PDA

View Full Version : Travel Accounts?

sweetfart
05-08-2011, 17:07
I called my bank here in the States to let them know I will be using my debit and credit cards in Russia so they don't shut it off. After they took care of that, they transferred me to a travel accounts department. The guy spent almost an hour explaining the entire thing to me and how it protects my money. He swore there were no hidden fees or nothing. They would have to move $25 from the checking to savings each money but I can always move it back. Everything sounded good, except I'm suspicious because they sounded so eager. I had to cut the call early bc I was on my lunch break and he called back in the evening four times (I didn't wanna answer). Does anyone have an experience with travel accounts? What would be my bank's incentive for trying so vigorously to push this on me or do you think it's just good customer service and looking out for the customer after all?

AstarD
05-08-2011, 17:16
I would be sceptical that everything will be alright just because you've informed them that you will be traveling in Russia. It's almost a sure thing that one or more of your transactions will be denied and you will have to call the bank to get them to release the funds. Be sure to bring the proper numbers with you and pick up a good phone card. I recommend Hallo Mama.

soprty
05-08-2011, 18:06
I had a terrible time with Associated Bank because they kept on denying my card here in Russia every time I would try to use it. I called them and every time they would say they fixed the problem although they never did. I decided to go to the branch in person and speak to a manager and told the person I was there to take close my account because they had not taken care of the problem. In about 3 minutes, the manager was able to fix the problem and remove all the red flags that are set as default on their system. Anyway, they really did finally fix the problem but I think you should go in person and speak to a branch manager so you can then you have a single point of contact if you need help..

In terms of hidden charges, I got killed with commission fees every time I used the card although this really depends on the bank and what your agreements are. I am sure you can work out a deal with them if they know you and you have been with them for a long time.

Good luck with everything!

I called my bank here in the States to let them know I will be using my debit and credit cards in Russia so they don't shut it off. After they took care of that, they transferred me to a travel accounts department. The guy spent almost an hour explaining the entire thing to me and how it protects my money. He swore there were no hidden fees or nothing. They would have to move $25 from the checking to savings each money but I can always move it back. Everything sounded good, except I'm suspicious because they sounded so eager. I had to cut the call early bc I was on my lunch break and he called back in the evening four times (I didn't wanna answer). Does anyone have an experience with travel accounts? What would be my bank's incentive for trying so vigorously to push this on me or do you think it's just good customer service and looking out for the customer after all?

sweetfart
05-08-2011, 20:54
No you don't get it that's not what I'm asking. I'm wondering if any of you had experience with something that your bank calls a "travel account." It's different than just placing an alert on the card. It's a separate account essentially that allows you to use your own account. A back up account in a sense except you would use this one overseas.

My bank never gave me problems last year when I used my card so that's not my concern. I'm trying to figure out if I need this travel account as much as they made it sound.

cheriedeperth
06-08-2011, 00:10
No you don't get it that's not what I'm asking. I'm wondering if any of you had experience with something that your bank calls a "travel account." It's different than just placing an alert on the card. It's a separate account essentially that allows you to use your own account. A back up account in a sense except you would use this one overseas.

My bank never gave me problems last year when I used my card so that's not my concern. I'm trying to figure out if I need this travel account as much as they made it sound.

I'm not American so not sure if my input is applicable, but I if I was you I would just leave my accounts as they are, as long as you're sure that you can access them here if you need to. I used to work in banks and if they're that eager to have you agree to something then there's something not right (probably hidden fees).

If they have a website go to it and look up the information for the 'travel account' to see what it's all about.

Good luck !

soprty
06-08-2011, 02:20

You're right and I did misunderstand. Out of curiosity I have tried looking up "travel account" but don't understand what this is and how it would "protect" you. I have been living overseas for more than 15 years and have never had problems with my US bank accounts except for the CC card issue I mentioned.