PDA

View Full Version : Shipping car from Italy to Russia; impossible task!

soprty
07-06-2011, 00:28
Greetings everyone,

I have been trying to ship a car from Italy to Russia for the past month and believe it or not I have yet to find a company that will do it! Anyone have any ideas? At this point I am willing to ship the car to another European country if it will make things easier.

Any information would really be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

DavidB
07-06-2011, 00:32
I think you'll have to drive it across the border yourself, because otherwise you won't be able to drive it. When you do a temporary import, only the owner can drive the car.

Estonia would probably be the easiest option, because there are good roads from there to SPB and Moscow.

soprty
07-06-2011, 00:40
no problem driving myself across the border but I really need someone that can transport it as close as possible to Russia and I cannot find anyone. A good friend had his shipped from the USA to Finland and then had a company pick it up in Finland and take it to the customs point in Moscow where he picked it up. He had no problems but from Italy it seems much more complicated and I don't understand why!

Any ideas?

Cheers

mrzuzzo
07-06-2011, 00:42
no problem driving myself across the border but I really need someone that can transport it as close as possible to Russia and I cannot find anyone. A good friend had his shipped from the USA to Finland and then had a company pick it up in Finland and take it to the customs point in Moscow where he picked it up. He had no problems but from Italy it seems much more complicated and I don't understand why!

Any ideas?

Cheers

You need to ship it to Kotka, Finland. That is the closest port to Russia. From there you'll drive it across the border.

You can drive it in Russia for up to 3 months on temporary import, IIRC.

soprty
07-06-2011, 00:48
Thanks a lot for the info!

This is kind of a stupid question but can I "push" it acrosss the border? The reason I ask is that I want to avoid having to get insuance just to drive it across the border. I have Russian insuance for when it enters but until it enters Russia it will be uninsured. Do you think it is possible? The best solution may be to go pick it up with a tow truck from Moscow which will be expensive but will avoid having to get insurance and then driving it from St.Pete to Moscow because I hear the roads are pretty bad.

Cheers and thanks!

DavidB
07-06-2011, 01:05
I'm not sure that you'll need insurance in the EU. But you will definitely have to have to keep the car registered in Italy, otherwise you can't do a temporary import. I'm not sure how people manage with the 2 or 3 year technical inspections for EU registration.

The road from St.Petersburg to Vyborg and Finland is ok. I'm not sure about the one from Moscow to St.Petersburg.

Hans.KK
07-06-2011, 03:18
I'm not sure that you'll need insurance in the EUYou do need it, and the "Green Card" (Europe car insurance covering)

But you will definitely have to have to keep the car registered in Italy, otherwise you can't do a temporary import.And the driving in Finland, it is to long to push the car. But there exist "transit" licensplates in Finland, they are white labels with red numbers.

I'm not sure how people manage with the 2 or 3 year technical inspections for EU registrationWe go "home" and do the dirty work there, and then return to Russia.

The road from St.Petersburg to Vyborg and Finland is ok.They should be the best in Russia I was told by some Russian. I believe it, I tried the "St. Petersburg - Moscow - Tula" trip, and it is loooong and the road is in very different conditions, mostly ok, but some parts "need attention".

I'm not sure about the one from Moscow to St.Petersburg.It is in some places bad, but it can be done, calculate 12 hours for the 700 km St. Petersburg - Moscow + what the city driving in Moscow takes.

But back to the shipping, the main problem is that there is not that many direct ships from Italy to Finland (Kotka in Finland is the place to hit for, Turko or Helsinki is number two). And you need a RORO (roll on-roll off) ship or put your car in a container.
I had used http://www.chrjensen.dk for carshipping DK-FIN some years ago and from what I remember they do shipping I-DK too, but if they have RORO ferrys for that part ?

By train is not an option unless the car is in a container. Any shippingc ompany can tell you the cost of container + shipping.

Then there is car transport on a truck/lorry, but you will properly have to pay for 2*Italy-Finland (2*3000km).

Best to go for is to drive it Italy-Germany and choose between DK-S-FIN, or S-FIN, or ship form Germany to Helsinki (if it still exist?) S-FIN is by ship too, otherwise add 1800 Km. of good Swedish-Finish roads and a lot of trees to look at.
Drive your self or hire one for the job. I can do it, but you will properly not pay me app. 3000 Euro for it.
But I think there will be an Italian young man that will do it if you pay his ticket back to Italy?

soprty
07-06-2011, 17:23
Hans,

Thanks so much for the detailed information!
I will let you know how things turn out.

Best regards

sis
07-06-2011, 18:29
this mob might be able to help
http://www.warkentin-gmbh.de/autotransporter.html
for a fee they will pick your car up in italy and put it on a truck going to moscow. Dont know how you will go with the temporary import... I heard that there is some way to do the temporary import in russia at the customs office.......

Matt24
07-06-2011, 19:03
There were RORO's operating between Bremahaven & Hanko, Helsinki, Kotka & even St. Peres- if you go container Hanko is very good, plenty of experience of moving specialty Italian sportscars for Mercury group - if they still exist AJR Logistics' somewhere on Leningradsky Shosse might be worth a shout, they speak English.

tasel
07-06-2011, 23:58
Contact Ahlers logistics.

Greg
08-06-2011, 09:15
Buy a car in Moscow... :)