PDA

View Full Version : Thankyouthankyouthankyou

sfjohns67
18-11-2003, 09:55
I'd like to make a humble request to you, my fellow expats from all over. America will celebrate one of my favorite holidays next week, Thanksgiving Day. No matter how unpleasant their situation might be, most Americans take this day as a reminder to reflect on the good things in their lives, and to give thanks for them. I'm no different, except that being a huge sap, tend to wax pretty rhapsodic on a year-round basis.

I also maintain a personal website, to which I often post essays (somewhat self-indulgent, I admit) about various ideas, events, holidays, etc. To be honest, the website is mostly for the benefit of my family and closest friends back in the US, as it gives me the chance to share with them my impressions of living abroad, as well as photos thereof. My mom and dad are particularly fascinated with hearing about life in Russia, thus they're usually the target audience sitting on my shoulder whenever I write for my site.

Here's where my request comes in: In conjunction with the holiday, I intend to write an essay about, you guessed it, the things in my life for which I am thankful. As I'm not the only expat over here (duh!), though, I think my family and other readers might find it very interesting to read about some of your impressions. Soooooo....if you would be so kind, please think about where you are, what you're doing, who you're doing it with (and you can take that any way you please ;) ), and tell me about the things for which you are thankful. You can either post them here to this thread (ulterior motive = a hopefully interesting thread), or send them to me in a private email at sfjinmoscow@hotmail.com.

A bit o' clarification for the masses:
1. This is not an invitation to an America-vs-the-world flame war - please be polite, as I make this request politely.
2. Be honest - if you really feel you have nothing good going in your life, tell me that and tell me WHY. I'll get you some help.
3. Be forewarned that I will clean up grammar and spelling. No offense, but whatever I post on my site needs to be clear, forays into written vernacular aside (kniga knows wut ah'm tawkin' about).
4. I don't promise to use every one of your entries...applicability, length of the essay, time and my own laziness will drive that particular boat.

One structure approach I am considering is to lay out my own thoughts first, tie them in with the "life of an expat" phenomenon, then list each of your entries and attribute them. With that in mind (and this is entirely optional), please include your current location and name (can be real or nick).

Site admin: please alert me if there are any copyright issues with posting elsewhere that which was posted here first.

Teutonic Deity
18-11-2003, 11:06
Site admin: please alert me if there are any copyright issues with posting elsewhere that which was posted here first.

No problem :-)