PDA

View Full Version : USA Taxes and the Non Resident Alien Spouse

Seeker
18-09-2011, 00:06
I'm wondering if someone can recommend me a decent professional or organization that can assist me in preparing my USA taxes, preferably in Moscow. I'm married to a Russian lady and we live in Moscow with our children. I am hoping for local support as I seldom travel back to the USA however our tax situation is complicated enough to justify professional help and face to face discussion before filing.

Thanks in advance
Seeker

Sackos
23-10-2011, 23:26
I'm wondering if someone can recommend me a decent professional or organization that can assist me in preparing my USA taxes, preferably in Moscow. I'm married to a Russian lady and we live in Moscow with our children. I am hoping for local support as I seldom travel back to the USA however our tax situation is complicated enough to justify professional help and face to face discussion before filing.

Thanks in advance
Seeker

Uh... why bother? Do you own assets there?

osirissail
30-01-2012, 03:39
Uh... why bother? Do you own assets there?

First off, if you are a U.S. citizen and have not renounced your US citizenship, you have to file and pay taxes in the USA on all income you have worldwide. However, there are credits for foreign taxes and exclusions for working abroad that may make your U.S. tax liability - Zero. But you still have to do the paperwork.

Renouncing will get rid of your obligation to file US Taxes, but it is a messy and difficult procedure. And you need to have a "citizenship" somewhere so unless you are a dual/triple national, this is not a good option.

The US Embassy should be able to recommend a local in Russia who has the knowledge to file US taxes - or - you can communicate by email/web with an accountant/tax lawyer in the USA who can handle your paperwork for you.

Bogatyr
30-01-2012, 20:26
Renouncing will get rid of your obligation to file US Taxes

It is illegal in the US to renounce citizenship as a way of avoiding paying income tax. It's not clear with this requirement how it's possible ever to renounce citizenship!

kaiserjjj
30-01-2012, 20:33
Ernst & Young in Moscow has people on staff that can assist. Probably not cheap but knowing it is right will make you sleep good at night.
Good Luck