View Full Version : Driving on UK License

Tim Y
27-08-2007, 19:23

Can someone advise me on a few thionsg regarding driving here on a UK license?

1. do i need a international drivers permit (IDP)?
2. Can i personally register a new car here or is it advisable to do it through a Russian citizen?
3. If the latter to (2) is it easy enough to get insured as a second driver on the car or what is the protocol with this?

Any advice appreciated

28-08-2007, 13:54
the answer is "yes" to all questions

Tim Y
28-08-2007, 14:15

29-08-2007, 12:38
Can you get away with a translated British license. Or would you need to get the international driving license officially translated into Russian?

I suppose it's at least advisable to avoid confusion with the police.

29-08-2007, 17:31
IDP is not necessary.You need your English License translated and stamped and signed by a notary public.That's worked for me for 6 years.I drive a company car though,don't know if that makes a difference.

29-08-2007, 17:39
That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

29-08-2007, 18:58
I always found they particularly liked the International licence that you get from the post office. That, the tech passport and power of attorney is what they want to see.

30-08-2007, 00:34
Just the UK license and a translation has worked for me too.

30-08-2007, 10:27
For those who have a British license translated, has the police ever stopped you, checked your license without confusion, and let you go ?

30-08-2007, 10:30
At least once a month...

30-08-2007, 11:10
My Russian wife and I both have USA licenses. We both had them translated. I have never had a problem with the police over mine. However, my wife got some grief ( at 3AM ) from the police and they would not let her drive so she spent 3 hours at the police station until her son could come to get the car. She then went to Court ( or where ever you go in Moscow ). At this place they told her she was legal and gave her a paper saying so.

I am not sure but I think that an international driver's license is only good for one year so I would have to return to the USA every year to get a new one whereas my regular license is good for 5 years.

30-08-2007, 11:52
I am not sure but I think that an international driver's license is only good for one year so I would have to return to the USA every year to get a new one whereas my regular license is good for 5 years.

I seem to remember some regulation or other that you can only drive on your National license for 6 months, after which you are supposed to get a local one... with the new law saying we need to leave at least every 6 months that is no longer a problem :-)

i have been driving here for 20 years with a regular US license and a notorized translation - I used to get the international ones, but its a pain to get a new one every year

30-08-2007, 12:02
sorry to side track - what is this about a new law that says we have to leave the country once every 6 months?

Tim Y
30-08-2007, 12:13
well i think its just as easy for me to get an international license when i am back in the UK as i paln to be monthly.

where do i go to get a licnsense translated/notorised?

Proper Bostonian
30-08-2007, 12:25
My husband (Russian) was told by Gai that I (American) an drive on a translated, notarized copy of my U.S. license. As a Russian citizen my husband is required to get a Russian license despite the fact that he has both U.S. & international licenses.

For Americans: you can get an international license from AAA through the mail.

01-09-2007, 18:42
And for the Brits I believe it's on the AAs website (Automobile association)
However from what I have read I'm going for my UK driving license to be translated.

02-09-2007, 22:16
If you get a Russian driving licence it runs till the end of your registration period. I just got my new one and it lasts till next August.:nut:

02-09-2007, 23:45
It seams that my posts are not welcome, so this is it. Rather take everyone trying to figger it out I will post what the deal is, and what I recommend you do.

On business Visa, in Moscow. Translated DL notarized. It may be law that it does not need to be notarized but try and tell that to a GAI on the side of the road. Remember this is only valid for 6 months officially, so in theory you should get a new translation each visa run. I donít actually know any one who does that but.

on temp res or res Not in Moscow then an International DL is the way to go, it usually confused the shit out of the Local GAI, so rather than look stupid they will just wave you on. Having said that i have had a couple of GAI question everything, as is there right to do.
In Moscow, the GAI Know very well what a international DL is so no advantage, but I have never had or herd of a problem with a translated and notarized DL

Today I drove to Moscow to have a look at the car show and a spot of lunch at Hemmis, round trip 610 klms, GAI checkpoints passed 12, Radar traps passed as seen 19, number of baton waves and stops 3. Plus one stop for doing a U turn in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All bar 1 stop was in Moscow, the other was in Yaro oblast check point, I just happened to be car no 3.

My doc are in order, our car is resisted in my wifeís name, this is written in Russian on the Technical and passport ( car), my name is written in my international DL in English only, the authority for me to drive my wifeís car is written in Russian, so there is nothing to tie me to being able to drive our car written in Russian. I also carry a translated and notarized copy on my DL as well. The point I am trying to make is that you may be able to get away with a lot at times, but just once you may not and then you are in for a hassle.

The U turn, ok I did it I got stopped. I did not speak any Russian other than to say net russkie, my mate ( Russian ) responded when asked was Net Angishki. this got the cop in a bit of a tiss because by law he can not issue a protocol unless the offence is explained, and as English is the official second language in Russian he must explain it in English, or he can detain me until and official translator arrives to do this for him. Ok so we can sit on the side of the road for a couple of hours ?? Trust me they can an will if you give them any flack at all, so donít. anyway he made comments that he didnít believe that my mate could not speak English or he would not be in the car with me. Strange he never thought it was me who could speak Russian ?

Anyway he just waved us on

Car ownership, you may notice that there is a RUS and a 2or3 digit number on the right hand side of each number plate. The number is for where the car is registered, IE I have a 76. And as the car is in my wifeís name it also has a RUS. Now if you are not a Russian citz do you think they are going to give you a plate with a nice little RUS in the cnr. Hell no, and imagine what a moving target you would be with out that little RUS LOL.
secondly if you are on a business visa and have to do visa runs, that means a new registration for your car each run and a new number plate. Kiss away another 2 days.

Also an other little fact is, if the car is registered to a Expat, no one else can drive it full stop period. Not even a mechanic, your wife, any one.

03-09-2007, 10:15
I have been driving and living in Russia for 5 years--- I have uk and Russian licence----- If I break the rules I show my uk and translation---- The russian system for them to take your uk licence plus as said above for them to get a translator just takes too much of their time and usually just let you go--- or if I am in a hurry few hundred rubles

if its a simple document check then I usually show my Russian 1----


03-09-2007, 11:50
All the others have had British licenses translated. Is it not true to say that British drivers or licenses have a good reputation world wide. I can drive in USA with my license, however I don't think they accept every country in the world. I know Britain is selective to countries. So maybe it doesn't apply to you Clean32.

However good informative post and I did ask if anyone had experienced translated british driving licenses translated and yes they have. That's good enough for me. Although my wife is still wary.

03-09-2007, 12:45
Russia has an AA and it is affiliated just like the AA in the UK, if you can read Russian Google there site. Its all there about what licenses are accepted. ( just about any place)

Its also interesting reading the mints of the transports ministers meeting about postponing the Law requiring childrenís seats.

Another point I forgot to write, is having but an international and a copy of you license. And giving the international to the GAI first, means that if you do get a protocol, the GAI havenít taken your UK license with them, only your international.