PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend a month for a decent living? And what is it for?

WilliamFTH
28-08-2007, 23:14
I would like to do a survey and see how we spend our money in Russia, and how much will it cost for a decent living

3 proper meals a day
Outing once a week (movie and stuff)
Clothing and Grocery
And others..

Bels
28-08-2007, 23:20
I'm still working on it. But I would need 500 a week, about $4000 a month to start with for a family.

Bels
28-08-2007, 23:21
Don't forget the car or transport, and the holidays. Or the costs to cover visa trips.

WilliamFTH
28-08-2007, 23:27
Don't forget the car or transport, and the holidays. Or the costs to cover visa trips.
The reason I posted this is to get a feel of how much do I need to have to start of my life over in Moscow.

I’m homely person and duns spend much on clubbing, I do spend money on my sport and side seeing (I love taking pictures). I prefer to cook then eating out. I live alone…

My company provide a fully furnished apartment with a car and driver.

So how much do I need for my life in Moscow?

Baracuda
29-08-2007, 01:00
For 1/2 people, (male or pair);
Russian style house rent including gas,tel etc bills (740-800$)
Electricity + inet (60$)
Home cooking ( 280$-400$)
Outings x 4 (100$)

This is the cheapest variant.. a minimum 1240$ although I hate to sound a scrooge :D no-travel costs though..

But I have to say;
- unless you make over 4000$/month here there is no point in living here.
- you wont find cheap rent right away, so aim for the worst case scenario (it can take up to 1 month to find cheap rent sometimes.) Worst case is 2000-3000$. (if your company provides it, then thats good.. just hope they provide it for long.. :) )
- eating out depends on where you go, there are good restaurants that cost about 60-120$ for two if you don't drink any alcohol..

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 09:38
For 1/2 people, (male or pair);
Russian style house rent including gas,tel etc bills (740-800$)
Electricity + inet (60$)
Home cooking ( 280$-400$)
Outings x 4 (100$)

This is the cheapest variant.. a minimum 1240$ although I hate to sound a scrooge :D no-travel costs though..

But I have to say;
- unless you make over 4000$/month here there is no point in living here.
- you wont find cheap rent right away, so aim for the worst case scenario (it can take up to 1 month to find cheap rent sometimes.) Worst case is 2000-3000$. (if your company provides it, then thats good.. just hope they provide it for long.. :) )
- eating out depends on where you go, there are good restaurants that cost about 60-120$ for two if you don't drink any alcohol..
Well, in that case I don’t think I will spend that much money in Moscow base on my living standard. My company is proving accommodation and transport and that should help me a lot. I only need to spend on food and general living expenses.

Thanks mate for your info.

Baracuda
29-08-2007, 10:57
Food here depends really where you buy but if you cook then I think it should be about that much.. considering that I cook every single day anything ranging from middle eastern meat dishes to chinese/vietnamiese stuff (Nem..etc) only problems you might have is language and finding the ingredients to some stuff.. (like for chinese/vietnamese ingredients)..

Living.. again depends what you do, where you go in site seeing or museum terms there are not too many expensive places..I think the most expensive is was the "Arujeyniy palat" at the Kremlin..

Prices for cinema/theater also range from expensive to cheap, prices go lower further away from the center and popularity..

Bels
29-08-2007, 11:44
Some websites looking for workers abroad, try to say that Moscow is a cheaper cost of living. Compared to USA or UK I don't think so. If coming for work in Moscow it or any other city outside your own country it makes sense that you should be earning a lot more to be attracted to come here in the first place. Therefore I say $4000 or 2000 a month at least depending on the status of your job.

Bels
29-08-2007, 12:12
Some websites looking for workers abroad, try to say that Moscow is a cheaper cost of living. Compared to USA or UK I don't think so. If coming for work in Moscow it or any other city outside your own country it makes sense that you should be earning a lot more to be attracted to come here in the first place. Therefore I say $4000 or 2000 a month at least depending on the status of your job.

Bels
29-08-2007, 12:32
I'm sorry I made a mistake in the poll. I only put $2,000 as I was automatically thinking in s. So it's double that figure.

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 13:08
Thanks mate for your advice, I knew it is going to be expensive, I’ll be making abit over 5K USD and accommodation, transport and Lunch provided so I guess I’ll be in the safe zone.

It is not easy for an Asian to be in Russia but then again it is a rare opportunity for me and I hope to gain many new friendship over there and share some of my experience.

Bels
29-08-2007, 15:11
Sounds just about right, just the right amount. It's a pity that TEFL employers don't offer the same. Yes of course the fees should be higher and why not. The corporate international companies who send their employees to these schools can afford it, and they are offering much more to their own employees. After all we are all Expats. We should be treated that way.

Would love to hear the comment of those who state $1000 to $2000, thats unless you made the same mistake as I did and thought in s

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 16:40
Food here depends really where you buy but if you cook then I think it should be about that much.. considering that I cook every single day anything ranging from middle eastern meat dishes to chinese/vietnamiese stuff (Nem..etc) only problems you might have is language and finding the ingredients to some stuff.. (like for chinese/vietnamese ingredients)..

Living.. again depends what you do, where you go in site seeing or museum terms there are not too many expensive places..I think the most expensive is was the "Arujeyniy palat" at the Kremlin..

Prices for cinema/theater also range from expensive to cheap, prices go lower further away from the center and popularity..
Hi…would really like to meet up with you to find out more of Asian food shopping when I’ve settle down. Is it difficult to get those ingredients in Moscow? And Thanks for your advice

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 16:45
Sounds just about right, just the right amount. It's a pity that TEFL employers don't offer the same. Yes of course the fees should be higher and why not. The corporate international companies who send their employees to these schools can afford it, and they are offering much more to their own employees. After all we are all Expats. We should be treated that way.

Would love to hear the comment of those who state $1000 to $2000, thats unless you made the same mistake as I did and thought in s
TEFL is a private school teacher? Normally teacher is getting pay lower compare to other profession, which I agreed it sound a bit not fair as we are all expat but it is a industry standard in any part of there world.

The salary of teacher in my home country is way low compare to other country and this have greatly lower down the quality of teacher in many countries. I believe Public servant should be pay higher at least not too far off compare to private sector.

Baracuda
29-08-2007, 17:11

I think to live the minimum with such pay is not even worth staying in Moscow for, even my Russian friends who have come from other provinces agree on a minimum of 2000-3000$ US.. maybe if everything is paid.. like a good house/flat in a new building, car + its expenses, + food partially..

Hiwould really like to meet up with you to find out more of Asian food shopping when Ive settle down. Is it difficult to get those ingredients in Moscow? And Thanks for your advice

Maybe, in any case I can point you to some rinok's-open markets where I usually buy specific asian ingredients from... Its not too difficult, its just that you have to search or know where to go..

Bels
29-08-2007, 17:34
TEFL is a private school teacher? Normally teacher is getting pay lower compare to other profession, which I agreed it sound a bit not fair as we are all expat but it is a industry standard in any part of there world.

The salary of teacher in my home country is way low compare to other country and this have greatly lower down the quality of teacher in many countries. I believe Public servant should be pay higher at least not too far off compare to private sector.

Just answered this questione on another post. TEFL simply means teaching English as a foreign language. So it can mean employed or private, and yes the employed are certainly abused here like some other countries. However for a settled EXPAT working hard privately the self employed can expect much more eventually. Cutting out the middlemen as you might say. It's like any other person being in business I suppose, it takes time to build up your customers and make it fulltime.

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 18:33
I think to live the minimum with such pay is not even worth staying in Moscow for, even my Russian friends who have come from other provinces agree on a minimum of 2000-3000$ US.. maybe if everything is paid.. like a good house/flat in a new building, car + its expenses, + food partially....

I would like to find out actually what is my market value in Russia as an expat for Asian.

I'm a senior Manager with 15 years of experience in contract (project) sales involved in Telecommunication/Hydro Carbon. Ive experience in handling both commercial and technical operation on a medium scale project Management.

Ive been working for some foreign company and getting pay about 5K USD, well it is usually 20 to 30% cheaper compare to westerner.

Maybe, in any case I can point you to some rinok's-open markets where I usually buy specific asian ingredients from... Its not too difficult, its just that you have to search or know where to go..

Are you Asian your self it will be great to share some ideas later.....Thanks.

WilliamFTH
29-08-2007, 18:37
Just answered this questione on another post. TEFL simply means teaching English as a foreign language. So it can mean employed or private, and yes the employed are certainly abused here like some other countries. However for a settled EXPAT working hard privately the self employed can expect much more eventually. Cutting out the middlemen as you might say. It's like any other person being in business I suppose, it takes time to build up your customers and make it fulltime.
Do you think Russia are interested in Chinese? And how much to charge for a private lesson? Just wondering……..

Bels
30-08-2007, 10:38
Yes I do believe they are interested in learning chinese. It's a smaller market and you will probably need to advertise,classified in Moscow times might do. However although a smaller market the competition will also be much smaller. Yes I think it would do well in response. Perhaps Expat.ru in lessons will pull in a few. Anyway good question to the Expats. Is anyone interested in Chinese?

Elegance
30-08-2007, 13:50
Sorry for interruption of your conversation...
I know few places where you can find many ingredients for Asian cooking...
1) There is a Chinese supermarket near metro Prospect Mira. It will be on your way if you walk toward Garden Ring (Sadovoe).
2) Near Partizanskaya metro station (former Izmailovsky Park) there is a Chinese Market where you can find everything from China starting with ready food and food ingredients any type and finishing with cloths;
3) Near Sukharevskaya metro station there is a small (but quite famouse in Moscow) shop owned by an Indian selling Asian food ingredients.

Baracuda
30-08-2007, 14:10
Sorry for interruption of your conversation...
I know few places where you can find many ingredients for Asian cooking...
1) There is a Chinese supermarket near metro Prospect Mira. It will be on your way if you walk toward Garden Ring (Sadovoe).
2) Near Partizanskaya metro station (former Izmailovsky Park) there is a Chinese Market where you can find everything from China starting with ready food and food ingredients any type and finishing with cloths;
3) Near Sukharevskaya metro station there is a small (but quite famouse in Moscow) shop owned by an Indian selling Asian food ingredients.

2- Is called cherkizovskiy rinok.. otherwise that pretty much the same places I go, didn't know about 3)- though.. tnx

Elegance
30-08-2007, 14:26
It's NOT cherkizovsky market. Not at all.

Surok
30-08-2007, 14:35

H H . , , , , . . (http://www.indianspices.ru/)

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 15:33
Yes I do believe they are interested in learning chinese. It's a smaller market and you will probably need to advertise,classified in Moscow times might do. However although a smaller market the competition will also be much smaller. Yes I think it would do well in response. Perhaps Expat.ru in lessons will pull in a few. Anyway good question to the Expats. Is anyone interested in Chinese?
Interesting I must say, I will put on a post for this….and find out.

Baracuda
30-08-2007, 16:15
It's NOT cherkizovsky market. Not at all.

Maybe I'm wrong next time I go I'll ask what its called, but we go to the same place..

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 16:58
Hehehehe........I think I shoudl change the title of the post to "The Hunt for Asian Food" hehehe........

Anyway, I'm happy that people responded well and found some friends that like Asian food.

Let me check out my new apartment if I can use the kitchen for a proper Asian food cooking if so, you guys are invited.

Bels
30-08-2007, 21:10
The poll stands at $1000 or $2000 a month is the majority. I would love to hear the comments from those voters. They are joking of course. How on earth did they afford the cost of a computer and internet to vote in the first place.

xSnoofovich
30-08-2007, 21:26
its about living cheap ! i buy my food from utkanos - they are as cheap as ashan, and deliver ! then we cook on sundays for the whole week. we allow small snacks and 1-2 nights out, but we stay under 1 g for the whole month. i figure we can go to clubs or do whatever we want, and its all within budget ! we dont deny ourselves anything.

Baracuda
30-08-2007, 21:27
"Bels" - I think for the majority of Russians that amount should be about right.... maybe thats why results so far say 1000-2000 ;)

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 21:38
"Bels" - I think for the majority of Russians that amount should be about right.... maybe thats why results so far say 1000-2000 ;)
I think so too……

USD 2000 is about Ringgit 7000 in Malaysia, which mean I can afford a decent house, own a car and raise a family wit three kid with weekly outing and yearly vacation; that’s what my brother is earning. I guess the economic scale is not too far apart from country to country it is all depending how you live.

Ofcos Bels might have a different perception of living standard, which might not be practice by local Russian.

Bels
30-08-2007, 21:46
I speak to local Russians, I'm married to one, I have Russian adult students. They would laugh at anything less than $4000 a month. How can they afford to keep their families, have nice homes, a decent car, a holiday, their beloved dacha with the cost of living in Moscow. Just look at the cost of flats, the cost in shops especially food. Ignore the national minimum rate, Russian don't declare their full income.

Bels
30-08-2007, 22:05
And are you satisfied? Or are you searching or trying to improve yourself for a better income? Because this is what the low payers want to hear, and it's what keep the income down. It's all about supply and demand.

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 22:29
And are you satisfied? Or are you searching or trying to improve yourself for a better income? Because this is what the low payers want to hear, and it's what keep the income down. It's all about supply and demand.
Hmmmm…..Well base on the living standard in Malaysia, most manager made about USD 1.5K a month and they do own a house and a car (on installment ofcos) and with kids going to school. Living standard in Malaysia is relatively cheaper I guess compare to many country.

How much is a local manager made a month in Moscow? That will be a good guide line.

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 22:36
Hmmmm…..Well base on the living standard in Malaysia, most manager made about USD 1.5K a month and they do own a house and a car (on installment ofcos) and with kids going to school. Living standard in Malaysia is relatively cheaper I guess compare to many country.

How much is a local manager made a month in Moscow? That will be a good guide line.

Bels
30-08-2007, 22:46
I'd love to hear of other expats who are not employed give us some ideas here. Other examples, telephone engineers, those in oil companies, banks etc. Also professional Russians in Multi national companies. And please put your vote. That's what puts the high cost of living in Moscow and the vast inflation rate that they do have.

Baracuda
30-08-2007, 22:46

Well if you're talking about me then you have to add a couple of zero's on the end of those per month. I mean, after all I am the CEO/owner of a power engineering company, so I don't even fall into a category. I get satisfaction out of being creative and lately due to free-time I had on my hands I looked for a computer engineering / programming (general / web) / design (general / web) jobs and the offers were around; 800$ - 1200$ - 2000$ (note: I've been a freelancer on these subjects since '95 with countless completed jobs) .. Take a look at job.ru / joblist.ru / hh.ru / superjob.ru / rabota.ru , and you can see that the majority of jobs are less than 2K $ ..

I do have Russian friends who don't have a family and almost all of them make less than 2400$ if they are engineers / dentists.. and I also know a couple of managers / secretaries who make a little higher at 4000$..

Bels
30-08-2007, 23:01

Different countries have different costs of living. Moscow has a big problem on inflation. It has been claimed as the most expensive city in the world. Yes the Metro and a few other minor items are cheap by comparison.

Not complaining, I love the country partly because my family is here, but you must work hard to get the right standard of living.

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 23:03
Well if you're talking about me then you have to add a couple of zero's on the end of those per month. I mean, after all I am the CEO/owner of a power engineering company, so I don't even fall into a category. I get satisfaction out of being creative and lately due to free-time I had on my hands I looked for a computer engineering / programming (general / web) / design (general / web) jobs and the offers were around; 800$ - 1200$ - 2000$ (note: I've been a freelancer on these subjects since '95 with countless completed jobs) .. Take a look at job.ru / joblist.ru / hh.ru / superjob.ru / rabota.ru , and you can see that the majority of jobs are less than 2K $ ..

I do have Russian friends who don't have a family and almost all of them make less than 2400$ if they are engineers / dentists.. and I also know a couple of managers / secretaries who make a little higher at 4000$..
The salary range is logical, my highest pay was when I was attached to an American company working in Shanghai (USD 7K) and generally most manager will get a Salary package of USD 5 to 10K depending on nature of work and industry.

WilliamFTH
30-08-2007, 23:05
Different countries have different costs of living. Moscow has a big problem on inflation. It has been claimed as the most expensive city in the world. Yes the Metro and a few other minor items are cheap by comparison.

Not complaining, I love the country partly because my family is here, but you must work hard to get the right standard of living.
Thanks mate for your advice........

Margo
31-08-2007, 00:16
Can I add my 5 cents. I am muscovite. Yes, Moscow was awarded the title of one of most expensive capitals in the word. Nothing to be proud about.

I'm software developer and in our business there are many-many people from other places then Moscow. My non-moscow colleagues mostly spend money on apartment rent. And actually I think if you don't spend money of accommodation-transportation-lunch you are very happy together with your 5K salary because it covers most everyday expenses.
Ok, you like sport, most expensive year membership in sport club would be about 2K.
Clubs, restos, going-out, buying cloths needs money and there people who can spend any given amount. But I'm really convinced you are not going to die of starvation :).
Personally me I know nobody who earns about 4K here, may be can suspect couple of my friends. But the others live relatively well, have families, go on vacations, have cars.

Baracuda
31-08-2007, 00:21
Can I add my 5 cents. I am muscovite. Yes, Moscow was awarded the title of one of most expensive capitals in the word. Nothing to be proud about.

I'm software developer and in our business there are many-many people from other places then Moscow. My non-moscow colleagues mostly spend money on apartment rent. And actually I think if you don't spend money of accommodation-transportation-lunch you are very happy together with your 5K salary because it covers most everyday expenses.
Ok, you like sport, most expensive year membership in sport club would be about 2K.
Clubs, restos, going-out, buying cloths needs money and there people who can spend any given amount. But I'm really convinced you are not going to die of starvation :).
Personally me I know nobody who earns about 4K here, may be can suspect couple of my friends. But the others live relatively well, have families, go on vacations, have cars.

How much do they earn?

Margo
31-08-2007, 00:33
My salary is about 2K.

Baracuda
31-08-2007, 01:13
Tnx "margo", I really find it strange that software development / programming.. engineering jobs aren't paid very well here... of course what job is ? that is another good question :)

WilliamFTH
31-08-2007, 07:18
Tnx "margo", I really find it strange that software development / programming.. engineering jobs aren't paid very well here... of course what job is ? that is another good question :)
Business development, contract management, ICT infrastructure, Financial Planning, Pre and pos sales management and others related to complex management.

These are the job, which get high pay as far as I know base on my working experience.

Margo
01-09-2007, 00:05
BTW, almost forgot - will your company provide you medical insurance? This is also can be VERY handy and actually recommended.

WilliamFTH
01-09-2007, 00:32
BTW, almost forgot - will your company provide you medical insurance? This is also can be VERY handy and actually recommended.
I got international travel insurance and all my medical benefits will be cover by the company. So shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Bels
04-09-2007, 12:47
If you love anything imported into Russia such as Asian spices, perfumes, beers and spirits, clothes food you had had better raise your expected salary to another 1,000 per month (that's about 53,000p) Imported goods are very expensive here. If not they are copies.

That's my final say, If you can't earn at least 2,500 pounds at least and you have a family don't bother coming

Baracuda
04-09-2007, 13:59
"Bels" do you only teach here in Moscow/Russia?

Bels
04-09-2007, 19:09
"Bels" do you only teach here in Moscow/Russia?

Why? However yes I only teach in the Western region of Moscow and I wouldn't dream of being employed by anyone. I have worked in the UK in the past, Oxford and London.

Baracuda
04-09-2007, 22:29
Nothing, its just that I've never thought that there would be good enough salary to lure any teachers over here.. thats why.. But I suppose I might be wrong with all the so be languages schools around that have sprouted like mushrooms and perhaps private tutoring.. ends might meet.

Bels
04-09-2007, 22:36
Yes, It amazes me how they keep coming over and then start moaning a few months later in forums such as eslcafe.com . The point is they were informed of all the facts before they arrived.

Except for the rising cost of living in Moscow that is :duhhhh:

WilliamFTH
05-09-2007, 12:32
If you love anything imported into Russia such as Asian spices, perfumes, beers and spirits, clothes food you had had better raise your expected salary to another 1,000 per month (that's about 53,000p) Imported goods are very expensive here. If not they are copies.

That's my final say, If you can't earn at least 2,500 pounds at least and you have a family don't bother coming
Thanks bels, will try to stick to local food, actually I'm very simple...can eat anything.

WilliamFTH
08-09-2007, 23:08
Yes, It amazes me how they keep coming over and then start moaning a few months later in forums such as eslcafe.com . The point is they were informed of all the facts before they arrived.

Except for the rising cost of living in Moscow that is :duhhhh:
This is to apologise to Bels,

Bro you are right by what you said….to live as what I have lived before in other country, Moscow is expensive if I keep up with my living standard in Malaysia.

God!!! The fruits is so expensive here…..shopping for some bread, fruits, veg and some juices cost me more then 1000 Rubels……that is 3 times the price I pay back home.

Bara and others is not wrong either, if they have not live in Asia other country with lower living expenses………

Got to adjust my living expectation now…..

Baracuda
09-09-2007, 22:15
This is to apologise to Bels,

Bro you are right by what you said.to live as what I have lived before in other country, Moscow is expensive if I keep up with my living standard in Malaysia.

God!!! The fruits is so expensive here..shopping for some bread, fruits, veg and some juices cost me more then 1000 Rubelsthat is 3 times the price I pay back home.

Bara and others is not wrong either, if they have not live in Asia other country with lower living expenses

Got to adjust my living expectation now..

Actually usually people buy in terms of 2 to 5 kg of each veg / fruit minimum with a cost usually less than 2$ per 5kg bag from where I come.. here of although I eat and cook a variety of stuff my main diet is usually anything meat.. (preferably non frozen and fresh) :D

WilliamFTH
09-09-2007, 22:27
Actually usually people buy in terms of 2 to 5 kg of each veg / fruit minimum with a cost usually less than 2$ per 5kg bag from where I come.. here of although I eat and cook a variety of stuff my main diet is usually anything meat.. (preferably non frozen and fresh) :D
Wow, where is it? I would like to go there to shop. I cant live without Veg

pinoy_counsel
19-11-2007, 19:59

Hi Margo,

This is something I discussed with my potential employer. However, which is better, to ask for a comprehensive medical insurance or to simply get an additional "allowance" and how much would be safe?

cris

Bels
19-11-2007, 22:17
Wow, where is it? I would like to go there to shop. I cant live without Veg

Mainly I discussed what you need before you arrived here William.

Now you've had some experience what do you think we need for a decent living, and yes my wife complains that costs are rising far too fast now, especially on food.

I think you now need at least 500 or 1,000 dollars a week. And schools employers of teachers and every other profession should bear that in mind.

And before I forget. Welcome to Russia :) :fireworks: :fireworks:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

SalTheReturn
20-11-2007, 01:12
shocked that no one has stated in between the fixed costs the dates with russian chicks

despite i was personally far from going out with snobby sluts and have always preferred genuine girls,i would say that was where lots of money were going on that

of course i do not regret

tried to make some calculation but got bored

Bels
06-12-2007, 22:51
Boy! I'm seem to be paying a lot more these days. I keep raising my fees and yet everything's getting spent. From food bills, unbelievably a major cost! What's going on. Then there's family costs for medical costs! yikes! it's expensive and very time consuming and very inconvenient if you live just outside Moscow.

Something we took for granted in Britain, even though if you read their news papers their are a lot of moaners, but I now realize the service was great. Socialism in Britain, especially Scotland, that Russia never had :)

Other costs I used to have, annoying flights back to UK to renew visas, which the situation has now got worse for many. What an inconvenience and expense for a Russian family. Thank goodness I've got my residency, at long last, and well deserved may I say.

orlando771
18-02-2010, 12:08
1000$ is enough for you to spend for your needs you can save whatever is left over. of course there are outrageously expensive places to eat or drink. before i had a gf, i went out 3-4 nights a week, and went to restaurant almost for every meal. and avarage i spent 1000$. and now i dont go out as much as i used to, still 1000$.

drwho
18-02-2010, 13:19
I would like to do a survey and see how we spend our money in Russia, and how much will it cost for a decent living

3 proper meals a day
Outing once a week (movie and stuff)
Clothing and Grocery
And others..

They use Rubles here and I don't know dollars sorry. A lot does that help?

AndreyS
18-02-2010, 13:50
Doctor. WilliamFTH left us two years ago, saying a big warm good-bye. ;-(
Not worth arguing with his old post. ;-)

Nehalennia
18-02-2010, 18:07
I have found that on a salary of $4600 it is possible to live on only $1000 of it.
Example

7000 rubles for food. 2 people, per month
4000 rubles for transportation for 2 people. That means 70 underground and unlimited above ground.
600 rubles for internet
18000 rubles for rent. I know everyone wants a good flat but you can find pretty good deals if you are willing to make repairs on the side.
4000 Extra

In one year it is possible to save several thousand dollars.

Giggens
01-05-2010, 04:22
Bells you have family to look after I think most people who take this poll are single shareing flat and finding thier feet.... Youv been there many years so think you are being a bit unfair.... Im sure people can live on this money but not on such high quality of life they are just getting by and trying to improve and im sure many of them will when they have been there aslong as you have.... How much did you earn when you first moved to Moscow?? was it as much as you say now??

Giggens
01-05-2010, 14:34
Sorry didnt realise how old the thread was....

kazachka
04-05-2010, 20:29
I have found that on a salary of $4600 it is possible to live on only $1000 of it.
Example

7000 rubles for food. 2 people, per month
4000 rubles for transportation for 2 people. That means 70 underground and unlimited above ground.
600 rubles for internet
18000 rubles for rent. I know everyone wants a good flat but you can find pretty good deals if you are willing to make repairs on the side.
4000 Extra

In one year it is possible to save several thousand dollars.

Man- I just have to ask-WHAT DO YOU EAT? I don't eat caviar every day, but I'm amazed- 7000rub for TWO?! That would make maybe 2+weeks stretching it for me. I do eat like a horse-I have to, I'm an athlete! Produce here is such a rip-off, but I'm not going to be unhealthy and eat crappy either. Sure, you can save a little by going to the Vyhino rynok, but still, it adds up. I go there for fish and veggies. 18000 for rent-yes it still possible I pay+kvarplata+phone etcso I'm prob 17 ish after that.

Now in the US -yeah I can do Costco on 250$a month and I'm fine and quality kicks a$$ on the crap they sell at Perekrestok!

Bels
04-05-2010, 21:10
The end of the story truly is that this country didn't meet up to his expections, I think what he was looking for was a low cost of living in Russia, and he miscalculated. Even when his accommadation costs were, And another problem he might have faced was the slow redtape involved in trying to form a legal and efficient busines, Because believe me redtape really does slow down businesses who want to be efficient and effective here. That's my guess as to why he gave up, and perhaps there was also cultural problems for him also.

Bels
04-05-2010, 21:17
Let's not forget that he was asking for a decent standard of living, and assumed backed by a good company, in order to do good business. And I would assume from all his posts that he seeking a better standard of living thatn what he had in currently in his home country. Also I would assume that he was expecting a nest egg to return home. He obviously returned to his home country very disappointed with Russia. Yet he was probably a very able business mann. But even very able business men slip up now and again, especially when they make the decision to come to Russia.

Bells you have family to look after I think most people who take this poll are single shareing flat and finding thier feet.... Youv been there many years so think you are being a bit unfair.... Im sure people can live on this money but not on such high quality of life they are just getting by and trying to improve and im sure many of them will when they have been there aslong as you have.... How much did you earn when you first moved to Moscow?? was it as much as you say now??

kazachka
04-05-2010, 21:25
The end of the story truly is that this country didn't meet up to his expections, I think what he was looking for was a low cost of living in Russia, and he miscalculated. Even when his accommadation costs were, And another problem he might have faced was the slow redtape involved in trying to form a legal and efficient busines, Because believe me redtape really does slow down businesses who want to be efficient and effective here. That's my guess as to why he gave up, and perhaps there was also cultural problems for him also.

It us frustrating though to those of us old timers who remember when it was just dirt cheap to live here. For those who have not been here more than a couple yrs or so, they won't understand because they can't compare.It really was DIRT CHEAP to live here then about 6 yrs or so ago, things began to just skyrocket. Everything from the cost of living to real estate went through the roof but the product never really improved(sort of like the airlines jacking airfares all the time and never making a better product). D@mn, it was so DIRT CHEAP that I actually SAVED $ by living here 3 months in the summer as opposed to staying in Alaska! Grocery prices here finally surpassed Alaska over 2 yrs ago and that just about disgusted me esp since Alaska has the highest cost of living in the US(but salaries are adjusted accordingly and we have a powerful teachers' union that assures salary is inflation proof).

TitusV
04-05-2010, 21:25
It all depends on where you live, the inner ring or outer ring. The inner ring is where the life of Moscow is, and it's pricey. You can live very cheaply in the outer regions but then you will be in the Soviet bloc suburbs.

Bels
04-05-2010, 21:59
How far in the suburbs are you talking about? Sorry! But for example, even 60 km from Moscow you will expect to pay much more, with litle choice in what you really want.

Now if you go further in distance perhaps you might geet cheaper, but I doubt, all you will have is less to choose from , with higher prices. That is life outside major city life, and don't forget that!! However there are advantages on living outside the capital city. But choice of purchase, and necessity purchase are not any of them. That is why so many Russians are trying to get in or near the city of Moscow. It is obvious to most, isn't it.

It all depends on where you live, the inner ring or outer ring. The inner ring is where the life of Moscow is, and it's pricey. You can live very cheaply in the outer regions but then you will be in the Soviet bloc suburbs.

ReallyGreatConcerts
04-05-2010, 22:02

Like on Rublevskoe Chausee. The financial crisis has left some people down to their last 3-4 sports cars. I heard of one guy who's been reduced to having his shoes cleaned, instead of buying new ones at Barvikha Luxury Village when they get dirty.

tvadim133
04-05-2010, 22:44
How far in the suburbs are you talking about? Sorry! But for example, even 60 km from Moscow you will expect to pay much more, with litle choice in what you really want.

Now if you go further in distance perhaps you might geet cheaper, but I doubt, all you will have is less to choose from , with higher prices. That is life outside major city life, and don't forget that!! However there are advantages on living outside the capital city. But choice of purchase, and necessity purchase are not any of them. That is why so many Russians are trying to get in or near the city of Moscow. It is obvious to most, isn't it.

I have just returned from my parents' place (Lipetsk is 450 km from Moscow, 500 000 of habitants).

I can not say that the choice in Province is less then in Moscow but there are a lot of local produced food in cities as well (macaroni, bread, eggs, chicken, juice, meat, ham and even fish (they have their own fish factory in Lipetsk) and so on), which are 30%-40% cheaper then in Moscow.

My parents spend about 6000 rur for two persons per month for food (they buy food in local Perekryostok), that is 100 rur per day per one person.

The same set of food in Moscow, but import or produced in "Moscow" (actually, these are international companies with factories here) costs me about 10 000 rur (Perekrestok and Victoria stores) per month.

We just compared some bills ( for example: 1. 10 eggs in Moscow = 50 rur, 10 eggs in Lipetsk (local)- 23 rur-30 rur maximum; 2. sausages (a pack with 8 items)- 180 rur in Moscow, 110 rur - in Lipetsk (better quality, I would say); and so on).

opag78
08-05-2010, 11:54
we are actually spending around 1000$ a month for two as basic cost of living.

We rent a pretty spacious room in Sokol (green, save) with shared kitchen and bath (but the owner, who is living in the second room, is young and works a lot)
17 000 Rubel (including water, electricity, Internet)

Metro , Bus, marshrutka as transport
2500 Rubel

Food - we buy from Sedmoi Continent and the market,( but we also have cheap canteens at our work places during the week)
10 000 Rubel

Mobile (1000 every two months)

500 Rubel

This would cover the essentials, so you CAN live on 1000$ for two, but it is just covering the essentials

Nevertheless there are normally neccessary extras, e.g. cloth, vacation, sport, dancing, entertainment, education ..

so I would assume that 2000$ for two would be a realistic value for a simple but decent lifestyle for two, or 1250$ for a single men.

inorcist
22-06-2010, 03:53
Hmm ... I think everyone here seems to be a bit right. In my opinion Moscow is about knowing where to go.

In Western countries it usually doesn't really matter where you go. Similar things will roughly cost the same. Whereas in Moscow I found huge differences in stores just 20 metres away from each other (worst example, a bottle of coke for 330 rub in one store and 25 rub in the store on the other side of the road).

When I first came to Moscow, I spent more than my salary in the first month. But after a while with some help of friends my cost of living (excluding housing) came down to about 100 to 200 USD per week. And that included going out 3 to 4 times a week, buying some new clothes etc. I didn't feel any difference to my life now in Switzerland.

Ah, and I did have caviar about once a week.

So, in my opinion, 2K per month sounds well possible. And that's actually what many of my Russian friends earn. You just have to know where and what to buy.

BrandonL
22-06-2010, 10:01
Let's see for me.

I pay 19500 for my flat, which I share with a flat mate, and with my girlfriend.

Metro for her and I, one month unlimited is 2000 rubles or so per month (she's a student)

Phone about 1000 per month for both of us.

food about 15000 per month, for eating at home and going out.

Just under 40000 for basic needs for both of us.

I make about 90ish a month.

so I have about 50k to spend every month, on her and I. I usually save about 20-30k every month. and I live MORE then comfortable.