PDA

View Full Version : Estonia-Russia border or Latvia-Russia ?

JanC
07-06-2011, 00:15
Has anybody ever crossed into Russia from Estonia?

I will be driving our Russian car back from Europe to Moscow soon, in january we used the latvia crossing which went reasonably well but it was january 2nd so very calm.

We are spending a few days in Riga anyway, and I noticed the roads are slightly bigger from Riga to Estonia to the Russian border, and from the Russian border back down to the M9. In total it looks like it would add around 200kms in distance, but would get some of that back with a higher avg speed.
Also because it is that much further it seems to me the Latvian border would be more popular than the Estonian one which serves a much smaller portion of land on the map.

Anyone with experience?

JanC
14-06-2011, 21:19
Well in case anyone ever wants to do Riga-Moscow....i can highly recommend taking the E77 out of Riga to the north-east, do 20km of Estonia and then use the Estonia-Russia border near Pskov.

The distance is around 80km more in total but the roads are MUCH better/faster from Riga to the border. We gained more than 1 hour just on that first bit because it was almost exclusively a 90 km/h abandoned road in good condition.. it was 100 km/h on cruise control 95% of the way.
Pskov back down to the M9 is reasonable road, not very fast but not slow either.

At the border monday morning around 10:15 AM, there was a short line of cars...we got in around 20 mins after arriving, it did take another hour to clear all of the hurdles but I'm quite confident in total we shaved hours off the trip by not going through Zilupe.

There was a pretty long line on the other side of the border however to get into Estonia. Maybe because it was a Russian holiday (monday 13 june)

Even the border staff seemed friendlier...and let us get away with something they apparently had a rule against, without any bribes even (on the russian side)

All in all glad I made the right choice.

Tony P
14-06-2011, 21:51
I have entered RUS from EST at Narva/Ivangorod by both car and moto.
Both occasions took about an hour from joining the intitial queue to the 'open road'.

By contrast, LAT to RUS at Zilupe has always taken at least 2 hours by moto (despite riding to the head of each queue) and 3 weeks ago by car took us over 8 hours !!

This last occasion there were only 30 cars ahead of me when I arrived. When we eventually got processed we asked why the delay. We were told the RUS side shut for over an hour while a personnel shift changed and there had been several Import/Transit cars which take much longer.
We were recommended by several officials to next time use the A13 E262 further north between Karsava and Остров at Гавры.

The M9 E22 'Riga Road' has a very, very bad section of sharp, deep potholes between 250 Km and 350Km from Moscow. :thumbdwn:
We got 3 flat tyres - two with completely ruined sidewalls. 7 people were killed there last week when a car and bus collided and burnt out swerving to avoid potholes.

JanC
14-06-2011, 22:53
The M9 E22 'Riga Road' has a very, very bad section of sharp, deep potholes between 250 Km and 350Km from Moscow. :thumbdwn:
We got 3 flat tyres - two with completely ruined sidewalls. 7 people were killed there last week when a car and bus collided and burnt out swerving to avoid potholes.

That's definitely true...i was surprised how good the roads were (last time we drove in january in snow) until we hit that stretch...i was surprised all my tires were OK...especially since they were 255/35/19 low profile they are easy to hurt. Horrible section of road, would not even be used for shock absorber testing.

Did not see much police on either trip though...none at all in january and just a few lasering next to the road this time, did not get stopped.

DavidB
15-06-2011, 00:04
I don't know if it's of any significance, but the coaches which run from St.Petersburg to Riga and back run along the following route:

Riga
Valga
Tartu
Johvi
Narva
-- border --
Kingissepp
St.Petersburg

None of them go via Pskov, which seems to be a much more direct route. Does anyone know why?

Tony P
15-06-2011, 00:21
None of them go via Pskov, which seems to be a much more direct route. Does anyone know why?

I can't comment on the Pskov route but the road from Narva to Riga via Tartu is SUPERB. Both in construction/maintenance and scenery.

The RUS road from Peter is reasonable except for the last 50km to the border at Ivangorod, which is a bit bumpy and potholed (as of last September).

The border is efficient both ways. I assumed it was because it is mostly tourist traffic with greatly reduced freight traffic volume.
BWTFDIK?

Augustin
07-08-2011, 22:10
Hi guys,
I would need to cross the border in this region end of August.
I understand going through Estonia is much better for boarder control. What about the road ? You say M9 has a very bad section, what about M10 from St Pete to Moscow ?
Is it worth to go to Narva, St Pete, Moscow ?
I'll have a quite sensitive car to potholes...

JanC
08-08-2011, 14:15
If you don't have to be in St Pete for anything it is a mighty big detour to Moscow...and either way some bad roads will be unavoidable I think.

I also have a car that doesn't like potholes (RS6 with stiff suspension and 255/35/19 tires) and I made it without damage across the bad pieces of M9 though it was god awful sometimes.

We did part of the M10 when we were driving back down to the M9 so away from St P, I didn't notice much difference on average but the worst pieces of M9 were definitely worse than those of the M10.

cvansas
11-08-2011, 01:57
Ik verhuis binnenkort naar Rusland en heb een inboedel bestaande uit wat boeken. De inboedel is te klein voor verhuisbedrijven.

Ik ben dus op zoek naar iemand die toevallig met de auto naar Rusland gaat en tegen betaling bereid is boeken te verplaatsen.

Ik kan de boeken uiteraard bij het adres van vertrek afleveren zolang het binnen nederland is.

Augustin
19-08-2011, 17:10
If you don't have to be in St Pete for anything it is a mighty big detour to Moscow...and either way some bad roads will be unavoidable I think.

I also have a car that doesn't like potholes (RS6 with stiff suspension and 255/35/19 tires) and I made it without damage across the bad pieces of M9 though it was god awful sometimes.

We did part of the M10 when we were driving back down to the M9 so away from St P, I didn't notice much difference on average but the worst pieces of M9 were definitely worse than those of the M10.

Ok, thanks. I drive a 406 coupe V6 with stock tires but very firm suspensions... we'll see. I'll try the Pskov way, don't want to wait 8hours... Will be there in 7 days.

Judge
19-08-2011, 17:50
Pskov way sounds best..I entered Russia by the M9 Riga road and spent 6 hrs waiting and waiting..A big problem is people(usually expensive cars? jumping the queue without a care in the world and getting away with it...

Tony P
20-08-2011, 17:52
A big problem is people(usually expensive cars? jumping the queue without a care in the world and getting away with it...

Welcome to Russia!!

Augustin
29-08-2011, 12:19
So I crossed the border Estonia-Russia on Friday, for a total time of around 2h30, but I was very lucky.

Indeed, BE CAREFUL, since 1st of August they have a new system in Estonia : you need to buy (3,5) yourself a number in the queue, and wait in the parking "terminal" until your number is shown on the tables, then go queue to the gards. Actually, I didn't know anything about it, so I went right to the estonian border control, with 5 cars only in front of me (of course). I got everything ok, then the guy searches me in the computer and asks : "Did you buy a number in the terminal? -Wtf?"
So I went there, bought it, and the woman tells me... 6 hours wait for sure. Cool. As the guard told me to come back as I got the number, I came back to him right away and got along with it... Lucky. But I saw, for next time, that you can buy your number in advance on the border website... got to check that.

Then Russian side : first time for me. There were very cool and professionnal, they did me the "vreminyy vvoz" for 3 months and not 1 w/o even strongly asking. I got it all through for max 10mins. I had a lot of stuff, including an entire 200 dvd collection (some under blister), they checked but did not care and did not ask me to declare anything.

Then I met the Russian roads, to Pskov, M9, Moscow. Very very bad roads indeed. Made it to Moscow in around 9 and half hours, without getting any tire flat, but sometimes quite afraid to do so !

JanC
29-08-2011, 17:56
Good to hear!

2.5 hours is till peanuts compared to what you'd probably spend at the Zilupe crossing (and getting to Zilupe is all small roads in Latvia)

The ticket system sounds pretty good, we were told something like that was in the making before we crossed. Could save you a lot of time if you know it and "book" in advance!

Tony P
29-08-2011, 23:12
I find the charging for going through a town close to the border somewhat distasteful. And discriminatory - there is no charge for those remaining in the town or crossing it in other directions.

I have never experienced queues at Narva that warrant a system of control (maybe I have been lucky) and last September felt annoyed at being charged to cross their town ONLY IF I was leaving it via the border.
I had to pay this new toll and was also asked to pay for the photocopy they took of my vehicle docs that they wanted to keep for their records - but at that point I baulked. After a controlled exchange of my feelings about if they wanted and made the photocopy they should pay for it, I was given my "non"
queue number and drove straight into the queueless border area!

And this is yet another infectious 'tit for tat' developing....

Seeking alternatives to Zilupe last month, I exited RUS via the A116/E262 (Ostrov/Karsava) border. No queues at all - BUT a barrier at the entry to the border controls area through which I could only proceed when I had paid 300 Руб. A "tax" which, according to the receipt, aparently goes to the local town/region.

In England they used to execute Highway Robbers by public hanging and leave the body up there as a deterrent!

The amounts are presently small, but so was the UK airport tax when it was introduced - now it is everywhere and exceeds most ticket prices!

(Rant over!)

DavidB
30-08-2011, 03:56
I had to pay this new toll and was also asked to pay for the photocopy they took of my vehicle docs that they wanted to keep for their records - but at that point I baulked. After a controlled exchange of my feelings about if they wanted and made the photocopy they should pay for it, I was given my "non"
queue number and drove straight into the queueless border area!

Should it be questioned that these idiots are still keeping paper records? The only justification I can think of is that they're supporting Estonia's logging industry. :D

I've also been through the Narva--Ivangorod border a few times and never saw even half of the inspection bays occupied.

robertmf
30-08-2011, 06:33
I find the charging for going through a town close to the border somewhat distasteful. And discriminatory - there is no charge for those remaining in the town or crossing it in other directions.

(Rant over!)

:11629: So did I, so I didn't pay.