PDA

View Full Version : Paratrooper Day - best to stay home

soprty
02-08-2011, 16:09
I have the uttermost respect for all armed forces but sorry to say I am really disgusted at the behavior of most paratroopers during paratrooper day. I was walking today with baby in Victory Park (forgot it was THAT day) and was amazed at how people were getting annihilated, urinating in the underp**** breaking bottles and just being plain stupid and violent. I believe the paratroopers have for sure earned the right to cut loose but I also believe they should never be allowed to pose a threat to people and believe me, if you are ever around a group of paratroopers, the flying debris alone is very dangerous. I guess I was silly to feel like I could go for a walk in the park on paratrooper day:confused1:

ivorjones
02-08-2011, 16:13
to be honest from what i witnessed they were more of a threat to themselves.

on another note has anyone notices a reduction in stray dog roaming the city?

soprty
02-08-2011, 16:15
And this is different than any other Tuesday how? :rofl:

1) Parks are not usually this bad on Tuesday
2) Many people wearing the same shirt

:)

mrzuzzo
02-08-2011, 16:26
I have been knocked out cold by a paratrooper by accident a few years back.

These guys aren't scared of anything when in groups, they willingly start fights with the police and OMON.

Best to stay away from parks and fountains today.

Krolick
02-08-2011, 17:47
It would be fun to combine Paratrooper's Day and school-leaving parties (drunk, short-skirted ex-schoolers would find a lot of new friends).
(Sarcasm)

FatAndy
02-08-2011, 18:06
No chance, 2 Aug is 2 Aug.
Though they can try border patrol day (28 May) ;)

It would be fun to combine Paratrooper's Day and school-leaving parties (drunk, short-skirted ex-schoolers would find a lot of new friends).
(Sarcasm)

Viola
02-08-2011, 18:45
I have the uttermost respect for all armed forces but sorry to say I am really disgusted at the behavior of most paratroopers during paratrooper day. I was walking today with baby in Victory Park (forgot it was THAT day) and was amazed at how people were getting annihilated, urinating in the underp**** breaking bottles and just being plain stupid and violent. I believe the paratroopers have for sure earned the right to cut loose but I also believe they should never be allowed to pose a threat to people and believe me, if you are ever around a group of paratroopers, the flying debris alone is very dangerous. I guess I was silly to feel like I could go for a walk in the park on paratrooper day:confused1:

My feelings precisely :iagree:.
I was at Octyabrskaya today afternoon and saw groups of paratroopers gathering for so called "celebration". Scary and disgustful.
Shall this day be moved somewhere in February??

TolkoRaz
02-08-2011, 19:56

Can we introduce them to Willy and tell them that he thinks they are limbering up for the Gay Parade? :D

Nyusha
02-08-2011, 20:24
A couple of years ago, Madonna was giving a concert in St. Petes on Aug 2! A bunch of gay guys vs paratroopers. That was an interesting day.

NotMe
02-08-2011, 21:03

What have you told him, mrzuzzo?;)

The thought that you dared to flirt with his girlfriend looks like absolutely stupid for me, because something tells me that in this case you would be dead. :p

robertmf
02-08-2011, 21:08
.. on another note has anyone notices a reduction in stray dogs roaming the city?

:whisper: Moscow has an increase in Chinese restaurants.

OuterSpace
03-08-2011, 12:00
http://drugoi.livejournal.com/3597144.html#cutid1

TolkoRaz
03-08-2011, 12:18
I wonder how many Desantniki are nursing bad heads this morning? ;)

God, I feel good! :)

FatAndy
03-08-2011, 13:51
Bad heads - do you mean headache or?

I wonder how many Desantniki are nursing bad heads this morning? ;)

God, I feel good! :)

mrzuzzo
03-08-2011, 14:17
And this is how it all ends every year, unfortunately.... :(

http://rusdtp.ru/uploads/posts/2011-08/thumbs/1312318495_24885.jpg

http://rusdtp.ru/uploads/posts/2011-08/thumbs/1312318531_24882.jpg

http://rusdtp.ru/uploads/posts/2011-08/thumbs/1312318592_24884.jpg

At 29sec:
‪Авария. ВДВ-шники на мотоцикле на ул. Белинского‬‏ - YouTube

TolkoRaz
03-08-2011, 15:38
I guess the poor Desantnik went Airborne for the last time!

Bogatyr
03-08-2011, 15:54
I guess the poor Desantnik went Airborne for the last time!

Motorcycles + no gear & no helmet = bad news. Riding a motorcycle in Russia is lunacy to begin with, riding in Russia with no gear is a deathwish, riding a motorcycle drunk in Russia with no gear = just a small matter or time.

Saw a guy on a motorcycle in shorts & flip flops (no helmet of course) just last week. It's not hard to figure out: skin vs. pavement = pavement wins.

These guys probably spend lots of time every day packing their chute and gear with great care -- their lives depend on their gear. It's exactly the same with motorcycles, but hardly anybody seems to think that way here.

soprty
03-08-2011, 16:38
Motorcycles + no gear & no helmet = bad news. Riding a motorcycle in Russia is lunacy to begin with

I have been riding for 4 years in Moscow and don't think I am a lunatic. Riding in Moscow is not more or less dangerous than anywhere else brother. Actually, I will tell you that in Moscow, drivers are much more respectful to bikes than anywhere I have ever ridden. You think in Europe cars will move out of the way to let you through??? Naaaa, it wont happen and if they can actually block you they will.

I fully agree with you that riding without gear is nuts but that had noon to do with Moscow.

As much an idiot this guy is riding without anything, my prayers still go out to him because no one deserves to die that way!

mrzuzzo
03-08-2011, 16:57
I think the biggest threat to moto riders here are young dumb girls on expensive SUVs. Range Rovers, Cayennes, etc... Most of which got their license as a gift on their 18th birthday and use their rear-view as a make-up mirror. Even in a car, I am sometimes scared when I see some of the maneuvers they take.

Drinking and riding is 100 times more dangerous than drinking and driving. RIP to the VDV veteran who decided it was a good idea to get wasted and then go on his bike. :(

Bogatyr
06-08-2011, 12:38
I have been riding for 4 years in Moscow and don't think I am a lunatic.

One of the primary signs of lunacy is the patient's unwavering insistence that there's nothing wrong with him :)

Seriously though, there are reasonable and safe Russian drivers. The problem is the number and magnitude of the severity of the unreasonable ones, who drive like angry teenagers playing a video game.

E.g., in the US, you would never, ever, ever see anybody "going around" to the right of a crowd of cars at a light and swerve in front of the group in the middle of the intersection in front of the left turn lane to be first for a left turn. In 30 years of US driving I have not seen that maneuver a single time, and it's a many-times-a-day happening I observe in SPB. And I hear SPB drivers are mild in comparison with Moscow drivers, thus my "lunacy" comment.

I can't speak much to European drivers, but US drivers are infinitely more predictable than Russian drivers. There is no concept of "lane" to Russian drivers. Gaping holes in pavement tend to be clearly marked immediately and fixed quickly in the US. Russian drivers are 10-100x more impulsive and impatient in their behavior, jumping from lane to lane in hope of "getting ahead." This is the most dangerous kind of behavior to motorcycle riders.

I'm glad you've made it 4 years, and good luck for the future, but I maintain my views...

soprty
06-08-2011, 13:13
Totally respect your view but unless you have tried riding a bike here you have no idea what it's like. You cannot say you have seen or think because that's not good enough. I took a friend riding the other day (he was riding another bike) and I think he was seriously shocked at how different drivers are with respect to bikes. I know this is difficult to understand and that's why I say you need to try it before saying it is insane. I agree it is not the safest thing to to do but then again, try even crossing a crosswalk without a traffic light in Moscow... Regarding streets, I lived in NYC for many years and cannot really say the streets are in better condition than Moscow. The difference in the USA is that at least when there is a problem they will put up a sign to warn drivers.

Anyway, as I said you are totally entitled to your opinion but I hope one day you can maybe try a bike and I think you will better understand what I mean.

Cheers

One of the primary signs of lunacy is the patient's unwavering insistence that there's nothing wrong with him :)

Seriously though, there are reasonable and safe Russian drivers. The problem is the number and magnitude of the severity of the unreasonable ones, who drive like angry teenagers playing a video game.

E.g., in the US, you would never, ever, ever see anybody "going around" to the right of a crowd of cars at a light and swerve in front of the group in the middle of the intersection in front of the left turn lane to be first for a left turn. In 30 years of US driving I have not seen that maneuver a single time, and it's a many-times-a-day happening I observe in SPB. And I hear SPB drivers are mild in comparison with Moscow drivers, thus my "lunacy" comment.

I can't speak much to European drivers, but US drivers are infinitely more predictable than Russian drivers. There is no concept of "lane" to Russian drivers. Gaping holes in pavement tend to be clearly marked immediately and fixed quickly in the US. Russian drivers are 10-100x more impulsive and impatient in their behavior, jumping from lane to lane in hope of "getting ahead." This is the most dangerous kind of behavior to motorcycle riders.

I'm glad you've made it 4 years, and good luck for the future, but I maintain my views...

bydand
06-08-2011, 13:46
Motorcycles + no gear & no helmet = bad news. Riding a motorcycle in Russia is lunacy to begin with, riding in Russia with no gear is a deathwish, riding a motorcycle drunk in Russia with no gear = just a small matter or time.

Saw a guy on a motorcycle in shorts & flip flops (no helmet of course) just last week. It's not hard to figure out: skin vs. pavement = pavement wins.

These guys probably spend lots of time every day packing their chute and gear with great care -- their lives depend on their gear. It's exactly the same with motorcycles, but hardly anybody seems to think that way here.

My motto is... if you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet (see my sig).

For the most part, roads in Moscow are like NYC, I agree, except for the drivers. Come to Kashin and you will see teeth chattering roads, unlike any town I have seen in America, and I have been in every State in the US except Wyoming, where men are men, and sheep are afraid.:D

yakspeare
06-08-2011, 15:10
hmm I don't know.

I used to be a motorcylist and I have been a fairly serious cyclist all my life too. I ride in Krasnodar which has traffic as bad as Moscow, simply because of the narrower roads and that all traffic must go through the centre of the city.

Russian drivers are dangerous but they are predictably so....which means you are always alert, assert the space you are riding in, and so forth.

what is worse is drivers in Australia who 90% of the time or more give you proper distance and space, but then you have some hoon who thinks it is funny to come as close to you as possible, to scare you. I find this far more dangerous..in some ways better that they all are out to kill you than just 10% of them...because you can adjust your riding to suit the former.

bydand
06-08-2011, 15:47
hmm I don't know.

I used to be a motorcylist and I have been a fairly serious cyclist all my life too. I ride in Krasnodar which has traffic as bad as Moscow, simply because of the narrower roads and that all traffic must go through the centre of the city.

Russian drivers are dangerous but they are predictably so....which means you are always alert, assert the space you are riding in, and so forth.

what is worse is drivers in Australia who 90% of the time or more give you proper distance and space, but then you have some hoon who thinks it is funny to come as close to you as possible, to scare you. I find this far more dangerous..in some ways better that they all are out to kill you than just 10% of them...because you can adjust your riding to suit the former.

Well put Yak, assume they are all out to kill you.
I'm certain riding motorcycles ("pilot error" is much more rash), has made me a more aware car driver also.

Korotky Gennady
07-08-2011, 02:36
was amazed at how people were getting annihilated, urinating in the underp**** breaking bottles and just being plain stupid and violent.

I believe the paratroopers have for sure earned the right to cut loose but I also believe they should never be allowed to pose a threat to people and believe me, if you are ever around a group of paratroopers, the flying debris alone is very dangerous. I guess I was silly to feel like I could go for a walk in the park on paratrooper day:confused1:

At least it wasn't a boring day for you. So you should be gratefull to our ex-paratroopers for that.

By the way why didn't you ask them stop urinating in the underpass ? :eh:

on another note has anyone notices a reduction in stray dog roaming the city?

I did. But for sure it's not our paratroopers who are responsible for this fact.

Sorry but I don't believe you. Our paratroopers are to defend common citizens. They never assault them without reason. Of course there should be some serious reason behind their activity against you.

What have you told him, mrzuzzo?;)

The thought that you dared to flirt with his girlfriend looks like absolutely stupid for me, because something tells me that in this case you would be dead. :p

Maybe mrzuzzo asked the paratrooper.. Is he a patriot or not ?

It would be fun to combine Paratrooper's Day and school-leaving parties

For me it would be more fun to combine Paratrooper's Day and long before waiting The First Moscow Gay Parade. It could be a lot of fun and hapiness for all paratroopers and all gays.

Can we introduce them to Willy and tell them that he thinks they are limbering up for the Gay Parade? :D

I think you didn't see Willy. He is not a weak boy at all. He is able to defend himself.