PDA

View Full Version : Things that had great value in childhood

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 14:01
I was given some new shiny 10 ruble coins in the shop today and the children got really excited about them. That made me remember how I liked really new coins in my own childhood. At the time there were change machines in all metro stations to get you the 5 kopek coins - the price of the metro entrance. Very often the coins that would fall out of the machine were the new ones and it would make for a moment of happiness everytime. So the thing number one is

a truely shiny coin in your hand or pocket

mattology
18-07-2011, 14:53
For me personally, anything related to water - playing in the water, water guns, building a canoo and riding it down a creek...pure freedom and joy as a child (and still love it :) )

Well, maybe I've always liked it because my zodiac sign is Pisces :)

FatAndy
18-07-2011, 15:22
Try to ask your employer about job at Hawaii or somewhere at tropical islands/reefs ;)... if any.

For me personally, anything related to water - playing in the water, water guns, building a canoo and riding it down a creek...pure freedom and joy as a child (and still love it :) )

Well, maybe I've always liked it because my zodiac sign is Pisces :)

martpark
18-07-2011, 17:25
Coin-wise, the US Kennedy Half Dollar and then the Eisenhower Dollar coin with the moon on it were hard to find.

Then I remember the Bicentennial Quarters, or 25 cent pieces. Some strange woman in a shop gave me one as a child cos she thought I was 'cute'. My siblings were jealous when I got home.

I liked the old soda bottle vending machines. The Russian ones with the cup remind me of these.

http://images.craigslist.org/3k53md3od5V35T65X1b7ddb3dcf7bc36f1ef4.jpg

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 22:42
my zodiac sign is Pisces :)

I once read some popular article on what kind of food each zodiacal sign needs. There were different kinds of food for all signs. But against Pisces was written ''It's not what they eat, it's what they drink!''

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 22:55
Coin-wise, the US Kennedy Half Dollar and then the Eisenhower Dollar coin with the moon on it were hard to find.

We had a magic craze about a year ago and I bought a popular book on coin magic. All the tricks in the book were made with half a silver dollar. That's where they are. They were made to disappear by magic.

alouette
18-07-2011, 23:01
So shiny coins are things of a great value in childhood?:confused:

alouette
18-07-2011, 23:04
Very soon it'll be a credit card, not coins.

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 23:09
So shiny coins are things of a great value in childhood?:confused:

Yes, but not because of its material value. It's often irrelevant for the children what to carry in their pocket, but they do like to have something 'valuable' there, a coin, a piece of gl**** an acorn or just a rock. I must have at least two killos of rocks around the house at the moment. They find it, fall in love with it, give it a name and bring it home.

alouette
18-07-2011, 23:13
Yes, but not because of its material value. It's often irrelevant for some children what to carry in their pocket, but they do like to have something 'valuable' there, a coin, a piece of gl**** an acorn or just a rock. I must have at least two killos of rocks around the house at the moment. They find it, fall in love with it, give it a name and bring it home.

Nowadays kids are more material. Maybe it's for the best?

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 23:19

Often they are taught to be material by constantly not having what they want. And parents can play heavily into raising the level of material desires too. Not the best, no.

TZski
18-07-2011, 23:38
I must have at least two killos of rocks around the house at the moment. They find it, fall in love with it, give it a name and bring it home.

Maybe you have a future Geologist??

:book:

martpark
18-07-2011, 23:41

They are just as material as always. It's just now they have more choice.

alouette
18-07-2011, 23:48
They are just as material as always. It's just now they have more choice.

Not as material as adults.

martpark
18-07-2011, 23:50
Not as material as adults.

Prove it.

Marie Octobre
18-07-2011, 23:55
Maybe you have a future Geologist??

:book:

Maybe. Also a future chemist and physicist. The younger one has a chemical labaratory going in a bathroom at the moment and the older is currently into freezing stuff. I am quickly becoming really aprehensieve about the content of my freezer.

alouette
19-07-2011, 00:02
Prove it.

And certify it?

alouette
19-07-2011, 00:08
It's an axiom. Accepted without proof.

Judge
19-07-2011, 00:11
Very nice thread Marie, I'm really struggling trying to come with something that was of great value to me when I was young...

martpark
19-07-2011, 00:18
It's an axiom. Accepted without proof.

Or maybe a simple generalisation without much thinking. Imagine who is more materialistic, the 18yo with a new job or the 30 yo parent? Or even an 18yo with kids and an 18yo without kids. The one with kids is less materialistic because they have to support other people. Therefore logically speaking older people, who are more likely to have children, are less materialistic and more pragmatic.

Look at the people in the streets. Who are more interested in brands and designers? Old people or young people?

Marie Octobre
19-07-2011, 10:24
Very nice thread Marie, I'm really struggling trying to come with something that was of great value to me when I was young...

Maybe a bycicle? I never learned how to do it myself, but the faces of children riding really fast on their bycicles and pedalling away like mad, always take my breath away. It seems like they are flying. And grown-ups, being heavier, I suppose, rarely ride like that.

Marie Octobre
19-07-2011, 10:37
I think I know one more. It's getting happy by checking of one's balance by twirling Or at least how it looks to me. I remember when I was little we would twirle, or spin round and round, until we would fall laughing. I read later that by turning around we make some vital energy start working in our bodies, the energy that can even make us younger. So there

turning round and round and round until you fall

Krolick
19-07-2011, 11:55
I was given some new shiny 10 ruble coins in the shop today and the children got really excited about them. That made me remember how I liked really new coins in my own childhood. At the time there were change machines in all metro stations to get you the 5 kopek coins - the price of the metro entrance. Very often the coins that would fall out of the machine were the new ones and it would make for a moment of happiness everytime. So the thing number one is

a truely shiny coin in your hand or pocket

For me that was ice-cream and colourful glass beads))

yakspeare
19-07-2011, 12:16
My family has a sickness, it strikes us when we are very young and it continues through to old age. Most of my family have died from it.

It is called Gold.

Some of my first memories were panning for Gold, back when Gold was a fraction of what it is now....My Dad grew up in a gold mining town...my uncle and grandfather's were miners. My great Uncle disappeared in the desert looking for it and twelve of my family died in the mines.

Still it was Gold for me...I didn't see any monetary value in it, but I would collect it and hoard those rocks and flakes of it. I have an awful lot of it, but it will be passed down generation to generation, as I also inherited some. It is a fascinating hobby and while digging for some other reason is tiring, when there was gold at the other end you could dig all day.

I liked coins and I like stamps but I could stare at a piece of gold all day...it was always quite magical to me...and will forever be so.

Marie Octobre
19-07-2011, 12:56
For me that was ice-cream and colourful glass beads))

Beads! My younger daughter collects them. We also read a book ''The Blue Bead'' recently about a magical blue bead that makes its owner's wishes come true. Now they really stop in their tracks at the sight of a bead in any shade of blue.:)
Me personaly, I went for buttons. My mother had a box of them and I liked to take it out and play with buttons. Thank you for reminding.

Marie Octobre
19-07-2011, 13:07
It is called Gold.

I liked coins and I like stamps but I could stare at a piece of gold all day...it was always quite magical to me...and will forever be so.

That was fascinating, thank you. Gold is Leo's metal, by the way. When I was around 10 I would be sent to spend the summer to my aunt, who lived in a small town in Ural mountains. It was a gold-mining village in the past and there were still old mines or simply mysterious holes in the ground , so that the cows and goats would disappear on regular basis and everybody would go looking for them. I would find a piece of rock that had shiny inserts in it and imagine that it was gold. Once I really believed it was gold I would hide it under a lilac bush that grew in my aunt's garden,:) Maybe it is still there, my El Dorado.

Marie Octobre
21-07-2011, 20:29
There's a little bush that grows almost everywhere in Moscow. At the end of summer it gets covered in white berries that stay on the bush until winter. If you step on these berries they will make a little pop sound, so children will do it just for fun. The bush looks like this

http://copypast.ru/uploads/posts/thumbs/1265209289_symphoricarpos_albus_6.jpg

and in Russian called by its berries снежноягодник. In English, according to Google, snowberry. It is a thing of childhood for many.

Kraven Morehead
21-07-2011, 22:42
My dagger to fend off the wolves in the forest.

alouette
21-07-2011, 23:11
Or maybe a simple generalisation without much thinking. Imagine who is more materialistic, the 18yo with a new job or the 30 yo parent? Or even an 18yo with kids and an 18yo without kids. The one with kids is less materialistic because they have to support other people. Therefore logically speaking older people, who are more likely to have children, are less materialistic and more pragmatic.

Look at the people in the streets. Who are more interested in brands and designers? Old people or young people?

It is solely depends on a PERSON. Those with kids might be very materialistic and some without kids might be anargyros. And vice versa.

alouette
21-07-2011, 23:19
Do not accuse kids. They can't be more corrupted then adults.

Periwinkle
22-07-2011, 10:13
Interesting stories guys!
Marie - do you know where your family came from before they were sent to the village in the Urals?
(Whoops - see I replied on the wrong thread - meant to on the one about grandparents)