PDA

View Full Version : Alimov against Rogers

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 10:52
HAve you heard anything bout this story?:confused: i think it is really amusing :D ...does anybody know if it is still in the air? heard any recent discussions on that?:bookworm:

http://www.willeeks.com/nick/archives/000071.html

Intourist
20-11-2003, 11:46
K, Harvard Business School happenings ? Sweety, you're obviously far more erudite and academic than the rest of us numbnuts. :)

I find it interesting that well over half of the other e-mail recipients cc'd on this exchange were Russian ! What's HBS coming to ? Where are all the WASPS ? :eek:

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 12:33
Originally posted by Intourist
....you're obviously far more erudite and academic than the rest of us numbnuts. :)

hehe i just pretend to be from time to time ;)
i think tis really something and what's the most amazing tis a true story , it was even aird on NTV :D..can't imagine i missed it:eek:

as for Russians :rolleyes: we are EVERYWHERE :p

Jet
20-11-2003, 12:43
KrisTita, :) IHave u followed the discussion from the beginning? Mee too! U can find interesting comments on the issue on www.lawfirm.ru Rogers , while being a biz guru, prosto ham. Alimov is smart - i think he is tatarin - funny that he had numerous job offerings b/c of that flair.

kniga
20-11-2003, 12:52
Kshisya,

You've been hiding your brains as well as your body! Great article and one that most Americans never would have come across on our own. Thanks for sharing it with those of us who like a rousing good tussle between the Old Sultans and Young Turks!

allice
20-11-2003, 13:09
Damn. We are everywhere. (I know 2 people off of the cc list. Scarrrry.)

kniga
20-11-2003, 13:17
Allice,

You've got that right. In the not very large city of Jacksonville, Florida there are some 15,000 Russians...and this is a LONG way from Breiton Beach!

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 13:24
Kniga knowing that you are fluent in Russian here is some more info on this :) some ppl's opinion is that Alimov actually made a fool of himself writing such a letter (my oppinion is completely the opposite) and pity that there was more noise about this case here than in the States ;)
Дмитрий АЛИМОВ
Родился в
1974 г.
в Самаре. Изучал прикладную математику и вычислительную технику в Самарском государственном аэрокосмическом университете.
Окончил с высшим отличием (summa cum laude).
Получил звание
бакалавра в Университете штата Миссури в г. Сент-Луисе (США) по специальности деловое администрирование (финансы)
. Вернувшись обратно в Россию, начал свою карьеру в департаменте слияний и поглощений инвестиционного банка
«Ренессанс Капитал»
. Затем работал в группе «Спутник», сначала отвечал за инвестиции в медиасектор и сектор высоких технологий, затем занял пост вице-президента компании.
На следующем месте работы, в
«Газпром-Медиа»
, Дмитрий Алимов занимал должность первого заместителя генерального директора и члена совета директоров телевизионного канала ТНТ

В настоящий момент Дмитрий Алимов – кандидат на степень MBA в Гарвардской школе бизнеса в Бостоне (США) и имеет звание Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
. В свободное время
Дмитрий летает на самолетах в качестве частного пилота, катается на горных лыжах, занимается подводным плаванием и путешествует по миру. Владеет английским и испанским языками.

Jet
20-11-2003, 13:28
Kris, hhhm, well his bio is OK, what r u trying to say??

Intourist
20-11-2003, 13:29
I could do and be all that if I wanted to. I just choose not to.

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 13:44
Originally posted by Jet Li
Kris, hhhm, well his bio is OK, what r u trying to say??

to you? :rolleyes: noFing :p

Jet
20-11-2003, 13:48
KrisTit, i was justr trying to make a conversation :)

Jet
20-11-2003, 13:49
btw except for flying the planes, who isn't skiing or scuba dyving or travelling?

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 14:17
J-Lo i just showed that tis not some nerd but seems a really smart, young, selfmade professional...:rolleyes: ...with good education and great career background...

KrisTit, i was justr trying to make a conversation :)

oh yea ;) and ...

allice
20-11-2003, 14:20
I got plenty of that where I went to school. Yak. K, I think you did as well. :rolleyes:

Jet
20-11-2003, 14:21
KrisTit, o yeah, it was obvious, otherwise how would he end up in Harvard business school. We need more such professionals in every sphere to work in Russia. U know there is a an association of russian-speaking graduates of prestigious MBA programs called www.Clumba.com Unfortunatelly, most of them work abroad.

kniga
20-11-2003, 15:18
Kshisya,

Ну, кажется, что он высокообразованный молодой человек и я признаюсь в том, что мне понравились его невозмутимые ответы на резкую критику и едкий сарказм этого Джаймса Роджерса. :-)

Jet
20-11-2003, 15:44
Rogers made a mistake by getting so upset with the comments that contravene his words, but then again he is not a professor, just giving lectures on how he makes money. The question is, will Alimov go back to Russia after getting MBA from Harvard??

kniga
20-11-2003, 15:57
Jet Li,

It is very easy to get "corrupted" by the good life in the USA, so only time will tell whether or not he will go back to contribute to the Motherland.

Jet
20-11-2003, 16:08
But that's the main question, if u look at my refrence to www.clumba.com the main bulk of graduates stays in the West, so whatever Alimov says, if he stays in the West, which is more likely, he is not a Man

kniga
20-11-2003, 16:25
Jet Li,

You and I have talked via PM for the need to stop the brain drain from Russia, but it is a difficult problem if the well educated young Russian cannot find a job in Russia and the graybeard experts have lost theirs. It is no surprise that those who are able to leave Russia to find better opportunities. That's why half of Mexico has slipped over the border into the U.S. Frankly, we could use more Russian scientists and fewer yard workers, but Mexico is a lot closer than Russia and is next to a nearly unguarded border.

Jet
20-11-2003, 16:47
Kniga,
but there is no way everybody can go to the West, the problem with MBA is that they want six figure salaries, so 50K in Russian won't be enough for them

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 16:48
Kniga :) i also just respected the guy's behaviour and style in this actually pretty one way dialog ;)....он вел себя более, чем достойно :) respect!

J-Lo he WILL be back to Russia and keep on working here :p

Jet
20-11-2003, 16:54
KrisTit, r u sure? he said during his perepalka that he will go back, but... obeshaty ne znachit zhenitsya!

kniga
20-11-2003, 16:54
Jet Li,

The problem with MBAs is that they think they are worth six-figure salaries and they are not because what they have is a lot of university theory and little or no practical experience. If they come from well connected families, they get jobs at their parents' friends' companies and are allowed the privilege of acquiring a few years of seasoning. Then their MBAs become worth something.

Jet
20-11-2003, 17:02
Kniga,
I agree, but there is a certain expectation is building up during their studies and socializing with the "fat kids", so understandably they want at least 100 K per year starting salary, u can't find it in Russia. IBS has hired Russian MBA Harvard graduate, inside info tells me in one year he didn't bring a single project in!! But he sent a PR wave for the company: Russian MBA's are back.

There is a wider issue of Western (US) business culture and ethics that takes generations to build. And even then there is no guarantees of impecable business integrity, Enron and over 40 recent arrest on the Wall Street are witness to this. So, ther is a need for really massive MBA graduates presence in Russia, and more importantly the years of experience in which Alimovs will prove themselves beyond Harvard yard discussions

Kshisya
20-11-2003, 17:05
KrisTit, r u sure? he said during his perepalka that he will go back, but... obeshaty ne znachit zhenitsya!

well :rolleyes: in case of SOME ppl i wouldn't disagree...if the story was bout you I actually wouldn't have ANY doubts the words are nothing more than blablabla :p

Jet
20-11-2003, 17:11
KrisTit, I have to admit I am on the lower level than ur bf Alimov, as far as job opportunities concern, but I am coming back , working on it

Zhdi menja

kniga
20-11-2003, 17:14
Jet Li,

Good points all, especially about the different moral business cultures. But, having Russian MBAs is not necessarily the panacea for Russian business development. Russian companies today are hiring more locals and fewer expats than formerly to 1) save money and 2) as a matter of Russian pride. The point is, as will be pointed out by any expat who has had to work for a Russian manager who is inadequately trained for his managerial responsibilities, the money saved on the local employee's salary is quickly lost in the inefficiencies spawned by his incompetence. Not an easy problem for money squeezed Russian enterprises to overcome.

Ned Kelly
20-11-2003, 17:19
I'd add 3) because they're recognising there are lots of very bright people right here at home and don't need Westerners.

...i get these occasional bouts of russophilia...forgot my tablets :p

kniga
20-11-2003, 17:25
Ned Kelly,

No doubt about the competence of properly trained Russians, mate. I had the great privilege of working with a real Russian Rocket Scientist for two years and he was the smartest, best educated person I have met on Planet Earth. He also was the beneficiary of the Soviet government's great interest and complete financial support of him and his fellow scientists in the Soviet space industry. The brainpower and potential of the Russians, like their vast natural resources, require funds to support and develop and therein lies the rub.

allice
20-11-2003, 17:34
Kniga, you know, "properly trained Russians " sounds so... ooh... I donno..

kniga
20-11-2003, 17:41
Allice,

There was no insult intended. I could have as easily substituted "properly trained Americans, Germans, Pakastanis, etc." The emphasis intended was that proper training for anyone in responsible positions is a must. Still love me? :-)

allice
20-11-2003, 17:43
Kniga FOREVER :bookworm:

kniga
20-11-2003, 17:51
Allice,

ОЙ! Слава Богу! :-) :-) :-)

allice
20-11-2003, 17:54
I wonder how old your kids are. ;) :)

kniga
20-11-2003, 18:04
I have two beautiful, smart daughters who are older than you are! :-)

allice
20-11-2003, 18:10
I thought so. HUG. :)

kniga
20-11-2003, 18:11
It's why I understand you, Allice! :-) :-) :-)

allice
20-11-2003, 18:13
They don't have a *mad with joy* smilie here. :( :D

kniga
20-11-2003, 18:19
Ну, я вижу твою ослепительную улыбку все-таки! :-)