PDA

View Full Version : Additional informatio about new rules for multi business visas

kseniaCH
21-08-2007, 12:18
Hello,

I know this issue has been discussed a lot here. And there is even special thread for it. However today I spoke to consultant about these new rules for EU citizens, so probably this info will be helpful for you.

So, as you know the new law was signed in June 2007. It said that by some types of visas (incl. multi biz visa) from now on you can stay only 90 days at the territory of Russia, and next 90 days you should stay OUTSIDE.

However, this law doesnít have any information about implementing it both in all the migration services and Russian embassies in EU countries. There are also NO sanctions stated for breaking the law. Thatís why migration services still give invitation for 365 days.

What does it mean?

You receive invitation by all Russian rules (= legal one) which said that you can stay in Russia for 365 days. Its totally legal paper. However, the new law that was made for Embassies says that they can give visa only for 180 days (period of visa 365, but you can stay only 180 days).

Consuls donít know what to do with this situation. And in each country they decide by themselves what they going to do.

Thus, I was told today that, for example, Latvia strictly follows the new rule and gives new visas with these restrictions.

But for example in France totally different situation: they do it randomly - one can receive 'normal 1Y mutli biz visa' and another will have visa with restrictions....

The good news for now is that, as there is still no information about sanction and customs officials have no instructions about how to calculate these 90 days in/out in Russia. So they canít do anything now even if you broke that strange law...

MaltSokol
10-09-2007, 11:18
I think the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) has not done anything yet, but the MID (External Affairs) has.
The problem is that there are two kind of visas around there, new and old ones. People with old ones can stay for 1 whole year (with 90 days registration limitation). I think they won't implement anything until the old visas are all expired. Or maybe everything will start once MVD changes to new invitations, if they plan to.
It's good news that MVD hasn't (apparently) changed anything yet and Passport control officers are MVD....

Anyway I wanted to know if new visas (the ones with additional information in the lower part concerning the 90 day stuff) state as "duration of stay" 90, 180, 365 or what.

If you take an old multientry Schengen visa, it says for instance "validity from 28.3.04 till 27.3.05" and then "duration of stay ... 90 days". Because, depending on the country, Schengen visa was even more restrictive, since they were able to stay 90 days in 1 year.

Actually, the field "days of stay" is new to the white-pink visas, since the yellow-brown ones didn't have it. The reason was that for Russian visa this concept of "days of stay" didn't exist, as you could stay as many days as your visa lasted.

I guess they said "alright, you allow 1 year, we allow 1/4... let's establish 1/2 year for everyone."
:doh:

Next one to enter Russia, please ask the officer about this. I'll do it in 2 weeks because I am on vacation in Spain.

Sorry for the long post.

See you,

Alberto

kseniaCH
12-09-2007, 11:08
Hi, Alberto

Thank you for your post.

My contact in agency explained it like this: as the law & the agreement contradict each other, AND there are no rules for officers to implement new agreement all embassies decide what to do themselves. Thus, I think in can vary from country to country..

One of forum members told me last week that his friend just recieved new multy entry 1 year biz visa in Paris without any restriction.. he can stay all 365 days in russia (but as previously he should leave country in 180 days to make a new registration).

But, unfortunatelly, as i wrote above, it means nothing... Thats guy recieved the old type visa, another one will recieve a new type. At least for embassy in Paris its like this. As soon as embassies will recieve the rules and recomendation concerning new agreement they will fully turn to new system, but now its a total mess..

MaltSokol
13-09-2007, 21:42
Even the duration of the registration is still a mess. I heard it is restricted to 90 days since 2006. So you should reenter 4 times a year. But in the same time, some FMS do registrations for 180 days. :)

JohnnyLomo
13-09-2007, 21:49
I got my visa in Paris and there was no mention of having to leave, only heard about that rule on here so not sure what the score is now...

ezik
13-09-2007, 22:36
The visa itself is ruling:
- you apply with an intended duration of stay
- they agree

Telling, upon issueing the visa, that suddenly the duration is restricted, is quite dodgy, I think.

My visa is valid for a year. That's where MID's work and authorities end. They let me ENTER or not.

Now, having the visa and entering Russia, only MVD can apply restrictions to my staying. That restriction is 180 days at a time. I got the 180 days registration and they IGNORED the 90 days mentioned on my visa.

If I'm applying for a visa, wishing to enter Russia, MID is the party I talk and adhere to. Within Russia, though, it is MVD who calls the shots for me.

The fact that MID and MVD obviously have trouble working out synergies for the moment is their problem.

ezik
13-09-2007, 22:39
By the way, input of those who work in the diplomatic services are welcome. It's the diplomats who figured all this out in co-operation with the Russian government, so I think it would be fair if they spoke out.

nativetongue
18-09-2007, 12:50
I got my ME commercial visa in February 2007 and returned to Russia where I was registered for 360 days, I don't have to leave at all, and if I do, when I get back I don't have to pay for registration again......nyak nyak nyak :D

Moe, Larry, Cheese! Moe, Larry, Cheese! :O ;D

MaltSokol
22-09-2007, 22:16
I got my ME commercial visa in February 2007 and returned to Russia where I was registered for 360 days, I don't have to leave at all, and if I do, when I get back I don't have to pay for registration again......nyak nyak nyak :D

Moe, Larry, Cheese! Moe, Larry, Cheese! :O ;D

Did they register it for 360 days?? Since 2004 it was limited to 180 days and in 2006 it was relimited to 90 days. I'd check it out... or the passport guys could do the "nyak nyak" thing to you when you try to get out.
:jester:

Bels
22-09-2007, 23:17
For Brits and Irish I still recommend you get your visa from your own country to ensure you have what your country has agreed. I see a problem for the other members of the EU.

Katrine L
22-09-2007, 23:20
Did they register it for 360 days?? Since 2004 it was limited to 180 days and in 2006 it was relimited to 90 days. I'd check it out... or the passport guys could do the "nyak nyak" thing to you when you try to get out.
:jester:
You can register for 360 days if you have a work permission (a plastic card)

Judge
23-09-2007, 00:32
A few folks on here know that i have a Brit passport and on my last visa run the Russian Embassy in Malta put this new 90 day rule in my visa.The embassy said it was a mistake,after a few phone calls to them i have decided to go to Malta before the 3 months are up and hopefully they will correct my visa.I'll be leaving in a 3 weeks,i'll let you know how i get on.
I got a 6 month registration on this new visa,which doesn't make sense, a canadian mate of mine just came back from a visa run in Finland and got registered for a whole year.

MaltSokol
23-09-2007, 10:09
You can register for 360 days if you have a work permission (a plastic card)

Right, but what he has is ME commercial visa.

Bels
23-09-2007, 11:32
Yes there is a one year multi entry business visa. But don't you have to leave the country at least for a few minutes and then re enter the country before six months. And hasn't the law now changed on this one.

However I was interested on reading about this plastic work permit and staying for the full year. Can anyone confirm this.

Rustralian
24-10-2007, 00:18
I am not sure if this makes it more confusing or less, but I have a Multiple Entry Business Visa that I obtained from the UK Russian Embassy in early September 2007 (I am an Australian Passport holder and have got them from Australia, Malaysia and Finland before with never any hassles). I also have a car in Moscow and that used to need registration done every 6 months, in line with my personal registration. This time when I got my registration I filled in the new style form and put on it the date of the expiry of my Business Visa - 4 September 2008 and paid for 12 months and when I then subsequently registered my car, the registration for the car was dated until 4 September 2008 - the full period of the Visa and NOT just 6 months, so I can only assume that my personal registration was also properly validated for 12 months (366 days to be exact as per the Visa) as they will only register your car for as long as you are personally registered.

How these new rules will apply, God only knows, and only then if he has been let in on the plan by the Government Officials responsible for it, if they yet know. I don't work for anybody in Russia and just come here on my Business Visa and spend money while living here with my wife (who is Russian) and although I come and go frequently for business, I generally spend more than 180 days in a year in Russia, so they are likely to impact me as well. I did note in a summary about the New Rules that I read on a website (Alinga Consulting Group (http://www.acg.ru) - Alinga Consulting) that the relevant Ministries can also give exemptions, so it may be that I will try to do the impossible and "persuade" someone to make me exempt, as I am a legitimate Business person that just spends lots of time here. However, until someone at the border tries to stop me coming and going, I will continue with what I have been doing and if I find out anything terribly earth shattering in the meantime, I will post the news here.