PDA

View Full Version : Is registration checked upon leaving Pulkovo airport?

Ales
31-08-2007, 17:19
I have a 1-year business visa and have registration from Moscow which will expire soon. I am currently in St.Petersburg and will be leaving the country (flying out of Pulkovo) in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me if I need to re-register now in St.Petersburg and how to do this? I have no landlord here and my employer is in Moscow. Is it possible to register at the post office? Most importantly, anyone who has travelled recently - please let me know if registration slips are checked at the airport.

Len Ganley Stance
31-08-2007, 19:36
I have a 1-year business visa and have registration from Moscow which will expire soon. I am currently in St.Petersburg and will be leaving the country (flying out of Pulkovo) in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me if I need to re-register now in St.Petersburg and how to do this? I have no landlord here and my employer is in Moscow. Is it possible to register at the post office? Most importantly, anyone who has travelled recently - please let me know if registration slips are checked at the airport.

Ales,

Passport Control at the airport are usually not interested in the Registration slip - they are only interested in your Visa and the Immigration Card.

You should register in St. Petes and from my own experiences of having lived there for a couple of years, the Police there are far worse than they are here in Moscow, for doing random stops and Document Checks. The sole purpose of these seems only to be to extort money and it seems that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference if your registration is ok or not. They'll take your money anyway given half the chance. It is obviously better of course that you have Registration.

I'm not sure what the process would be getting registered at the Post Office without having a landlord but there's a company in St. Petes called Baltic Travel and it's run by a guy called Valery Salnikov. The mobile number I have for him is +7 812 932 6429 - BUT I have that number for him for a couple of years and I don't know if it's still valid. You could try it though as he would be able to help.

Good luck

Ales
31-08-2007, 20:31
Thanks so much for the info! I am staying at a summer home 150km away from St.Pete until my flight, so I am wondering if I really need to register here... I have a valid visa and migration card with the Moscow airport arrival stamp, but the field for the registration on that card is blank - registration is on a separate slip of paper and will expire soon. Do they just take the migration slip at the airport and not ask for the registration slip then? In that case I could avoid a lot of hassles here, since I don't know how to register if the inviting party is actually in Moscow...

tchez
31-08-2007, 23:32
No they do not check your registration card here in St. Petersburg when you fly out. They are only intrested in your migration card and passport, you should be fine. As far as the local police are concerned, they rarely check your documents.

Scottish01
31-08-2007, 23:52
Most importantly, anyone who has travelled recently - please let me know if registration slips are checked at the airport.

They are not checked at the airport. The person/company who registered you should return the slip via the postal system. I guess they are then logged on some database against your Name, Visa number etc.

How accurate this process is .... who knows !

I think I read somewhere that if your visa isn't registered properly and it's your first offence then it isn't a problem. Twice, then you may have problem getting another visa in the future.:yikes:

Where are you staying in St P. ?

Ales
01-09-2007, 02:21
I am way up north in Karelia! (extended summer holiday) So, that's one less thing to worry about. Migration cards are still the old format, with space for the registration stamp on them below the arrival stamp, so this may be confusing for the passport control.

euro-asia
02-09-2007, 17:42
the registration paper is never asked at the airport. so that should not be the problem. while you are here and the police stops you the only thing you can try to say is that you just arrived from moscow (you have 3 working days to registerand that you lost the ticket to show it). you can not register via the post office if the landlord is not comming with you.

SNJE
10-09-2007, 14:32
Nowadays they dont really care about the migration paper either... but dont count on it. Registration paper should be given back to the inviting party and not when flying out... And you have three days time to register when arriving.