PDA

View Full Version : Winter clothing

dphillipsd
16-08-2011, 11:22
I am moving to Moscow in September and would like to buy any necessary winter clothing beforehand, here in the UK. However, I am at a complete loss as to what I require; is anyone able ot provide some pointers (if possible with links to website)?

Thanks!

Dave

AstarD
16-08-2011, 11:45
Do you really think a place where it gets to -2 in the winter does better winter clothing than a place where it gets to -30?

soprty
16-08-2011, 11:58
Do you really think a place where it gets to -2 in the winter does better winter clothing than a place where it gets to -30?

Well I would probably say yes in terms of price and I am sure you can find what you "need" there. I really avoid buying ANYTHING in Moscow because you are spending 3 times what things normally cost. With the price of a plane ticket to Italy I can fly for a weekend, buy what I need and come back and I still spend way less than buying here. BTW, I am not talking about buying trendy things that are the fashion craze of the moment but rather simple things us non-trendy people wear.

AstarD
16-08-2011, 12:51
I would disagree about women's winter essentials, such as a coat and boots. Here the clothes are practical and stylish. My winter boots are not more expensive than what I can find in the states or the UK, and they are made with real leather and fur as opposed to some synthetic environmentally friendly thing.

soprty
16-08-2011, 12:55
I would disagree about women's winter essentials, such as a coat and boots.

You for sure have more knowledge regarding women's clothing than I do but I do see some prices here for women's apparel and I just can't get over how pricey everything is and how hard it is to find reasonably priced clothing because everything is imported and therefore expensive.

Cheers

AstarD
16-08-2011, 12:59
But that's just it. The winter coat and boots are not imported. Russian manufacture of outerwear is quite good.

soprty
16-08-2011, 13:08
But that's just it. The winter coat and boots are not imported. Russian manufacture of outerwear is quite good.

Gotcha AstarD!

mrzuzzo
16-08-2011, 14:48
I bought standard issue army/police jacket and pants last winter... all in all spent like $120 on the entire outfit. Very high quality stuff, waterproof, breathable, real fur on the neck. Even in -30, it feels like you're in Africa. And also has a separate vest for those super cold days in Siberia.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/169827_1487327675516_1603669958_31018613_3932643_o.jpg

I don't think I could get something of the sort cheaper than here in Russia. If you can deal with looking like a cop everywhere you go, I'd highly recommend.

JuliaL
16-08-2011, 14:56
Looks very cool!!:10806:

xp@
16-08-2011, 23:10
If you can deal with looking like a cop everywhere you go, I'd highly recommend.

Collected or been offered any bribes?

You could make a lot by simply asking certain people for documents.

martpark
16-08-2011, 23:13
I am moving to Moscow in September and would like to buy any necessary winter clothing beforehand, here in the UK. However, I am at a complete loss as to what I require; is anyone able ot provide some pointers (if possible with links to website)?

Thanks!

Dave

Here's a good outfitters with some bargains. I bought my winter coat there. Good luck!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/

mrzuzzo
16-08-2011, 23:15
Collected or been offered any bribes?

You could make a lot by simply asking certain people for documents.

Neither, but I did notice that people tend to avoid me, not want to site beside me in the metro, etc... At one point I had a shaved head as well, fitted in really nicely with the look :)

martpark
16-08-2011, 23:21
Well I would probably say yes in terms of price and I am sure you can find what you "need" there. I really avoid buying ANYTHING in Moscow because you are spending 3 times what things normally cost. With the price of a plane ticket to Italy I can fly for a weekend, buy what I need and come back and I still spend way less than buying here. BTW, I am not talking about buying trendy things that are the fashion craze of the moment but rather simple things us non-trendy people wear.

I agree. They have copycat hi tech winter clothes here but the quality is not good and the price is often more expensive than the brand they are copying.

AndreyS
18-08-2011, 00:15
AstarD. You said smth good about Russia. Unbelievable!
In fact I suspect your login and password were stolen.

ilya25
18-08-2011, 01:10

Thanks!

Dave

It depends on what style you prefer. Many Russians like to wear fur clothes (like sheepskin jackets, mink hats, fur lined boots) I am not sure that those things can be easily found in th UK and if you want them you'd better buy them in Russia

If you want to keep your european style I guess you can manage with wool coat, wool sweaters, scarf and hat. Winters are pretty mild. For the frosts get a dawn jacket. Leather boots with some thick sole will be OK You can easily get such stuff at every department store in the UK

AndreyS
18-08-2011, 01:48
Winters are pretty mild.
In the Canary Islands? Or where?

heatherph
18-08-2011, 15:56
I have also found that winter clothing is one of the few things that you do get value for money for in Russia. I avoid buying clothes in Russia because of the markup, but I bought a nice coat and nice fur lined boots for around $100 US.

dphillipsd
19-08-2011, 02:22
Many thanks for all your opinions.

There seems to be a divide as to whether it is preferable to shop for winter clothing in Russia or in the UK! Is anyone able to provide any links to coats which are commonly worn in Russia (and which differ from something, for example, from North Face; which I assume is not widely worn)?

What types of fur etc hats do Russian men wear? Again, any links would be appreciated.

ilya25
19-08-2011, 03:22
[QUOTE=AndreyS;885534]In the Canary Islands? Or where?[/QU
in Moscow during recent years

ilya25
19-08-2011, 03:35

There seems to be a divide as to whether it is preferable to shop for winter clothing in Russia or in the UK! Is anyone able to provide any links to coats which are commonly worn in Russia (and which differ from something, for example, from North Face; which I assume is not widely worn)?

What types of fur etc hats do Russian men wear? Again, any links would be appreciated.

here are some links sorry in russian UK GBP=50 RUB enjoy

http://pilnikov.ru/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,1/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,47/

http://www.lyuik.ru/catalogue/shopcatgr/24/?gclid=CPDQvNv-2aoCFYRH3god2XW38g

http://ivagio.ru/catalog/men/sheepskins/

http://ivagio.ru/catalog/men/sheepskins/?pn=0&tr=24

http://ftvzolotoeruno.ru/catalog/mens_wear/m-dublenki/?PHPSESSID=8a148ba0079a0d0b3be8b550d58ff71a

http://snowqueen.ru/collection/mskincoat/

tasel
21-08-2011, 18:06

Thanks!

Dave

Better buy it in UK. Here you will pay $250-500 for a winter jacket and $150 > for winter shoes.

martpark
21-08-2011, 21:49

it's a generational thing. Not much fur clothing on young men. North face is common enough. Very little time will be spent in the cold. Just the walk to the metro and then home. If you have to catch buses, it will be colder.

A down coat, Thermal undies, and some warm shoes are all you need to add for winter. I wear normal shoes and travel by metro and it's not a problem. don't worry too much... the buildings and metro are sufficiently warm and you'll feel too hot with too much on.

urshulgi
22-08-2011, 12:17
As the poster above stated, if you're just traveling around Moscow from point A to point B, then you don't need to go too wild with winter clothes. If you're planning on spending a lot of time outside or in the woods, then your clothing needs change quite a bit.

I have a pair of nice leather boots that got me through last winter, and with good wool socks they were plenty warm. I have a fairly thick black pea coat that, when combined with a sweater, is more than sufficient even on the coldest days. Gloves are a necessity of course, and a good hat. You can probably find a better hat in Moscow than you can in the UK, but you'll probably find cheaper gloves in the UK.

Remember that, if you're a guy, black is the standard color. Black boots, black coat, black hat, black gloves, and you'll fit right in.