PDA

View Full Version : Novosibirsk..?

Carl
10-06-2011, 19:39
Novosibirsk..? Anyone?
Live there? Been there? Going there? Impressions?

FatAndy
10-06-2011, 20:49
Been there several times on business. Normal 'millionnik", people like people... speak less than people in Moscow, do more. It is typical for Siberia though.

Development of the city (Novonikolaevsk that time) has started around the end of XIX century, when we've built Transsib, so no too old buildings, city itself is rather big because of plants/factories evacuated during 1941 there and installed around city, then these territories were united to main city. So no beauty old buildings.

There is Academgorodok (Siberian division of Russian Academy of Sciences), separate town with big number of research institutes, mostly in physics and biology.

Do you have job offered there?

Carl
10-06-2011, 21:10
Do you have job offered there?

We opened a restaurant here about a month ago and will be opening a 2nd this weekend. I'll be visiting about every 6 weeks from here on out..

Flight schedule to here and back from Moscow sure does suck:(

FatAndy
10-06-2011, 22:46
Suck? MOW (all airports) -OVB (Tolmachevo), avoiding nightfights, examples:
5N805 (Nordavia) from Moscow SVO 10:30 with arrival 17:15 UT-583 (Utair) from VKO - 10:25-17:40
S7-179 (S7, Sibir before marriage) from DME - 11:40-18:45
S7-119 from DME - 17:35-00:35
U6-104 (Ural Airlines) from DME - 10:45-17:30 on Fridays

Carl
11-06-2011, 02:14
Suck? MOW (all airports) -OVB (Tolmachevo), avoiding nightfights, examples:
5N805 (Nordavia) from Moscow SVO 10:30 with arrival 17:15 UT-583 (Utair) from VKO - 10:25-17:40
S7-179 (S7, Sibir before marriage) from DME - 11:40-18:45
S7-119 from DME - 17:35-00:35
U6-104 (Ural Airlines) from DME - 10:45-17:30 on Fridays

As a frequent flyer, I try to stay with one airline (SU)...and I live @ Sokol which is much more convenient to SVO......I guess I should have said SU's flight schedule sucks.

AndreyS
11-06-2011, 02:22
As a frequent flyer, I try to stay with one airline (SU)...and I live @ Sokol which is much more convenient to SVO......I guess I should have said SU's flight schedule sucks.
Carl. Would you mind red-eye night flights?
I used to take them quite often. Look:you take off at about midnight and very early in the morning you arrive at the destination. And go straight to work. And work hard all day long (to say the least). Taking responsibility for all decisions you make. And in the evening you fly back to Moscow arriving at about midnight. And go to work next morning straight-faced, as if nothing had happened. Do you like such work schedule? ;-)

sis
11-06-2011, 07:29
the airport is quite a far way out of town, there is a metro with 2 lines, and Mega.
Somebody was telling me that Novosibirsk and Chicago are the only 2 cities in the world that managed to grow from a village into a city with 1 million inhabitants in only 20 years... Mabye this is not so correct though - surely in china a village starts at 1 million

FatAndy
14-06-2011, 12:27
Then take Nordavia (5Nxxx/SUxxxx code sharing, miles will drop to your card too) a day before - arriving to city around 18-18:30 gives you a plenty of time to take shower, have dinner (vodka + pel'meni), go to night clubs, hook a girl etc. ;)

Matt24
14-06-2011, 14:49
I spent quite a lot of 1996 in Novosibirsk, so this information is at best totally irrelevant, but just in case - there was a pool hall in the basement of the Sibir hotel that had real life knife carrying pool sharks, and the nightclub had the most intimidating FC i've ever come across, OMON dudes in full kit including Balaclavas and Short AKs. NS was also notable at the time for having good food for the regions, brilliant pelmeni at every meal that wasn't grilled fish, and an American dude (Eric?) had quite a well developed pizza and fast food operation. NS people are party people, and the whole going to the wilds for weekends was brilliant once I discovered Jungle Mix anti Mosquito gel - admittedly my memories are greatly softened by drink and years, but the mosquitos in the summer are a total nightmare that probably still persists, otherwise NS rocks.

woody125
20-06-2011, 19:32
We opened a restaurant here about a month ago and will be opening a 2nd this weekend. I'll be visiting about every 6 weeks from here on out..

Flight schedule to here and back from Moscow sure does suck:(

What restaurant? Genre? Address please.

There's flights all through the day depending on what airline you fly. S7 especially. SU has 3 a day even.

Wait a minute. Would that be Carl's Jr? In that case, I'll skip it. I do wish you the best though.

woody125
20-06-2011, 19:35
and an American dude (Eric?) had quite a well developed pizza and fast food operation

He's still here. A good friend. Has 9 plus 9 lives.

FatAndy
20-06-2011, 20:42
I've arrived for 3 days, by S7 daytime flight... It's always my pleasure to be here, after 3 years break. The city looks not bad, though as usual. ;)