PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the club!

vovik01
27-07-2011, 09:55
Yesterday I was robbed:-) At the Leningradskiy vokzal my tablet computer and my android cell phone was stolen from my bag ! I love this f..... country !:-)
Do not relax in this lovely country!!!

yakspeare
27-07-2011, 10:04
I guess your pepper spray didn't help...

FatAndy
27-07-2011, 10:12
It can occur in any f..... country !;)
Let it be most unpleasant thing of all your life.

Yesterday I was robbed:-) At the Leningradskiy vokzal my tablet computer and my android cell phone was stolen from my bag ! I love this f..... country !:-)

quincy
27-07-2011, 11:07

sorry to hear!

soprty
27-07-2011, 11:13

I am probabiy the only person in the world that has had stuff stolen in Switzerland, IN SWITZERLAND!!!!

This has abosolutely nothing to do with Russia because it really happens anywhere. In 6 years I Russia I have not had anything at all stolen...well, except for $18K I was stupid enough to lend a "friend" who said he was in trouble and once he ripped off a few people fled the county. Again, the latter is an example of my own stupidity and has nothing to do with Russia.

Cheers

PS
Sorry to hear stuff was stolen!

xSnoofovich
27-07-2011, 11:29
It can occur in any f..... country !;)
Let it be most unpleasant thing of all your life.

Sure.

My mt. bike got stolen a few weeks ago. Easy come, easy go !

Everything gonna be alright !

xSnoofovich
27-07-2011, 11:31

Good rule of thumb.

1) don't hang out at train stations.
2) don't drink near train stations.

mrzuzzo
27-07-2011, 11:36
I got in a fight at a train station about a month ago.. at the Kursky vokzal.

My girl arrived by train so I went to pick her up. I was dragging her luggage on wheels to the car when some drunk guy randomly came up and kicked the luggage, then started pushing me. Mind you, in the middle of the day in front of a bunch of cops! I was so f*cking pissed, we exchanged a few pushed and punches until one of the cops came over and the guy started acting all sorry... The fight didn't last long enough for any actual damage to either of us. I didn't bother following up (not good manners in front of girl) and we just walked back to the car.

Rule of thumb is avoid train stations at any cost! They attract the sketchiest of all people in Moscow.

yakspeare
27-07-2011, 11:37
I actually wouldn't have minded my mountain bike being stolen....my neighbours just stole the seat and seatpost off it! I mean if the bike is stolen you can pretend someone needed it ....but when your neighbours essentially vandalise your only form of transport it sucks.

FatAndy
27-07-2011, 11:41
I should notice that now Kursky is (or at least looks) much more decent than before. They've made reconstruction/renovation a couple of years ago. I know it well enough, going to my parents via it to South direction.

About sketchiest people... well, it's megapolis, they're everywhere.

I got in a fight at a train station about a month ago.. at the Kursky vokzal.

My girl arrived by train so I went to pick her up. I was dragging her luggage on wheels to the car when some drunk guy randomly came up and kicked the luggage, then started pushing me. Mind you, in the middle of the day in front of a bunch of cops! I was so f*cking pissed, we exchanged a few pushed and punches until one of the cops came over and the guy started acting all sorry... The fight didn't last long enough for any actual damage to either of us. I didn't bother following up (not good manners in front of girl) and we just walked back to the car.

Rule of thumb is avoid train stations at any cost! They attract the sketchiest of all people in Moscow.

FatAndy
27-07-2011, 11:47
Well, you know, usually some people arrive to voksal already... hmmm... in the good mood (sometimes even traced by friends or relatives) ;)

Good rule of thumb.

1) don't hang out at train stations.
2) don't drink near train stations.

xSnoofovich
27-07-2011, 11:53
....my neighbours just stole the seat and seatpost off it! I mean if the bike is stolen you can pretend someone needed it ....but when your neighbours essentially vandalise your only form of transport it sucks.

Hahahahahaha, and then a few days later, you noticed that they had a new seat post and seat cover...... ;b

needed it? i have a pretty good idea of who needed it.

A few weeks before, I started hearing noises at night in the corridors, and I started seeing vodka bottles and cigarette butts in the hallways, but no people. Then one morning, I saw a cut up pepsi bottle has pipe. Or at least tin foil over the mouth of the bottle. Then I started noticing used syringes laying around the outside of the poezd. I actually looked out the peephole late one night, and saw who it was - a couple of white 20-30ish looking hippy guys (one had dreads) that were sitting there, I watched em for about 10 minutes, and then something happened and they just got up and ran away outside.

I just can't imagine why someone would want to steal my bike. It was only 5k rub when I bought it brand new, and that was 3-4 years ago. I don't know how much money someone could get for it, unless maybe they cut it up and used it for spare parts, or took it to a scrap metal dealer.

Speaking of which, does anyone see bums collecting glass bottles anymore? Are there glass recycling centers that take the bottles? I remember that used to be a viable source of income for some.

xSnoofovich
27-07-2011, 12:02
About sketchiest people... well, it's megapolis, they're everywhere.

That might be. Some of the worst can be found in Moscow City, or even off Rubluvskya. However, train stations seem to attract the dirtiest of the sketchiest people.

Like at Komsomolskya - There seems to be some kind of racket/mafia run by Asian looking guys. Many times I have heard them try to sell registration, and I have seem them playing some kind of games inside the metro station, riding up and down in groups, and seeming to be doing some kind of business. The police seem to be in co-hoots with them. Outside, I hear people speaking in Arabic, sitting on blankets by the kiosks, and its not uncommon to have guys wander up to you with multiple phones and or watches.

Kurskya- Another strange area. Just before this place, going from Taganskya to Kurskya, you can see, or used to be able to see, a line of babushki sitting in chairs, and standing, with signs that said - rooms for rent by the hour. Also, in this area, I have run into various forms of street prostitution from 50 girls standing in a row (in a back alley, or just off the road), to working the bus stations, to actually working the night clubs/watering holes in that area.

Paveletskya- One time my room mate brought back 3 Chechens he meet while drinking vodka at 3 am to our flat. I didn't let them in. He was Australian, and didn't speak Russian. They didn't speak English. I don't know how they found each other or communicated with eacher, but somehow they did and all of them were in the best of spirits and were like lalalalalalalalala laugh laugh laugh.

FatAndy
27-07-2011, 12:04
I'd call 02 in this case. Once, getting up to my floor with elevator with other people, we had stop at 2nd floor, and I noticed a good portion of ganjubas smoke entered to the elevator. I've called police from home and they arrived in 10 min. Don't leave such "small problems" on their own.

About bottles. It was easier in Soviet times because we had very few bottle designs and there were a lot of collection points (btw, empty bottle was 20 kop, and bottle of beer was 50 kop, including that 20 and beer). Now, when each brewery wants to have their own unique design of bottles, it just has no sense... and these collection points are mostly closed.

Then I started noticing used syringes laying around the outside of the poezd. I actually looked out the peephole late one night, and saw who it was - a couple of white 20-30ish looking hippy guys (one had dreads) that were sitting there, I watched em for about 10 minutes, and then something happened and they just got up and ran away outside.

Speaking of which, does anyone see bums collecting glass bottles anymore? Are there glass recycling centers that take the bottles? I remember that used to be a viable source of income for some.

Judge
27-07-2011, 12:11

Sorry to hear,main thing is that you're OK.

FatAndy
27-07-2011, 12:13
Well, with current lack of hotels in Moscow these rooms by hour is a very good help for transit people who has several hours to next day between their trains...
You know, drinking people don't need any language to communicate, they understand one another by gestures, looks, eyes/faces expressions etc. :D

<...> going from Taganskya to Kurskya, you can see, or used to be able to see, a line of babushki sitting in chairs, and standing, with signs that said - rooms for rent by the hour. <..>
Paveletskya- One time my room mate brought back 3 Chechens he meet while drinking vodka at 3 am to our flat. I didn't let them in. He was Australian, and didn't speak Russian. They didn't speak English. I don't know how they found each other or communicated with eacher, but somehow they did and all of them were in the best of spirits and were like lalalalalalalalala laugh laugh laugh.

xSnoofovich
27-07-2011, 12:26
Well, with current lack of hotels in Moscow these rooms by hour is a very good help for transit people who has several hours to next day between their trains...
:D

Sure, I have noticed many such signs/babushki that do/have this biz. And it seems to be a pretty good biz, which doesn't really have the negative connotations that it (renting rooms by the hour) does.

DavidB
27-07-2011, 12:43
You know, drinking people don't need any language to communicate, they understand one another by gestures, looks, eyes/faces expressions etc. :D

I think they understand each other without any communication at all. Maybe not in reality, but least they think they do. :D

TolkoRaz
27-07-2011, 15:56

Did you not put up a fight? How come you allowed yourself to be robbed? :confused:

Are you man or a mouse?

NotMe
27-07-2011, 21:28
Just came back from Kurskiy vokzal (saw my friend off). :)

Being warned by vovik always kept my eye on my handbag with a purse where last 100 rubs left. :D

Computer and android cell phones were not stolen because neither me nor
my friend have ones.;)

Probably that's why we were not robbed?:p

yakspeare
27-07-2011, 22:00
People say you should stay away from Vokzals...I disagree.

Only in Vokzals do you see the real Russia...I was warned when I went a few months ago, and it was a delight. Two homeless guys fighting over a stick(not using the stick but fighting over it), with a crowd buying beer and cheering them on, beggars, lost travellers, oh the richness of Russia....and even more so on Russian trains which I consider nothing less than magical. I truly love them as it seems they are the soul of this country-travelling slowly over endless tracks with sucha diverse group of people onboard.

TolkoRaz
27-07-2011, 22:05
People say you should stay away from Vokzals...I disagree.

I agree - where else does a hot blooded male see soooooo many young MiliWomen in their tight fighting skirts tottering around on their high heels waiting to arrest somebody? :inlove:

yakspeare
27-07-2011, 23:03
I remember a few years ago I had to go through security at the airport and have the pat down...the women were absolutely gorgeous, and in these tiny skirts too....there was a long queue for pat downs that day...not sure how many people were actually flying though...

TolkoRaz
28-07-2011, 00:53
Have you crossed from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan into Israel via the Allenby / King Hussein Bridge - it was comletely staffed by gooooooooorgeous young ladies; I thought that I had arrived in Heaven? :inlove:

vovik01
05-08-2011, 20:56
Sorry to hear,main thing is that you're OK.

Thank's
I'm fine:-) F... sick, F... flu ! Pardon my french....3 day's in bed. Alone....:-))))
Bought a new, the same tablet...