PDA

View Full Version : Expired Visa

shamrock
02-09-2007, 15:57
New guy here. Wife went to Russia to visit her folks (she's a Russian citizen with a US resident card). She took along our 4 year old son who traveled on a Russian visa. Wifes trip ended up lasting a bit longer than expected and our son's visa expired. Customs control at airport (Samara) would not allow son to leave and my wife was pointed back to OVIR. Currently on the first few steps of correcting this problem...OVIR then to police for additional paperwork and authorization and then this monday, back to OVIR. Wife was advised to then visit customs control at airport once more to insure paperwork meets their approval before re-booking flights home. At the moment it would seem we have the situation under control but I'm wondering if there's any problems that might pop up...things we may be completely unaware of (dealing with government red tape...in any country...generally will bring about a few surprises). Thanks in advance if anyone can give me a heads up over hidden issues that may arise.

pmitchell72
04-09-2007, 08:22
Shamrock, you are very calm considering your child is unable to return to his home. I read a thread earlier by timmytat (search "visa problem"). One member described (her?) experiences with the same problem you have. There is a solution - it just sounds painful.
Heed government warnings never to overstay your visa welcome.
Good luck !

tgma
04-09-2007, 11:20
It sounds like the situation is under control - the problem is if OVIR had been unwilling to give you the visa extension: my guess is that for a four year old boy, and a polite request, they would be understanding, especially in the provinces. So if you have a letter from them, that would presumably extend the visa, and you should have no problem going through passport control.

I had this situation about 15 years ago - got a letter from the inviting body, went to OVIR, paid some small amount of money, and it was all pretty straightforward.

Clean32
04-09-2007, 12:34
i assume your son was not born in russia, any way has he has a russian mother, i would sajest you get his russian passport, saves a lot of work in the future

shamrock
04-09-2007, 14:19
At this point, things have gone reasonable smooth. OVIR had directed wife to local police where $185 changed hands and my wife walked away with some form of local authorization. A second trip to OVIR produced a 10 day visa. Today she goes back to customs control at airport to double check and make sure all paperwork meets with their approval (OVIR suggested this since it would allow a small window of time should other paperwork be required from customs). Currently expected to fly back home next Tuesday (9-11...how ironic). Son's visa was expired by about 30 plus days...my wifes mother was not doing well so wife decided it best to stick around. Thankfully mother is doing much better. The first couple days of this problem and I was far from calm...semi-controled panic may be a better description...phone calls to both US and Russian Embassys yielded little help. I think the biggest frustration came from the inability of anyone at either embassy being able to tell me exactly what steps would need to be taken. It almost seemed as if they knew as little as I did...scary. On the up note, our 4 year old son's Russian language skills now far exceed mine...he switches between Russian and English with no thought...pretty cool. I'll post later after wife returns from airport and her meeting with customs. Hopefully all will go smooth. Thanks again!!

shamrock
04-09-2007, 14:21
i assume your son was not born in russia, any way has he has a russian mother, i would sajest you get his russian passport, saves a lot of work in the futureSon born in US. Wife was suppose to work on that...dual citizenship....she's a bit slow on getting things going.:suspect:

shamrock
05-09-2007, 22:51
All went well with airport customs officals. Thanks again for the moral support.

tgma
06-09-2007, 10:21
Glad it worked out well.

ezik
10-09-2007, 00:23
Son born in US. Wife was suppose to work on that...dual citizenship....she's a bit slow on getting things going.:suspect:

Dual citizenship: tell her to get it done.
Paying $185 means that corrupt officials have been fed. The rates for administrative transactions here would never get that high normally.

shamrock
11-09-2007, 14:22
Dual citizenship: tell her to get it done.
Paying $185 means that corrupt officials have been fed. The rates for administrative transactions here would never get that high normally. I'm just curious on this one....would the average customs offical at the airport have been receptive to having the 'fine' paid at the time of exiting the country (hint, hint, hint as in bribe)? By the way, they're on their way home...probably in Germany right about now waiting for their next flight to the US.

tgma
11-09-2007, 19:52
My understanding at the airport is that you can hope to pay a bribe/fine at the airport if your visa is not seriously overdue (2-5 days max). There is a guy called a consul who can extend your visa. I've done this in the past - you need to make sure that you get to the airport very early, as it can be a lengthy process. And yes, it can cost about $200.