PDA

View Full Version : Affordable fashion

BabyFirefly
22-07-2011, 11:56
Hi,

As I'm from the Caribbean, I own a grand total of 0 winter clothes, and this is a HUGE problem... because I'll be here through a few winters. I've gone to some shopping malls here, and have found out that a "cheap" shirt will run me at least $40 USD. Not to mention everything's too big (I'm very tall at about 5' feet...) or so trendy it'll look ridiculous in a short amount of time and thus not justifying the cost.

Are there any places where I can get affordable yet fashionable (not designer or anything, in fact I'd prefer more basic yet classic pieces I can mix and match with ease) clothing? I want to think I'm just going to more expensive areas but I'm losing hope.

mei
22-07-2011, 12:14
If your are not so picky try stok, it's a warehouse of clothes. What is the nearest metro station do u live? So I can check where u could find one

mei
22-07-2011, 12:24
Here's their website. www.stock-center.ru. Get a card so you can have discounts whenever u buy,it's accumulative....I think they are 90%off now....there's a big stock branch near metro ulitsa 1905 goda

There's a branch on your line,gray line,u live in altufuevo, right?
м.Савёловская, ул. Бутырская д.6,
685-18-95; 685-15-49,
С 9 до 22

annasophia
22-07-2011, 13:16
Two words (ok, three) : Konkovo Metro station.

Go there.

mrzuzzo
22-07-2011, 13:45
Two words (ok, three) : Konkovo Metro station.

Go there.

Please elaborate?

BTW, where can I get brand-name clothes at reasonable prices (like D&G, Prada, etc) that aren't knock-offs?

I heard that there is some store which sells last season's collections at very reasonable prices.. but I could not find it.

BrandonL
22-07-2011, 14:00
H&M is cheap, and all over the place!

Inola
22-07-2011, 15:03
Hi,

As I'm from the Caribbean, I own a grand total of 0 winter clothes, and this is a HUGE problem... because I'll be here through a few winters. I've gone to some shopping malls here, and have found out that a "cheap" shirt will run me at least $40 USD. Not to mention everything's too big (I'm very tall at about 5' feet...) or so trendy it'll look ridiculous in a short amount of time and thus not justifying the cost.

Are there any places where I can get affordable yet fashionable (not designer or anything, in fact I'd prefer more basic yet classic pieces I can mix and match with ease) clothing? I want to think I'm just going to more expensive areas but I'm losing hope.

Hi, there!

I am not a fashion-crazed shopping person and go shopping when have no choice not to go:D, so probably am not the best one to advise on the subject... but am sharing 2 obvious ideas I had upon reading your post:

1. Discount Stockcenters: like Holding Center, etc. The link on a blog-type comparison of them with all addresses, etc... by someone who sounds like an expert in the non expensive quality shopping (the post is in Russian only unfortunately). http://www.minimum-price.ru/offers/wear_and_boots/stockshops/

2. Have you tried the market place on Savelovskaya subway station? It a very vast shopping area contained in several buildings where you can actually find anything, including clothes... As to the quality - it can be either bad, medium or very good, even fashionable, but you'll have to look for the right shops amongst hundreds of others... So, perhaps you won't find what all you need in one go unless you're accompanied by someone who knows where exactly to go, preferably speaking Russian... Also I doubt there is a lot of winter clothes choice now, as it's summer... It's definitely worth trying, but a bit later (starting from mid September)...

Savelovskyi rynok is not the only one of the kind in Moscow, but is one of the biggest... Konkovo is same kind of place...

Try Auchan or Metro Market

You come off as a real fashionista, Awesome bartender :D

PS Happy birthday! No point in going to BB tonight I assume? ;)

Inola
22-07-2011, 19:45
BTW, where can I get brand-name clothes at reasonable prices (like D&G, Prada, etc) that aren't knock-offs?

Internet shops is the best option for you, IMHO.. Know some fashionable people finding expensive brand things with huge discounts... Never paid much attention to their talking (don't remember where and how) but can ask for links, adresses at the next occasion, if you are interested...

ezik
22-07-2011, 20:54
Internet shops is the best option for you, IMHO.. Know some fashionable people finding expensive brand things with huge discounts... Never paid much attention to their talking (don't remember where and how) but can ask for links, adresses at the next occasion, if you are interested...

We're about to contract a Boutique for the card ... :)

martpark
22-07-2011, 21:44
New Yorker, a German brand, is usually cheap and sometimes fashionable. You can find it at Metropolis Shopping Centre on the greenline M Voikovskaya.

Giggens
22-07-2011, 22:18
Modis is ok quality and cheap, Prolyetarskaya

darkstarfox
23-07-2011, 13:33
Please elaborate?

I heard that there is some store which sells last season's collections at very reasonable prices.. but I could not find it.

try ELIT in Chistye Prudy Bulvar or Komision also along chistye prudy bulvar...they sell authentic second hand branded clothes...i think also reasonable prices ranging from 2000-5000, it depends on what brand name..they also have office and cocktail dresses...and of course shoes and bags...really luxurious

Arthuro
25-07-2011, 03:14
Clothes is not the best thing to buy in Moscow.
Usually moscovites buy it abroad themselves (in Italy, France, Germany, US or at small shops on the seacost where they go for a rest).

Here there are o lot of fakes, unfashionable things, all more or less good is seriously overpriced in comparison to Europe & US.

Another option is western online stores or some members-only sales that are becoming more and more popular in Russia nowadays.
The problem is that you can't try it on before you buy,

mrzuzzo
25-07-2011, 13:32
I went to stock center yesterday @ 1905 street and the clothes are mostly horrible. Wouldn't even pay those prices for the clothes they are selling.

xSnoofovich
25-07-2011, 13:45
I went to stock center yesterday @ 1905 street and the clothes are mostly horrible.

muhahahahahahahaha.

mrzuzzo
25-07-2011, 13:51
muhahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, I think I was the only white guy in the store, the other shoppers were all uzbeks or tajiks buying cheap clothes... Maybe other locations have a better selection but the one at 1905 street is horrible. It's good to buy shirts and clothes for dacha there but not more..

xSnoofovich
25-07-2011, 13:58
Yeah, I think I was the only white guy in the store, the other shoppers were all uzbeks or tajiks buying cheap clothes... Maybe other locations have a better selection but the one at 1905 street is horrible. It's good to buy shirts and clothes for dacha there but not more..

That place is terrible.

A few years back, places like the one at 1905 made sense, since there were only a few options to purchase reasonably priced clothing, but now with the addition of the super malls like evropesky, it almost doesn't make sense to go to these "bargain" stores.

The "familia" store at Paveletskya is a touch better, but not much. It is a good place to buy basic office clothes, cheap shirts/ties, etc, if you don't care about labels. I don't think anyone can go wrong with black slacks and white/colored shirt. Maybe find a more expensive tie + mos def shoes somewhere else.

JuliaL
25-07-2011, 17:57
Such shops as Ostin and OGGI (Man&Woman clothes) are also rather cheap. They are in most of big malls in Moscow (Kalyjskiy, Global City in Chertanovo, Vegas, Zolotoi vavilon in Yasenevo, etc).

mrzuzzo
25-07-2011, 18:06
I've been shopping quite a bit and I'm actually quite frustrated by the amount of hipster clothes everywhere! I can't even buy a normal baseball hat!

BabyFirefly
25-07-2011, 19:32
Went to Ostin and OGGI and scored some affordable clothes:-) and I went to another store, tried on a winter coat.... $2000. >:-|

swansong
25-07-2011, 19:35
since everyone is talking about clothes, i might as well ask too.... where can a guy find larger size shoes? found one place near Trubnaya, but wasnt thrilled with what the had or prices. thoughts?

xSnoofovich
26-07-2011, 20:09
since everyone is talking about clothes, i might as well ask too.... where can a guy find larger size shoes? found one place near Trubnaya, but wasnt thrilled with what the had or prices. thoughts?

Perehod by pavelestkya train station, towards the back, almost at the end, and on the up ramp towards the city. Not only do they have large, they are cheap ! 200-300 rubles for brand new shoes.

Cheers !

soprty
26-07-2011, 20:18
I've been shopping quite a bit and I'm actually quite frustrated by the amount of hipster clothes everywhere! I can't even buy a normal baseball hat!

I had the same problem and could not find a baseball cap anywhere until I went the HD store on Friday and bought this one:

martpark
26-07-2011, 21:03

Adidas/Reebok, Nike, Puma all have shops. You can find some half decent ones there. Even NHL teams.

soprty
26-07-2011, 23:04
And it looks damn spiffy on ya!

Thanks brotha!
:wavey: