PDA

View Full Version : Language course or individual lessons?

Savanna
12-09-2011, 17:42
I'm getting frustrated. Looking for a Russian group course. I have found at least 20 language schools in Moscow - they all offer exactly same course programmes!!! I cannot do 20 h/week as I have duties elsewhere, but would like to learn the Russian language. It seems I have to to take private lessons... Does anybody have experience of both individual lessons and group courses? Are individual lessons much more efficient compared to group lessons? If you know a school that you can recommend, please do... Thanks a lot for any ideas!

DavidB
12-09-2011, 18:22
I found individual lessons to be much more efficient. You should find your own tutor instead of paying some dodgy language school's markup.
http://repetitors.info/repetitor/russian/

But you'll have to organise your own visa if you need one.

mtemirov
14-09-2011, 15:49
Individual lessons are more efficient and there are plenty of people around offering private 1 to 1 lessons, sometimes in exchange for English lessons. Try yandex or vkontakte. there could be something there.

Savanna
18-09-2011, 11:27
I've decided to go for one-to-one lessons. But finding a tutor who works independently doesn't seem to be much cheaper than a teacher from a language school. In Moscow, everybody wants to rip off expats!

Inola
18-09-2011, 12:15
In Moscow, everybody wants to rip off expats!

Would you like to meet up to have a cup of coffee/tea? I treat:)

Savanna
20-09-2011, 13:17
Would you like to meet up to have a cup of coffee/tea? I treat:)

Sure I'd like to meet up for a coffee, but in my home country we always split the bill :)

mtemirov
20-09-2011, 13:33
Sure I'd like to meet up for a coffee, but in my home country we always split the bill :)

Do you mind if I join you as well? I can also buy everyone a cup of coffee))

Inola
21-09-2011, 17:13

You are in my home country now:) Have you never heard about Russians being welcoming, generous, nice to deal with etc? :AngelPray:

Do you mind if I join you as well? I can also buy everyone a cup of coffee))

Of course we don't mind:) It'll be tea for me:)

@Savanna: You see? Already 2 forum members are willing to pay for your coffee! Choose the place and time of the tea/coffee ceremony;)

Parco
22-09-2011, 00:26
I've decided to go for one-to-one lessons. But finding a tutor who works independently doesn't seem to be much cheaper than a teacher from a language school. In Moscow, everybody wants to rip off expats!

:iagree:

As an expat guy, I no longer do language exchanges ...too many times it turns into a chat in English (only) over cocktails and by Russian tradition the guy picks up the tab.

My Russian teacher in the UK, now retired, was excellent and personally knew teachers and authors like Daphne West. A strict babushka teacher, she was the best.

I feel the standards in education of Russian as a foreign language is pretty poor in Moscow (poor value for money, inconvenient programmes, poor quality teaching methods, bad teachers). Especially compared to English as a foreign language in London.

Taking private one-to-one lessons is fine for some, but I like to study to a programme, gain certificates and study to pass exams in an institution that is recognised.

What's needed is an English First type of company, perhaps called Russian First?

AndreyS
22-09-2011, 00:43
:iagree:

As an expat guy, I no longer do language exchanges ...too many times it turns into a chat in English (only) over cocktails and by Russian tradition the guy picks up the tab.

Imho, it works, you should just be strict on terms not letting it go an uncontrolled way.
Whenever I happened to find an exchange partner (female native speaker, very naturally) we agreed to meet at Mcdonalds or KFC limiting ourselves to a cup of tea. (It never cost me more than 100 r., and some partners insisted on paying themselves for their tea). Half time we spoke English, half time Russian. So it was language exchange as such. The pleasure of it was always great! It's nothing to do with having cocktails or smth, it's better! ;-)

Frida
22-09-2011, 14:42
Dear All! I am a professional Russian tutor. I graduated from the Moscow State University, Philological Department. I have taught Russian at a few Moscow language schools, including CREF and Tom's House and have been giving private lessons since 1996, providing services to companies such as Auchan, BP, Barclays bank, Renaissance Capital, Volvo and others.
If you want, you can contact me via PM or my e-mail: gfrida@yandex.ru My name is Frida.
Thanks)))

Frida
22-09-2011, 14:46
To find out more about how I teach, or see what other people have to say about studying with me check out Russian tuition testimonials.

Lessons with Frida certainly improved my Russian and helped with my work. Both my written and spoken Russian improved to the point where I work without translators. I enjoyed the lessons and Frida exceeded my expectations as a teacher of Russian language.
Mark, drilling engeneer, TNK-BP

I enjoyed the Russian lessons I took with Frida Gudim very much. She gave me the opportunity to choose material from a wide range of sources. Knowing a variety of reading and teaching materials, also beyond the usual textbooks, she successfully managed to find the most suitable and most interesting one for my professional needs. Frida met my requirements in full, and I vividly recommend her as teacher.
Philipp, lecturer, University of Basel
I can provide you with more references))) You can also contact with my current students, two of them are British teachers))))

emmanuelle
07-11-2011, 21:23
Be carefull, even if you have 20h per week, it is means academic hours, so usually it is more 40/ 45 minutes of the school, so finally you study only around 14h!
For me, I recommand you lessons in group, in which lessons are more structured and follow a program! Moreover learn in group is more funny and so more stimulating ( more opinions, personalities, different cultures and stories, ...so more conversations ! )
As russian language is quite hard to learn for european's languages native speakers, you will need support from others which will be in the same situation, and so not give up because of the difficuties of Russian grammar!
Bests regards,
Emmanuelle

Social Network
15-11-2011, 20:00
Group! It is much more fun, you get to know new people and learn quickly.

winner
15-11-2011, 23:52
I'm getting frustrated. Looking for a Russian group course. I have found at least 20 language schools in Moscow - they all offer exactly same course programmes!!! I cannot do 20 h/week as I have duties elsewhere, but would like to learn the Russian language. It seems I have to to take private lessons... Does anybody have experience of both individual lessons and group courses? Are individual lessons much more efficient compared to group lessons? If you know a school that you can recommend, please do... Thanks a lot for any ideas!

Hi. I am Russian tutor for foreigners. But I would like to say some words not about me.
It depends on you. How do you prefer to study. Try both variants.
As for me I prefer the private tutor.

winner
15-11-2011, 23:53

NOOOOO! Not everybody!

winner
16-11-2011, 00:14
You should control your exchange! As for me I have my watch: 90 min Russian and 90 min English. So everything depends on you!

I feel the standards in education of Russian as a foreign language is pretty poor in Moscow (poor value for money, inconvenient programmes, poor quality teaching methods, bad teachers). Especially compared to English as a foreign language in London.
Really??? If you had some strange guys who picked up the tab and spoke only English, your opinion doesn't surprise me!
Can u tell about inconvenient programmes?

:Taking private one-to-one lessons is fine for some, but I like to study to a programme, gain certificates and study to pass exams in an institution that is recognised.
Very nice. Good luck!

Szek
16-11-2011, 12:23
I found the combination is good if time and budget allowed. For Group, you learn the language systematically, more structured, more interactions with others. Good for the grammar (even you may not want it but having a bit to start with is curcial). Suggest twice a week. For Private, it is much more tailored to your learning speed... and if you dont understand anything you learned in the Group, you can ask the teacher to explain in more detail in the private session... also private session is more fun especially learning sth real life essentials (reading and looking for russian address :p) - you probably dont get this in class :P. Once a week is enough. For the combination, 3 times a week you have every alternative day Russian :D Fit for ppl like me just started a life in Moscow!!! Conversation is more impt than grammar for me for now.:D

lacrima
16-11-2011, 15:34
Hi, Savanna!

To my mind, private tutor is the best option especially if you just start learning Russian.
Group lessons are based on the communicative methods of teaching, which are so popular nowadays but imho a bit overestimated and overused. How will you talk to others without basic knowledge of grammar and vocabulary? So, communicative methods won't work.
On the contrary, a private teacher will adjust to your abilities and rate in studies, will make your personal curriculum and find a suitable time for your lessons.
BUT! the person you choose for a teacher should have a good command in both languages - English and Russian for you to communicate in English until you master at least some Russian.
So I advise you to find a native Russian speaker who's a high school teacher of English. Such persons usually demonstrate advanced level of English and ample knowledge of various methods of teaching.
Teaching experience also matters. Your teacher shouldn't be too young, fresh from high school, preferably middle-aged.

Good luck in your search!

kokshe
26-11-2011, 22:22
As for me, I would prefer one-to-one tuting. I dont want to be in one class with beginners like me. teacher in this case has little time for me personaly. I dont understad those who attend courses for fun. I need language not for fun but for speaking. And I would prefer to speak only with native speakers.

estre
27-11-2011, 23:24
Hello! I'm a professional Russian language teacher. I have experience in all of ways of learning|teaching Russian and other languages as well...
On my opinion, in languages excange very important to have one level of knowledges in different languages. Because if you or your partner know language better, so it's impossible for more advanced partner to avoid being leader.
what about one-to-one or group classes... well, what do you really want from studying the Russian language... I mean, studying any foreign language is a chance to find new friends, and if you find someone with whom you can practice with new language skills (after classes, at cup of coffee and so on), it's wonderful way for rapid progress. So mini-group can give you this chance... on the other hand one-to-one classes with the very good teacher can help you really to improve your knowledge...

So what do you really want from studying Russian?