PDA

View Full Version : Baby due, Questions

Robbie..GSI
13-06-2011, 00:48
My girlfriend of 3 years is pregnant and is due in September.
The baby will be born in Moscow, my question is, because were not married will the baby only be entitled to a Russian passport or can I get an Irish one for him/her as well? Plus if the baby is entitle to an Irish passport can the mother then be entitled to stay/travel back and forth to Ireland with the baby?
Thanks

DavidB
13-06-2011, 01:38
Based on some quick research: If you were born on the island of Ireland, your child will automatically have Irish Citizenship. If you're second generation Irish, you'll have to register the child in the Foreign Births Register at the Irish Embassy.

My advice: Get a notarised translation of your passport, and make sure your name is on the birth certificate, spelled exactly the same as on the translation. Then get a notarised translation of the birth certificate into English and take it to the Irish Embassy.

The child being Irish doesn't convey any special rights for the mother to travel to Ireland, but it would make it very easy for her to get a visa as per EU rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law#By_descent

http://www.embassyofireland.ru/home/index.aspx?id=32361

Why don't you marry her, you fecker? :D

martpark
13-06-2011, 01:39
The baby is definitely entitled to an Irish passport as the child of a national. The mother of the child...not likely. Better to get married and then try to get her residency and then a passport.

DavidB
13-06-2011, 01:40
The baby is definitely entitled to an Irish passport as the child of a national. The mother of the child...not likely. Better to get married and then try to get her residency and then a passport.

Agree. If you marry her, it's very easy to get a residence permit in Ireland or anywhere else in the EU.

Robbie..GSI
13-06-2011, 02:53
Thank you for the replies, I am true and true Irish lol
Marriage I do have that in mind lol.
So a notarised translation of your passport? Im assuming I get this done in Moscow. Im back in Ireland now till September. Maybe stupid questions but this is all new and Im not the brightest :7525: :D
As for the notarised translation can I email them a copy of my passport or do they need the original?
Also would any one have a site/email address of a place that does this. One that you have used and is trustworthy.
Thanks again

DavidB
13-06-2011, 03:30
I don't know of anywhere in Moscow. I got mine done in St.Petersburg and it cost around 400 roubles. They didn't need the original, just a high quality scan of my passport, which was then printed and bound together with the translation and the notary's page.

You could email a scan to your girlfriend or someone else in Russia. I think all translators will know what is required, but in case they don't, just say it's for "ЗАГС".

martpark
13-06-2011, 10:24
I stumbled upon this. It might be just what your looking for.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0309/1224291667585.html

Non-EU parents of citizens entitled to residency, court rules

ilya25
15-06-2011, 00:46
I suggest you to get in touch with Irish Embassy in Moscow and ask them They are supposed to assist on such matters

Robbie..GSI
16-06-2011, 01:46
I suggest you to get in touch with Irish Embassy in Moscow and ask them They are supposed to assist on such matters
I have emailed them twice on two different things and no word back (typical Irish). Im giving it till the end of the week and I will call them.
Thanks