PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in moscow are crap

Joseph
29-09-2011, 20:21
Why is it that restaurants/cafes/pubs in moscow are universally crap! Okay, there may be one or two exceptions, but almost invariably the staff are surly, the portions are small, and the prices are massively inflated. I can give lots of examples, as I'm sure a lot of people here can... Today, I went to a small pub and bought a steak and kidney pie - at about 400 rubles, I would have expected some chips with it at least - back home 400 rubles should buy you quite a substantial meal - but all i got was a crappy pie that had hardly any meat in it! I can cite a hundred other experiences - like when I went to an Italian themed restaurant, ordered spaghetti bolognese - and got something that looked like it come out of a heinz tin.... And the business lunches are hardly anything to write home about. Okay, you get about two courses - but they're usually tiny. For the same price - about 200-300 rubles - back in england you could probably go to a wetherspoons and have a filling meal there...i would be quite prepared to pay quite a bit of money for a good dinner - but here they just seem to be constantly trying to rip you off - so that there's no actual correlation between the price you pay and the quality of the meal.... plus, what is it with the price of drinks here? 350 rubles for a pint? Is that intended as a joke (well, actually, it's more like 350 rubles for half a pint, as it seems barmen here are so incompetent they're incapable of pulling a pint that doesn't have a lot of head on it)

mds45
29-09-2011, 20:39
I can 100% agree beer ( sorry tea) at Booze Bup is poured to perfection, Kostya is the best barman in Moscow)))

FatAndy
29-09-2011, 20:46
I'm a bartender here and I pour a perfect pint.
...and it costs...? ;)

soprty
29-09-2011, 20:49
I can 100% agree beer ( sorry tea) at Booze Bup is poured to perfection, Kostya is the best barman in Moscow)))

And they have the most perfect crushed ice and free limes I have seen anywhere...DID I MENTION LIMES ARE FREE?????
If you want a treat go there and order a Soprty but remember to drink responsibly :D

FatAndy
29-09-2011, 20:57
There is no sense to compare Moscow with home. It is different places with different situations. Yes, Moscow is much more expensive.
Continue to search till you find smth decent or cook yourself.
BTW, drinks here aren't measured by pints. If we speak about beer, then they have 0.25 L, 0.33 L, 0.5 L, 1L (maybe 2L too) beer mugs/glasses.
Price is usually 80 to 500 rub per 0.5 L, depending on which beer you order (brand, imported or local etc.), how restaurant position itself, location etc.

<...> a steak and kidney pie - at about 400 rubles, I would have expected some chips with it at least - back home 400 rubles should buy you quite a substantial meal <...> For the same price - about 200-300 rubles - back in england you could probably go to a wetherspoons and have a filling meal there...i would be quite prepared to pay quite a bit of money for a good dinner - but here they just seem to be constantly trying to rip you off - so that there's no actual correlation between the price you pay and the quality of the meal.... plus, what is it with the price of drinks here? 350 rubles for a pint?

Parco
29-09-2011, 22:33
Surly/uncaring staff: if you sack them, their replacement will be just the same.

Food standards: without effective food standards agencies, i.e. Michelen/AA, there is no means to guarantee quality.

Wetherspoons: is an effective business aimed at savvy customers, food distribution is cheaper in the UK, rents are lower, not just business in London but in almost every town with a disposable income to some degree.

Comparing Moscow (Russia) to UK is like comparing apples and pears. The key is to find a good place, build loyalty - get to know the owners and you might be offered a discount card or other perks.

xSnoofovich
29-09-2011, 22:53
about 200-300 rubles - back in england you could probably go to

300 rubles @ current exchange rates = 6 pounds or 9.4 dollars USD

For that kind of money, you aren't going to be eating anywhere except fast food, at least in the US.

I think the last time I was in Heathrow, I bought a beer for 12 pounds.

AndreyS
29-09-2011, 23:06

For that kind of money, you aren't going to be eating anywhere except fast food, at least in the US.

I heard they locals call it Deathrow.
Those airports! I once bought a (plastic!!!) cup of tea at Domodedovo for 250 roubles. In 2005 though. Nowadays it looks more civilized.

mds45
29-09-2011, 23:10
I will make sure only Kostya serves you.

Bozhe moi how long am I going to wait for another beer !!! Okay okay I retract !! Pete is the best barman in Moscow !!!

MashaMsc
30-09-2011, 01:14
you gotta know right places, like everywhere!

and there are some really good and tasty places in Moscow!)

don`t hesitate to ask advice, if you need))

have you been to BEEFBAR JUNIOR in Ukraina hotel? try it! you will not regret)) ( if you are Not vegeterian:)

martpark
30-09-2011, 01:43

Never. Here's Terminal 5, the newest terminal. Price: 3.30 or 165rub (at an airport). http://www.travelswithbeer.com/2010/09/07/the-5-tuns-heathrow-airport/

Avg price of a beer in Britain in 2009 was 2.75sterling or 137 rubles. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article5435780.ece

You might want to backpedal on that last statement. Of course, your memory might be hazy from the grog.

xSnoofovich
30-09-2011, 09:44
You might want to backpedal on that last statement.

Nope, that place looks great, but that wasn't where I had my beer. But thanks for playing.

Periwinkle
30-09-2011, 11:23
I like coffeemania (they have nice food).
Recently tried Montaltos as per recommendation from this site. Service was good - food as well.
Also Cafe Manor has been redone - worth checking out as well. Super yummy strawberry pie seen there recently.

FatAndy
30-09-2011, 13:50
Agree. This one is especially good:
http://coffeemania.ru/pages/item:294

I like coffeemania (they have nice food).

AndreyS
30-09-2011, 14:00
Agree. This one is especially good:
http://coffeemania.ru/pages/item:294
Yes, it's nice. But prices are high, look: 290 r. for a portion of porridge...

cookbook13
30-09-2011, 14:05
if you're interested in indian food, aroma is fantastic, and the staff is super friendly.

MashaMsc
30-09-2011, 14:27
Beefbar Junior was the worst steak I have had in Moscow. And overpriced, as most Moscow steakhouses are.

well, maybe russians have a different taste))

I always put more salt in my food than my friends, and I like this place)

anyway, what would you recommend?:)

Parco
30-09-2011, 14:54
Does anyone know if the pizzas are still good in Akademia? (Kamergerskiy per.)

moscowmail
30-09-2011, 14:59
if you're interested in indian food, aroma is fantastic, and the staff is super friendly.

100% agree, they are reasonably priced, great food and helpful, and deliver almost anywhere, the best Indian in town by far

FatAndy
30-09-2011, 15:34
I hate porridge... and the price is right, perverts must pay more... :D

Yes, it's nice. But prices are high, look: 290 r. for a portion of porridge...

Rexy
30-09-2011, 15:42
Being a very poor girl, I had to find something I can afford. Here is my list of places with bearable prices:

Pod muchoy - http://menu.ru/places/show/place/625299 Not very expensive drinks but as for food there are only pastas and salads, but you can choose the ingredients for them.

Petrovich club - http://www.club-petrovich.ru/eng/. Soviet style buffet lunches cost there 180 rubels! And the interior is cool there.

O.G.I. - http://www.proektogi.ru/contacts/. Cheap drinks, but don't expect a good service.

Masterskaya near the Big Theater is a very nice and cosy place too.

Taras Bulba - Ukrainian national cuisine. Very tasty.

Gogol, Esenin, Kvartira 44 are also not very expensive and pleasant to sit in with a bunch of friends.

Adequate bier prices and choice are in Molly Malone pub on Baumanskaya.

When I am really hungry and don't have much money I drop in such catering chain restaurants as:

Mumu, Elki-Palki, Grabli - everywhere in Moscow.

I hope this information will help you.

AndreyS
30-09-2011, 17:19
Yes, at Petrovich and OGI porridge costs 50 - 55 r. which looks sort of reasonable.

soprty
30-09-2011, 17:55

Not sure if I remember correctly but I think this is where there was an Epxat party about 1 year ago and I also remember the food being very tasty.

AndreyS
30-09-2011, 17:57
Not sure if I remember correctly but I think this is where there was an Epxat party about 1 year ago and I also remember the food being very tasty.

Soprty, it was 15 Oct 2010. And the food was free! Thx to Ezik!

Joe Kilroy
30-09-2011, 18:03
Listen -

Taras Bulba

Mu Mu

All you need.

Never buy food or drinks in ANY airport. Unless you are too rich to care.

Self-respecting Russians cook at home. Get some friends, get invited.

FatAndy
30-09-2011, 22:27
Well, Mu-Mu was not bad when they started... now a bit worse... but popular tray slide system cafe. Taras Bul'ba maybe yes, but more expensive, like restaurant.

Joe Kilroy
01-10-2011, 01:48
ok.

KROSHKA KARTOSHKA! :D

FatAndy
01-10-2011, 11:39
TEREMOK!

anyutkin
03-10-2011, 14:03
Why is it that restaurants/cafes/pubs in moscow are universally crap! Okay, there may be one or two exceptions, but almost invariably the staff are surly, the portions are small, and the prices are massively inflated. I can give lots of examples, as I'm sure a lot of people here can... Today, I went to a small pub and bought a steak and kidney pie - at about 400 rubles, I would have expected some chips with it at least - back home 400 rubles should buy you quite a substantial meal - but all i got was a crappy pie that had hardly any meat in it! I can cite a hundred other experiences - like when I went to an Italian themed restaurant, ordered spaghetti bolognese - and got something that looked like it come out of a heinz tin.... And the business lunches are hardly anything to write home about. Okay, you get about two courses - but they're usually tiny. For the same price - about 200-300 rubles - back in england you could probably go to a wetherspoons and have a filling meal there...i would be quite prepared to pay quite a bit of money for a good dinner - but here they just seem to be constantly trying to rip you off - so that there's no actual correlation between the price you pay and the quality of the meal.... plus, what is it with the price of drinks here? 350 rubles for a pint? Is that intended as a joke (well, actually, it's more like 350 rubles for half a pint, as it seems barmen here are so incompetent they're incapable of pulling a pint that doesn't have a lot of head on it)

Sorry just you were not lucky in finding nice places. Try Trattoria Venezia at the beginning on Tverskaya

Anna

tvadim133
03-10-2011, 21:32
I have just returned from Paris......sorry, but the service and restaurants (the majority) in Moscow are more than good..... even perfect ,of course, in comparison with France.

Sure the food is better there (I like the way the cook cheese cake there, esp. and portions of meal are "bigger" and "larger"), but there service....... more than crap....and for those prices!!!!!!

TolkoRaz
03-10-2011, 22:09
I have just returned from Paris......sorry, but the service and restaurants (the majority) in Moscow are more than good..... even perfect ,of course, in comparison with France.

Sure the food is better there (I like the way the cook cheese cake there, esp. and portions of meal are "bigger" and "larger"), but there service....... more than crap....and for those prices!!!!!!

I hadn't realised that Russians are now being employed in Paris' eating houses! :p

Ochin Zhal - I was just about to book a trip to Paris! :cry:

tvadim133
03-10-2011, 22:30
I hadn't realised that Russians are now being employed in Paris' eating houses! :p

I do not know as for russians, who are "employed"! :)

I "met" more french guys (smth about 40-50 y.o. whose destiny probably is to work in cafes for ever (untill the death) and no chances to be promoted to any higher levels ( is being barmen a higher level?).

Well, in one cafes in Saint Germen de Pres, there was a serb indeed (not french), who was ignoring two ladies form Japan completely and one couple from UK.

Working in sales and marketing I was in shock and even asked a manager of the cafe to help (the ladies and the couple were very thankful for me).

Ok, on another cafe, there was a woman from Prague (as she said) and she was the best in my rating among waiters and waitresses during this stay in France.

But this cafe was in Fontainebleau, not in Paris.

well, btw, no smiles at all on their faces......

tvadim133
03-10-2011, 22:32

If you do not pay attention to locals (no matter african locals or real locals), the trip is worth making... :)

soprty
03-10-2011, 23:37
Sorry just you were not lucky in finding nice places. Try Trattoria Venezia at the beginning on Tverskaya

Anna

Food is not bad but the place is a terribly dark and smokey basement...IMHO food is not worth the horrible atmosphere

soprty
03-10-2011, 23:40

You must be one very unlucky traveler!! I think the service in most restaurants in Paris is superb and believe me, that's a very hard thing to admit being Italian!

L'oiseau bleu
04-10-2011, 09:14
I d agree with TVadim that service in Paris restaurant is really bad. I ve got a feeling that I owe these people just for the fact of being a guest in their restaurant. As for Italian places, at least I understand them - they do not pretend and smile when they do not want to, this is true, but they are able to like people around and cheers them with great hospitality.
And yes, the food in Paris and Italy (everywhere) is way better than in Russia (and than in Uk).

justbe
04-10-2011, 14:08
The irony of a Russian complaining about bad service...

Sorry chief, but I have been all over the world and Russia has the worst service anywhere.

Drtnsnw, it is all about attitude, not about situation. How can a man who refuses to help other people, get help in case of need? How can a parent expect that his kid would take care of him / her when get older if humiliates a kid? Millions of hows and ifs. Sorry, it works all the time, yep.

robertmf
04-10-2011, 18:30
If you do not pay attention to locals (no matter african locals or real locals), the trip is worth making... :)

:cussing: Same for Turkey - too many Turks.

:confused: :jester:

FatAndy
04-10-2011, 18:35
Don't continue, gents, otherwise I'll quote Igor Guberman about Israel ;)

robertmf
04-10-2011, 18:38
... And yes, the food in Paris and Italy (everywhere) is way better than in Russia (and than in Uk).

Now that you make the comparison, IMhO "the food" :lick: (itself, not services) is better in Russia than in the UK esp. ye olde limeyland. The exception would be the working class pub food; good & cheap.

ezik
04-10-2011, 19:23
Sisters Grimm
http://www.facebook.com/sistersgrimm (Столешников переулок, 11, so that's metro Kuznetsky Most?)
Nice food, friendly staff, reasonably priced, cozy interior. Gogol is in the same dvor. One of my favourites. Also took the kids to Sisters Grimm and they were very friendly to them, bringing out toys, etc. Trying to convince them to accept the Expat.ru card.

Aromatnye Reka
Two locations. One is on Savelovskaya, can't miss it. The other is on Tokmakov Pereyulok (m. Baumanksaya or Kurskaya). Vietnamese food, very well prepared, low prices, friendly service. You probably speak better Russian than they do, though.

Mimino (m. Baumanksaya or Kurskaya)
Georgian kitchen, probably the best in Moscow. Small, but easy to find on Staraya Basmannaya. Again, service is with a smile and the prices are far from high.

Cherdak / MrLee (m Kuznetsky Most)
Cherdak is in the attic and one of our sponsors (http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=333806), meaning you get a discount. Best fresh pizza I had in Moscow so far (check the Wednesday special!). A topping with some proper fresh garlic mixed with fresh tomatoes deserves appreciation.
I've visited MrLee a few times in the past and as I know and like Chinese food, I liked MrLee. Only REAL sharkfin soup in Moscow.
Prices are a bit higher than elsewhere, but quality is great. And I do disagree with the Restaurant review it got on the main part of Expat.ru.

Agree with the thumbs up for Aroma, Kvartira44 (all locations).

robertmf
04-10-2011, 19:50
Cherdak / MrLee (m Kuznetsky Most)

I've visited MrLee a few times in the past and as I know and like Chinese food, I liked MrLee. Only REAL sharkfin soup in Moscow.

What does sharkfin soup taste like :question: :brush:

http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/2925/1982/11/03/Sharks-Fin-Soup/recipe.html

HSE/Environmental Pr
04-10-2011, 22:39

As said one of the guys from music world to the question of journalists with regard why he didn't request what he needed for his music programme to local (Moscow) professionals "everything what is normally done by them is low quality and very high cost"

TolkoRaz
04-10-2011, 22:43
:cussing: Same for Turkey - too many Turks.

:confused: :jester:

I have just spent over 2 weeks in Turkey (Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir) on work and noted that Turkey was awash with tourists; there were many Russians there spending their hard earned money ;)

Food was scrumptious, service was excellent, quite expensive, but on the whole, a great destination to enjoy food, nightlife, the coastal resorts and, of course, a fascinating history and culture :)

robertmf
04-10-2011, 22:56
I have just spent over 2 weeks in Turkey (Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir) on work and noted that Turkey was awash with tourists; there were many Russians there spending their hard earned money ;)

Food was scrumptious, service was excellent, quite expensive, but on the whole, a great destination to enjoy food, nightlife, the coastal resorts and, of course, a fascinating history and culture :)

The Black Sea coast is quite good and not nearly as expensive as the typical touristy Izmir and the like along the Med coast. Inland offers mucho little unless you like boar hunting.

natlee
06-10-2011, 10:33
I'd say I'm relatively well-travelled. I've had horrible service in many places, my worst experience having been New York and Miami (years ago though) - for the major part, they'd forget to bring up to half the order and in Miami, of course, the waiters didn't even speak English :D I've had bad service in Moscow, surely (Temple Bar on Baumanskaya being the absolute worst!!) but more often than not I get excellent service, especially these days. As for the food and the prices... I'd say the prices are comparable to the rest of Europe (well ok the more expensive parts, maybe) and the food is, of course, better in France and Italy, no doubt about it. Having said that, I had two pretty bad meals in Italy this year... so sh.. er crap happens. Everywhere ;)

FatAndy
06-10-2011, 11:26
The best service I ever had in cafe and hotel was "Lazurny bereg" (small private hotel) in Svetlogorsk, Baltic coast, Kaliningrad region (2005).

Second one was "Skomorohi" restaurant in Novosibirsk (2008).

Third one was again in Novosibirsk, this year, "U Solokhi".

In US and EU restaurants the service was good, but not outstanding. But crap happens. Everywhere - natlee is right.

Joseph
06-10-2011, 11:43
Thanks to everyone for suggestions - i'll check them out! good to know that there are at least a few places out there where it's possible to get a tasty, reasonably priced meal.

Of course, I do concede that there are bad restaurants in UK, Europe and America. I mean, that's a given - but problem with Moscow is that it seems to me more the rule rather than the exception. Here, the service and the prices are in general so bad that what would be considered just an average place back home would be seen as very good over here. I've talked to quite a lot of Russians and they all seem to agree on this point. In fact, many of my Russian friends when they go abroad say they are constantly amazed by how large the portions are and the comparatively cheap prices...

Dje
11-10-2011, 22:20
Sorry chief, but I have been all over the world and Russia has the worst service anywhere.

I somehow disagree... In Paris it's usually worse... (I'm French).
But ok, let's say that when in Paris, the service is rarely good, in Moscow it's sometimes great (yeah some learned to smile:D) but when it's bad, I agree, it's just terrible...

The main problem with Moscow's restaurants is the ratio price/quality of the food... It's better than a few years ago (more and more "reasonable prices" restaurants opened) but still waaaaaay too expensive for what you eat:-(