PDA

View Full Version : Slavery in England???

Shooters
13-09-2011, 07:49
Disgusting :( I thought this happens only in third-world countries :((((

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/2-russian-slaves-freed-in-britain/443606.html

British police freed 24 slaves, including two Russians, in a weekend raid on a travelerís camp 60 kilometers from central London, news reports said Monday.

More than 200 police officers converged Sunday morning on the Green Acres caravan site in Leighton Buzzard, where they discovered men held in dog kennels, sheds and horse boxes, some too emaciated to eat normally.

"There were up to four men living in tiny and filthy caravans, which were unheated and old. They had no access to running water, no toilet and no washing facilities," said Jo Hobbs, a spokeswoman for Bedfordshire police, the Guardian reported.

The slaves ó two Russians, two Romanians, three Poles, and 17 British ó were allegedly forced to do grueling work, such as asphalting, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. They were between 17 and 50 years old, and at least one of them had been living there for 15 years.

"They were told by the people who had brought them here, 'you have no family now, we are your family.' If they wanted to leave they were threatened," detective chief inspector Sean OíNeil said, the Guardian reported. He added that the men received no received payment or clothes and minimal food, and were beaten if they complained.

Fifteen of the victims are receiving medical treatment, and nine have refused to cooperate with the police, the BBC reported Monday.

Four men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of running the site, which police say might have been the center of a multimillion-dollar slavery network, the Daily Mirror reported.

According to British law, holding a person in servitude is punishable by up to 14 years in prison, while exacting forced labor is punishable by up to seven years.

Parco
13-09-2011, 10:48
The Moscow Times picked up this story from The Mirror and The Sun, both red-top/yellow press newspapers. The Telegraph and Guardian had accurately reported the two 'Russians' as being one Lithuanian and one Latvian national. Due to stereo-typing in the UK, the Mirror and Sun classified these two as just being Russian.

The discovery was made on an established gypsy/traveller site. These communities are often separate from mainstream society and often crimes go undetected until someone in the community reports it. Fortunately, some people did report the crime in 2008 to the police who eventually took action.

AstarD
13-09-2011, 13:51
Eventually. Why were something like 28 incidents reported to the police since 2008 and only now the raid?

mds45
13-09-2011, 13:54
Fantastic headline on satirical website today " 60 million Brintons thought to be slaves " made me chuckle ))

TolkoRaz
13-09-2011, 15:39
Fundamentally, we are all slaves - but some of us are lucky enough to get paid more than others! :book:

AndreyS
13-09-2011, 15:49
Some of us are more equal than others. ;-)

FatAndy
13-09-2011, 17:25
Who has offended you, Pete? 8(((

The way I have seen Russians treat immigrants here, I would have been ok with all these "slaves" being Russian.

FatAndy
13-09-2011, 17:26
They were busy keeping so called democracy ;) and working on FIFO principle...

Eventually. Why were something like 28 incidents reported to the police since 2008 and only now the raid?

FatAndy
13-09-2011, 18:24
Do such things occur ONLY in Russia???

Just this weekend a Russian "lady" was SCREAMING at the sweet little woman who cleans the hallways in my building for not picking up the trash that the Russian "lady" had dropped on the floor.

TolkoRaz
13-09-2011, 22:13
Do such things occur ONLY in Russia???

Yes, of course - in the West, there are no Dvorniks or Babushki! :10310:

Have you not travelled outside the Rodina? :confused:

alouette
13-09-2011, 22:48
Yes, of course - in the West, there are no Dvorniks or Babushki! :10310:

Have you not travelled outside the Rodina? :confused:

At least in the West they speak out about it.

alouette
13-09-2011, 22:49
There is not more slavery in England than it is here.

gregor718
14-09-2011, 06:44
Fundamentally, we are all slaves - but some of us are lucky enough to get paid more than others! :book:
Exactly!

FatAndy
14-09-2011, 09:39
drtnsnw, TolkoRaz
Thank you both guys, youve just opened my eyes...:yikes:
[...going to monastery, full of repentance...:bowdown:]