PDA

View Full Version : Computer/tv techie needed

NickR
22-08-2007, 15:30
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect my laptop to a Sony flat screen LCD tv but the tv doesn't detect a signal from the laptop.

Is there anyone out there techinically minded enough to understand what might be the problem and then come and fix it please?

I'm obviously willing to pay!

Please PM me - I'll be available this evening and during the day tomorrow.

Regards,

Nick

JeffK
22-08-2007, 15:50
Try this:

Most laptops have a "hotkey" combination that allows you to choose the monitor, the tv out or a combination of both. My guess is that you haven't enabled the tv out.

Jeff

NickR
22-08-2007, 16:12
Thanks Jeff - how do I find out what those hotkeys are please?

Rgds,

Nick

kris
22-08-2007, 16:14
Most laptop computers have an S-video out or a VGA out. If you have a flat panel TV, you may have VGA INPUT (check the back of the TV), if not you'll have to use S-video cable if you have it on your laptop .To connect your laptop to your TV, you will need an S-Video cable.

To change the display combination, press either FN+F5 or FN+F8.

SVideo is a round flat black connection, VGA is a 9-pin D connection that are normally blue.

The VGA looks like this:

http://techgurls.blorc.com/wp-content/scando01.jpg

The S-video looks like this:
http://tell.fll.purdue.edu/hatasa/kurosio/pages/svideo.jpg

good luck!

NickR
22-08-2007, 16:22
Thanks Kris....but I think my laptop's got both!

I'm getting more and more confused now!

kris
22-08-2007, 16:22
:rules:

Connect the S-Video cable to the back of your TV and turn it on. Using TV remote control switch it from TV mode to Video mode (TV/Video button, Input button, etc…). Turn on the laptop and wait until it boots to the desktop. Connect the S-Video cable to the port on your laptop. Now you have to use Fn+F5 keys to enable TV video output. Press Fn key and while it’s pressed press on F5 key until the TV output is selected. When you done with TV, set the video output back to LCD using the same Fn+F5 keys.
On some laptops you have to enable TV output in BIOS and connect S-Video cable to the laptop before you turn it on.

JohnnyLomo
22-08-2007, 16:26
OK, which brand and model laptop are you using? as the hotkey combo varies dependant upon this....

NickR
22-08-2007, 16:39
:rules:

Connect the S-Video cable to the back of your TV and turn it on. Using TV remote control switch it from TV mode to Video mode (TV/Video button, Input button, etc…). Turn on the laptop and wait until it boots to the desktop. Connect the S-Video cable to the port on your laptop. Now you have to use Fn+F5 keys to enable TV video output. Press Fn key and while it’s pressed press on F5 key until the TV output is selected. When you done with TV, set the video output back to LCD using the same Fn+F5 keys.
On some laptops you have to enable TV output in BIOS and connect S-Video cable to the laptop before you turn it on.

Hi Kris,

At the moment, I've got a cable that I bought going from the VGA outlet on the laptop to the TV.

Are you suggesting that I buy an s-video cable and connect that instead please?

Thanks VERY much for taking the time to help.

NickR
22-08-2007, 16:42
OK, which brand and model laptop are you using? as the hotkey combo varies dependant upon this....

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo bought a few months ago.

Thanks to you too Johnny!

kris
22-08-2007, 16:50
change the resolution on your laptop to something lower, maybe 800×600, sometimes that causes the problem.

NickR
22-08-2007, 16:52
change the resolution on your laptop to something lower, maybe 800×600, sometimes that causes the problem.

Tried that. It made no difference. Still no signal being received.

kris
22-08-2007, 17:05
If you do not get an image on your TV, double check your wiring, input selection, and resolution settings using a PC monitor. Also, double check to make sure your adaptor is plugged in, and receiving power.

or

buy an s-video cable.;)

kris
22-08-2007, 17:44
Examine your laptop for available monitor connections. Depending on your computer's graphic capabilities, you should be able to identify one or more of the following: a 15-pin VGA output, a DVI connection, or an S-Video output. Your computer could support one, two, or all of the connections listed.If you are unsure, refer to the video section of your computer's user manual.

Next, you will need to identify the type of television you have. It will be either an analog or digital TV. If you own an analog television, look for an S-Video input. If you own a digital television, look for an S-Video, 15-pin VGA, component video, or DVI input. Many of the newer televisions, such as Plasma, DLP, or LCD, should have a PC compatible 15-pin VGA input.

Finally,you need to find a matching connection between the two. If you have a VGA or DVI match, use that for the best image quality and performance. If you have a component connection on your TV and a VGA output on your computer, choose those connections. Use S-Video as a last resort if you have no other choice, or are not as concerned about the video quality of your connection.

Before you begin, download and install the latest drivers for your computers ]video card. The newest software has options for making this project easier than it used to be.

DVI cables provide one of the highest quality connections.

http://www.computercablesource.com/images/dvi-d-dl-mmf-series-combo.jpg

I think your laptop and LCD TV support DVI.

buy both DVI cable,S video cable.
PM me where do you live.I will try my best to come and fix:)

NickR
22-08-2007, 18:17
PM sent - thanks!

Nick

J.D.
23-08-2007, 08:30
I also have a Fujitsu Siemens. I've found two requirements. First you cannot be working on battery power. Second I have to reboot with the external monitor hooked up.

JeffK
23-08-2007, 10:57
From FJ's FAQs

I am having problems with the TV out on my Amilo M x100/x300/x500.

For TV Out to work the screen resolution must be set to 800 x 600. Then connect to the TV using a S-Video cable. Press [Fn] & [F11] keys simultaneously and the signal will be displayed on your TV.

Amilo Series FAQ (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/lifebook/General/FAQ/Amilofaq.html)

NickR
23-08-2007, 12:49
From FJ's FAQs

I am having problems with the TV out on my Amilo M x100/x300/x500.

For TV Out to work the screen resolution must be set to 800 x 600. Then connect to the TV using a S-Video cable. Press [Fn] & [F11] keys simultaneously and the signal will be displayed on your TV.

Amilo Series FAQ (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/lifebook/General/FAQ/Amilofaq.html)

I tried this...still no signal detected.