees.
Moscow's great if you want it to be great and there's a huge expat community here, mums, kids, families in the same situation as you, a huge support group. Do not worry too much.

maria rosaria
13-09-2007, 22:00
Hi! I'm an italian woman just arrived in Moscow with one kid 15 y.o. and my american husband. We are living in the center close to the Cremlin and my son goes to the English International School n.3, in the south of the city. From the center I can tell you that takes about one hour. When will you be here in Moscow? I wuol like to talk more.
Bye
Rosie

ezik
13-09-2007, 22:17
Hi everyone

WilliamFTH is right - you have to decide yourself whether it is the right thing to do.

However, Moscow is good to live, and once you have the school and location sorted out, you will feel at ease for definite.

One tip:
Get a map and check locations (school, job, etc). Then, for a few (early) mornings, get on to Yandex.ru and watch the traffic jams on the map. This will give you a reasonable idea.

hka
14-09-2007, 21:15
Hi! I'm an italian woman just arrived in Moscow with one kid 15 y.o. and my american husband. We are living in the center close to the Cremlin and my son goes to the English International School n.3, in the south of the city. From the center I can tell you that takes about one hour. When will you be here in Moscow? I wuol like to talk more.
Bye
Rosie

Hi Rosie,
the school your son goes to is I think the British International School. The English International School is a totally different one and it's in the east, in Novogireevo.

Avesss
17-09-2007, 12:18
I've already answered you to your PM but forgot to ask if transfer to the school is available?

Regards,
Aleksey

aarden
11-10-2007, 19:13
Hi Rosie, we arrive in January, my son and I. My husband arrives in November to start his job and look at apartments for us.